Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa (107524 Views)

It Certification From The British Computer Society Equivalent To Bsc From Uk / What Does The Future Holds For The Hnd Holders? / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Carmal90(m): 3:45pm On Apr 28, 2022
RENOWNED2:

Too much stress. Any easier way?

Maybe buy from those guys that sells fx
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Nozino: 4:05pm On Apr 28, 2022
RENOWNED2:

Thanks.

How do I pay 218 dollars from Nigeria though? With the forex restrictions.

Barter by flutterwave.
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Akintunde22: 12:23am On May 16, 2022
Good job, my people, please don't let us relent in pursuing our dream, let's strive hard to gain freedom for our personal future family,
Wish every body luck on this USA student visa journey,
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Akintunde22: 1:03am On May 16, 2022
Please my people, I will appreciate if someone can help me out with a strong statement of Purpose
tayotob@gmail.com
God bless us all
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Rokingj: 6:54pm On May 16, 2022
Please I also need statement of purpose joedunmi01@gmail.com
Thanks a lot.
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by RENOWNED2(m): 6:19pm On Jun 04, 2022
Nozino please I need your GRE study materials.
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Nozino: 9:15pm On Jun 04, 2022
RENOWNED2:
Nozino please I need your GRE study materials.

Hello, I wrote the exam a year ago and I used several materials that I do not have anymore. Use the official guide and watch YouTube channels. Also take practice tests even if they are paid. If you read Engineering, I don’t think you will have any issues with the Quant session at all.
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Boyco: 12:19am On Jul 11, 2022
Daviduch19:
So i applied to another University with my HND and they Specifically requested for Transcript evaluation by either WES or FCSA. I intentionally informed them that i do not have the Funds and time to do WES evaluation which they accepted and recommended i do FCSA. FCSA is little bit cheaper and the transcript i have was used to do the Evaluation. The report cam out yesterday and WHoooooop My GPA of about 3.02 became 3.36. Am hoping every other thing go well as i hope to be admitted.

Guys Be intentional

Pls how did u do it with fcsa? Did u send them the transcript yourself or ur school sent it directly ...I'm asking because my school is in strike cuz of ASUU but i luckily got my un official transcript sent to me (after paying heavily for it) through normal naija backyard ways. I dunno if i can send the transcript to fcsa myself or it must be from the school?
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by tobijas001(m): 11:08am On Oct 19, 2022
Akintunde22:
Please my people, I will appreciate if someone can help me out with a strong statement of Purpose
tayotob@gmail.com
God bless us all
You can google search template of SOP for ur course. The contents of mine may not be related to your field
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Sureplug123(m): 8:05pm On Mar 14, 2023
Nozino:
I finally got my WES evaluation today.

HND- 2.98

WES US evaluated GPA- 3.34/4.0

US Equivalent: Bachelor’s Degree.
I sent you an email
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by finesttt: 5:53pm On Mar 17, 2023
GNwafor:
Fellow Friends;

Take Time to go through my reply about this thread:

Without mincing words, we cannot claim the ignorance of how the western world respect, honour, accept and revere our dignified Higher National Diploma. Our ND & HND certificate and curriculum is highly acceptable for higher degree admission. For most of the us who are myopic about the curriculum which we covered in our NBTE accredited National Diploma & Higher National Diploma program. It may surprise most of you who will read this thread to know that what you studied in your ND & HND curriculum is far higher than the required credit for a BS degree program.

My Story:

I studied ND & HND Chemical Engineering from IMT Enugu; and a Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) Piping Design & Engineering from MIT Pune India. Believe it or leave it. I apply for credential evaluation to World Education Service (WES) - New York USA in June 16, 2012. WES requested for the Transcripts to be sent directly from the Issuing Institution from Nigeria & India respectively. The Indian School sent their directly and it was honoured. I complete the required documentation for student from Nigeria, but they request for further verification from IMT Enugu Nigeria. IMT Enugu Nigeria, replied to their letter together with another copy of my ND & HND Transcript in the last week of February 2013. Then WES promised me that my evaluation will be ready on 7th March 2013. I guessed because of the weekend, the Evaluation - Course By Course Report from WES actually came out on 11th March 2013.

You will be amazed with what am about to reveal to you from the NBTE accredited curriculum ND & HND Chemical Engineering from IMT Enugu Nigeria.

This is it:

Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1 Credential Authentication: Transcripts were verified by the institution
Credential: Higher National Diploma
Year: 2008
Awarded by: Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu
Admission requirements: School Certificate
Length of program: Five years
Major/Specialization: Chemical Engineering
U.S. Equivalency: Bachelor's degree
Remarks: The program included one year of industrial training.

2 Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Statement of Marks
Year: 2012
Awarded by: Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune
Admission requirements: High school graduation
Length of program: One year
Major/Specialization: Design
U.S. Equivalency: One year of post-secondary study
Remarks: Upon completion of the program, Mr. Nwafor was awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Piping Design.

Institute of Management and Technology, Enugu

2003-2004

(L)Mechanics and Properties of Matter 3.0 B+
(L)General and Physical Chemistry 3.0 B+
(L)Introduction to Statistics 2.0 A
(L)Logic and Linear Algebra 2.0 A
(L)Algebra and Trigonometry 2.0 A
(L)Technical Drawing I 3.0 B+
(L)Use of English I 2.0 B+
(L)Computer Appreciation 2.0 A
(L)Basic Chemistry 3.0 B+
(L)Basic Physics 3.0 B+
(L)Introduction to Geometry 3.0 B+
(L)Chemical Engineering Calculations 3.0 A
(L)Mechanical Engineering Lab 2.0 B+
(L)General Laboratory Technology I 2.0 B+
(L)Plant Services and Maintenance 2.0 B+
(L)Citizenship Education 3.0 A
(L)Electrical Engineering Science 3.0 A
(L)Use of English II 2.0 A

2004-2005
(L)Thermodynamics 2.0 A
(L)Unit Operations I 2.0 B+
(L)Mass Transfer I 2.0 A
(L)Heat Transfer I 2.0 A
(L)Fluid and Particle Mechanics I 2.0 A
(L)Chemical Engineering Lab I 3.0 B+
(L)Chemical Engineering Drawing 2.0 A
(L)General Laboratory Technology II 2.0 B+
(L)Technical Drawing II 2.0 B+
(L)Communication in English 2.0 A
(L)Introduction to Chemical Engineering I 2.0 A
(L)Differentiation and Integration 2.0 A
(L)Chemical Engineering Reactions 2.0 A
(L)Unit Operations II 2.0 A
(L)Fuel Technology 2.0 A
(L)Instrumentation and Process Control I 3.0 A
(L)Safety and Environmental Control I 2.0 B+
(L)Chemical Engineering Lab II 3.0 A
(L)Corrosion and Material Science 2.0 A
(L)Introduction to Sociology 2.0 A
(L)Seminar 2.0 A
(L)Project Work 4.0 A

2005-2006

(U)Industrial Attachment ** 0.0 C
(**No credit was indicated on the original transcript)

2006-2007

(U)Advanced Algebra 2.0 A
(U)Advanced Calculus 2.0 A
(U)Laboratory Management 2.0 A
(U)Unit Operations III 2.0 A
(U)Chemical Engineering Lab III 3.0 A
(U)Heat Transfer II 2.0 A
(U)Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics 2.0 B
(U)Mass Transfer II 2.0 A
(U)Statistical Methods 2.0 A
(U)Use of English III 2.0 B+
(U)Computer Programming 3.0 A
(U)Numerical Methods 2.0 A
(U)General Instrumentation II 2.0 B+
(U)Unit Operations IV 2.0 B+
(U)Chemical Engineering Lab IV 3.0 B+
(U)Material Science and Strength of Materials 2.0 B+
(U)Fluid and Particle Mechanics II 2.0 A
(U)Polymer Technology 2.0 B+
(U)Communication in English III 2.0 B+
(U)Introduction to Psychology 3.0 A

2007-2008

(U)Chemical Plant Economics 2.0 B+
(U)Chemical Reaction Engineering I 2.0 B+
(U)Unit Operations V 2.0 A
(U)Process Design 3.0 A
(U)Pilot Plant and Scale Up 2.0 A
(U)Chemical Engineering Lab V 3.0 A
(U)Industrial Management 3.0 A
(U)Food Science and Technology 2.0 A
(U)Pulp and Paper Technology 2.0 A
(U)Process Metallurgy 2.0 A
(U)Unit Operations VI 2.0 A
(U)Equipment Design 2.0 A
(U)Process Control 2.0 A
(U)Plant Service and Maintenance 2.0 B+
(U)Safety and Environmental Control II 2.0 B+
(U)Petrochemical Technology 2.0 A
(U)Biochemical Engineering 2.0 A
(U)Seminar 2.0 B+
(U)Project Work 2.0 B+
(U)Literary Appreciation and Oral Composition 3.0 A
(U)Chemical Instrumentation Control 2.0 A

Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune
2011-2012

Post-Secondary
Fluid Handling 4.5 A
Systems Engineering 4.5 B+
Layout Engineering 4.5 B+
Thermal Insulation, Cost of Piping, and Hygienic Piping 4.5 A
Material Specification, Instrumentation and Process Control, and Corrosion 4.5 A
Welding and NDT Management, Statutory Regulations, and Regulatory Acts 4.5 A
Stress Analysis 4.5 A

SUMMARY
Total Non-Accredited Post-Secondary Semester Credits: 31.5 GPA: 3.81
Total Undergraduate Semester Credits: 184.0 GPA: 3.76

Need to order an additional copy, go to http://www.wes.org/apply/xcopy.asp.

WES EVALUATION TERMS
Evaluation Scope: World Education Services (WES) evaluates only formal educational credentials. WES does not evaluate professional experience. WES evaluations are based upon the best information and resources available to professional evaluators. WES evaluations are offered as non-binding advisory opinions.
Accredited Institution: The status of a nationally recognized institution in another country is comparable to that of a regionally accredited institution in the United States.
Credential Authentication: Evaluations prepared by WES specify the manner in which each document was authenticated. The method used depends on what is appropriate for the specific country and level of education. WES authenticates academic records by one of the following methods.
• by requiring that official transcripts be sent to WES directly by the institutions or examination bodies that issued them;
OR
• by requiring that official transcripts be authenticated by the relevant government authority (e.g. Ministry of Education) before being sent directly to WES;
OR
• by verifying documents submitted by individuals by sending them back to the institutions/examination bodies that issued them and obtaining a written confirmation of their authenticity.
Detailed country-by-country document requirements can be viewed at www.wes.org/required/index.asp
Grades/ Quality Points: WES uses an alphabetic system to identify grades. The standard WES conversion of letter grades into a numerical scale/quality points is as follows: A = 4.00; A-=3.67; B+ = 3.33; B = 3.00; B- = 2.67; C+ = 2.33; C = 2.00; C- = 1.67; D+ = 1.33; D = 1.00; F = 0
• “F*” indicates a course that was failed initially, but passed on a subsequent attempt. It is not included in the GPA calculation.
• “Pass” is not included in the Cumulative Grade Point Average. For study completed at the undergraduate level, it corresponds to at least a “C” in the United States. For graduate and professional study, “Pass” corresponds to at least a “B”.
Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated by multiplying the credits per course by the quality points for the grade for that course, repeating this procedure for each course, totaling the credit hour quality points thus obtained, and dividing by the total number of credits.
Course Level Designation: The designation “U” (upper) or “L” (lower) against a course at the undergraduate level is an indication of its level.
Credit Recognition and Transfer: The course-by-course analysis represents a breakdown of post-secondary study in terms of U.S. semester credits and grade equivalents. The number of credits accepted for transfer to a degree program or towards a professional license in the United States may vary from those listed in this report in accordance with the policies of the receiving educational institution or professional agency.
Evaluations for Professional Licensing/Certification: WES does not assess professional aptitude or experience. Only authorities qualified in the profession can determine whether an individual meets requirements for licensing or to practice the profession in the United States.

Matters Arising from the WES Evaluation:

In the US, a bachelors degree is completed in 4 years and as a BS degree student you are expected to earn/accumulate 120 credit points. But from my WES Evaluation, the combined years of studies for ND & HND is 5 years. From my ND & HND curriculum in Chemical Engineering from IMT Enugu, Nigeria, instead of accumulating just 120 credits, I earned/accumulated 184 credit. (Please bear in mind that in the USA, in an MS degree, you are expected to earn just 36 credits, which if you compare with my ND & HND curriculum, you can see that I earned extra 64 credit more than a BS degree).
Also, in IMT Enugu, my ND CGPA is 3.41/4.00; and HND CGPA is 3.40/4.00. From the overall WES evaluation, my overall CGPA is 3.76/4.00.

So from the foregoing, I think that with all the threads that I have read about HND & BSc dichotomy in Nigeria, I think that if you have graduated with a HND from a Polytechnic or Monotechnic, strive for a US degree, and save yourself of unnecessary anxiety and disrespect from our BS degree counterpart.

Presently, am preparing to apply for an online MS in Engineering from a Nationally accredited university in the USA.

Note: WES Evaluation has made more proud about my HND & ND in Chemical Engineering. I will be monitoring this thread to know your comments and provide further detailed information.

Thanks for this post sir.... I hold HND and ND in elect Elect engr. What's the way forward sir. I want to enroll for Masters in US
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by finesttt: 5:55pm On Mar 17, 2023
My CGPA at ND level was 3.77/4.00 and at HND level 3.91/4.00

Please I need guidance on how to navigate to get a Masters degree in US

I'll appreciate if anyone can help. I'm in need of scholarships too

finesttt:

Thanks for this post sir.... I hold HND and ND in elect Elect engr. What's the way forward sir. I want to enroll for Masters in US
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by iwuoahsamuels: 11:43am On Mar 18, 2023
pls share the WES USA email and how to go about it
Sureplug123:
I sent you an email
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by finesttt: 6:15am On Mar 20, 2023
Hello sir, please how did you go about it sir

Nozino:
I finally got my WES evaluation today.

HND- 2.98

WES US evaluated GPA- 3.34/4.0

US Equivalent: Bachelor’s Degree.
Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 12:50pm On Mar 24, 2023
Hi Everyone,

It has been 10 years (March 2013) since I shared my exposition following this highly heated argument about the US equivalent of the Nigerian HND Qualifications. Over these 10 years, a lot of people have reached out to me for guidance on how to go about the WES Credential Evaluation which I have been of help to.

To all people pushing hard, don't despair, the biggest challenge facing the current Nigerian generation is that our people hate any process-driven achievement, and if you must make it internationally, you must learn to follow the process.

As of 2013 when I did mine, a lot of schools in Nigeria do not operate any functional email address, even though the schools displayed it on their websites. A lot of things follow the traditional and conventional way - normal posting of letters.
Today, most schools now have emails that are working, and the process has improved. I encourage all to trust the process.

I have not had time to read and comment on some issues and questions on this thread. I encourage anyone asking questions to read from page 1 to the last page, you will find information about every question you have. I simplified almost all the hurdles and provided practical solutions.

Key points to guide most of you:

For the USA: https://www.wes.org/
For Canada: https://www.wes.org/ca/

For now, most Nigerian banks have dollar-denominated Mastercard/Visa cards for International Payments - Do get one of these and fund them directly from your Bank to make the payment for WES Credential Evaluation.

WES USA: Create Account - - Choose Graduate Admission as your Reason for Credential Evaluation -- Choose ICAP to enable WES to store your Credentials for Life - - Submit & Pay for the Evaluation.

I don't know the fees now, it is over 10 years since I did mine. Get all your information from www.wes.org

Download the International Transcript Request Form -- Fill out Part A, apply for your Transcript, and Ensure that Whoever Signs Your Transcript fills Part B of the Form, Sign & Stamp It and Attach It to your Transcript, and Send it to WES Address given to you from your acknowledgement Email when you paid. Request for both HND & ND Transcript.

Ensure Your School Sends Both HND & ND Transcripts to WES. If your school have an official email, the school can securely send the Transcript to WES, all this information will be given to You when you pay and submit an application.

If WES want to verify your Transcript, they can send an Email or Letter to your School to Verify the Transcript and Your School MUST write to WES confirming that the Transcript is "Authentic". Once that is done, in a couple of days, WES will send you an email that your WES Credential Evaluation Report is Ready and You can View It online.

Note: If you had Upper Credit/Distinctions in your HND & ND Qualifications, it will shoot up your GPA when the Evaluation is done.

Keep working on your Future and Remain Committed to the Process.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Abdulazeez Fatima: Pretty Police Officer's Photo Goes Viral / Why Do Morticians Knock At Door Before Entering The Mortuary? Scary Experiences / Cute Photos Of Policewoman, Nkeiru Nwode, Got Admirers Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.