Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,467 members, 7,861,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83732 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 1:40am On Apr 03, 2011
look @ the prices quoted in the links I posted for adding two lanes.

It doesn't come cheap in an urban area.

Someone show me a city as urbanized as Lagos where it was done for substantially less than $5 mil per lane-mile.

This is what is necessary to show that the road costs too much. No one has yet done that.

If you want the road to be constructed for much cheaper than that, then you'll get a road that will wash away next rainy season.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 2:24am On Apr 03, 2011
I will check the links once i get home. I cant do so now as i am on restricted access. Manpower and cost of materials are not necessarilly the same you know. Roads have been built in Lagos that are a lot cheaper and are yet to wash away .
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 9:32am On Apr 18, 2011
New battle ground opens over Lagos Lekki Toll Gate project
Monday, 18 April 2011 00:00 By Joseph Onyekwere Property - Property

THE legal debacle over construction of Lagos Lekki tollgate project, which appeared whittled some weeks ago, has resurfaced at the Federal High Court, Lagos, as an aggrieved party has approached the latter to wade into the controversy rocking the planned venture.

An earlier efforts by some residents of the area to stall the project through a judicial intervention by a Lagos High Court, had met a brick wall, as the state court struck out the suit.

In the suit, the residents had sued the Lagos State government, Lekki Concession Company (LCC) and others over the collection of toll fee at the Lekki-Epe Expressway. But Justice Candide-Johnson had punctured the move.

However, The Guardian has gathered that the Federal High Court is set to hear the matter, which has already been assigned to Justice Murtala Nyako, who would commence hearing on June 6, 2011.

In the originating summons, by Messrs Ebun Adegboruwa, the applicant is asking whether under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, Lagos State Works Management Board Law, Land Development (Provision for Roads) Law and other prevailing statutes, Lagos State Government is entitled to abdicate its statutory responsibility of providing road and other infrastructures for its citizens to private individuals and companies, purely for profit, in such a way that will lead to a contravention of the applicant’s fundamental rights.

Whether there is any law in existence in Lagos State made by the House of Assembly of Lagos State authorising the collection of tolls, money, tariff or any other fee howsoever described, on any road from the applicant and the people of Lagos State in contravention of the applicant’s fundamental rights.

Similarly, whether the imposition and collection of road tax, levy, toll fee or tariff from the claimant, road users and other residents and indigenes of the Lekki/Ibeju/Epe communities to have access to and use of the Lekki-Epe Expressway does not amount to discrimination and therefore a flagrant violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights as enshrined and guaranteed under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and therefore null and void.

Consequently, the applicant

sought a declaration of the court to the effect that the concession by the Lagos State Government of “its statutory responsibility of providing roads to and other infrastructure to the people and residents of Lagos State, to Lekki Concession Company Limited, purely for profit, is illegal, unconstitutional null and void and violative of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

He also wants the court to make an order directing the first respondent (LCC) to forthwith remove and dismantle the Admiralty Circle Plaza toll points erected on the Lekki-Epe Expressway as same is hindering free mobility and access to and use of the said road/highway by the claimant and the people and residents of Lagos State as well as an injunction restraining the defendants, whether by themselves, their servants, officers, agents, banks, privies or otherwise howsoever, from collecting, receiving any money, fee, toll, tariff or any such levy from the applicant or any other person for the purpose of granting access to and use of any portion or part of the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

According to an affidavit in support of the originating summons deposed to by the applicant, he averred that he contributes to the economic prosperity of Lagos State and of Nigeria, pay his tax and partake in other various ways in the development and progress of Lagos State and of Nigeria.

That “he is also an employer of labour in Lagos State and I have cases being prosecuted and defended in various courts in Lagos State and other parts of Nigeria whose outcome can be and indeed will be affected in one way or the other by the running of the administration and government of Lagos State.”

He swore that apart from having family members who lives and work in the area, his law office and library are based in Lekki, Lagos State, adding that as a leader in his church and community who reside in Lagos he has a great stake in the outcome of the leadership and administration of Lagos State and of Nigeria.

“I know that several other roads and other infrastructures have been built by the Lagos State Government without imposing the hardship of tolling and tariff on the people. Private companies and organisations have also built roads and other infrastructures in Lagos State for the use of the general public without any tariff or toll, being performance of their social or statutory responsibilities.

“There is no road in Lagos State presently where toll fee is being collected by Lagos State or its agents or concessionaire in any manner whatsoever as residents and indigenes of other communities in Lagos State such as Ikeja, Surulere, Apapa, Ikorodu, Badagry, Agege, Kosofe, etc, are not being subjected to any form of toll fee or road tax by the Lagos State Government for them to have free access to and use the roads built by the Lagos State Government in such communities”, he deposed, adding that if the 1st defendant is not restrained by an order of the court, it would be setting a very dangerous precedent for other parts of Nigeria and encouraging organisations and governments to abandon their social and statutory responsibilities to the people.

He said: “I know that the entire land constituting the Lekki-Epe Expressway was acquired by Lagos State Government under the guise of public use and enjoyment and the same government is now attempting to turn over the said land to the 1st defendant for private, personal commercial exploitation and profit at the expense of the land owners, the claimant, other road users and the general people and residents of Lagos State.”

But the first defendant (LCC) in its notice of preliminary objection argues that the subject matter of the suit does not fall within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court as contained in section 251 of the 1999 constitution, adding that the applicant’s claims as presently constituted are not justiciable by virtue of section 6 (6) (C) of the 1999 constitution because the claims bothers on public law rights which should have been commenced by way of judicial review.

In a 12-paragraph affidavit deposed to by one Olabisi Akinkugbe on behalf of the first respondent, the defendants averred that the action was aimed at irritating and annoying the respondents because the Lagos High court had earlier struck out the applicant’s amended originating summons for refusal to proceed with the hearing.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45116:new-battle-ground-opens-over-lagos-lekki-toll-gate-project&catid=25:property&Itemid=655
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 9:37am On May 07, 2011
Lagos earmarks N102 bn to build Lekki Int’l Airport

The Lagos State Government is to spend N102 billion ($ 650 million) on the construction of the Lekki International Airport which is expected to commence operation in May 2012.

The Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Mr. Adeniyi Oyemade, a Public Private Partnership projector told reporters in Ikeja that the proposed airport would handle 5 million passengers annually.

“The state government has obtained the site approval for the airport from the Federal ministry of Aviation and completed the master plan on the 3500 hectares of land for the project.

The Governor has also approved the conduct of the topographical and geotechnical survey of the 3500 hectares of land allocated for the Airport,” he said. Its construction will engage over 2,000 direct and indirect workers.

More details at [url]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/lagos-earmarks-n102-bn-to-build-lekki-int%E2%80%99l-airport/[/url]
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 2:48pm On May 07, 2011
Lekki International Airport which is expected to commence operation in May 2012

shocked
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by phuckNL: 1:16am On May 10, 2011
any photo updates on the toll road?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 3:48am On May 10, 2011
The Lagos State Government has indicated that the turning of the sod on the Lekki International Airport will hold before the end of year 2012.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Commerce and Industry, Sola Oworu, stated this during a press conference. Explaining that the project will be undertaken as a joint venture under the Private- Public Sector Partnership, Oworu stated that the financing of the project is being worked out as a prelude to soliciting for an expression of interest.

"It is expected that this could be put together within 12-18 months maximum," she said. "After which we expect to see the turning of the sod on the project." She said as a commercially viable proposition, the role of the state government will be to create the enabling environment for the take off of the project while private funding will execute it.

The airport is estimated to cost $650 million and designed to handle 5 million passengers annually, as has been approved by the Federal Ministry of Aviation with the topographical and geo-technical survey being undertaken.

wink
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:40am On May 17, 2011
Good news for commutters on the Lekki axis!

Seems LAGBUS has started operating on the route.

I noticed a few of the buses last week and decided to be on the look out for them this week to confirm that they have started operating on the route.

Here are some pictures from this morning:

Pic 1: At Femi Okunnu Estate taken at 7:10 a.m.
pic 2: Jakande (@ 7.14 a.m.)
pic 3:@ Oniru junction (mobil in the background) - 7.36 a.m.
pic 4: in front of Addax Petroleum - 7.37 a.m.

The time taken between Femi Okunnu and Addax was about 27 minutes. The delay was caused by traffic at the toll plaza.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:55am On May 17, 2011
We spent over ten minutes at the plaza.

pic 1: Joining the queue at the plaza.
pic 2: Four minutes later. Virtually no movement

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:05pm On May 17, 2011
I saw at least seven of these buses last night and about two or three this morning.

I think these buses were purchased specifically for this route.

Kudos to LASG/LAGBUS!

When will the blues buses join?

Can anyone tell us where the bus terminus is on the Lekki axis?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:46am On May 18, 2011
The ramp that would take traffic from Ozumba Mbadiwe on to Falomo Bridge should significantly reduce traffic around the 1004/Law School area.

I hope work on it is concluded soon.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 10:57am On May 19, 2011
The final bus stop is Ajah but I have seen them at night at the last Conoil before Greensprings. There were up to 7 there! Don't know if that is there terminal or dey all just stopped to buy fuel there.

I av been thinking about it. For the brt idea to work like on the mainland there would av 2 be a dedicated lane. If dey decide to do that, means we would be left with 2 lanes just as b4 but will still be paying toll.

What do u guys think?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 11:09am On May 19, 2011
^^
I don't see any provisions for any BRT lane on that road. Even the designated bus stops are too small I think.
Initially there was some talk about even a light rail provision on the road. Apparently, all na story. Politicians sha undecided
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 11:21am On May 19, 2011
^-- Is it necessary to have a dedicated BRT lane, though? You figure that since it is a toll road, traffic will move fairly rapidly.

Is this typical of toll roads?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 11:24am On May 19, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Is it necessary to have a dedicated BRT lane, though? You figure that since it is a toll road, traffic will move fairly rapidly.

It's the government's new deployment policy for the BRT scheme. Wherever the buses are deployed, there must be a dedicated bus lane. In the published designs for the new Lekki Toll Road, a BRT lane, as well as a carriage for light rail was indicated.
Now the road is being built and they are barely managing to achieve 3 lanes either side.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by ektbear: 11:28am On May 19, 2011
Hrm, I see.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:59pm On May 19, 2011
I think they are banking on the road being free with the additional one lane. There are no dedicated lanes for the BRT buses plying the 3rd mainland bridge.

I am not sure that assumption that the road will be free with the expansion will hold for too long.

The reality is that once a new road is constructed in an area or a road is given a major facelift, more people move to that area eventually congesting the road if not properly sized.

I hope the LCC has done a proper sizing or else the road will soon be congested.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Mariory(m): 2:38pm On May 19, 2011
Maybe the thinking is that providing BRT buses for the route will reduce vehicular traffic in general. You wouldn't have to pay to go through the toll gates on a BRT bus.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Bawss1(m): 2:47pm On May 19, 2011
Mariory:

Maybe the thinking is that providing BRT buses for the route will reduce vehicular traffic in general. You wouldn't have to pay to go through the toll gates on a BRT bus.

Does this mean the BRT buses are going to be exempt from paying the tolls on the Lekki expressway?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:06pm On May 19, 2011
Mariory:

A lot of the buses would be required to achieve that goal. When there are enough buses, motorists would be encouraged to leave their cars at home or parked at/near the terminals knowing that they would not have to queue for ages waiting for the buses.

With enough buses and motorists leaving their cars, there would be less traffic congestion, less travel time, more jobs created for the drivers, conductors, checkers, ticket sellers, etc.

There aren't enough buses on the Mainland/Lagos Island end right now leading to long queues. A bus assembly plant should also be in the works.

Ultimately though, a better mass transit arranngement like the rail would be needed though I don't see that happening on the Lekki Axis in next few decades with the concessioning of the road.

Good start though.

Pic: Long Queue at Marina a litte after the morning peak hours (this was actually taken at 8 am). At peak hours there aren;t enough buses so you have long winding queues

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:12pm On May 19, 2011
Bawss1:

Does this means the BRT buses are going to be exempt from paying the tolls on the Lekki expressway?

No. I think what Mariory means is that while the buses pay the toll, you the passenger are exempt.

Mariory, I hope I got that right?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 4:21pm On May 19, 2011
Mariory:

Logical if they provide enough buses. That's hardly likely.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by DisGuy: 6:15pm On May 19, 2011
perhaps they are introducing the buses in phases and since the road is not finished yet no sense making a dedicated lane

What they can do is, paint the lane dedicated for buses and put a sign up BUS LANE ONLY 6AM-9AM AND 4PM-7PM peak
with introduction of more buses they''l be cameras/officials monitoring the lane during peak hours, any other time anyone can use the lane
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 10:04am On May 20, 2011
Dis Guy:

perhaps they are introducing the buses in phases and since the road is not finished yet no sense making a dedicated lane

What they can do is, paint the lane dedicated for buses and put a sign up BUS LANE ONLY 6AM-9AM AND 4PM-7PM peak
with introduction of more buses they''l be cameras/officials monitoring the lane during peak hours, any other time anyone can use the lane

They've already completed drainage and pavement for the finished sections of the road.
Paint the road ke? In areas where the bus lane is functional, like Ikorodu Road, what they did was to fence off the bus lane, and post LASTMA chaps to monitor the lane. Okadas and Danfo drivers no sabi read signs o grin

They did paint the lane on Western Avenue and 3rd Mainland Bridge. But they never tried to enforce the law on those roads, probably cos of the very heavy traffic experienced on those routes at peak hours.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Mariory(m): 11:16am On May 20, 2011
johnie:

No. I think what Mariory means is that while the buses pay the toll, you the passenger are exempt.

Mariory, I hope I got that right?

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by mbulela: 11:46am On May 20, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Logical if they provide enough buses. That's hardly likely.

why is this unlikely?
me thinks this is one major way of decongesting the roads in lagos.
driving in lagos is not a luxury.
if there are a lot of buses (and well maintained), i will think that lots of people will leave their cars at home during the week.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by AjanleKoko: 12:25pm On May 20, 2011
mbulela:

why is this unlikely?
me thinks this is one major way of decongesting the roads in lagos.
driving in lagos is not a luxury.
if there are a lot of buses (and well maintained), i will think that lots of people will leave their cars at home during the week.

Unlikely, because of the sheer volume of people in Lagos. When you look at that and try to scale, the funds required to run and support a mass transportation service in Lagos to rival the City of London would be mind-boggling.

You know, lots of things have been tried in Lagos with little success. BRT is even enjoying moderate success.

How are you doing though? We haven't spoken in a while.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:03pm On May 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

There are routes where the dedicated bus lanes are physically demarcated such as this one on the Lagos Marina.

Sorry, the pictures are not very clear. The best I could get at the time.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:04pm On May 20, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:06pm On May 20, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by mbulela: 1:39pm On May 20, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Unlikely, because of the sheer volume of people in Lagos. When you look at that and try to scale, the funds required to run and support a mass transportation service in Lagos to rival the City of London would be mind-boggling.

You know, lots of things have been tried in Lagos with little success. BRT is even enjoying moderate success.

How are you doing though? We haven't spoken in a while.

dropped you a line once or twice.
you seem very busy i guess.
howz your end?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by eni(f): 2:09pm On May 23, 2011
What is happening on the Lekki axis is disheartening. A situation where you spend over 2 hours to get to work in Ikoyi in the morning and another 2 and a half hours back. I am personally disappointed in Gov Fashola for not standing up for waht is right. Why would a construction company fix a road, then come back a month after, open it all up while abandoning the portion in front that they claim to be expanding. i suggest we all petition the Human Rights violation body of the UN against this great injustice being done to human beings in that road. It is disheartening and sickening. a couple of my female friends have had to resign from work cos their family lives were suffering. angry sad cry

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply)

Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money / Nairaland Contractors Lounge / Meet Grasshoppers Seller Who Makes ₦20,000 To ₦30,000 Daily In Kaduna (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.