Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,551 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (71628 Views)

"Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Arkmanbuddy(m): 3:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
How do i do that if he comes to my house sir?
He can't possibly do anything stupid since its not stated in the agreement you had with the bank.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
Send me your number let me call you now now or even later. Will advice you on what to do.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Rilwayne001: 3:04pm On Mar 31, 2017
tosyne2much:
Lalasticlala wetin happen to you this afternoon? cheesy

The OP said he's a guy and you wrote "she" on the front page cheesy

Hope say you don chop? cheesy

I'm sure he never chop. Give him snake to eat and you will see his brain working perfectly tongue

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by megareal: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2017
Relax, if your appointment letter didn't stipulate that, you have nothing to fear.

If he comes next time ensure to record your conversations to reflect that the bone of contention is, you didn't give a month's notice else he may wake up tomorrow and accuse you of stealing coy property. Don't threaten him yet so he won't get desperate.

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by teelaw4life(m): 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2017
flyca:
OP please ignore those ignoranus saying "beat him up/ threaten him" kind of advice. Look for non-confrontational ways of resolving this issue. Just be calm. This too shall pass

Oh, btw I love your innocence.

You love his innocence. undecided undecided undecided

What about your own innocence?
#najokeideyjoke
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by owolabi3699(m): 3:07pm On Mar 31, 2017
Dnt worry he doesn't have any authority over u..... bt wen next try and notify d management b4 taking such step. Cos it may slow down d operation
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by agwu123(m): 3:07pm On Mar 31, 2017
He stated that he has resigned and yet the boss is still intimidating him.

The truth is your so-called boss has no case here since one month notice was not stated in your contract of employment. He is only ranting.

Whenever he calls you again tell him that you are going to report him to the police. It's your right to decide whether to continue to work or not to continue.

obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by MrTypist: 3:07pm On Mar 31, 2017
tosyne2much:
Lalasticlala wetin happen to you this afternoon? cheesy

The OP said he's a guy and you wrote "she" on the front page cheesy

Hope say you don chop? cheesy

Don't blame lala, the guy was sounding sisi though.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by teelaw4life(m): 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2017
Op, the most important thing is the written contractual agreement between the two of you.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2017
bustamode:
In most organisation you can terminate your appointment 3 -4 months without notice, but after confirmation, you have to give a full month notice to effect termination.read your contract, if there is nothing like that,then boldy tell your ex- boss the contract is not binding you to him and you will consider legal action

such notification of termination is usually stated on company's handbook and not on letter of employment if i'm correct...so he should seek for the company's hand book were those terms are stated and see what it states
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Flaghouse1: 3:09pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of

Personally beg him and tell him you left because of jamb so you can have time to prepare for exams
When you were offered employment did you get any document regarding condition of service and terms of employment signed by you ?
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Realdeals(m): 3:09pm On Mar 31, 2017
People that would have treated you the same way your boss did are commenting here. It once happen to me, I ask my Oga if he would pay me the 1 month I'll work after the notice and he went mute. So he wanted me to work for free.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by mozel247: 3:09pm On Mar 31, 2017
Just as ur employer have the right to fire u at will. U also have the right to quit at will. Don't b scared. Google nlc and human right commission and report ur boss to them. Call me 08131209592

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing

What is the right thing?

The Boss requested for a resignation letter, the boy complied already.

Abi you mean he should lick the Boss arrrsse? undecided shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by juman(m): 3:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
If he still disturb you, go to one of the office of big lawyers in your area and explain to their office staff. There is likelihood they would help you handle it for free.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by JennyOfOldstones(f): 3:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.
I'm not trolling you by asking this question. I think it's important you answer so I'll know if you can establish a defence in case he tries to arrest you or take you to court.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by trendyprettygir: 3:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of

If you have a copy of this letter and you trust me enough.

Send me a PM, attaching this letter afterwards.

I can only advise you after i see the contents of your agreement.

Don't worry i wont share it with anyone.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by sholeypra(m): 3:11pm On Mar 31, 2017
If not in all companies,am sure most companies have this policy of notification for resignation. What I'd suggest is this, things can be settled amicably between the both of you I believe only if your boss is just being wicked. Let him know you are sorry for your actions and sincerely apologize to him and clearly stating the reasons for the resignation. This life is about networking and there is every likelihood of needing his help one way or the other in the future. If you leave him in anger, it could come back to hurt you. Talk to him like a father...#Shalom

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
Realdeals:
People that would have treated you the same way your boss did are commenting here. It once happen to me, I ask my Oga if he would pay me the 1 month I'll work after the notice and he went mute. So he wanted me to work for free.
Told him that and he said i was trying to play wise
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
oyb:
Does the company have a hr policy?
Full time salaried employees are expected to give two weeks to one month notice before quitting. Same applies to employers. Termination without notice typically has some financial implication.

It is contract or wage or temp workers who can leave without notice.

Nobody seems to be taking note of this
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 31, 2017
@ Teensway

You for don leave them notice nah. how would you feel if someone do that to your own company..
And am assuming the post you held there must have been very important for the boss to take it so that serious undecided
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Mar 31, 2017
JustinSlayer69:

This is one of the few sensible comments here.

ALL the jobs i have had, you have to give advance notice before quitting. Why? So that the company has ample time to find a replacement.

Quitting immediately after a salary is what probably pissed your boss off.

Check your terms of employment. If it's stated you have to give 1 month notice as is very common, you better quickly return the money before the man sues you.

All these nairaland Rambos won't help when sh1t hits the fan. Find out the legal ramifications of your actions from a lawyer - pro bono as it has been suggested.

Relax mehn.....the dude checked already and he said there's nothing like a 1 month notice appointment termination clause.

Just relax and live a little.

4 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by austinooo(m): 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Let us advise the young boy rightly, those that are giving excuses above are just ignorant of employment practices. I have never seen any institution that will not give employment letter that will stipulate that either party should give one months notice or a month's pay in lieu. If you have decided to abandon the work or resign, you should do the right thing. Meanwhile, the employer does not have the right to seize any property in your house the only thing he can do is to write your referees or refuse to give you reference.

I will advise you to do the right thing because of the future.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by thunderbabs: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
See, if that ur boss doesnt rest his oars and keeps pesting you, just holla his name on social media

He will be accussed, judged, and sentenced, right here..Awa SAN of Social media

We got this, Nairalanders.

Exception: if only you didnt do anything bad before you left ooo

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by getostar: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
Guy, bone the guy.
He can't do jack.
If he comes to your house (he wouldn't tho), beat the living day light out of him.
The best they can do is debit your account for the value and decline providing a reference for you....shikena.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by uracocksucker: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2017
lmfao ..simple resolution to this is, Tell him you will continue in your previous role after Jamb ... by then, they would have employed someone else and will most likely not want you back since you quit without notice.

Even when you hate your tasks try to abnegate amicably.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by daniella04: 3:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
cheesy grin Just ignore him he won't do anything.
This just reminded me of a company I worked with, I made sure I paid myself salary then I put in my resignation letter immediately I got alert.
My boss threatened he will sue me when he saw I wasn't moved he started pleading for me to reconsider. I told him I have made up my mind as if five years working for him isn't enough. In a better place now grin
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by lekyar(m): 3:15pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I read it just now, nothing like giving one month notice before being entitled to what i worked for.

If you are a permanent worker the terms of resignation are often reflected in the company's workers handbook. Read through it carefully.[size=12pt]
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Mar 31, 2017
DMeanMan:

Relax mehn.....the dude checked already and he said there's nothing like a 1 month notice appointment termination clause.

Just relax and live a little.

grin . You should relax.

How many fights happen that folks tell the truth about their own guilt when giving account?

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Josephamstrong1(m): 3:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
How do i do that if he comes to my house sir?

Eeeh!
Give him a high five bruv.
Yeah...like this.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by linearity: 3:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
KAYD007:
you guys are advising the OP wrongly.

The OP regardless of whether he is a small boy or not....was legally employed by a company....he worked out of the job without submitting a resignation letter having collected his salary at the end of the month...that's a breach of contract if i may say.

common sense dictates...if he is going to leave the company...he gives a notice or what ever excuse...which could be going back to school and not abscond from his duty post having collected salary.

if any of you is an employer of labour...would you like to be treated as such by your employee?

I noticed you stated 'common sense dictates...' and not that you have accessed his specific situation and conclude that, he is legally obligated to do so.

Even if he is obligated contractually to do so, which I doubt is the case here, the employer breached that contract, once they started giving him tasks (washing clothes, cleaning toilets, etc) that are not within his contracted obligations as spelt out by his employment letter and as such, any claim the employer is making to that contract is null and void.

This guy does not have any legal obligation to give termination notice, given the specifics of this case. The only reason he might want to settle this case amicably is for the future e.g. He might need this company as a reference in the future, if I were in his shoes, I will not include them in my resume at all, more so because no matter the settlement reached, I doubt if his boss is going to forget it in a giffy.

As for him going to your house, get a pro bono legal counsel as some have advised. A cease and desist letter from even a law school student will put him in his place and let him know that, he has crossed the line.

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Dfavouredone: 3:17pm On Mar 31, 2017
Oscarjax:
Call your homies and beat him up. Nonsense

gqboyy:
Tell him next time he disturb u again u r going to beat his stupid ass up. Thank me later

Bad advise. Don't do the above.

Usually in a well structure organisation, one has to give an advance notice before leaving, the duration of the notice is usually stated in letter of employment given when one start the job.

Now, in your case, since your employment letter didn't say you must give any advance notice before leaving, you fine. So stick to what you told him, that it wasn't stated in your employment letter or any written agreement that you must give an advanced notice.

He knows, that your response has make it illegal for him to do anything to you, that's why he started cursing you when told him so. Not minding his insult, stick to that ground of not having that written on your employment letter.

Then, unto the threat of him taking some of your properties. You can already see from above, that it is illegal therefore for him to do that. If he repeat that to you again or make a move to carry out his threat. Report him to the police or get a lawyer as some other person has advised.

Take care son, you sound smart and wise. God be with you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Walks Around Unclad In Office To Boost Workers' Morale In Poland / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Which Are The Highest Paying Parastatals And Companies In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.