Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage (29744 Views)

What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? / Inter-tribal Marraiges / Thread For Those In Inter-tribal Relationship And Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 11:24pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ugosample:

Point of correction tho
that your last statement is a hasty generalisation that is not correct
Some of them could be mumu sha undecided
But not all Yoruba people are like that tho.
That's it.
I grew up in a multicultural environment, so I'm talking based on that

There is wat we call uniformity,(u call it generalisation) one man grew a beard, in no time everybody starts wearing beard.
It is called being in vogue or trend.
Right now, igbo women is the thing for yorubas, it is in trend, u have to ask urself y?
Particularly, since they are the only tribe doing this in the whole Nigeria. Y do they single out one tribe?

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:41pm On Apr 18, 2017
obikirinoni:
This thread should be the Dilemma of Yoruba- Igbo Inter- tribal Marriage.

As you can see them above me spreading their hatred for each other.

Believe me if violence should break out between Igbos and Yorubas, it will be too bloody cos out of the abundance of your heart you guys have been typing rubbish on nairaland.

I have even been drawn to the mud a few times.

Why Hate people so much.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

It's a pity tho

Thank God for my parents and the upbringing my parents gave me.
I don't bear such hatred cheesy
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 11:43pm On Apr 18, 2017
Ndiofe:

There is wat we call uniformity,(u call it generalisation) one man grew a beard, in no time everybody starts wearing beard.
It is called being in vogue or trend.
Right now, igbo women is the thing for yorubas, it is in trend, u have to ask urself y?
Particularly, since they are the only tribe doing this in the whole Nigeria. Y do they single out one tribe?

Do You know a lot of Igbo guys marry Yoruba girls too cheesy

it happens all the time lol.

Does that mean Yoruba babes are the trend too?

Many Igbo guys my age bracket who grew uo in Lagos are married to Yoruba baes

So it's nothing special

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 11:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
kolaish:
Yes, I agree with you. But, honestly, I have relative peace in my marriage. That is not to say that others who married from other tribe does not enjoy same. But, I can only advice someone based on what I have experienced and see others go through. That is why I will always say "Marry from your tribe"

Imagine the teacher asking your child from which tribe are you? Then your child will say, my father is a yoruba man but my mother is from Igbo/hausa. Why not save the stress. Even the prophets that are of old (Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) married from their tribe, So, what is my problem if I cannot marry from my tribe.

Nobody is saying you cannot marry from your tribe. What we are saying is that those who marry within their tribe, are not better or worse off than those who marry outside their tribe. So no one should dissuade those who wish to marry outside their tribe. cheesy

I always tell people, that it is not about the tribe you marry from, but about the kind of family you marry from, and also the character of the person you are getting married to, as well as the emotional bond or connection that you both share. undecided

If a child is asked what tribe he belongs to, he is free to provide the answer he desires, as long as he understands his unique identity. cool Besides, what is wrong with a child claiming both ethnic groups which his parents belong to? Is it a crime or an offence? Most times, children would claim their paternal heritage, as our society is structured along patrilineal lines.

As for the prophets of old, please tell me where Moses' wife came from? Was she an Israelite? Queen Esther who saved her people, married a king who was not from Israel. Even the lineage of our Lord Jesus had Ruth included in it. Ruth was a Moabite, who married into the Hebrew family of Elimelech and Naomi. Please go through the Bible and check the lineage of the prominent families in it.

What the patriarchs preached against was marrying other tribes that were involved in idolatry. Today, there are Christians from different ethnic groups who believe in the redemption work of our Lord Jesus. Do you still believe such people should not get married because they hail from different tribes, despite the fact that they share the same faith? sad

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:12am On Apr 19, 2017
ElsonMorali:
If I tell you my own life experiences concerning this issue you'll be totally amazed.

Trust me I've had a girl's family ostracize her because She was dating me, a Yoruba guy, an "_ngbati _ngbati".

Lol.

Just don't open that can of worms. Some things are better left unsaid.

And how did the love affair end?? Pray, do tell!! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 12:21am On Apr 19, 2017
laudate:

i dont know which best qualifies u, igbo hater or stalker, either u needserous help.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:24am On Apr 19, 2017
AreaFada2:
I agree with almost all you wrote.

But despite increasing inter tribal and inter ethnic marriages, the vast majority still marry within. I can only talk of the experiences of those I know. Not of those I do not know. My submission never claimed to be a scientific position.

Centuries ago, when most people still lived and died within one village or a small geographical location, my ancestors already married from faraway tribes. Aunts married outside in the 1950s already.

My observation of unsuccessful inter tribal marriages mostly fall within the past 15 to 20 years. And strictly only females marrying men of other tribes.
As for women we married from other tribes, it has been phenomenal success. Especially Igbo women.

Oh yes, a majority of people still marry within their own ethnic group. But this debate is not about whether a greater proportion of people marry within their ethnic group or not. sad

This is about the fact that marrying within your ethnic group, is not a cast iron guarantee of marital success and happiness, as opposed to marrying outside it. All marriages encounter one kind of challenge, difficulty or issue at one time or the other due to a whole load of factors, irrespective of whether the spouses come from the same ethnic group or not. What matters most is how you navigate through them, in order to find lasting peace. undecided

Have you asked yourself, that why are more marriages falling apart in the past 15 to 20 years than it did, many years ago? Is it just due to cultural differences? Or is there something more? Aren't marriages conducted among spouses who hail from the same ethnic group failing, as well?

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 12:24am On Apr 19, 2017
Ugosample:

Do You know a lot of Igbo guys marry Yoruba girls too cheesy

it happens all the time lol.

Does that mean Yoruba babes are the trend too?

Many Igbo guys my age bracket who grew uo in Lagos are married to Yoruba baes

So it's nothing special

Definately not as much as Yoruba guys. This ones seem to have made igbo a criteria for marriage.

Many will be single waiting for igbo, this is confirmed, which igbo guy wait 4 yoruba? if i no see yoruba, i no go marry?

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:27am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:
i dont know which best qualifies u, igbo hater or stalker, either u needserous help.

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 12:28am On Apr 19, 2017
laudate:

wat am saying is simple, save ur hate filled advice 4 ur tribe people, u are not fit to give advice here.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:38am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:
wat am saying is simple, save ur hate filled advice 4 ur tribe people, u are not fit to give advice here.

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 12:40am On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=laudate post=55696049][/quote]

right bak at u. u took long to find that picture. u are the definition of madness, abeg dey try locate ur people, no be we do u.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:42am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:
right bak at u? u took long to find that picture, u are the definition of madness, abeg dey try locate ur people, no be we do u.

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 12:49am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:

Definately not as much as Yoruba guys. This ones seem to have made igbo a criteria for marriage.

Many will be single waiting for igbo, this is confirmed, which igbo guy wait 4 yoruba? if i no see yoruba, i no go marry?

Did you grow up in Lagos
I bet not
Because if you do, you will find out that Igbo man, Yoruba woman is more than vice versa.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 12:55am On Apr 19, 2017
Ugosample:

Did you grow up in Lagos
I bet not
Because if you do, you will find out that Igbo man, Yoruba woman is more than vice versa.

I doubt that, becos we have families and we dont see yoruba wife. I tell u wat we see more, yoruba men (inlaw) married to an igbo lady.
Igbo men married to yoruba women are very few.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 1:07am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:

I doubt that, becos we have families and we dont see yoruba wife. I tell u wat we see more, yoruba men (inlaw) married to an igbo lady.
Igbo men married to yoruba women are very few.

But on my own side of the family, plus parents friends plus associates, plus my years of growing up in Lagos, there are FAR more Igbo guys with Yoruba girls than vice versa.
Even some Igbolecturers in SW are marriedto Yoruba women.

the same may even happen to me sef, judging by my circles and all.

The Wedding party (the movie) was made based on that observation.

Come to Lagos and see for yourself

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by kolaish(m): 7:25am On Apr 19, 2017
laudate:

Nobody is saying you cannot marry from your tribe. What we are saying is that those who marry within their tribe, are not better or worse off than those who marry outside their tribe. So no one should dissuade those who wish to marry outside their tribe. cheesy

I always tell people, that it is not about the tribe you marry from, but about the kind of family you marry from, and also the character of the person you are getting married to, as well as the emotional bond or connection that you both share. undecided

If a child is asked what tribe he belongs to, he is free to provide the answer he desires, as long as he understands his unique identity. cool Besides, what is wrong with a child claiming both ethnic groups which his parents belong to? Is it a crime or an offence? Most times, children would claim their paternal heritage, as our society is structured along patrilineal lines.

As for the prophets of old, please tell me where Moses' wife came from? Was she an Israelite? Queen Esther who saved her people, married a king who was not from Israel. Even the lineage of our Lord Jesus had Ruth included in it. Ruth was a Moabite, who married into the Hebrew family of Elimelech and Naomi. Please go through the Bible and check the lineage of the prominent families in it.

What the patriarchs preached against was marrying other tribes that were involved in idolatry. Today, there are Christians from different ethnic groups who believe in the redemption work of our Lord Jesus. Do you still believe such people should not get married because they hail from different tribes, despite the fact that they share the same faith? sad
You have good points no doubt. But for me, NO, NO and NO. What is good for you may not be good for me, different tales for different folks... Let me give you another experience;

I have an uncle (a yoruba man) working in kano and he married an hausa woman. when fight broke out in the north between hausa and yoruba, some of my uncles friend were killed, so he decided to run down to Ibadan with his wife and 4 children, but to his greatest dismay, the family refuses to allow him go with their daughter and children. He relocated some years back and since then he has only succeeded in getting custody of one of his children. The rest is stories... Experience, they say, is the best teacher.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ndiofe: 8:17am On Apr 19, 2017
Ugosample:

But on my own side of the family, plus parents friends plus associates, plus my years of growing up in Lagos, there are FAR more Igbo guys with Yoruba girls than vice versa.
Even some Igbolecturers in SW are marriedto Yoruba women.

the same may even happen to me sef, judging by my circles and all.

The Wedding party (the movie) was made based on that observation.

Come to Lagos and see for yourself

Dude, u sound like one of those people that went to lagos and dont visit ur village.

Marriage is not a bed of roses and inter-tribal marriage is not better, it comes with alot of complications.

In the kindred where i come from, i am yet to see an igbo man married to a yoruba woman, believe me i attend meeting. However, we do meet yoruba inlaws at wedding or funerals. It is always yoruba men married to igbo women.

Igbo men may date other tribe but always come up with excuse as u find in this article by the OP, i.e. my mother dont like you.
Igbo men listen and take into consideration parental opinion in marriage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by Ugosample(m): 9:23am On Apr 19, 2017
Ndiofe:

Dude, u sound like one of those people that went to lagos and dont visit ur village.

Marriage is not a bed of roses and inter-tribal marriage is not better, it comes with alot of complications.

In the kindred where i come from, i am yet to see an igbo man married to a yoruba woman, believe me i attend meeting. However, we do meet yoruba inlaws at wedding or funerals. It is always yoruba men married to igbo women.

Igbo men may date other tribe but always come up with excuse as u find in this article by the OP, i.e. my mother dont like you.
Igbo men listen and take into consideration parental opinion in marriage.

Ah no wonder....

I know your type...
And that of your kindred cheesy cheesy grin

Sorry boss, mine, and the Igbo families in our circle are not like that grin grin

Lol @ travel to village too grin

Not every Igbo "Kindred" is like yours, and I can bet that you are from Anambra too. the ones I know that behave that way are mostly anambra peeps.

I'm not from there, so we behave differently; D

And we have also come to the maturity that indeed, a mother's cultural background is as important as that if the dad, so from the names, to the offspring of such relationships speaking both languages, and even the man making effort to learn the woman's language and vice versa, there is minimal friction in the relationships.

You people on the other hand, from what I have observed will do the opposite.
Making excuses like cowards cheesy grin My mother does not like you cheesy grin Just imagine tongue

So, stick to what works for you guys, let we on the other side stick to what is working for us too.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ElsonMorali: 9:40am On Apr 19, 2017
laudate:

Haha, trust me it wasn't a funny story then o.

Anyway the long and short of it was we had to part ways, crying. cry
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by laudate: 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2017
kolaish:
You have good points no doubt. But for me, NO, NO and NO. What is good for you may not be good for me, different tales for different folks... Let me give you another experience;

I have an uncle (a yoruba man) working in kano and he married an hausa woman. when fight broke out in the north between hausa and yoruba, some of my uncles friend were killed, so he decided to run down to Ibadan with his wife and 4 children, but to his greatest dismay, the family refuses to allow him go with their daughter and children. He relocated some years back and since then he has only succeeded in getting custody of one of his children. The rest is stories... Experience, they say, is the best teacher.

Well, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. But for me, I still firmly believe that marrying within your own ethnic group is not a guarantee that your marriage would be happier and more successful, than the marriages of those who married outside their ethnic group. undecided

As for your uncle's case, please find out the facts very well. He and his spouse may have had some deep-seated unresolved problems, that came to the fore when he decided to relocate to the south. He only used the cultural difference as an excuse.

I know several couple from different ethnic groups similar to the one shared by your uncle and his wife (i.e. Hausa/Yoruba) who have lived comfortably & peacefully in the south for years. Afterall, your uncle's wife and her people knew he was a Yoruba man from the south, before she married him. Didn't she ever follow him to the south to see his family or parents, while they were together? What led to her sudden aversion? Anyway, to each man his own... sad
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by kolaish(m): 1:17pm On Apr 19, 2017
laudate:

Well, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. But for me, I still firmly believe that marrying within your own ethnic group is not a guarantee that your marriage would be happier and more successful, than the marriages of those who married outside their ethnic group. undecided

As for your uncle's case, please find out the facts very well. He and his spouse may have had some deep-seated unresolved problems, that came to the fore when he decided to relocate to the south. He only used the cultural difference as an excuse.

I know several couple from different ethnic groups similar to the one shared by your uncle and his wife (i.e. Hausa/Yoruba) who have lived comfortably & peacefully in the south for years. Afterall, your uncle's wife and her people knew he was a Yoruba man from the south, before she married him. Didn't she ever follow him to the south to see his family or parents, while they were together? What led to her sudden aversion? Anyway, to each man his own... sad
Yes, every marriage (tribal or inter tribal) has their ups and down. If it is okay by you or anyone else to marry from other tribes and it is working well for you, why not stick to it. We all stick perfectly well to whatsoever works for us. My mother advised me to marry from my tribe and I obeyed her, my marriage is a dream one (i.e. the tribal parts/effects of marriage and not other factors). Therefore, whosoever seek my advice, I will gladly tell him/her the good and bad side of marrying from other tribe so that in the future, he/she can reflect back and know that I said it before.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by ElsonMorali: 2:57pm On Apr 19, 2017
[quote author=Ndiofe post=55691779]

U and I know age is a factor otherwise, none of dem will agree to mix with "dirty oily cowardly genes". There comes an age whereby a woman will hurriedly follow just about any man that propose marriage.

Sorry, but you're the only one that knows that o. Not you and I. All you've just done is to portray Igbo women as desperate and needy who will do anything to get married.
You've also shown by your statement that they are incapable of making good decisions and that they a little better than whores. undecided

I Hope they come out here and flay you for this.

U have advertised and shouted from the mountain about ur obsession for igbo people and also their women.
U are very easy for our girls, u present no challenge wat so eva
, u are ready, willing, waiting and dieing for igbo.

Lolest. The obsession only exists in your mind. Walahi. Nothing special about your girls. You can keep daydreaming sha, it's your right.
@bolded, you mean your girls make themselves too cheap for us and they present no challenge to us.

Other scenario na money matter. (financial marriages)

There you go again calling your women gold diggers. Well you know your mothers sisters and daughters better. I won't argue with you.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by wealthtrak: 8:46pm On Aug 12, 2021
NaijaBinaryKing:

Follow your heart dear, as long as you are sure of his love for you.

I am Yoruba, but married to an Akwaibom woman. I have never for one day regretted getting married to her.
Re: The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage by addictiv(m): 10:57pm On Aug 12, 2021
laudate:

Truer words have never been spoken.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Mother Wants Me To Rent My Own House / What Happens To Orphanage Kids That Weren't Adopted and grew to adulthood? / Things A Man Should Do For His Wife All The Time (Part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.