Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,373 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? (13320 Views)

Catholics And Traditional Rulers Battle Over NYSC Camp In Imo (Photos) / How To Witness To Loved Ones Who Are Roman Catholics / Roman Catholics Requests Pope Francis Refer To Mary As Co-redemptrix With Jesus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:13pm On Apr 24, 2017
DoctorAlien:

The concordance is not inspired and I refuse to accept its teaching which negates GOD's own.

According to GOD, LIVING SOUL = BODY + BREATH OF LIFE(Gen. 2:7).
Do you think the bible was written in english? it wasn't, The concordance tell you what d word mean in its original use. The bible didnt begin with kjv
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:22pm On Apr 24, 2017
DoctorAlien:

The concordance is not inspired and I refuse to accept its teaching which negates GOD's own.

According to GOD, LIVING SOUL = BODY + BREATH OF LIFE(Gen. 2:7).
EX 15:9 American Standard Version The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake, I will divide the spoil; My desire shall be satisfied upon them; I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.
Psalms 78:18 [ study!] American Standard Version
And they tempted God in their heart By asking food according to their desire Psalms 105:22 [ study!] American Standard Version (ASV 1901) [2] — To bind his princes at his pleasure, And teach his elders wisdom.
HERE SOUL IS TRANSLATED AS DESIRE/pleasure.

1 Like

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:56pm On Apr 24, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Oga, does your own version of soul which you say exists within you be hungry for food, or have appetite? Can it bought with money by your fellow man?

You can see that Job is not talking about a conscious entity within his body which probably flies out after death.

THE BIBLE CLEARLY SAYS THE SOUL DEPARTS FROM THE BODY AT DEATH.
gen 35:18
And as her soul was departing (for she was
dying), she called his name Ben-oni; but his
father called him Benjamin.
New American Standard Bible
It came about as her soul was departing (for she died), that she named him Ben-oni; but his father called him Benjamin.
King James Bible
And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him
Benjamin.
www.biblehub.com/interlinear/genesis/35-18.htm
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:34pm On Apr 24, 2017
DoctorAlien:
The Hebrew word translated “soul” in the Old Testament is nephesh, which simply means “a breathing creature.”Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words defines nephesh as “the essence of life, the act of breathing, taking breath … .(1985, p. 237-238, emphasis added).
I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT VINES COMPLETE EXPOSITORY IS NOW ONLINE?
THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS.
1: ψυχή
(Strong's #5590 — Noun Feminine — psuche — psoo-khay' ) denotes "the breath, the breath of life," then "the soul," in its various meanings. The NT uses "may be analyzed approximately as
follows:
(a) the natural life of the body, Matthew 2:20 ; Luke 12:22 ; Acts 20:10 ; Revelation 8:9 ; 12:11 ; cp. Leviticus 17:11 ; 2 Samuel 14:7 ; Esther 8:11 ; (b) the immaterial, invisible part of man, Matthew 10:28 ; Acts 2:27 ; cp. 1 Kings 17:21 ; (c) the disembodied (or "unclothed" or "naked," 2 Corinthians 5:3,4 ) man, Revelation 6:9....

https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/ved/s/soul.htm
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 6:59am On Apr 25, 2017
rhektor:

Jesus only came to reunite humanity with God by providing the way to the Father

He chose to use The Catholic Church to do this, as his ordinary instrument of salvation.

Matt 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

1 Like

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 7:06am On Apr 25, 2017
@ Ubenedictus, please what is Doctoralien saying about the Soul, and how does it tell us which protestant sect the early Christians belonged to, since he says they werent Catholic?
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:46am On Apr 25, 2017
italo:
@ Ubenedictus, please what is Doctoralien saying about the Soul, and how does it tell us which protestant sect the early Christians belonged to, since he says they werent Catholic?

he believes there is no consciousness after death he thinks the soul dies, it is a 4th century heresy called thnetopsychism, which proposess that the soul dies, the heresy originated in arabia and was condemned there by a synod and also condemn by constantinople and finally by the 4th lateran council. The arabs who brought d heresy were not sabaterians or arians like dralien, so i will mr alien is actually combining many varied heresies.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Aizenosa(m): 11:33am On Apr 25, 2017
easymancfc:

Oh.. So you know everything.. Please give the Part of the Catechism where the Catholic Church teaches that its followers should ADORE MARY...
please I need the Paragraph number... am curious... prove it using the Catechism which contains all Catholic teachings

This is jamb question
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Wilgrea7(m): 1:07pm On Apr 25, 2017
PastorAIO:

So please when did it start?
A) in the upper room on Pentecost
B) in Antioch a few years later
C) on 397ad by Constantine
D) in the life time of jesus when the bible says he called out ( ekklesia) his disciples.
E) all of the above and more
F) none of the above and less

I'd say C
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 3:04pm On Apr 25, 2017
Wilgrea7:

I'd say C

Bros, Constantine died 337AD.

Are you saying he came back in 397AD, 60years later, to establish the Catholic Church?

Na wah o!
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 3:07pm On Apr 25, 2017
Ubenedictus:
he believes there is no consciousness after death he thinks the soul dies, it is a 4th century heresy called thnetopsychism, which proposess that the soul dies, the heresy originated in arabia and was condemned there by a synod and also condemn by constantinople and finally by the 4th lateran council. The arabs who brought d heresy were sabaterians or arians like dralien, so i will mr alien is actually combining many varied heresies.

Na wah.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Wilgrea7(m): 3:27pm On Apr 25, 2017
italo:

Bros, Constantine died 337AD.

Are you saying he came back in 397AD, 60years later, to establish the Catholic Church?

Na wah o!

I'm sure you get the point... he was talking about the time of Constantine... even if he got the dates wrong... I'm sure you get the drift
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by easymancfc(m): 3:43pm On Apr 25, 2017
Wilgrea7:

I'm sure you get the point... he was talking about the time of Constantine... even if he got the dates wrong... I'm sure you get the drift

Do you know any early Church fathers?? Ignatius of Antioch maybe
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by blackbriar: 5:04pm On Apr 25, 2017
easymancfc:

Do you know any early Church fathers?? Ignatius of Antioch maybe
eusebius and tertullian
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by easymancfc(m): 5:46pm On Apr 25, 2017
blackbriar:

eusebius and tertullian

Indeed their writings seems to indicate a catholicity

Tertullian (c. 155 - 250 A.D.)
Likewise, in regard to days of fast, many do not think they should be present at the SACRIFICIAL prayers, because their fast would be broken if they were to receive THE BODY OF THE LORD … THE BODY OF THE LORD HAVING BEEN RECEIVED
AND RESERVED , each point is secured: both the participation IN THE SACRIFICE … ( Prayer 19:1 )
The flesh feeds on THE BODY AND BLOOD OF
CHRIST , so that the SOUL TOO may fatten on
God. ( Resurrection of the Dead 8:3 )
The Sacrament of the Eucharist, which the Lord
commanded to be taken at meal times and by
all, we take even before daybreak in
congregations… WE OFFER SACRIFICES FOR THE DEAD on their birthday anniversaries…. We take anxious care lest something of our Cup or Bread should fall upon the ground… (The Crown 3:3-4)
A woman, after the death of her husband, is bound not less firmly but even more so, not to marry another husband…Indeed, she prays for his soul and asks that he may, while waiting, find rest; and that he may share in the first resurrection. And each year, on the anniversary of his death, SHE OFFERS THE SACRIFICE . (Monogamy 10:1,4)

St. Ignatius of Antioch (c. 110 A.D.)
I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the Bread of God, WHICH IS THE FLESH OF JESUS CHRIST , who was of the seed of David; and for drink I DESIRE HIS BLOOD , which is love incorruptible. ( Letter to the Romans 7:3 )
Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: FOR THERE IS ONE FLESH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST , and one cup IN THE UNION OF HIS BLOOD ; one ALTAR , as there is one bishop with the presbytery… ( Letter to the Philadelphians 4:1 )
They [i.e. the Gnostics] abstain from the
Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that THE EUCHARIST IS THE FLESH OF OUR SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST , flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his
goodness, raised up again. ( Letter to Smyrnians 7:1 )

Eusebius (263-339)
1. Eusebius says the Communion is 'only the bread and wine,' "And the fulfilment of the oracle is truly wondrous, to one who recognizes how our Saviour Jesus the Christ of God even now performs through His ministers even today sacrifices after the manner of Melchizedek's. For just as he, who was priest of the Gentiles, is
not represented as offering outward sacrifices, but as blessing Abraham only with wine and bread, in exactly the same
way our Lord and Saviour Himself first, and then all His priests among all nations, perform the spiritual sacrifice according to the customs of the Church , and with
wine and bread darkly express the mysteries of His Body and saving
Blood." (Eusebius, Demonstratio
Evangelica, 5:3)
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:31pm On Apr 25, 2017
easymancfc:

Indeed their writings seems to indicate a catholicity

Tertullian (c. 155 - 250 A.D.)
Likewise, in regard to days of fast, many do not think they should be present at the SACRIFICIAL prayers, because their fast would be broken if they were to receive THE BODY OF THE LORD … THE BODY OF THE LORD HAVING BEEN RECEIVED
AND RESERVED , each point is secured: both the participation IN THE SACRIFICE … ( Prayer 19:1 )
The flesh feeds on THE BODY AND BLOOD OF
CHRIST , so that the SOUL TOO may fatten on
God. ( Resurrection of the Dead 8:3 )
The Sacrament of the Eucharist, which the Lord
commanded to be taken at meal times and by
all, we take even before daybreak in
congregations… WE OFFER SACRIFICES FOR THE DEAD on their birthday anniversaries…. We take anxious care lest something of our Cup or Bread should fall upon the ground… (The Crown 3:3-4)
careful with tertullian...he sometimes play with heresy.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by easymancfc(m): 6:33pm On Apr 25, 2017
Ubenedictus:
careful with tertullian...he sometimes play with heresy.

I know Sir.. but the fellow mentioned tertullian.. So I wanted to show him a tertullian quote.. Anyway.. before he fell into heresy he was quite insightful
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:50pm On Apr 25, 2017
easymancfc:

I know Sir.. but the fellow mentioned tertullian.. So I wanted to show him a tertullian quote.. Anyway.. before he fell into heresy he was quite insightful
true
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 8:48pm On Apr 25, 2017
Wilgrea7:

If you say so, I take your word for it.

You need to read from the early Church fathers...to see they were Catholic.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by rhektor(m): 10:18pm On Apr 25, 2017
italo:

He chose to use The Catholic Church to do this, as his ordinary instrument of salvation.

Matt 16:18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Stop attributing Peter with your Catholicism, Peter is no Catholic. Stop this crap OK?

2 Likes

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:53pm On Apr 25, 2017
rhektor:

Stop attributing Peter with your Catholicism, Peter is no Catholic. Stop this crap OK?
Oya kindly go back and read the thread from the begining. Maybe that will inform you of where we are.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Wilgrea7(m): 11:38pm On Apr 25, 2017
italo:

If you say so, I take your word for it.

You need to read from the early Church fathers...to see they were Catholic.

they were not Catholic... the rcc gave them those titles... the early christian father's had varying doctrines themselves... that's why there were councils set up to check things like that and choose a doctrine that would be the belief of the “church"... those whose views didn't agree with the ones decided were called heresies... at least to the best of my knowledge

1 Like

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by italo: 6:20am On Apr 26, 2017
Wilgrea7:

they were not Catholic... the rcc gave them those titles... t[b]he early christian father's had varying doctrines themselves[/b]... that's why there were councils set up to check things like that and choose a doctrine that would be the belief of the “church"... those whose views didn't agree with the ones decided were called heresies... at least to the best of my knowledge

Give me one example of an early Christian father (from about 100AD to 300AD that wasnt Catholic...and provide evidence.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by easymancfc(m): 7:32am On Apr 26, 2017
Wilgrea7:

they were not Catholic... the rcc gave them those titles... the early christian father's had varying doctrines themselves... that's why there were councils set up to check things like that and choose a doctrine that would be the belief of the “church"... those whose views didn't agree with the ones decided were called heresies... at least to the best of my knowledge

The Early Church fathers were Catholic in their beliefs... the Councils you mentioned were called by either the Pope or a Christian leader through the Pope...
They didn't have different beliefs either, that's why councils were called to define a belief binding on the universal church and condemn all heresy and heresy promulgators contrary to the Universal Christian belief

Council of Nicea... Called against Arianism (that Jesus is subordinate to the father).. the divinity of Jesus was defined here.. the Catholic deacon Athanasius who later became Bishop of Alexandria defend that belief...

Council of Hippo (393).... for scripture canon attended by Catholics like St Augustine among others

Council of Carthage (397) for scripture canon again which contains the deuterocanonical books to confirm hippo

Council of Ephesus (431) .... was called against nestoranism (belief that Jesus has separate human and separate divine nature).. the theotokos (Mother of God) doctrine was defined here because Jesus is God, and the Council was held in Ephesus because Mary lived there after Jesus's death

Council of Chalcedon (451).. against marcionism.. which says Christ has only one nature.. The doctrine of hypostasis was defined here...

MAYBE "ROMAN CATHOLIC" MAY BE A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW... THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT JUST ROMAN, THERE ARE ALSO BYZANTINE CATHOLICS, ARMENIAN CATHOLICS ,
COPTIC CATHOLICS , ETHIOPIAN CATHOLICS , EAST SYRIAN CATHOLICS (CHALDEAN), WEST SYRIAN CATHOLICS

A DISCIPLE OF THE APOSTLE JOHN (IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH) WAS CREDITED WITH THE FIRST KNOWN USED OF THE GREEK WORD TO DESCRIBE THE CHURCH..
Ignatius of Antioch in about 107AD on his way to Rome to be killed for his faith.. used the Greek word katholikos (καθολικός),
meaning "universal", "complete" and "whole" to describe the church, writing:
"Wherever the bishop appears,
there let the people be; as
wherever Jesus Christ is, there
is the Catholic Church. It is not
lawful to baptize or give
communion without the
consent of the bishop. On the
other hand, whatever has his
approval is pleasing to God.
Thus, whatever is done will be
safe and valid. — Letter to the
Smyrnaeans 8, J.R. Willis translation.
"
It is from the word katholikos ("according to the whole"wink that the word catholic comes.
When Ignatius wrote the Letter to the
Smyrnaeans in about the year 107 and used the word catholic , he used it as if it were a word already in use to describe the Church.

Wikipedia link for you
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:38am On Apr 26, 2017
easymancfc:

The Early Church fathers were Catholic in their beliefs... the Councils you mentioned were called by either the Pope or a Christian leader through the Pope...
They didn't have different beliefs either, that's why councils were called to define a belief binding on the universal church and condemn all heresy and heresy promulgators contrary to the Universal Christian belief

Council of Nicea... Called against Arianism (that Jesus is subordinate to the father).. the divinity of Jesus was defined here.. the Catholic deacon Athanasius who later became Bishop of Alexandria defend that belief...

Council of Hippo (393).... for scripture canon attended by Catholics like St Augustine among others

Council of Carthage (397) for scripture canon again which contains the deuterocanonical books to confirm hippo

Council of Ephesus (431) .... was called against nestoranism (belief that Jesus has separate human and separate divine nature).. the theotokos (Mother of God) doctrine was defined here because Jesus is God, and the Council was held in Ephesus because Mary lived there after Jesus's death

Council of Chalcedon (451).. against marcionism.. which says Christ has only one nature.. The doctrine of hypostasis was defined here...

MAYBE "ROMAN CATHOLIC" MAY BE A BITTER PILL TO SWALLOW... THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS NOT JUST ROMAN, THERE ARE ALSO BYZANTINE CATHOLICS, ARMENIAN CATHOLICS ,
COPTIC CATHOLICS , ETHIOPIAN CATHOLICS , EAST SYRIAN CATHOLICS (CHALDEAN), WEST SYRIAN CATHOLICS

A DISCIPLE OF THE APOSTLE JOHN (IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH) WAS CREDITED WITH THE FIRST KNOWN USED OF THE GREEK WORD TO DESCRIBE THE CHURCH..
Ignatius of Antioch in about 107AD on his way to Rome to be killed for his faith.. used the Greek word katholikos (καθολικός),
communion without the
"
It is from the word katholikos ("according to the whole"wink that the word catholic comes.
Smyrnaeans in about the year 107 and used the word catholic , he used it as if it were a word already in use to describe the Church.

Wikipedia link for you

wow... i guess we learn everyday.. thanks for the information... I'll research more about it during my free time

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by rhektor(m): 2:54pm On Apr 26, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Oya kindly go back and read the thread from the begining. Maybe that will inform you of where we are.

This thread is not an authority on the issue besides that nobody has proved here how Peter was a Catholic if you think otherwise quote whoever has made such a claim
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by blackbriar: 3:00pm On Apr 26, 2017
easymancfc:

communion without the
"

Wikipedia link for you

The word ROMAN CATHOLIC is a derogatory term used by the protestants on the LATIN CHURCH,THE largest of the CATHOLIC CHURCH
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by easymancfc(m): 3:07pm On Apr 26, 2017
rhektor:

This thread is not an authority on the issue besides that nobody has proved here how Peter was a Catholic if you think otherwise quote whoever has made such a claim

Indeed.. this thread is not an authority.. but I guess you are, because you say we associate Jesus with our "rubbish"..

We have given you historical and scriptural evidence and you reject it calling it rubbish...

Take all the quotes, especially from the church fathers and do a bias free internet search...

Use neutral sources like Wikipedia and encyclopedia brittanica... Do actual research before you draw your conclusions since you are the authority..

FOR THOSE WHO SAY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FORGED THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS DOCUMENTS...

ANGLICANS, METHODIST, LUTHERAN, PRESBYTERIAN, CLERGY AND ALL THOSE WELL VERSED IN CHURCH HISTORY KNOW THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DIDN'T FORGE THESE DOCUMENTS BECAUSE THEY ARE CHRONOLOGICALLY AND HISTORICALLY ACCURATE HECK EVEN WELL STUDIED PENTECOSTAL AND EVANGELICAL DOCTORS OF THEOLOGY WHO ARE HONEST WITH THEMSELVES AGREE TOO..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by rhektor(m): 8:10pm On Apr 26, 2017
easymancfc:

Indeed.. this thread is not an authority.. but I guess you are, because you say we associate Jesus with our "rubbish"..

We have given you historical and scriptural evidence and you reject it calling it rubbish...

Take all the quotes, especially from the church fathers and do a bias free internet search...

Use neutral sources like Wikipedia and encyclopedia brittanica... Do actual research before you draw your conclusions since you are the authority..

FOR THOSE WHO SAY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH FORGED THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS DOCUMENTS...

ANGLICANS, METHODIST, LUTHERAN, PRESBYTERIAN, CLERGY AND ALL THOSE WELL VERSED IN CHURCH HISTORY KNOW THE CATHOLIC CHURCH DIDN'T FORGE THESE DOCUMENTS BECAUSE THEY ARE CHRONOLOGICALLY AND HISTORICALLY ACCURATE HECK EVEN WELL STUDIED PENTECOSTAL AND EVANGELICAL DOCTORS OF THEOLOGY WHO ARE HONEST WITH THEMSELVES AGREE TOO..

Ok, which of the early church fathers told you Peter was a pope? Quote one please.
Re: Were The Early Christians Roman Catholics? by Raphael81(m): 6:44am On Apr 27, 2017
DoctorAlien:
The Roman Catholic Church claims that the early Christians were all Roman Catholics, and that (aside from the Orthodox Church) all Christians were Roman Catholics until the Protestant Reformation. It claims that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope, ruling from Rome. It also claims that it gave us the Bible.

But do these claims stand up to the test of history? Or are they false credentials?

There is historical evidence that the Roman Catholic Church began with Emperor Constantine. Many Protestants believe that throughout Church history, there have been many true Christians who were not Catholics, and these Christians were often killed by the Catholic Church. They also believe that Peter was just one of the apostles, and that the Catholic Church only copied and preserved the Bible, which God had already given to us.

Follow the link below to read more:

www.behindthebadge.net/apologetics/discuss129.html

Anti Catholic, have u converted any atheist, many of ur type are the cause of problem in Christianity. Smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

what was man's original language? Hebrew, Arabic, or what :-\ / Methodist Church Seeks Donations As Kidnappers Of Prelate, Others Demand N100m / What's The Best Way Of Changing Your Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.