Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,481 members, 7,816,135 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? (71624 Views)

"Why I Resigned From N-Power": My Story and the Lessons (Photo) / How I Resigned From My #55,000 Job To Become Self Employed / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 31, 2017
jeje123:
Remain on point and read ur offer of employment letter very well
I read it just now, nothing like giving one month notice before being entitled to what i worked for.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 31, 2017
Because you are in Nigeria, I think you should report to the police. Make sure you write a statement no matter the cost.

Teensway:
I'm still small boy sir, i got no lawyer.

4 Likes

Oscarjax:
Call your homies and beat him up. Nonsense

The boy came to Nairaland for mature advice, not this thing you posted.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by delishpot: 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
dingbang:
Ignore him. By the way are you with the employment letter?

Ignore him ke? When Nigerians with small money can get the police to arrest you for daring to look at them talkless of when they believe you owe them money.
Well, OP if you have letter of employment then read it very well to know if you actually breached your contract.
But, shebi He paid you for services rendered last month na. So you deserve the pay . But people should try to deal with others fairly na. Why just up and quit after you received salary without prior warning so the campany can get another staff on time? Not fair to the office that employed you unless you were out for vengeance due to unfair treatment . I will just assume your age influenced your action so I will not stress that one. But take note incase of next time.

3 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by michaelwilli(m): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Take the advice of a pro bono lawyer . He can't do anything. It's not like you took loan that he will na seize tins from ur house

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by amiibaby(f): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Let him rant he can't do more than a dead rat

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by mazizitonene(m): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Sir ma son sir boy small.......lmao...This guy funny grin

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Crixie(m): 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
I'm still a small boy sir, i got no lawyer.
He doesn't know that...does he?
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by caprini1: 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Yes, thank you very much Sir.
Go to any MFM Church on sundays,there are lawyers that will help you for free.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of

Youngman..... I like your courage...... PM so I can get your email

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Rekyz(m): 2:57pm On Mar 31, 2017
EMPTY threats...
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 31, 2017
Does the company have a hr policy?
Full time salaried employees are expected to give two weeks to one month notice before quitting. Same applies to employers. Termination without notice typically has some financial implication.

It is contract or wage or temp workers who can leave without notice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Avater0147(m): 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
when someone try to opress or intimidate you,you have to let him know that you are not a lazy asshole..just mend him and shout for him..tell him to do his worst and if he try to act just look for any NBM member in your unit and explain to him...this is why there is NBM..in time like this

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by tosyne2much(m): 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
Lalasticlala wetin happen to you this afternoon? cheesy

The OP said he's a guy and you wrote "she" on the front page cheesy

Hope say you don chop? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by phynofino: 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2017
WHY YOU NO COMOT BEFORE YOU COLLECT SALARY? WICKED PEOPLE EVERYWHERE

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by bufness(m): 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. I told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

NB: I left because of my boss(branch manager) and the remaining loan officer started asking me to do jobs that were not part of
lool, how hold are u, if ur not up to 18 then theres no agreement, so theres nothing to be scared off

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
oyb:
Does the company have a hr policy?
Full time salaried employees are expected to give two weeks to one month notice before quitting. Same applies to employers. Termination without notice typically has some financial implication.

It is contract or wage or temp workers who can leave without notice.

This is one of the few sensible comments here.

ALL the jobs i have had, you have to give advance notice before quitting. Why? So that the company has ample time to find a replacement.

Quitting immediately after a salary is what probably pissed your boss off.

Check your terms of employment. If it's stated you have to give 1 month notice as is very common, you better quickly return the money before the man sues you.

All these nairaland Rambos won't help when sh1t hits the fan. Find out the legal ramifications of your actions from a lawyer - pro bono as it has been suggested.

LOL. it's so obvious plenty of guys here have never worked before or seen an employment contract gringringrin

Be careful how you play your cards. It's always better to end on an amicable note. If you ever need that man as a referee or you meet him higher on the ladder, it might be his turn to take his pound of flesh

Personal story. I once told a gal to fvck off when we had a quarrel... 2 years after I had to swallow my words when I wanted a job paying 6x my salary.

Moral of the story? Life is politics. You might badly need that man one day. Plead for his understanding even if you hate him secretly

12 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by phynofino: 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2017
amiibaby:
Let him rant he can't do more than a dead rat
The day you will walk the Park hope they put You on the same path

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by GEJPosterity: 3:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
Stop all this "I'm still a small boy" rubbish and man up. Stop acting like a little b1tch. If he does not have any legal basis to show up at your house threatening you, then look him in the eye the next time he comes and tell him straight out that you know your rights and you know that what he is doing is illegal. Tell him that you have spoken to a lawyer, and the next time he tries such action again, he will be arrested for trespassing and criminal harassment. Even if he doesn't believe that you have the power to do anything to him, at least he will know that you are not a complete simpleton and he will decide that it is not worth the trouble to offend someone who is smarter than he thought at first.

But all this chicken behaviour is the reason why Nigerian "ogas" get away with all the nonsense they get away with, and then when people like me refuse to be bullied, we get a reputation as the one with a "chip on their shoulder".

Stop acting like a b1tch and stand up for yourself already, sheesh!

13 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by KAYD007(m): 3:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
you guys are advising the OP wrongly.

The OP regardless of whether he is a small boy or not....was legally employed by a company....he worked out of the job without submitting a resignation letter having collected his salary at the end of the month...that's a breach of contract if i may say.

common sense dictates...if he is going to leave the company...he gives a notice or what ever excuse...which could be going back to school and not abscond from his duty post having collected salary.

if any of you is an employer of labour...would you like to be treated as such by your employee?

8 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Josephamstrong1(m): 3:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
grin
Teensway:
Please NLders,

I'm still a teenager but through with my high school. So i decided to look for money and i got this job to work as supporting staff at a microfinance bank. I worked there for 4 months and stopped working Yesterday after receiving this month salary. I travelled today to register for jamb from my salary and when i got back home, my mum said my boss came looking for me that i must submit my resignation letter. I wrote the letter and gave it to him, he collected it and returned it telling me that i must return the salary. He said i should have given the company one month notice before i would have been eligible for my salary or else the company will come to our house and seize some property. told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, told him to show me where those terms were written in agreement i signed, he got angry and started calling me names and threatened me. Please what should i do, abeg help me.

Hahahaha... Please call him bluff. From the bolded above, case closed.
He's just ranting... Let him take it up. He must provide the contract agreement... Lol. grin
Pls relax and free up joor. cheesy smiley

4 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by bustamode: 3:00pm On Mar 31, 2017
In most organisation you can terminate your appointment 3 -4 months without notice, but after confirmation, you have to give a full month notice to effect termination.read your contract, if there is nothing like that,then boldy tell your ex- boss the contract is not binding you to him and you will consider legal action

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nerrolover: 3:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
Ignore him is a fool

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
no, can't find it there

Don't mind those "ejoit" boses who think they own your life. Sack him and move on with your life.

mind you while preparing for jamb ensure you enroll for a skill acquisition program cos skul is not all there is to life.
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by pedrilo: 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
read ur offer letter again and be sure u r not the deviant one young man.

4 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
Oscarjax:
Call your homies and beat him up. Nonsense
I wish i could do so sir
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
Where you not given an offer letter of employment?

What were the terms on the letter? You should have given the man at least 2 weeks notice before resigning.

I know in Nigeria many employers dont like to pay when you give them 1 month notice, but you should have informed the man before leaving courtesy demands it.

Hope you were not sleeping with him,? his reaction looks like that of a jilted lover though. cool

2 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by MrTypist: 3:02pm On Mar 31, 2017
Call him for just 30 seconds and tell him you will arrange boys for him next time he comes to your house.

Since you said there are no terms and conditions he can use against you in your appointment letter.

**The street way**
Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 31, 2017
Hi, Teensway,

When you signed your offer letter, go through the document to check if there is any of such clause in your copy. If there isn't then you don't owe them anything. Most firms and banks have a one month notice policy which must be in your contract. If it's not there, then you don't owe them anything, but the way you handled it is wrong, if you wish to leave, you have to resign first, not abscond from work after pay.

4 Likes

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by dealslip(f): 3:03pm On Mar 31, 2017
Giving one month notice in lieu is standard in any employment relationship. If you signed an employment contract, then you owe him actually. Don't listen to all this people saying tell him to go to hell. Reach a gentleman agreement with him.

1 Like

Re: I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble? by joinnow: 3:03pm On Mar 31, 2017
Teensway:
Please NLders,

Were you given Condition of service handout when you got employed. It will be in there. again employees should always read it before signing employment contract. Yeah you should have notify them. Just like when they sack they equally pay u in lieu of notice. I feel he will not pursue the case cos of probably 40k or so. But He has the right to if he want to

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Walks Around Unclad In Office To Boost Workers' Morale In Poland / First Class Graduates Work For Me - Lady With Third Class Result / Which Are The Highest Paying Parastatals And Companies In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.