|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,138,240 members, 4,643,765 topics. Date: Monday, 17 December 2018 at 12:05 AM
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by kolnel: 1:29pm On Jun 30, 2017|
Pls do you presently work in the United States with your Hnd ?
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by lightdream: 11:21pm On Jun 30, 2017|
planning to do US evaluation shortly.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Funnyguy83: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2017|
kemisole:please my people . can someone answer her question ?
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Funnyguy83: 10:14am On Jul 08, 2017|
wow ! great thread . I have been silently following this thread since 2015 . now am done with my HND program . am equally serving now. I pray and wish I apply for my Masters in USA before the end of this year . I wish to know whether my ND of 2.71 and HND of 3.12 is enough to do my masters in the USA . gurus here , over to you and help a humble brother please .
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by rinzaugustine: 4:56pm On Oct 23, 2017|
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 24, 2017|
HND is not equivalent to Bsc in USA.
As a matter of fact, I inquired from a school in USA about getting Masters with HND and they asked me to complete my Bsc before I apply.
Check out the response I got from a University in US.
Thank you for your interest in Texas A&M-Kingsville. We are very excited you want to join our university.
Unfortunately we do not accept HND for an eligibility to a Masters program.
However, if you have completed your Bachelors after the HND, you can apply for Masters.
College of Graduate Studies
Texas A&M University Kingsville
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by fatymore(f): 8:01am On Oct 24, 2017|
So impressed with this thread
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by j0rdannkyle: 11:51am On Oct 24, 2017|
Of course they don't accept HND. They dont even accept a nigerisn BSC. They accept an equivalent of an american BSC, Preferably using a service like WES. Did you not read through the thread??
6 Likes 1 Share
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 12:17pm On Oct 24, 2017|
Thank you OTAIFOHJ, it shows that you have taken the first step.
However, without sounding insulting, your first step was taken without due diligence and background research concerning the school you have interest in attending.
Below is the excerpt from Texas A&M University Kingsville Graduate Student Admission page for International Students:
Verify it at http://www.tamuk.edu/grad/admissions/International%20Students.html
This is what the website said:
Please send Graduate Admission
Supporting Documents to the following address:
College of Graduate Studies
Texas A&M University-Kingsville
700 University Blvd., MSC 118
Kingsville, Texas 78363-8202
1. Complete and Submit the online application via https://www.applytexas.org
2. $50 Non-refundable Application Fee
3. [b]Official Transcripts from all previously attended Colleges and/or Universities (with certified English Translation). (High school/Secondary school transcripts are not required). An official statement of the award of degree or diploma is required for each degree completed. A provisional degree certificate or an official copy of the final degree/diploma is required. The official copy must include an original signature of a school official and/or an original school seal. For international students who have attended U.S. schools, degrees must be earned from schools that are accredited by one of the seven regional accrediting bodies recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Transcript policy: All official transcripts and degree certificates submitted to the College of Graduate Studies for admission or credit-transfer purposes become property of Texas A&M University-Kingsville and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to other institutions.[/b]
4. Proof of English Proficiency. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 79 (Internet-based) or 550(Paper-based) is the university minimum requirement for all Graduate students. This score must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Services (ETS) and dated within two (2) years of enrollment. Residual (Institutional) TOEFL exams taken at another institution will not be accepted. TOEFL(Code#6822). The College of Graduate Studies also accepts IELTS scores. The minimum score required is a 6.0 overall band score. Effective April 25, 2016, Texas A&M University-Kingsville only accepts scores submitted electronically by the IELTS test center. No paper Test Report Forms will be accepted. An institutional code is NOT required. Please contact the test center directly where you took the IELTS test and request that your test scores be sent to the following e-download account:
Texas A&M University Kingsville
College of Graduate Studies
700 N University Blvd
Kingsville, TX 78363
All international students are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS unless they qualify for a waiver.
The following are also considered for the English Proficiency Admission Requirement:
GRE Verbal Score 400 (Score on the Prior GRE Scale) or 146 (Score on the Current GRE Scale)
Students who have completed their entire formal education at the secondary or postsecondary level in the following countries are exempt from the TOEFL requirement: American Samoa, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, United Kingdom (all), Trinidad-Tobago, and Virgin Islands. Please note: Applicants from Puerto Rico, where Spanish is the primary language, are required to submit a TOEFL or equivalent.
Based on the review and decision of the College of Graduate Studies, students who have earned at least 12 credits, with a grade C or better, in university-level courses from a U.S. institution or an institution in one of the countries listed above, may be exempt from TOEFL.
Completion of IEP program at TAMUK ELTC with an Advanced Plus.
Completion of the advanced-level Texas Intensive English Program (TIEP) offered by the Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC).
5. Students applying for a graduate program in business must submit the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) (Code#6822). Students applying for other graduate programs must submit the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (Code#6822) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT)(for education majors only, Code#2242). These scores must be received directly from the testing facilities.
6. Personal Statement, Resume, Letters of Recommendation (2 or 3). Optional for some Graduate Programs. Please contact your department of interest for more information.
7. Copy of biographical page of your passport
8. Financial documents required for issuance of I-20. (If admitted)
9. Proof of sufficient Medical Insurance Coverage. All international students attending TAMUK are required to have the Texas A&M University System Student Health Insurance Plan (SSHIP). The plan is automatically charged to students' tuition and fee statements once they enroll in class. This information will be reflected on your form I-20 as well. For more information about the TAMUS Student Health Insurance Plan, please see our website: http://www.tamuk.edu/iss/CurrentStudents/insurance.html
10. International students transferring from another institution in the United States must submit the following additional documents to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services:
International Student Status Transfer Form completed by student and DSO of current institution
(form located in .pdf format on the Apply for Admission webpage)
Updated proof of financial support dated within three months or less of the first enrollment at TAMUK
Copy of current I-20; copy of student's F1 visa; Copy of I-95 (front & back)
For students with dependents: Written notification requesting dependents to be included on I-20
11. Please contact the International Student Services (ISS) for further immigration information. firstname.lastname@example.org
This page was last updated on: January 24, 2017
Just as I noted earlier that your research is myopic, you would have noted that this university, in particular, did not explicitly state that you will have to provide Credential Evaluation, so based on this premise, the school admissions office may not understand the credential title of HND, but once they review your Transcript, they will have a complete understanding of what you did in 5 years at a Nigerian Polytechnic. It is important for everybody that will read this to know that, "it is not the title that matters, but rather the content", HND (Higher National Diploma) is just a title, The Transcript speaks volume as it will provide hidden details about the 5 years of study, course titles, credit units, your grades, your GPA, etc
Again, let me put it into perspective for you, as I saw that you are oblivious to some pertinent concepts and facts concerning US Graduate Program Admission.
There are over 4,800 Colleges and Universities that offer various programs at both undergraduate and graduate level. So, if you have just sent an inquiry to 1 out of 4,800, then, you need to wake up from your slumber and get to work, for there are still 4,799 more universities to make an inquiry, and they are eager and willing to accept you as an international student.
Also, graduate education in the US is like looking for a job; you have to market yourself, and because of the US Government Law on Affirmative Action, US unlike the UK values diversity, hence there is no discrimination based on race, color, language, country of origin, political views and sexual orientation. As such, you will be welcomed.
To help you, start searching for schools, use google.com. Again, if you are really interested in studying in the USA. Immediately start your Credential Evaluation with WES (www.wes.org) and choose Course-by-Course Evaluation with ICAP. Start reading and preparing for GRE (you need an acceptable score to get admission - if you are a STEM student/graduate, at least your GRE Quant Score should be at least 158 for some school), research schools and know whether you need TOEFL, you may not know this, a lot of Universities in the USA do not require TOEFL from Nigerians include MIT, Purdue, etc., also start preparing and researching on how to write Essays and Statement of Motivation, Start putting up a great CV/Resume, start looking for Good People who knows your capacity as an individual (they may not be necessarily in top positions/job titles, and they must have professional email addresses - linked to the organization/company they work for, i.e. email@example.com) to write quality Recommendation Letters. Also, make sure you have a Credit/Debit Card that can make international payments as you will be paying for the WES Credential Evaluation fees and University Application Fees with it.
Graduate admission in the USA is different from what the UK handed over to us here in Nigeria, where you just go to any school and buy form and you get admitted. Chief, is very far from it in the USA. The more prepared and articulate you are, the better and higher of your chances of getting admitted. I recommend you give it a whole full year of preparation if you are serious.
So from the foregoing, you can see that you just scratched the surface of the issue. Dig dip, Research, Research, Research!!!!!!!!!
I will be available to assist and help put you on a better pedestal on this subject matter.
Lastly, that you just contacted Texas A&M-Kingsville University, and they gave you this reply; "Unfortunately we do not accept HND for an eligibility to a Masters program. However, if you have completed your Bachelors after the HND, you can apply for Masters", does not in any way support your claim that "HND is not equivalent to Bsc in USA".
Truly HND is Equivalent to a USA Bachelor Degree.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 24, 2017|
GNwafor:Thank you so much. Can I PM you?
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by olusolarichards: 10:28pm On Oct 24, 2017|
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by olusolarichards: 10:30pm On Oct 24, 2017|
[quote author=Funnyguy83 post=58242373] please my people . can someone answer her question ?[/qyuote]
Good evening house...I'm sincerely confused,just don't want what to do at the point.I requested for my transcript from my school to send to wes for evaluation.For the past 4weeks now my school didn't send it. When I gt the school I was told that transcript is ready,that I should send it myself..On the transcript envelop the school addressed it to wes through postal mail,i mean wes postal mail was stated on the transcript envelop.I want to ask can I still send it via courier service?i need an urgent response
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 3:55am On Oct 25, 2017|
[quote author=olusolarichards post=61740935][/quote]
Great to hear that you have decided to go ahead and do your Credential Evaluation with WES.
It is very straight-forward, as you noted that the your school printed the WES Postal Address on the Envelope containing the Transcript.
1. Simply go to a Post Office within the City where your School is located.
2. Tell the people in the Post Office that you have a letter going to New York, USA, and that you will like to use either, "Registered Mail" or "SpeedPost". These two options have different prices, and you make decision based on your budget. They will weigh the letter and calculate the prices and you choose what is fair for you based on your pocket. Thereafter, pay them and post the letter. Within the next 7-10 business days, your Transcript will reach WES Office in New York.
Remember, to note the name and address of the Admin Office in your school Registrar's Office, because this is the name you will write on the sender's name/address whether you use " Registered Mail" or "SpeedPost".
DONT WRITE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS ON THE SENDER'S NAME/ADDRESS SECTION WHETHER YOU ARE USING REGISTERED MAIL OR SPEEDPOST.
3. Liaise with the Admin Officer and let him/her know that WES will return a copy of the Transcript back to them for confirmation. 98% of the time WES will do this for applicants from Nigeria to make sure there is integrity in the validity of the transcript documents. So, he/she should be able to track the request for verification from WES, and once they receive it, they should be able to reply them with a letter signed by the Registrar and most often add another copy of the Transcript that you will be sending. This way, the 2nd copy of the Transcript + the Letter from the Registrar affirms correctness and integrity which is what WES looks for and stands for.
They Admin Office should keep you in the know of it, so that once the Letter from Registrar + 2nd Transcript is ready, you can also go and pick it and send using the same system as in Step 2 above.
I hope this will clear every ambiguity you are experiencing.
If you are having any challenges, just drop a comment and I will be able to assist.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by olusolarichards: 6:00am On Oct 25, 2017|
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by olusolarichards: 6:02am On Oct 25, 2017|
GNwafor:Thanks so much,am so grateful for the advice.I will do that immediately.But my concern is,u know Nigerian post office system.I just pray they don't lost it in transit.Thanks a lot...God bless
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Funnyguy83: 7:07am On Oct 25, 2017|
[quote author=olusolarichards post=61740935][/quote] am not a proffesional dear. But dont worry , the pros will come to your rescue soonest.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by GNwafor(m): 8:09am On Oct 25, 2017|
With either "Registered Mail" or "SpeedPost", there is postal insurance which guarantees that the Transcript gets to them. Again, there has been a tremendous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of NIPOST in recent time from my experience.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by segunwebs: 5:53pm On Oct 25, 2017|
i think mine should be registered as i dont even no d difference but was given a tracking number dat starts with RR and ends with NG. its over a month now and its still inserted into bag from d tracking.d time frame is what am even concerned about. u talked abt postal insurance. nipost might take two months sometimes. may be d best option is to request for anoda transcript and send thru DHL and d likes
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by hydrogen200(m): 6:24pm On Oct 25, 2017|
say9ng:I am very happy to stumble on this thread.. it has really given me hope as an hnd graduate.. God bless you guys that has contributed immensely to this
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Devdaz(m): 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2017|
Wonderful tread I must say...
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by rtigho: 8:25am On Nov 05, 2017|
hello am raph I have hnd electrical/electronics engineer can any body tell which university in USA that we accept HND for master admission directly with out
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by HEADYWORLD(m): 11:38am On Nov 05, 2017|
Go through that link and see the story of a guy from Nigeria with HND.
You can check him on LinkedIn too... Without BSC he about to become a professor
I hope this help, HND is equivalent to Bsc in developed country not zoo
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by SuperSuave(m): 1:11pm On Nov 05, 2017|
wow! Thank God I found this thread. Thanks to the OP and all those who contributed reasonably to it. This Makes one wonder what is wrong with the education system and bodies in this stupid country called Nigeria.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Richdad50(m): 5:56pm On Dec 01, 2017|
[quote author=GNwafor post=61747819][color=#000099]Hi Olusola,
With either "Registered Mail" or "SpeedPost", there is postal insurance which guarantees that the Transcript gets to them. Again, there has been a tremendous improvement in the efficiency and effectiveness of NIPOST
@GNwafor...please i need ur email. I wish to discuss someyhing very important concerning the thread topic. Thanks
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by siegfried99(m): 2:39am On Dec 02, 2017|
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by excess4luv: 11:10pm On Dec 02, 2017|
thanks to all contributors of this thread, looking forward to this. HND Electrical/Electronic engineering
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Bamidele147: 12:07pm On Dec 13, 2017|
Please everyone in here, I need your guide. I want to evaluate my OND at wes and Further my education in USA. Is it possible because i only have OND. I don't know if wes can evaluate my OND result so that I will be able to continue in a university at USA(undergraduate). Urgent rely needed. Thanks in anticipation.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by jamrid: 9:06am On Jan 09|
i really appreciate your contribution
if you don't mind i will like to have chat with you
you contact me through my mail firstname.lastname@example.org
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by Nobody: 1:20am On Jan 11|
Hello guys, please how do I possibly send my full transcript to WES? I did my ND and HND in two different institutions.
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by adeyemiaa: 4:31pm On Mar 05|
My question is that do I have to get my transcript for both ND and HND for WES to evaluate because the thing Is I had pass on my ND and upper credit on HND, please I need a sincere response as an trying to know what next to do on masters admission..... Urgent response pls....
2 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: What Is The Hnd Equivalent In Usa by oscar4lyf(m): 9:20pm On Mar 05|
U had pass in ND and upper credit in HND, how come thst means u sorted well durin ur HND days
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 251