Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,557 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (71629 Views)

"Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Mar 31, 2017
gabinogem:
I don't think there's much problem there. He's just trying to intimidate u. when next he calls u, tell him to contact ur lawyer.

See you. I pity some people sha.
There's a written law between employer and employee which states any employee that wishes to resign Must issue his resignation letter one month before leaving the company. Failure to do so? The employee can be arrested and persecuted..
Most people seeking for jobs out there do not know. But it's in Every companys' policy.
A friend of mine who got a job last 3months, is so greedy that he's still searching for a higher paying job online. He told me with laughter in his eyes that wow there are so many juicy offers online o.. It seems at the end of the month I will just leave my office after collecting salary.. Immediately I land any of these juicy offers.
I laughed at his foolishnesssss.lol

I said Mr man, u have a job where u are being paid 180k, in this recession.. E no do you.. U are still searching for juicy offers abi? No ! continue and leave this company whenever u like. By the time u are thrown in jail.. Your brain. Will reset back to default memory.
Honestly u don't deserve this job. How can u be this heartless.. Leave like that?? Without allowing the company prepare for a substitute.. U are wicked. He then stopped smiling and was like ehmm ehmm. I say Abeg lets gist another thing.. Cos u are infuriating me.

So op, u are in deep mess.. At such young age. Your conscience is gone. How will u feel if I own a company and 50percent of your workers didn't show up at work the next day after collecting salary??
No how will u feel?
The work in your company that day will be grounded and losses made.

Let people have conscience for God sake.. Cause another person will do it to u Tomorrow..
It's easy to collect money and run abi?
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
Zenithpeak:
My candid advice,

if you or your parent can afford to pay him the money just call him to text you his account number and pay him back.

Case closed...... cool

NO! What is wrong with Nigerians? What kind of advice is that? Did you even read the part where he said they gave him tasks that were not part of his job description? That is a BREACH! Na was o!
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
beeolhar:

uncle,u made a very good comment but i wanna ask u a question,do companies give prior notice before they lay off workers? cos i have seen cases where one will come to work today and they will ask you not to resume on tomorrow cos ur service is no longer needed.so y must i give prior notice before resigning

Just do the same at your own peril grin and receive some life lessons out of it.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by freeman67: 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2017
Majority of the response on first page got me surprised. Its a shocking discovery for me to know that majority of those ranting have never had any form of formal employment before so they do not understand how things work.

What we need to tell ourselves is the truth in order not to mislead ourselves..

For our small boy poster.. Did you bother to seek clarification on your Job Title/ Duty required of it when employed? Because that is the reason you said you left.

What was your qualification when you were appointed and what was your expectation with that qualification?

If you try to answer this question honestly by yourself you will discover that what you have to do is work had at being more qualified to get a better employment and job specification.

That said, It is a general work practice in an employment that either party should notify the other before termination or resignation from an appointment. This is usually stated in your employment letter or the condition of service of that establishment as the case may be.

Thank God it is not written in your employment letter in this case. However do you know if where you worked has a written condition of service.. Try and found out.

I also Thank God that you wrote the letter after he requested and he accepted it even without the refund he requested... Which means somehow you are through with him.

If not all the those thing there were saying will not stop police from arrested you /him getting back his money.. He may even decide to tell them you stole something and stopped coming to work just to get back at you. So work on things like this in subsequently.

However, what he can not do is coming to carry properties from your house...especially when he does not even know if you have ever contributed to buying anything in that house.. Abi na your personal house you the live? He can only take your case to your referee if he is so angered.

As for the money I believe it is already spent.. You actually worked for it..just that you did allow him to prepare for your leaving.. So I will say he just felt bad by that. All you should do is just look for maybe another senior staff in that office to go with you to his office and apologize to him. So that it would not just be that you parted ways in a wrong manner...
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by chilan: 6:32pm On Mar 31, 2017
Send an email to info@excellawchambers.com or call 08035533560 for help

Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by tee83: 6:34pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I read it just now, nothing like giving one month notice before being entitled to what i worked for.

Teensway

In my opinion,though most company don't normal put in their employment letter that a month notice should be given when resigning or a month salary in lieu of a month notice.

You should have written/tender your resignation letter a month before your final day at work that the silence rule. Fortified a month salary in lieu of a month notice or you give a month notice before your final day at work.

Please if I may suggest, I would say you should find a way to settle it amicably with your former boss because you may need to use the experience in your CV later in future.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Henrypraise: 6:35pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of

I presume u got d work on man know man basis, n if dat be d case, pls ignore pple telling u to go to lawyers n d rest, because ur employer told u d truth, if u ar goin to stop work, n didn't tender a resignation one month b4, u ar not entitle to ur last salary, same goes if an employer is terminating ur employment without 3 months notice, he has to provide u a 3 months upfront salary...

having known dis, u shud tell ur boss dat u av used d money, n dat d property in d house belongs to ur parents, not u... tell him des wit a childish innocence n sincerity, u stand a chance of keeping ur money, ur property n also not soiling d relationship u av built; which is d mist important.... leave court, lawyer n all dis talks... u too young to start court mata...
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by thunderbabs: 6:36pm On Mar 31, 2017
Dfavouredone:

Gangster. grin

Social media justice, bringing justice to cases that would have otherwise be flush under the carpet.

grin cheesy O jasi bi don Jazzy
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 31, 2017
Tell him that you have gone to see a lawyer that works as a public defender and if he keeps harassing you it would turn to a police and a court case.

He is trying to intimidate you.

Teensway:
Please NLders,

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Mar 31, 2017
KAYD007:
you guys are advising the OP wrongly.

The OP regardless of whether he is a small boy or not....was legally employed by a company....he worked out of the job without submitting a resignation letter having collected his salary at the end of the month...that's a breach of contract if i may say.

common sense dictates...if he is going to leave the company...he gives a notice or what ever excuse...which could be going back to school and not abscond from his duty post having collected salary.

if any of you is an employer of labour...would you like to be treated as such by your employee?

Was there a contract that he should be washing toilet and washing clothes? That's slightly slavery and abuse. What about the house visit, threat and intimidation. Trespassing too.
And there was no agreement on resignation on his terms of employment.
The way I see it, the boy can make millions from that company if he sues them.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by nonis: 6:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
Do we hv lawyers in d house, let the practice their profession
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gqboyy(m): 7:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
[quote author=SmartchoicesNG post=55139298][/quote] Rename ur account to DumbChoicesNg, u dumb prick
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by SmartchoicesNG: 7:08pm On Mar 31, 2017
gqboyy:
Rename ur account to DumbChoicesNg, u dumb prick
Do I look like your father? ....
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by munezo(m): 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
Your boss is right. You are suppose to give the company one month notice before you resign. This is a common place HR practice.

In all, you need to make sure you exit the company on a good note because you may need them in future.

Teensway:
Please NLders,

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Demmzy15(m): 7:24pm On Mar 31, 2017
Rilwayne001:

I'm sure he never chop. Give him snake to eat and you will see his brain working perfectly tongue
Bullying again!! angry angry grin tongue
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Rilwayne001: 7:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
Demmzy15:
Bullying again!! angry angry grin tongue

Really? sad

Make I quickly edit the thing before I chop another 2weeks.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ayindejimmy(m): 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
Since you said you've written a resignation letter, you're in order.
And I hope you didn't sign any agreement on terms of employment and disengagement?
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Demmzy15(m): 7:38pm On Mar 31, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Really? sad

Make I quickly edit the thing before I chop another 2weeks.
Right away!
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Anointed08(m): 7:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
What you did was bad, it will inconvenience that bank. Your behaviour is as bad as that of a landlord that just came to throw your things out of the house you rented without giving you a quit notice. What you need to do now is to apologise. Go and prepare an apology letter and personally deliver it to him(MD) in his office.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Erebeshe: 7:48pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

My dear ur boss is correct with his decision of you returning the salary
it is statutory u give one month notice before resignation or forfeit one month salary in lieu
btw...his coming to your house is where he got the approach wrong
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by harvtech(m): 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Your reason for leaving is not bad but how you did it was not, my advice for you is that you should tell him everything, invite politely to your house then give him the information and make sure you are not alone , but before you do that report to the police for your safty , if he refuse your invitation , go to him a police officer or mopol etc friend of yours and one or more person to bear witness in the future .

Dont be afraid prayer and sincerity before you make any move.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by eipreel(f): 8:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
The op writes even better than some so called university graduates
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ztanleechima(m): 8:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
go to high court & ask them where u find pro bono lawyers. when u find one, tender ur case to him or her. i guess ur problem will be solved there. btw, its free of charge.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by zzbrodah: 9:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
Every appointment letter must have a clause for the termination by either party which is usually inform of prior notification or payment in liu..My dear ensure you read it again and possibly give someone else to confirm.

However,I will advise you do the needful.You were given an appointment letter and if you no longer need the job,its proper you communicate with a resignation letter. What you did is tantamount to AWOL...Cheers
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gabinogem(m): 9:25pm On Mar 31, 2017
No need for long story sir. if the company has any issue with his resignation, they should go to court and trash it out there.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by samuelezekiel(m): 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2017
Resigning without at least 1month notification is similar to absconding, you are expected to pay the company 1month salary if your boss is to take it up, just find a way to persuade him, plead to his humanity... Please don't threaten him or beat him up.

Am sensing you don't have good raport with him, ena dey share girl friend ni?
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by dreamangel: 10:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
You need to handle this carefully. I would suggest that you look for a pro bono lawyer as you have been advised. However try to reason with your boss, beg him, if possible meet him with an older person like your Mum to explain things to him. But do not make further commitments to him or accept any conditions. You can decide to travel to visit relatives for sometime. If all fails bring in your lawyer who should be aware of all these beforehand. Above all pray seriously for God's intervention. All the best.

btw I like your English and sense of direction.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by illegalGangla(m): 11:31pm On Mar 31, 2017
Microfinance? Weyrey ni won! I resigned as an area manager....grooming....

My advice boy.....walk away. Fear Nada. They no go do anything....them be boli.

If your oga come do anyhow arrange boys from your salary make them beat am.

If he come do pass himself like police mention me anywhere....I go give you some points wet we go take hammer millions from them....
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by stukinherdr1222(m): 1:13am On Apr 01, 2017
gqboyy:
Tell him next time he disturb u again u r going to beat his stupid ass up. Thank me later

imagine grin grin grin grin grin grin

yeye dey smell follow you
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 1:38am On Apr 01, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Walks Around Unclad In Office To Boost Workers' Morale In Poland / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Which Are The Highest Paying Parastatals And Companies In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.