Stats: 3,152,518 members, 7,816,252 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (71626 Views)

"Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Geonigga(m): 4:40pm On Mar 31, 2017
I think the employer is just trying to intimidate the poor boy.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by AuroraB(f): 4:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of
I might know this boss of yours lipsrsealed
Were you given the Company Code of Conduct? I doubt you were issued an appointment letter.
If he's whom I am thinking, nwanne'm, your family gotta agree on how to 'pay small small' grin. Else, you go vomit am after some days at the police station shocked
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by 2n2k(m): 4:41pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still on probation. I will be confirmed after six month.

Usually, if you are on probation, it will be two weeks notice or two weeks salary by either party.

Also note that the salary to be paid in lieu of notice is not your total salary but basic salary only. Your allowances do not come into the computation.

Since your position is just a glorified messenger post (no offense meant), may be that is why the company did not bother to include the terms for termination of employment.

From the way your boss behaved, I bet he can sack you at a moment notice without compensation.

Apart from good human relations, since he had behaved like a thug in threatening you, I hate to say that you call his bluff.
4 months office assistant job experience cannot be a deal maker in your future cv. So just delete that experience.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by mummybaloo: 4:42pm On Mar 31, 2017
what were the conditions stated in the employment letter he gave you. if there's none, just walk into any law office and explain your plight,letting them no your age and financial status. you will definitely get someone to help you out. there's no such thing as pro Bono lawyer but all lawyers are expected to do a probono work for those who cannot afford to pay. I don't know where you reside but you can also approach an Area Court for a direct complain even without a lawyer and tell them of his threat to life and /or property.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by papabaks(m): 4:43pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing

Please, follow this advice and make sure that you resolve this amicably, else it might later comeback to hunt you. Remember this life is a very small place...

It might just take 3 people that might know who knows him in the future.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I was given a letter.

Send me a pm.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Zenithpeak(m): 4:49pm On Mar 31, 2017
specter:

Well I just have few questions for you.
Was there a formal employment process?
E.g - offer letter, employment letter, letter of probation and confirmation if any, an employment contract?
If yes, I will advice you go back an read the clauses embeded therein.
If there was non of the aforementioned, you have nothing to be afraid of.
But if you have any of the aforementioned, mention me and I will advise accordingly.

All these letter upon latter on top salary wey no pass 15k. undecided

The boss should take heart and move on. The young man is not ready to be enslved. The worse he can do is to issue threats and nothing more than that.

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gqboyy(m): 4:50pm On Mar 31, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
Why not just keep quiet... Permanently!
No, I will not. Come and beat me
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by gqboyy(m): 4:51pm On Mar 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'll personally go with this but only if OP looks like this picture grin

Hahaha
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by sheddy411(m): 4:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
dingbang:
he doesn't have any right to do so.. Where is the employment letter?
If quitting requires the letter, then it just means you have to go back to work, not return the money you have worked for. Go back to work, tender the notice and work for one month and still collect that month salary
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Agbalanze(m): 4:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
Most Employment letter have that clause of 1 month salary in lieu of resignation but if its not written in yours, then your former boss has no case against you.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by dantori(m): 4:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of

reach legal aid council they will fight for you seriously browse about them
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by girl4rmspace(f): 4:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
no, can't find it there

if its not part of the terms an agreement in your employment letter, then u got nothing to fear.

You could also tell your parents to be more aggresive with him to stop him from coming over whenever he feels like it

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Mar 31, 2017
KAYD007:
you guys are advising the OP wrongly.

The OP regardless of whether he is a small boy or not....was legally employed by a company....he worked out of the job without submitting a resignation letter having collected his salary at the end of the month...that's a breach of contract if i may say.

common sense dictates...if he is going to leave the company...he gives a notice or what ever excuse...which could be going back to school and not abscond from his duty post having collected salary.

if any of you is an employer of labour...would you like to be treated as such by your employee?

uncle,u made a very good comment but i wanna ask u a question,do companies give prior notice before they lay off workers? cos i have seen cases where one will come to work today and they will ask you not to resume on tomorrow cos ur service is no longer needed.so y must i give prior notice before resigning

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Zenithpeak(m): 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2017
My candid advice,

if you or your parent can afford to pay him the money just call him to text you his account number and pay him back.

Case closed...... cool
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.

Tell him 2 kal ur family lawyer
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 31, 2017
op get the police involved before ur boss hires corrupt policemen to do you their regular madness
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by MikeB3(m): 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
Don't mind him....... Go find someone reasonable, explain and nothing shall befall you. Naso people like that dey do. They never want the little ones to grow!
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by samonom(m): 5:27pm On Mar 31, 2017
You have a long way, to go in life, build a good relationship, for 2morow. he gave u a job that's privileged, you are just a secondary school guy, just buying jamb form, no guarantee of admission yet, .when u finished your education you might be compel to seek job in d same bank. Pls do not start your future with dis habit. Nairaand this day is now control by immature school leaver. Who don't have life experience. Remember 2morow. You would have informed ur boss, even though a week notice to handover.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Boyooosa(m): 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2017
They have said it all... I cant advise better.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 31, 2017
First off get a lawyer... Then report to the police... Let them have a written report that you have reported the case... Then if anything happens u can sue them for a lot more...
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by being(m): 5:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
@OP: Just go and apologize to d man in his office. You could go with someone older than you for not giving some notice. True, it may not b stated in the employment letter and he really can't get back at you through legal means. But for peace and for d future, just tell him you are sorry. If he insists on d money, tell him your family has spent it that a lot of pressing things came up. Also, tell him d real reason you resigned was to do your school runs.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by jawnieJorh(m): 5:44pm On Mar 31, 2017
were you given an employment letter as you commenced the work, stating your roles in the branch? if no official documents were signed between two of you, I don't think he has a case. Moreover you were not told u were supposed to give notice before resigning. Call Police for that criminal boss of yours for Breaking and Entry or bring his face to nairaland here, we will take it from here.

Don't apologize at all! They were using you for a janitor bear that in mind. Future wetin, just write you jamb and make sure you pass. You don't need such imps in your life if you know your worth.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ipreach: 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
Report him to the police first. Tell the police that he is threatening your life and the life of your family
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by miqos02(m): 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
You must make u resignation official, there is a probability that u will need that ur boss later, EXPECIALLY when u state your pass experience in your CV... Do the right thing
nice contribution
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by sucess001(m): 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.

contact me almondsolicitors@gmail.com

we ll handle your case pro bono.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by slurryeye: 5:54pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

Teensway, many people have given you advice, some are reasonable while some are very ill advices. Do not engage in fight or any physical altercation with the man. That will be a very wrong move on your part. If possible don't even argue with him. Don't report to Nigerian police, if your lawyer wants to do, then fine. Because if you report to police by yourself, your boss and police will put you in the middle as a young guy
This is what you need to do. Get a pro bono lawyer like many people has advised, don't talk with your boss again let your lawyer do the talking. You will need to pay back the last month salary because under employment contract, you need to give your employer at least 2 weeks notice so that they can find a replacement for you. However, if your lawyer is good, I expect him or her to make as much as 10 times your salary for you if the case goes to court. This is how he or she should go about it. For the last 4 months you have worked as a janitor which is not under your employment contract/job description, the lawyer will charge the company the salary of that job position. Also, for your boss threatening your life, the lawyer will also charge him for that. To make the case for life threat concrete, try record the voice of your boss the next time he comes to your house. By the time your lawyer tells him all this, I assure you he will be the one begging you to settle out of court.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nairaboi(m): 5:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
obembet:
See people liking comments for liking sake. Ogbeni, didn't you read where he stated that he wrote the letter and submitted when the Boss asked him to do so?
As long as that clause of having a written notice written to his employers is not in the employment letter, there is nothing the boss can do.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Rondigee: 6:06pm On Mar 31, 2017
Frontload the employment letter let's analyse it. But for now he has no right to come to your house to seize any property even if your employment letter says so. Except if he is a court in himself.

Pray that he should come and seize the property so that you teach him a little lesson.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by FrankGiel: 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2017
gabinogem:
I don't think there's much problem there. He's just trying to intimidate u. when next he calls u, tell him to contact ur lawyer.
His much is salary, how much is lawyer fees grin
U go fear advise
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by SmartchoicesNG: 6:18pm On Mar 31, 2017
gqboyy:
No, I will not. Come and beat me

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:21pm On Mar 31, 2017
sheddy411:

If quitting requires the letter, then it just means you have to go back to work, not return the money you have worked for. Go back to work, tender the notice and work for one month and still collect that month salary
Lol you are so naive, that man will not pay him a dime afterwards and nothing will happen. And all of you guys will tell him to forgive the boss and move on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Walks Around Unclad In Office To Boost Workers' Morale In Poland / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Which Are The Highest Paying Parastatals And Companies In Nigeria?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76