Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" (17664 Views)

Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo And Wife, Modele Celebrate 20th Wedding Anniversary / Lumumba: Churches With Husband And Wife Pastors Are Pyramid Scheme (VIDEO) / RCCG Pastor, Edet Effiong Eneh And Wife Celebrate 12th Wedding Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Opeomoope: 5:49am On Apr 02, 2017
Question: "Is it wrong for a Christian husband and wife to attend separate churches?"

Answer: A husband and a wife attending separate churches is a situation that is more common than one might think. It’s also common for the children of such a couple to be divided between the two churches, thereby creating a rift in the family that is never healthy. In order to determine whether or not it is “wrong” for a husband and wife to attend separate churches, we must first look at marriage as a relationship instituted by God.

Genesis 2:24 tells us God created man and woman to become “one flesh” when they marry, not two separate beings who go their own separate ways. There is a unity in marriage which is unique and holy. Moreover, marriage is the picture of Christ and His church (believers) as described in Ephesians 5:31-32. The marriage covenant between a man and a woman is symbolic of the covenant between Christ and those for whom He died. His is an everlasting covenant and one that is holy and sacred, just as marriage is to be holy, sacred and unbroken. This unity of two people into one reaches its most sacred in the spiritual realm, where the two are to be of one mind regarding the basic doctrines of Christianity – God, Christ, sin, salvation, heaven/hell, etc. This unity of understanding through the ministry of the Holy Spirit unites a husband and wife in a bond unlike any other on earth.

While it’s possible for a husband and wife to have differing tastes as far as music, preaching or worship styles, children’s programs, etc., none of these things are significant enough to break up the family into two parts so they can attend different churches based on tastes. It is clear that if both churches are Bible-based and Christ-honoring, there is no reason why one spouse can’t bend a little and put his/her personal preferences aside. An even better alternative is for the couple to join together to seek a church where the Word of God is preached as the only guide for faith and practice, where the entire family can learn the true gospel of Jesus Christ, and where the family can fellowship with like-minded believers. In this, the husband, as the spiritual head of the family, should take the lead and make the final decision, lovingly taking his wife’s input into consideration.

Sadly, the two-church family most often crops up in marriages where one spouse was raised Roman Catholic and the other was raised in a Protestant denomination. In situations such as these, it would have been wise for the couple not to marry. Please read the following article: Should Christians of different denominations date or marry? If a marriage has already taken place, the couple should strive for spiritual unity. Two people entrenched in their different doctrinal positions often find it very difficult to compromise and reconcile, but with God, all things are possible. A couple in such a situation may be forced to attend different churches, especially if one or both spouses consider the other spouse's beliefs to be unbiblical. In such a situation, both spouses should commit to praying that truth be revealed and spiritual unity be achieved.

These doctrinal conflicts must be resolved in a family before true unity can be achieved. A couple attending different churches must be willing to hold everything they are taught up to the light of Scripture and be ready to discard anything that is contradicted by the Bible. They must “test all things and hold fast to that which is true” (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/separate-churches.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Freethought(m): 5:56am On Apr 02, 2017
Xtian couples attending different church is a sign of disagreement in dere home which of course is a sin and make them less of a christian

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Moferere: 6:02am On Apr 02, 2017
How will my wife be attending a different church?

It's a sign of lost of control

13 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by CoolFreeday(m): 6:05am On Apr 02, 2017
I don't see it as a sin, though it might not be healthy for the relationship especially the children.
Its time we Christian begin to know that we worship one God irrespective of Church

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by eezeribe(m): 6:40am On Apr 02, 2017
The so called churches have caused more division than unity...
It is really absurd to see members of the same church who worship in the head quarters,having an air of superiority on those who worship in smaller branches.
That's why I enjoy my Sundays at home.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Katier00(f): 6:47am On Apr 02, 2017
we got married as Catholics but he One day woke up and started attending, the Lord's chosen without my consent. He tried to compel me to change my church, omo me tell am say, it won't work. so he respected himself n maintained his lane, me still they go catholic but he has changed his church 5 times now. confusion galore .

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by IBpaul(m): 6:56am On Apr 02, 2017
Attending different churches means dy are not couples
1+1=1

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by ojun50(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2017
Is nt a sin, bt family that attend d same church stay together nd pray together

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by laurel03(m): 7:00am On Apr 02, 2017
Freethought:
Xtian couples attending different church is a sign of disagreement in dere home which of course is a sin and make them less of a christian
sin then church suppose to be one.... that is one of the major problem of we xtain eg deeper life girl will tell Catholic guy that they can't marry each other because of diff doctrine... redeem run for celestial, Jehova witness never agree for pentecosta.. seven days adventist and C&S not possible...
like say Jesus is different.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Kondomatic(m): 7:02am On Apr 02, 2017
Katier00:
we got married as Catholics but he One day woke up and started attending, the Lord's chosen without my consent. He tried to compel me to change my church, omo me tell am say, it won't work. so he respected himself n maintained his lane, me still they go catholic but he has changed his church 5 times now. confusion galore .
Your point is?

12 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 02, 2017
It's very unhealthy to worship at different churches.
That which God has joined together, let no man put asunder.
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Homeboiy: 7:06am On Apr 02, 2017
Its is not wrong
no be one God all of them dey serve?
Christians tire me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by hopefulLandlord: 7:07am On Apr 02, 2017
A Nigerian couple shouldn't even believe a Jew died for their sins
wetin concern Israel with Nigeria

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 02, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Are you for real, don't you have any other thing to do with your life? I feel for you

14 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 02, 2017
Moferere:
How will my wife be attending a different church?

It's a sign of lost of control

Nawao, which one is loss of control there

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 02, 2017
It's definitely not a sin but it's better to attend the same church to promote understanding

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Freethought(m): 7:26am On Apr 02, 2017
laurel03:
sin

Yes my dear, any disagreement in a. Xtian Home that causes couples to attend different churches is against the laws of God and anytin yu do which is against the laws stated in d bible is a SIN
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by menxer: 7:28am On Apr 02, 2017
OP, try and paragraph your article for easy reading.

People talk about marriage as "sacred, holy, everlasting" and you wonder how that is possible for something that is earth bound.

Saying the husband is the Spiritual head of the family is a lie and misleading, else how do you explain the role of Prophetess Deborah, "virgin" Mary, and all the women that have fought and won spiritual battles for their families?

I thought Jesus being the head makes the husband and wife the body in spiritual matters.

As for attending same church, it's just for convenience, because there is no place it's stated such is a criteria for spiritual evolution.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by hopefulLandlord: 7:31am On Apr 02, 2017
Pidgin2:

Are you for real, don't you have any other thing to do with your life? I feel for you

I'm for real, unlike your imaginary friend

I'm doing "other things" with my life, its no use saying those things on Nairaland tongue

but you, you claimed a Jew that was killed in a small Israeli village died for your misdemeanors

Take a look at a map. You're in a small country off the coast of west africa. Try to locate Israel on that map and estimate the distance between you and Israel. Think about the number of cultures, governments, people, histories and stories that you'd journey through if you were to trek to Israel by foot. So someone who was killed in one small village there was dying for your sins? I pity you.

and oh! the Jews themselves who lived during Jesus time didn't even believe Jesus was the Messiah, that's why THERE ARE MORE MUSLIMS IN ISRAEL THAN THERE ARE CHRISTIANS

The religious affiliation of the Israeli population
as of 2011 was 75.4% Judaism , 16.9%
Muslim , 2.1% Christian

but a Nigerian read from a book and quickly believes the Jews were wrong; a book written by anonymous authors

Nigerians need to free themselves from all these nonsense

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by dingbang(m): 7:36am On Apr 02, 2017
What then is the essence of marriage when both cannot unite and become one? Mchew..
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Iseoluwani: 8:13am On Apr 02, 2017
Very wrong
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by DlawTECHY(m): 8:13am On Apr 02, 2017
I believe it's a choice.. . I don'tsee anything wrong... All I see is one faith...
Op nice one.. Good piece to Learn from..

Check my signature for our telegram group link..

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Dandeson1(m): 8:13am On Apr 02, 2017
Do
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by ednut1(m): 8:14am On Apr 02, 2017
life is easy but it seems humans are configured to make it hard with things like this

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:14am On Apr 02, 2017
Christians and unnecessary worries...

@Topic it actually depends if the churches concerned share similar faith.

For instance, Anglican and Methodist or Celestial and C&S will not affect the home, but Catholic and Deeper Life, Celestial and Chosen etc would definitely cause commotion.

It is best for couple to fellowship in the same church

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 02, 2017
No, it is not, but one church for both is the best.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by lonelydora: 8:15am On Apr 02, 2017
Yes! It is wrong. Have you ever read where the bible said "...and the two became one"
Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Iseoluwani: 8:15am On Apr 02, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Delusioned atheist

Always in the religion section just to make relevance

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by morereb10: 8:15am On Apr 02, 2017
I am going to say this for the benefit of those that are still single that will not understand the implication of this kind of separation. Yes, a couple going to different churches is total separation.

Look at it this way, the man has not only lost the control of his wife, he has also lost control of his children. And that relationship is heading and will only end up one way - results in separation.

Churches has different pastors that has different perspective and ideology of a particular thing or a particular problem. The last thing that will happen to a Christian couple is to have two different pastors advising them on something. Wife pastor is advising her differently and husband pastor is advising against that. It will bring the relationship to his knees undoubtedly.

Is a bad thing for a couple to go to different churches no matter how you spice it with understanding and just for a rule of thumb, is not also advisable for one couple to be Christian and another Muslim.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 02, 2017
All churches worship God, right?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" by smartty68(m): 8:16am On Apr 02, 2017
Hmmm. My fellow Christians matter don tire me. The division in the Christiandom is really absurd. God is everywhere. Everyday different churches with fliers go the find members, e con dey make me the wonder if another God dey wey I no sabi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? / Pope Francis Appoints Jonas Benson Okoye As Bishop Of Nnewi / If Evolution Was Untrue.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.