Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,677 members, 7,820,376 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua (8573 Views)

Poll: WHich politician would you prefer as a presidential candidate?

Buhari: 53% (42 votes)
Yar'adua: 46% (36 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari Extends Loot Recovery To Yar'adua, Obasanjo Era / President Jonathan Pays Homage To Yar'adua / Jonathan Pays N1billion In ‘Severance’ To Yar'adua Family - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 11:44pm On Feb 05, 2007
Big B1:

My point:
It doesn't matter who takes over "it is what it is" Nothing will change if we do not ratify the defective culture and system.
And who can make this happen faster and better?

Seun Osewa of Nairaland for President!! grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by deor03(m): 2:26pm On Feb 06, 2007
WHAT ABOUT REV Dr CHRIS OKOTIE ?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by fingerbone: 6:03pm On Feb 06, 2007
If the question is "who is the least of two evils?", well then I'll go with Buhari.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by mrpataki(m): 5:21pm On Feb 07, 2007
All the packs of nothern rogues should not be entitled to the presidential seat in 2007!
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 3:44am On Feb 09, 2007
Yes, I agree that Buhari is better than Yar'adua. I am old enough to appreciate his contribution together with his compatriot, late Gen Tunde Idiagbon, in wrestling power from the bunch of unpatriotic, selfish and corrupt second republic politicians who had messed up the economy and plunged the entire country into a state of moral decadence. His probity, uprightness, discipline and tested leadership put him far ahead of Yar'adua who cannot stand on his own without the backing of OBJ.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/columnists/onabule/2007/today-26-jan-2007.htm
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Jakumo(m): 8:04am On Feb 09, 2007
No matter how many paid praise singers chorus their purchased support for that   homicidal despot-in-waiting, Buhari, there is ZERO chance that such a self-avowed Islamic Jihadist and career jester will rise to power in Nigeria in a post 911 world, especially in light of Nigeria's growing strategic importance as an exporter of highly prized "sweet" petroleum crude.

One hopes, in a way, that Buhari does get one of his rat feet in the door during this presidential race, just so that Uncle Sam's "wet work" agents can zero in on him quicker for a clandestine pre-emptive rub-out that will send his depraved and tormented soul six feet under where he may then sternly pursue the 77 virgins to his heart's content.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by McKren(m): 8:48am On Feb 09, 2007
@Abeem

It will do my heart a great pleasure if you can provide a straight forward answer to my question.

Right most Nigerians feel the country is messed up and OBJ is very corrupt:
Question: "Will it be justified if a military officer truncates the present democracy on that ground"
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Phemolar(m): 8:52am On Feb 09, 2007
waoh!! demo what?, from fry pan to fire.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by belloti(m): 12:25pm On Feb 09, 2007
mrpataki, i am glad you are finally exposing your ethnic hatred and bigotry. you are just one of the few self-confessed northern haters in this forum.

We are looking at buharis chances based on his credentials and not his state of origin.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 12:52pm On Feb 09, 2007
All the packs of nothern rogues should not be entitled to the presidential seat in 2007
!

All the northerners dont deserve this comment of yours. You are free to mention names rather than making a blanket statement that covers the generality of northerners.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 12:58pm On Feb 09, 2007
Yes, I agree that Buhari is better than Yar'adua. I am old enough to appreciate his contribution together with his compatriot, late Gen Tunde Idiagbon, in wrestling power from the bunch of unpatriotic, selfish and corrupt second republic politicians who had messed up the economy and plunged the entire country into a state of moral decadence. His probity, uprightness, discipline and tested leadership put him far ahead of Yar'adua who cannot stand on his own without the backing of OBJ.

I never knew you are currently the Personal Assistant to Governor Yar'adua to know that he can not stand without the backing of OBJ. Just because Yar'adua gains the support of Baba now means he is too weak to lead Nigeria. If this is your opinion then we can aswell say that President Thabo Mbeki of South Africa is also weak because he enjoys the backing of Nelson Mandella.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by moleepaiko(m): 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2007
Alot f the contributions here are a bit sentimental, tribalistic, religiously affiliated and sometimes selfish.
I for one has never subscribed to rotational leadership, because I believe that it defeats the main essence of democracy. I mean, why narrow down the search for a true leader to a segment of the country, whereas you can give the electorates a galaxy of choices? It follows therefore that even when it is glaring that the person who the majority of Nigerians view as the potential candidate to rule comes from the South-south, He would not have the chance to be elected because of some stupid rotational stuff?
As for wether Buhari or Yaradua, I am of the opinion that who ever we eventually pick should be the one who would deliver us from the twin evils of corruption and mismanagement. The one who would provide sucour to the already impoverished Nigerians, develop our infrastructure and provide an enabling environment for jobs to our teeming youth population.
I am looking for a leader who would damn all consequences and jail all the guilty money bags who have contributed in looting our national treasury. The kind of person that would genuinely restore the rule of law,provide security for lives and property and encourage sustainable development. I am also looking for that person who would encourage performance and is prepared to reward it and discourage cheating and corruption and is ready to go to any length to punish offenders, no matter how highlly placed.
All the above qualities are rare but not imposible. It is unbelievable that at this stage in our democratic lives, some people still take pleasure to want to think that these qualities are only available to people of their religious extraction, their tribal group or people from their regions. I dont care if it is a GOAT from MARS that acquired a Nigerian identity through the internet who posesses these quualities and is ready to apply it for the good of every one. All I care about is to be able to get the right kind of education, get the right kind of job that suits my qualifications, afford the good things I wish to get and be secure in my country. I want to be proud to be from Nigeria anywhere I go, not to have my baggage scrutinized because I carry a green passport.
Until we stop labeling the GOOD LEADER with tribal marks, until it ceases to matter if he is Muslim or christian and several other selfish qualities, we will truelly never see goodness in any of the so called leaders vying for the lucrative position.
Right now, I pray that whoever eventually gets elected pocesses all tose qualities I have mentioned and even more!
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2007
Amen bro, we are not ignorant of the issues bedeviling the rotational and 'north-south' dichotomy in Nigeria, sadly the issue at hand is not that, btu who to choose between the options that have been made available to us now.

Buhari or Yar'Adua? does anyone have any information as to if and when presidential debates will be held?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 11:29pm On Feb 09, 2007
@moleeipaiko,

I agree with your submission. 

PDP as a party have had their opportunity and it is high time another party is trusted with the leadership and affairs of the country.  I am at a loss as to why anybody would advocate for the extension of  the tenure of PDP government (with the tacit support for the election of Yar'adua candidature) after the painful experience of the party's misgovernment the last eight years.

In the US, the Republican party had been in control of the Congress since 1994,  a feat they capped with the election of Bush as president in 2000, giving the party total control of the executive branch of the government and the legislature.  Soon the party became intoxicated with power and with time, they lost touch with the wishes and aspirations of the people.  This resulted in the defeat of the Republican party in the last congressional elections in November 2006, culminating in the shift and balance of power in favour of the Democratic party. 

In Nigeria, we are capable of showing our disdain and disaffection with the PDP style of governance, by showing them the way out of government in the forthcoming elections.  I believe we can and we should take a cue from the US electorate who had become fed up with the excesses of the former Republican party and did not hesitate to show the party the exit from power. 

If we must hold our leaders accountable for their acts and miscarriage in office, then OBJ must not have his way in rigging the next election in favour of Yar'adua.  The experience of 1979 is still fresh in our memory.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 11:42pm On Feb 09, 2007
McKren:

@Abeem

It will do my heart a great pleasure if you can provide a straight forward answer to my question.

Right most Nigerians feel the country is messed up and OBJ is very corrupt:
Question: "Will it be justified if a military officer truncates the present democracy on that ground"

The honest answer to the question posed by you is a capital NO.  But having said that, which military officer is bent on truncating our current democratic set up on account of corruption of the present crop of leaders?  Please educate me.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 12:32am On Feb 10, 2007
Mr Abeem, military officers never give notice, alll you'll hear is Marshal music on the airwaves and then a stupid 'Fellow Nanjerians' speech.

lets forget the military, Obj is excused (by me at least) ans the necessary 'transition' between military and civillian rule, now we need people who have played by the rules and have been successful (even if marginally) on this basis I will support Yar'Adua over Buhari. I don't want someone who will out of spite undo the little good Obj achieved in order to make a point or name for himself, I like people who work without noise, but get the job done.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by McKren(m): 12:32am On Feb 10, 2007
@Abeem

That question was borne out of your justification of Buhari's coup which truncated democracy. His actions then cost this nation over 20years. He can not expect to benefit from a system he does not believe in. If we were living in a civilized society Buhari will be too ashamed to take part in our National debate let alone sick the people's vote.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 6:03am On Feb 10, 2007
McKren:

@Abeem

That question was borne out of your justification of Buhari's coup which truncated democracy. His actions then cost this nation over 20years. He can not expect to benefit from a system he does not believe in. If we were living in a civilized society Buhari will be too ashamed to take part in our National debate let alone sick the people's vote.

I don't agree with you.  First, it was patriotism that drove him to sack the civilian government on account of their corruption, misgovernance et al.  Unfortunately, the evil genius did not let his administration finish the job they set out to do.  Ghana was in the same messy situation with Nigeria (if not worse) but thanks to Jerry Rawlings, Ghana has now become a model of democracy for all countries in West Africa. Rawlings set out to achieve a mission and succeeded in reforming the Ghanaian society, and the people owe a lot to him. If you have not been to Ghana, I am sure you have heard a lot about the country lately.

You talk about truncating democracy. What democracy? The type of democracy practised by Nigerian politicians is a lot different from the universally acclaimed democracy which is "the government of the people, by the people and for the people".  When politicians asks for people's votes, they undertake to serve the people, and by so doing, are accountable to us.  Can you tell me in all honesty that Nigerian politicians are truly subservient to the people?  Unless you want to be economical with the truth, the answer is a resounding NO. 

We need a leader who we can trust that will not line his pocket with the commonwealth funds.  A tested leader who is firm and is driven by the selfish desire to rescue the country from the parasitic members of the PDP.  I think that Buhari perfectly fit this bill.  OBJ saw these qualities in him when he asked him to cross-carpet to PDP but as a principled person that he is, he was honour bound to reject the greek gift.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Jakumo(m): 7:18am On Feb 10, 2007
Abeem isn't it just fabulous to reside contentedly in the democratic and free US while condescendingly rooting for a proven despot, sadist and Islamic zealot to rule and whimsically jail your countrymen back in Africa. 

I imagine the dark reign of unrelenting terror that would be ushered in by a Buhari dictatorship in Nigeria ought to prove immensely entertaining to good folks like you and me who will be able to follow CNN reports documenting the decline and demise of a distant basket-case theocracy-strangled country with detached amusement.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by McKren(m): 9:27am On Feb 10, 2007
I don't agree with you. First, it was patriotism that drove him to sack the civilian government on account of their corruption, misgovernance et al

That in my view is double standards, Buhari's act then was patriotism but another officer doing it now is not patriotism. The truth is that if not for Buhari's act Nigeria's democracy would have grown and even the Ghana you talk about would not have been any match to us.

Unfortunately, the evil genius did not let his administration finish the job they set out to do.
IBB toppling Buhari's government is no crime cos he Buhari did not rise to power on the people's mandate his regime and that of every military government were illegal. But that of Buhari is even more illegal because he ousted a democratically elected government.

You talk about truncating democracy. What democracy? The type of democracy practised by Nigerian politicians is a lot different from the universally acclaimed democracy which is "the government of the people, by the people and for the people". When politicians asks for people's votes, they undertake to serve the people, and by so doing, are accountable to us. Can you tell me in all honesty that Nigerian politicians are truly subservient to the people? Unless you want to be economical with the truth, the answer is a resounding NO.
Good, our democracy is not one to be proud of but you got to understand that we have to groom it over time to strengthen it. Telling me because our democracy is not perfect we now allow a Buhari who has no clue what democracy is about to repair it is very laughable.

In summary I think there is double standards in all you are saying. Toppling the present Government is unacceptable but the one perpetrated by Buhari is That is not fair.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 11:00am On Feb 10, 2007
I don't agree with you. First, it was patriotism that drove him to sack the civilian government on account of their corruption, misgovernance et al.

What is patrotic in truncating a democratic administration?? were there no other means of addressing the issue instead of using guns? So you are telling us now that Cutting off the head is the solution to headache. I have said it before and i'm saying it again Buhari has no democratic antecedent and he lacks the moral right to seek the votes of the electorates. During his millitary regim everybody knew it was Tunde Idiagbon that was actually incharge. IBB struck immediately he heard Idiagbon had gone for Hadj knowing fully well that Buhari was (is) a coward and will submit even without a gun being pointed at him. The coup was so easy such that civilians even took part this is to show you the kind of man we are talking about. Once again dont forget that this same Buhari admornished Nigerians to vote along religion line. He asked muslims to vote for a muslim candidate and christians to vote for a christian candidate. If voted the next Nigerian President tell me what will be the faith of all non-muslims? He is never a good leader but a man being driven by his selfish ambition. He wants to be our President so as to be placed on the same platform with OBJ in terms of personal records. Nigeria is no longer a testing ground for any retired millitary general. If truelly Buhari wants to gain the respect of Nigerians he should learn from Abdusallam Abubakar who is currently on peace keeping mission all over africa and beyound.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Ndipe(m): 11:47am On Feb 10, 2007
I dont know about Yaradua, but e be like say Nigerians have learnt nothing from the past decades, and as such, will continue to be in this conundrum. Are those 2, Yaradua and Buhari, the only presidential candidates in the country? Whatever happened to Pat Utomi?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by GNature(m): 11:58am On Feb 10, 2007
Ndipe,

Pat Utomi can't win because the Northerners won't support him. If PDP is fielding a candidate from the North, do you think a southern candidate from an opposition party really stands a chance ?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by abdulwale(m): 1:12pm On Feb 12, 2007
we need a man who can seriously resurrect our judicial system, then corruption will be checked
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Afam(m): 1:32pm On Feb 12, 2007
Any Southern presidential candidate in the forth coming general election thinking of winning the presidential election is joking and it is either the person does not understand the country he wants to lead or he is too selfish to face reality.

Even though things like rotational presidency, power shift etc are undemocratic we cannot do without these things for now in Nigeria.

It is not a question of whether Utomi can be a good president or not, it is about the timing and the timing to my knowledge is way too wrong.

Little wonder all the major political parties tactfully zoned the presidency to the North in the interest of assuaging the North as regards rotating power between the north and the south.

As for the PDP flag bearer, if no one can bring up any charge of corruption against Yar'adua even though he has been a governor for close to 8 years now then he remains the best candidate for the job, whether he was selected/annointed by OBJ or not.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by illiest(m): 8:26am On Feb 13, 2007
they are both the same. they have got nothing to offer nigerians.we are really in trouble.buhari is a terorist,yaradua has no good intention he is all about obj,continuity of suffering
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2007
they are both the same. they have got nothing to offer nigerians.we are really in trouble.buhari is a terorist,yaradua has no good intention he is all about obj,continuity of suffering

It is not enough to say they are both the same, you should go ahead to inform us about what Buhari and Yar'adua share in common in terms of governance. I still can't believe why people cant say something against the candidacy of Yar'adua except that he is OBJ's choice. This is not perculiar to Nigeria alone as it is the standard worldwide. Mandella annointed Thabo Mbeki and supported him till he emmerged the President of South Africa.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by nikynike(f): 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2007
illiest:

Politic is Politics. They are the same. The outgoing leaders and the incoming l stil believe they are the same.If Obey so called christain can change definitely the rest will do the say.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Afam(m): 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2007
If they are the same then why are we complaining? Let any of them win and lead the country then unless and let us stop worrying too much about the elections.

As long as no single charge has been brought against Yar'adua even though he had led a state for close to 8 years in this corruption infested Nigeria, he remains the best choice based on the candidates that have been presented thus far.

If his only problem is that OBJ selected him then Nigerians owe OBJ a big thank you for selecting an upright Nigerian to lead this country.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 1:02pm On Feb 13, 2007

If they are the same then why are we complaining? Let any of them win and lead the country then unless and let us stop worrying too much about the elections.

As long as no single charge has been brought against Yar'adua even though he had led a state for close to 8 years in this corruption infested Nigeria, he remains the best choice based on the candidates that have been presented thus far.

If his only problem is that OBJ selected him then Nigerians owe OBJ a big thank you for selecting an upright Nigerian to lead this country.

True talk my brother cool
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by simmy(m): 5:53pm On Feb 13, 2007
yar'adua forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by omofineboy(m): 6:12pm On Feb 13, 2007
I went through most of the posts here and concluded that most of my friends are have sympathy for PDP, I dont know why anyone will want Yaradua to be Nigerian President if not as a stooge? Someone should tell me the contributions of Yaradua to national development, in terms of socio-economic development, what has he done in his state to warant his choice as the Presidential Candidate, as far I know the only achivement I know is that he introduced Sharia code in his State, may that will be his frst assignment as the president. I can tell you numerous contributions of Buhari to the nation, I think its unfortunate comapring the two. Buhari any day is better, Buhari will fight corruption according to the rules, OBJ will be covered by Yaradua Presidency you would have noticed that he cant even campaign himself except his master is there too bad for democracy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Watch How Senator Remi Tinubu Disrupts Senate Proceedings And Threatens Senators / Saraki Condemns Police Raid On Edwin Clark's Home, Calls For Probe Senate Presi / Can Buhari Change This Too? I Was Shocked By What I Saw! (viewers Discretion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.