Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,295 members, 7,836,294 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? - Business (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? (83472 Views)

What's Happening On The Badagry Axis? / What's Happening On The Lagos-Ibadan Axis? / What's Happening On The Ikorodu Axis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:17pm On Jun 28, 2011
Mariory, I'll try.

Pictures from others are also welcome.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:43pm On Jun 28, 2011
I would like to draw attention to the danger of being robbed when using overhead footbridges at night.

Just last night, I believe I saw a lady being robbed on the newly constructed footbridge adjacent to Oriental Hotels at the Oniru Junction around 9.30 p.m,

I was in  speeding car (not the one driving) when I observed that there was  lady clutching her handbag while being accosted by a young man in the middle of the bridge. A second young man was also standing nearby on the bridge, looking down (probably as a lookout).

I believe strongly that the lady was being robbed. Though I may be wrong, I think is safer to cross under such bridges when it is dark.

With the advert boards also being attached to that particular foot bridge, crossing there during the day may also be a risk as it could be possible to get robbed without anyone knowing since the area would be covered up.

BTW, are the millennium bridges on the mainland still policed?

Maybe Eko Ile can help with a picture of the millennium bridge?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by X2X(m): 7:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
Mariory:

I'm glad these "what's happening. . ." threads are still alive. johnie any chance of pics to show construction updates?

+1.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 2:42pm On Jun 29, 2011
These LCC people are so wicked. They built the roundabout at Igbo-efon so high that when it rains, all the water flows into the road. See flood sha. This is 5 days after that heavy rain and the shops are still locked cos of the flood. No one can get in or out of their shops. Also, the people that built houses here early have the whole compound flooded. Mosquitoes have increased overnight. I don tire for this yeye Lekki.

I will post pictures soon.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:40pm On Jun 29, 2011
^^^

Blank,while I understand your anger and frustration at the situation, I do not think it is fair to place blame for the problem squarely at the foot of LCC.

I know for a fact that that junction is usually flooded whenever it rains. I have personally witnessed this in the last four years -long before work on the roundabout began.

The same scenario plays out at the Alpha Beach Road every year. The work done that particular roadby Julius Berger made the road passable between last year and now.

Where I agree that LCC has some work to do is opening up a drain channel for the water to pass through and I think that is what is being done on a plot beside Scapular Plaza.

In summary, I am saying that work on the roundabout is not the source of the problem but quick work on the drain channel should drain the water.

JB also need to create a drain channel beside the fence of the American International Schools to dry up the Alpha Beach Road but this must be linked to the drain channel at the express road.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 3:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
blank:

I don tire for this yeye Lekki.

Exactly a year ago, there was a set of photographs that was being circulated purportedly of a house in Lekki.

When the photographs hit the web, people scoffed at the residents of Lekki, VI and Ikoyi.

See https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-469392.0.html#msg6286407 for instance

Fast Foward to June 2011, the same set of people are questioning the achievements of Governor Fashola now that recent heavy downpour has exposed the underbelly of Lagos as an area prone to flooding.

see https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-696950.0.html#msg8572134

So, how are we sure those photographs are of a place in Lekki?

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 5:34pm On Jun 29, 2011
Those pictures are very possible. I could see people's compunds covered with water, i dont know whether it got in but the height of that water makes me believe so.
My advice, don't move into a house in Lekki unless u av seen it during the rainy season. We just moved here from Surulere but with what i have seen, i am moving back to the mainland or Oniru. This one pass me. The rain almost entered our compund. Thank God it is high.

I am having issues with posting the pictures but i will find a way.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 5:46pm On Jun 29, 2011
blank:

My advice, don't move into a house in Lekki Lagos unless u av seen it during the rainy season.

Real Estate 101: Don't buy land in Lagos unless you have seen it in rainy season.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 9:24am On Jun 30, 2011
God help me. It rained this morning and the water is back up where it was. I need prayers. I dont want my house to be flooded. Though i am not on the first floor but the compound can get flooded.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Mariory(m): 9:45am On Jun 30, 2011
blank:

God help me. It rained this morning and the water is back up where it was. I need prayers. I dont want my house to be flooded. Though i am not on the first floor but the compound can get flooded.

Err first floor or ground floor? If you're on the first floor your property should be completely safe unless the rain causes a natural disaster (Flash Flood).
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 11:10am On Jun 30, 2011
first floor or ground floor, all na US versus UK. Ok, my house na first floor which i am grateful floor. No flood shall come near my dwelling. Sorry that the picture is so large. Dont know how to reduce it.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:30pm On Jun 30, 2011
Blank, let me help you with more pictures from that same (Baale Street) of Igbo Efon.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 1:34pm On Jun 30, 2011
I pity the young school children who have to wade through this, the shop owners who cannot open their shops and residents who have to ensure the moquitoes being bred in the water.

Like I said yesterday,  this problem did not begin with the construction on the express road but the situation would be abated if the necesary drainage in done by LCC quickly.

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Remii(m): 6:36pm On Jul 03, 2011
@Johnie,

Maybe you work for LCC so I can understand your sentiments. I have leaved in the area for more than 9 yrs (not Igbo Efon in particular) and I can tell you they have never had that kind of flood, they always had flash flood that drains away when rain stopped. If LCC acted with the people's concerns in mind, they would have opened the drain to the other side before raising the road above developed structures level. This what they did at shoprite area just before the Admiralty Toll Plaza.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by blank(f): 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2011
@ Remii, what u said is not the total truth. There has always been a very big flood whenever it rained and it lasted for a long time. E.g, my street has never had a gutter till they just built one. However, they made it higher than the road.

The reason why it is worse this year is cos the rains have been heaviest this year. Last year, there was nominal rain. This year, we are having phenomenal amounts of rainfall. However, LCC is not helping by making their roundabout higher than the road n not doing the drainage. r, there was nominal rain. This year, we are having phenomenal amounts of rainfall. However, LCC is not helping by making their roundabout higher than the road n not doing the drainage.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by Remii(m): 8:04pm On Jul 03, 2011
^^^ Whatever the case, LCC added to an already bad situation by not taken necessary precautionary measure, which should have been part of their EIA for the project. I visit friends at Igbo efon, and i know that cars have never been so threatened as it is right now. Even SUVs drivers think twice before driving thru. It has never been like that, The road Igbo Efon Road especially.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
Alpha, Lekki beach residents call for removal of shipwrecks
July 5, 2011 12:25AM

Residents of Alpha and Lekki beaches in Lagos State have renewed calls on the federal and the Lagos State governments to remove shipwrecks on the coast.

The residents, at a protest rally held on Sunday evening around the beaches, blamed the shipwrecks for the erosion of about 100 metres of the beach area within the last one year.

Placards by the protesters had inscriptions such as ‘Mr President Save Our Children'; ‘Lekki Going, Going, Gone'; ‘Disasters loom in Lekki'; ‘NIMASA, Do your Job' and ‘Fashola, Fulfil Your Promise'.

Yusuf Atewolara, the traditional head (Baale) of Alpha Beach, urged both governments to expedite action on the removal of the shipwrecks, as they obstruct the receding of ocean surge.

"The beach started to experience erosion and degradation since these shipwrecks were dumped on the coast. Their presence is directing ocean surge towards us and our properties.

"We are, therefore, appealing to the federal and the Lagos State governments, as well as other relevant agencies, to save us from the impending disaster," Mr Atewolara said.

He noted that property worth millions of naira had already been lost to the fast encroaching sea, and urged the Lagos State government to deploy better resources for the removal of the wrecks, instead of the current piecemeal removal.

Sylvester Obuta, chairman of the residents association, said both governments and the relevant agencies needed to act fast to forestall emergencies likely to be associated with the surge.

Mr Obuta blamed the encroachment on the unregulated implementation of the Lagos State Atlantic Project and dredging activities along the coastline.

"We are urgently calling on both governments to expedite action on their plans to remove these shipwrecks for safety of lives and property on these beaches," he said.

Chukwuemeka Okolo, a resident, described the situation as an impending calamity which, if not urgently checked, would wipe out the entire beach.

Mr Okolo said both governments are paying lip-service to the problem of the surge currently facing the residents.

"The way it is going, if urgent steps are not taken, so many lives and property would be lost in the event of a serious surge, as the encroachment is becoming too much," he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5727171-147/alpha_lekki_beach_residents_call_for.csp

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 4:54pm On Jul 05, 2011
Women protest flooding in Lagos community

A small group of women in the Lekki area air their grievances about persistent flooding
Article | July 5, 2011 - 4:30am | By Godwin Akanfe

About 50 women, residents of Igbo Efon, a suburb in the Lekki area of Lagos State, marched to the Eti-Osa Local Government secretariat, with leaves and placards protesting. The march was about the blocked drainage in their community.

Mrs Iyabo Agbogun, wife of the traditional ruler of Igbo Efon who led the protest, said: "The protest is the best way we can alert the government of the suffering we face. We have been living here for more that 25 years; we have never experienced the kind of flooding we are seeing today; all is because of the ongoing Lekki/ Epe Expressway construction carried out by Hi Tech Construction Company."

"When we noticed that they decided to construct a roundabout at the Igbo Efon Bus Stop, we wrote to the Chairman of the Eti-Osa L.G.A. and told him that the construction had blocked our drainage system. He promised to do something, but nothing was done about it. The rains are here now; all we have is flood destroying our homes and our property," she said.

Agbogun complained that the women arrived the secretariat as early as 8a.m. with placards saying; "Our property has been destroyed by flood," "We voted for ACN but what we gained is flood," "Hi-Tech has blocked our drains," but had yet to be attended to at 11 a.m. She noted that it was not the first time the women had been forced to protest.

"After we voted them into power, all we got was arrival of policemen who threw tear gas at us without even finding out why we were protesting," Agbogun said.

Mrs Aisha Ologolo, one of the protesters, reports that they wanted the council to instruct Hi Tech to open blocked drains in the community or construct new ones to avoid flooding.

"Igbo Efon can no longer leave a normal life. Our children no longer go to school; we are scared to let them out of our sight because every where is flooded. We want the government to come to our aid so that our children do not die," she said.

Mrs Maria Isibor, had lived in Igbo Efon for 18 years, said; "Such an attitude cannot create peace. The government should create an avenue for all stakeholders to sit down and see how the problems can be solved very fast. When they wanted our votes, they came here to campaign and we voted for them; now we need them but we cannot see them," she said.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/women-protest-flooding-lagos-community

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by babaeko1: 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2011
Johnie

Thanks for your efforts. I'm thinking, with all the hype about Lekki, perhaps one now has to think twice

High cost of living in the area
Risk of flooding
Overpriced proeprties
Drinage problems in the area
Etc etc

Please let me know your opinion about Lagos state lekki scheme 2, is it a good proposition ? This is in view of all the water problems in Lekki, I have seen some areas where the street have no gutters, makes me think, when it rains like this, so what hapens ?
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by XNLEO9(m): 3:59am On Jul 07, 2011
@ Johnie please i don't mean to derail your daily posting on this tread but i cant help but to ask what became of the new land schemes Lagos state govt announced several months ago. Ive been searching the net for more info as to when this schemes will be available to the public for allocation, all i see is just news about the announcement and the names of the schemes. even the NTDA website is not helpfull at all. please, given your vast knowledge of the area and govt involvement in the area can you shed light on this issue, whatever info you have will be appreciated.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2011
baba_eko:

I'm thinking, with all the hype about Lekki, perhaps one now has to think twice

High cost of living in the area
Risk of flooding
Overpriced proeprties
Drinage problems in the area
Etc etc

Please let me know your opinion about Lagos state lekki scheme 2, is it a good proposition ? This is in view of all the water problems in Lekki, I have seen some areas where the street have no gutters, makes me think, when it rains like this, so what hapens ?

Thanks for the compliments, I do not claim superior knowledge of the area. As you are probably aware, There are also threads about Lagos-Ibadan Axis , Badagry Axis and Ikorodu Axis. The idea is simply to allow all of us contribute our knowledge and ideas about the growth and development of these places.

The Scheme II has been on the drawing board for a while now. While some of the infrastrcuture, mailny road, have been provided by the government, developers are yet to start contrcution of buildings in the area.

There exists a school, Laura Stephens Nursery and Primary School in the area but really there are no inhabited houses. For development to really take off there, I guess that co-operative societies might have to mobilise thei members to acquire a sizable piece of land and commit to start development. On the government's part, they would probably aregue hat they have provided all that is needed for development.

As per flooding, a visit to the site this season will actually give you a true picture of the terrain.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by cvibe: 7:58pm On Jul 07, 2011
Lekki is a place to avoid when it rains.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2011
That is an unfair generalisation.
Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:10pm On Jul 08, 2011
On monday this week, the women of Igbo Efon area protested the flooding of the area at the newly created roundabout on the express road.

As a result of the protest, motorists were held up in the traffic.

Pic 1: Motorists crossing over the median to drive against traffic in order to beat the jam.
Pic 2: Motorists driving against traffic towards the roundabout hoping to beat the jam. They also got stuck resulting in both directions of the road being blocked.
Pic 3: Long row of cars caught up in the jam

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:13pm On Jul 08, 2011
As a result of the jam, I had to go back to drive through the beach front at Alpha Beach to Lekki Beach and burst out at the old third roundabout.

Over the sand at Alpa beach heading to Lekki (Maiyegun) Beach

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:16pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:17pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:22pm On Jul 08, 2011

Re: What's Happening On The Lekki Axis? by johnie: 6:24pm On Jul 08, 2011
Note the 4x4 vehicle ahead of me.

Don't try passing this route unless you have a god 4x4 and a strong heart!

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

Nairaland Contractors Lounge / Man In Only Towel At Ecobank ATM Withdrawing Money (Photo) / Top 19 Lucrative Business You Can Start In Nigeria With Less Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.