Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,849 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 (66221 Views)

Top 10 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria / Top Ten Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria By HigherEd / Ten Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by dermmy(m): 10:56am On Feb 26, 2017
Derawiz:
I hope the certificates are made of golden plate with a sure oil and gas job after graduation, if I not I would save my money, enroll my ward in a reputable federal uni and open a multi millionaire business for my child after graduation

Nice comment, God bless you Sir. Greatness will never elude you.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Catastrophe: 10:57am On Feb 26, 2017
//

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Catastrophe: 11:03am On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

Well you might be right. I probably should have included those other universities you listed. I admit that.

You should know that what I am on about is not to talk down on private universities. On the contrary I know for a fact that their role in rational development is a big one. But that's when they build their foundation on a solid pedestal of creativity, discipline, and academic and social freedom. Stanford University is a ready example that comes to mind. And when you made reference to ABUAD building a teaching hospital like that of UK's Chelsea, I simply wished I could tell you a million things about that ABUAD teaching hospital right now.

Let me not say too much on it not to attract too much unwanted attraction right now. But let us not celebrate what a university plans to have, let us wait and celebrate what they already have. For instance, the same Medicine & Health Sciences is presently at the moment caught up in unspeakable crises that might lead to the sack of 120 of the already insufficient work force at the College of Medicine and Health Sciences... Plus, the teaching hospital was boasted to be ready and in full swing latest by January 2017. As of this minute, there have been no real recruitment for the workforce. It takes more than having so much money or erecting structures to really have a teaching hospital. You must be able to attact consultants in all the fields amounting to several millions of money in wagebill. And more importantly, your business model for the hospital must attract sufficiently number of patients to qualify your hospital as a teaching hospital for your medical school.
Now ask yourself, how many patients from the generally poor Ekiti community, would be able to afford medical health offered by an institution such as Abuad that is known for being very expensive?

Please I want candid instructive contributions from you and not the usual expletives used by many here.
This is so true the only reason there is civilization in Ado Ekiti is cause of the Federal Polytechnic and ABUAD

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by tosyne2much(m): 11:25am On Feb 26, 2017
Orpe7:
Gather the 4years money go start business even if u go d uni job isnt guaranteed
hahahah cheesy cheesy
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by MisterKings(m): 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
christm386:
LET NOBODY BLAME ME IF I BECOME AN ATHEIST. even wen built with member's hard earned money. Mtchwwwwww

Bro, Believe in God but ignore these white washed tombs called religion who tell themselves they know the way to God
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by tosyne2much(m): 12:23pm On Feb 26, 2017
Abalado:
Jeeeeeesu,oga o..am paying 65k in my schl and am stil owing d schl more than 3sessions schl,this life gan self...
Abeg no use laf kill me jawe.. Roflwkmd cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by coputa(m): 1:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
DrayZee:

A school is being subsidized by 1.6 billion and you say they have not done enough. It's obvious, you want quality education but you don't want to pay for it. This is just a case of greed. I've seen through you.
Affordable qualitative education...SMH. Name one quality university anywhere on this earth with fees lower than that of CU.

Statsocial just explained what needs to be paid for in universities and you overlooked all that just to come and type this rubbish.
young man,use your head for God sake.These universities were built with tithes/offerings and donations from members of the church,it shouldn't be compared with a private owned university.I make bold to repeat that,their fees should be scaled down.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 1:55pm On Feb 26, 2017
DrayZee:

A school is being subsidized by 1.6 billion and you say they have not done enough. It's obvious, you want quality education but you don't want to pay for it. This is just a case of greed. I've seen through you.
Affordable qualitative education...SMH. Name one quality university anywhere on this earth with fees lower than that of CU.

Statsocial just explained what needs to be paid for in universities and you overlooked all that just to come and type this rubbish.
Lol just leave that guy, he is one funny fellow. He just called 1.6 billion naira as if he is talking about 10 thousand naira. In fact I only got to know about this subsidy after reading an interview Oyedepo had some few weeks ago, he didn't talk about Landmark but am certain LMU is also subsidized in billions.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by jaytee01(m): 1:59pm On Feb 26, 2017
Statsocial:

Afe babalola uni is a secular university and not church owned so I don't know what point u are trying to make. Secondly, I know for a fact that both Afe Babalola and CU are not profit making.
Big fat lie there....... How do you know that they are not profit making? Do you keep their accounts?
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
coputa:
young man,use your head for God sake.These universities were built with tithes/offerings and donations from members of the church,it shouldn't be compared with a private owned university.I make bold to repeat that,their fees should be scaled down.
Are living faith members complaining to you?
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2017
Catastrophe:

Haha see I tell you people who go to public schools go there to jack, but majority of students in private schools are just there to make their parents happy. There are few students in private schools so the lecturers have to give them motivating scores cause if they start failing all of them and they start leaving that particular department, if that particular department doesn't generate fund then will they still have their jobs? That is why GST lecturers have an upper hand. But in public schools with little or no checks and balances whether the lecturer doesn't give anyone 4.7 self or doesn't go to class he will still be paid at the end of the month in a white envelope grin
That's not true. No university would give 5.0 easily not to talk of 5.0. Most public universities reduces marks when they know that the students merited it
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2017
Catastrophe:

See it's as if u don't know that Igbenedion University Okada is seen as a disgrace when it comes to Nigerian universities.. For someone who was a governor for 8 years and did nothing to improve the infrastructural developments of the country. Once at the airport in Edo when people saw him @ Lucky Igbenedion they started saying "8 years the road nor let you pass." So someone like that with that kind of history shouldn't be the face of the school talkless of the name. I asked lots of my friends what they think of Igbenedion university and all they could say ... In Edo whenever anyone hears the name 'Igbenedion' it is a personification of corruption. If u say u are a student of the school people will simply think of you as either a student who has not yet made JAMB, or hasn't made Maths, English, Physics, Government or even Chemistry. I have friends there now who got as low as 170-180 reading law and even 200-210 reading medicine is it not 3M! will they say no! If u go to the school all u see are students riding Porsche cars and BWM's etc.. Not that there not also intelligent students but the name is the problem with the school. It's just as if you tell me you are a friend of Bin Laden whether you are good or not what will I think of you?
You haven't answer my question. Are Uniben students not unemployed too? Forget all those rant about igbinedion,am talking of the issue at stake not politics
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

The bold is so not true. Things are bad, generally with our education in Nigeria, but not that bad for other countries not to respect our certificates. In fact, what those other countries look at is not really certificates but the individual competence of our products. Competition for job spaces abroad is extremely fierce, even citizens of those countries are caught in that web. I had seen a Russian who came for a job in a unit got recommended for dismissal because he lacked the qualities his certificates claimed. A similar thing had also happened to an American in the same theme. And yet, Nigerians from public universities sailed through glowingly. And yes, many Europeans/Americans with PhD do menial jobs because of the fierceness of their employment system. Having a PhD doesn't give you a job, having it with several years of postdoctoral exposure is what improves your odds.
Well if you say so because of my peeps had to start from the beginning because our certificate is useless. Do you know why,it's because of the numerous dubious things going on in our schools
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:21pm On Feb 26, 2017
AlphaStyles:

remember he also gave us air to breathe remember without this element what you mention is irrelevant
It's relevant because God has given man the freewill.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 26, 2017
Jerryojozy:
Hahaha! what u don't know is bigger than you. Have u asked yourself why average student from here performs excellently abroad? I put it to you to research on the performance of Msc students abroad from public universities and u will know ur opinion does not hold water.

Genius J
Don't worry when am done with my work ,I would proof otherwise.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 26, 2017
Catastrophe:

Haha see I tell you people who go to public schools go there to jack, but majority of students in private schools are just there to make their parents happy. There are few students in private schools so the lecturers have to give them motivating scores cause if they start failing all of them and they start leaving that particular department, if that particular department doesn't generate fund then will they still have their jobs? That is why GST lecturers have an upper hand. But in public schools with little or no checks and balances whether the lecturer doesn't give anyone 4.7 self or doesn't go to class he will still be paid at the end of the month in a white envelope grin

Thank you Catastrophe for that reply. I hadn't felt he/she deserved a response...
By the way, the way you write shows you really have an understanding about the working of a private university system.

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 3:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
Statsocial:

Afe babalola uni is a secular university and not church owned so I don't know what point u are trying to make. Secondly, I know for a fact that both Afe Babalola and CU are not profit making.

I am compelled to disagree with that fact. ABUAD's founder was reported to have confessed recently that he pumps about N9billion a year into the institution while the school rakes in about N13billion in tuition. That is tuition alone. Now consider the fact that every single kobo that is spent in the school goes into the Founder's pocket, including the cost of eating three times a day (the students are not allowed to cook), all the printing, all the purchases...every single thing finds its way back to the school owner's pocket.

And yes, that is how it should be because he is the owner of the school. But to claim it is not profit making is simply not true. I am aware Chief Afe Babalola has said the same thing several times on the air, but it is simply not true. The school makes profit, lots of it. They probably should have a closer look to where the money is really going if the founder isn't getting anything from it.

And by the way, the annual wagebill is not up to 25% of the tuition collected in a year.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Catastrophe: 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's not true. No university would give 5.0 easily not to talk of 5.0. Most public universities reduces marks when they know that the students merited it
Read: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/unilag-2-female-graduates-5-0-cgpa-reveal-secret-success/
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Catastrophe: 3:16pm On Feb 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You haven't answer my question. Are Uniben students not unemployed too? Forget all those rant about igbinedion,am talking of the issue at stake not politics
Yes they are
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Catastrophe: 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

Thank you Catastrophe for that reply. I hadn't felt he/she deserved a response...
By the way, the way you write shows you really have an understanding about the working of a private university system.
#Student grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

I am compelled to disagree with that fact. ABUAD's founder was reported to have confessed recently that he pumps about N9billion a year into the institution while the school rakes in about N13billion in tuition. That is tuition alone. Now consider the fact that every single kobo that is spent in the school goes into the Founder's pocket, including the cost of eating three times a day (the students are not allowed to cook), all the printing, all the purchases...every single thing finds its way back to the school owner's pocket.

And yes, that is how it should be because he is the owner of the school. But to claim it is not profit making is simply not true. I am aware Chief Afe Babalola has said the same thing several times on the air, but it is simply not true. The school makes profit, lots of it. They probably should have a closer look to where the money is really going if the founder isn't getting anything from it.

And by the way, the annual wagebill is not up to 25% of the tuition collected in a year.
Ok I just assumed he wouldn't want to lie knowing fully well the implications for such. Do you have an idea of the annual or monthly wage bill for an average Nigerian university?
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
well

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Jerryojozy(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Don't worry when am done with my work ,I would proof otherwise.
OK, will be waiting for facts to drive ur point.

Genius J
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 26, 2017
Statsocial:

Ok I just assumed he wouldn't want to lie knowing fully well the implications for such. Do you have an idea of the annual or monthly wage bill for an average Nigerian university?

That was my initial assumption as well, until I came across some info. For a Nigerian university, no, not really. But I shudder slightly to imagine how much that is.

I think public universities are way too cheap if we must consider how much the government pumps into the universities (which amount is still not enough). While I have something to suggest in that regard, my immediate suggestion is for the private universities to band together and really confront the Federal Government and force the PTDF/TETFUND to be disbursed to the private universities too. I personally think it is unfair to make private universities pay so much in tax only to deny them access to that huge fund. Without the fund it means that lecturers at private institutions are denied access to quality foreign training.

Imagine how much different things would be if CU, ABUAD, etc had access to these training/research funds?

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

No he is wrong. I matriculated alongside 10 boys in CU. Eventually only 4 of us plus one 'inherited' student graduated. Even though we were 10 at 100l we dropped some of our mates who either did not cross the 1.5 cgpa threshold or had too many carryovers that the school just deemed it fit to let such fellow retake the level. There were some courses like Mat 111, Phy 111 which had more ppl retaking it than new folks offering it. Some folks retook 100l courses till final year especially Bly 111(Animal diversity) which almost all of my classmates then failed, including me sef(That course is messed up in every uni). That BLY111 was one of hardest exams I had ever written in my life, some of my brilliant classmate retook that course till final year. So u can imagine my utter surprise when I discovered that one of our FG uni(unaab) offered the course as an objective. So pls the perception of private unis out there is in fact wrong.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

That was my initial assumption as well, until I came across some info. For a Nigerian university, no, not really. But I shudder slightly to imagine how much that is.

I think public universities are way too cheap if we must consider how much the government pumps into the universities (which amount is still not enough). While I have something to suggest in that regard, my immediate suggestion is for the private universities to band together and really confront the Federal Government and force the PTDF/TETFUND to be disbursed to the private universities too. I personally think it is unfair to make private universities pay so much in tax only to deny them access to that huge fund. Without the fund it means that lecturers at private institutions are denied access to quality foreign training.

Imagine how much different things would be if CU, ABUAD, etc had access to these training/research funds?
Well Lautech's monthly wage is 360 million naira(Am very sure). Yet lautech has just 36 programs which is same as CU. During the last release of top African researchers list I realised that CU had more notable lecturers which means their wage bill was certainly going to be higher. It was then I really got to understand how expensive tertiary education is. If a skul like lautech was left to determine its price the tuition would be around 500k.
I agree 100% on the TETFUND issue

1 Like

Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by JayB11(m): 4:29pm On Feb 26, 2017
curvilicious:
American uni of Nigeria tho the name wants to make me puke.
Where is Redeemer's, Madonna?
At d end of the day na dullards dem dey produce
cry
American University of Nigeria (AUN) is in Yola, Adamawa State.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by coputa(m): 5:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Statsocial:

Are living faith members complaining to you?
yes,they are complaining that they cannot afford the high fees charged by covenant university.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
coputa:
yes,they are complaining that they cannot afford the high fees charged by covenant university.
Well, I'm sure they know the way to the Church secretariat. They should go there and protest..
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by AlphaStyles(m): 9:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
asuustrike2009:
It's relevant because God has given man the freewill.
Abeg just block your nose let me see if you will be relevant again
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 10:26pm On Feb 26, 2017
bizme:

Still not true. I am a product of public institutions and yet I have also schooled at some of the best universities, ranked in the top 5 or so, in the world. That's not to mention many of them that I have had the privilege of visiting in official capacities. And I also work at both private and public universities in Nigeria.

My observations are the following:
1) Longstanding tradition of quality and self-pride is much more important than your school fees in determining the quality of the product. Case in point: when you meet products of Great Ife, of UI, of Unilag, you will have a little understanding of what I mean here. Products of these public institutions and many others that space don't permit me to list out, have a rich history of accomplishments. In fact, at my department at the public university where I work more than 95% of the academic staff have won several foreign grants including Commonwealth, Wellcome Trust, Ford Foundation, Chevening etc. That is, a lot has been expended in training these individuals and ensuring they are the best at what they do. Now compare this with the private university of my experience, less than 10% (including myself in adjunct capacity, the second dude is also not their fulltime staff) has won any of such grants for overseas training.
2) In Nigeria as in other climes, more than 70% of the effort to be an above average product comes from the student's personal motivation and discipline. Many of you commenting here and that have achieved recognition in your chosen fields are able to get there not because of the certificates you hold, but because of the way you have distinguished yourselves individually. That personal motivation aspect is largely lacking in Nigerian private universities for one or more reasons. In the first place, many of these children do not even know what they want in life. Many of them are too comfortable, and for some of them their pocket money is easily multiples of their lecturer's annual salary.
Now this is interesting, for most people at the public institutions, your motivation to jack and make something out of your life actually comes from your desperation to overcome poverty. But when a student's pocket money at the private university is several orders higher than any start up salary they will get paid as new graduates, what reason will they have to put hardwork into their studies?
Please, do not take this as a generalization. I write in relative terms. I must agree that I have met a few students in private universities who are strongly motivated. But they are often the exceptions unlike what I have experienced at public institutions (OAU, UI, UNN, UNIZIK, UNILAG, UNILORIN, UNADetc) where I have been privileged to interact with them.

Harvard is Harvard today, not necessarily because the students are excessively smarter than others, but because they are introduced into a longstanding history of excellence and distinction. So, even if you are no more than an average student here and you get to study at Harvard, even without any professor spending time with you the time you yourself spend with the history of the school, with the recognition of whom you now are, is bound to change you. To a lesser extent that's the edge institutions like UI, OAU, etc will continue to have, because of the rich history they have behind them. Private universities too will get there, but until they do so, there will remain a gap in quality between the likes of CU, ABUAD... etc and OAU, UI, etc.
Bravo.Your report and analysis is unbiased and I like that. I myself finished from a public university but that doesn't make to be boastful because most of the time was my personal effort and not the school.
Re: 7 Most Expensive Universities In Nigeria 2017 by Nobody: 10:38pm On Feb 26, 2017
Catastrophe:

Yes they are
Kk.So you now see we're on the same page.Now would an unbiased employer look at the university his would be employee graduated from or what the employee can deliver? That is left for you to answer. Now when I move around this so called public universities, I discover some malpractices going then I wonder why the exaggeration acclaimed to such institution? The privates aren't left out but I begin to wonder why most top politicians and lecturers don't send their kids to public universities in Nigeria but prefer private. Isn't there something that's lacking in the public schools that made them to switch,? The UI,Uni best,(Uniben), Unilag, e.t.c had made history but a small country like Ghana is rated above them,( university of Ghana). The irony of it is that it's public university yet it has most of the basic facilities. Haven't you wonder why foreigners hardly visit our universities especially the public ones? Isn't a shame on our part yet we're bragging and comparing public universities with private when the so called uni best universities are ranked low in Africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ugandan Lecturer, Nyanzi, Strips Unclad To Protest Eviction (video, Photos) / How To Perfectly Choose Subjects For SSCE / WAEC Exam / Father Beats His Daughter's Boyfriend In UNIZIK For Being Abusive - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.