Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,638 members, 7,820,236 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua (8572 Views)

Poll: WHich politician would you prefer as a presidential candidate?

Buhari: 53% (42 votes)
Yar'adua: 46% (36 votes)
This poll has ended

Buhari Extends Loot Recovery To Yar'adua, Obasanjo Era / President Jonathan Pays Homage To Yar'adua / Jonathan Pays N1billion In ‘Severance’ To Yar'adua Family - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Afam(m): 6:28pm On Feb 13, 2007
Yar'adua

On Sharia - Sharia was introduced in Katsina state through the House of Assembly and that is 100% in order as long as the people want it.

He stopped using government funds for pilgrimages to Mecca which is a good thing.

He is the only governor that has returned over N6B budget surplus when the other governors are busy squandering funds meant for the state.

Buhari

On religion - He clearly canvassed for moslems to support a mioslem candidate in a presidential election in Nigeria, not an ideal candidate for the presidency in a multi religious nation like Nigeria.

He backdated a decree just to justify the execution of 3 Nigerians that carried hard drugs even when the penalty wasn't death.

He overthrew a democratically elected government via a military coup (which translated into IBB, Abacha and Abdusalami eras), therefore he doea not deserve to benefit from an institution he does not believe in.

Conclusion

Based on what we know of these two men, Yar'adua is a far better product to market.

Theere is also nothing wrong for the president to follow him about in his campaign, it is normal.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by IykeD1(m): 1:14am On Feb 14, 2007
@omofineboy

What was Buhari's contribution to Nigeria? He fought corruption after a committing
a treasonous offense by overthrowing an elected government? Also if he was so
successful in fighting corruption, I wonder why Nigeria is still ranked as one of the
most corrupt places on earth. Let me guess - it was all OBJ's fault!
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by GNature(m): 1:25am On Feb 14, 2007
People,

Can't we find anyone other than ex-military heads of state to rule our country ? Why are people so bent on Buhari ? Don't we have better alternatives ?

Come on people, wake up.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Ndipe(m): 1:35am On Feb 14, 2007
@Iyke, abeg, give me an incorruptible military government over a corrupt, but 'democratically elected civilian regime'. I am surprised to read that some folks here are unaware that the second republic was marred by corruption (who remembers Dikko's infamous rice scandal that led to his botched kidnapping in London), election rigging (Awolowo was the presumed winner) and a period of decadence. Buhari tried in enforcing discipline in the country and weeding out the corrupt officials temporarily off the society. No, I dont support the death penalty, and Buhari is not perfect either.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Nobody: 1:58am On Feb 14, 2007
Asking us to choose between Buhari and Yaradua is like asking someone on death row to choose between death by lethal injection and the electric chair.

What is the difference?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Jakumo(m): 6:44am On Feb 14, 2007
Babyosisi the difference in the case of Buhari versus Yar Adua is that Yar Adua's qualities are largely unknown, while Buhari has PUBLICLY and REPEATEDLY proclaimed his desire to turn Nigeria into an Islamic fundamentalist sharia-brutalized rogue state, AND Buhari's record of random unjust jailing, secret execution and repressive decree imposition dates back to his evil reign as Nigeria's Maximum Leader in the 1980's.

So Nigeria's election day choice could better be likened to that death row prisoner being faced with the option of a possible reprieve, pardon and release ( Yar Adua ), as opposed to being skinned alive by wild dogs and then boiled in hot battery acid (Buhari).  I hope this clarifies the situation a bit.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Ndipe(m): 8:03am On Feb 14, 2007
@Jakumo, since you wrote that Yaradua's qualities are relatively unknown, your remarks that a prisoner may be "faced with the option of a possible reprieve, pardon and release' is flawed. You dont know him, neither are you aware of his policies as you have stated on this board. Who knows, he could be worse than Buhari, or better than him. Not that we are in a limbo over his character, but I am certain that there are other candidates, capable of ruling Nigerian, instead of those duo, that are publicly touted as 2 of the leading presidential candidates in Nigeria.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 10:52am On Feb 14, 2007
I went through most of the posts here and concluded that most of my friends are have sympathy for PDP,

I think you need to go through those postings again so as to get the messages. No one had ever said PDP is the best party because in this forum we dont believe in party politics but rather we stand for personality. If you check clearly this thread is about two personalities in the persons of BUHARI and YAR'ADUA from which anyone if free to make his or her choice. Remember your choice may not be at pal with mine because in live we either agree to disagree or disagree to agree.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Tornadoz(m): 10:58am On Feb 14, 2007
Buhari's problem was he never listened. He hated other peoples opinion except his own. He was a true dictator. I do however admit he was a strict disciplinarian, Nigeria's population is more than 100million. Having a president who believes one size fits all is the worst thing to happen to nigeria if elected. He was locking all and sundry in the 80s. Any one who see's things differently
from him.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by McKren(m): 12:31pm On Feb 14, 2007
I think Buhari even being a front runner says much about how we have refused to grow as a Nation. I am seriously not sympathetic to PDP but they are the only party pretending to do what is right. I simply dont understand why ANPP will present to the Nigerian people a man who ochestrated and executed the worst coup in our history as a Nation. I think his coup was the worst because he removed a democratically elected government an act which gave birth to the dark days of IBB and Abacha (they were all of the same clique within the army).

AC on the other hand, there is no better word to describe them than as Atiku Congregation (AC). A party whose sole aim is to enthrone Nigeria's symbol of fraud as the president of this Nation.

PDP may not be a great party but their candidate (Yaradua) is better of (than Atiku & Buhari put together) in the interest of this nation in terms of the quest for generational shift. Besides that I think Buhari having a second shut at the Presidency will leave him with no regrets for his past actions. That could also send a wrong message to present day military officers that they can get away with any trash they do to this nation.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by IykeD1(m): 12:40pm On Feb 14, 2007
@Ndipe

Incorruptible Military Government? What is that? It is a figment of the imagination.

For goodness sake, how long was Buhari in power? What meaningful development
plan did he leave behind? I submit to you all that if he had lasted for at least 4 years,
people would have seen a different side of this Buhari that you guys are now having
nostalgia for.

I know the Nigerian mind is dazed, but its about time we make a complete break from
having Generals rule Nigeria. By Nigerian standard, Buhari is not corrupt, and so is
Yar Adua, isn' that the one main quality we are looking for? Also, Yar Adua best Buhari
on level of education - I know degrees are not just enough, but,

I say it again if Obasanjo was able to checkmate all the people that put him in power
what makes anyone think that when Yar Adua becomes president he can't put OBJ
in his place he was to step out of line? If you are tired of having dictators as heads
of state, then its time we say bye to proven dictators.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Jakumo(m): 6:07am On Feb 15, 2007
Ndipe, even if my neighbor's pet chimpanzee, Senator Lagido, is put forward to contest the Nigerian presidential election against Buhari, I would join milions of other worried voters to elect that primate into office, if only to prevent the return to power of that blood-thirsty Taliban tyrant, Buhari.

In other words, ANY living creature, regardless of species and political antecedents, would be a preferable choice over Adolf Buhari as Nigeria's next president.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Ndipe(m): 9:07am On Feb 15, 2007
@Iyke, Murtala Muhammad, though adorned in mufti did not face any controversy over public money, even after his death. I have not read any negative article about him, since I was in Naija. So, I still maintain, there are other incorruptible military officers that can pull the country out of the abyss that it is currently in. Buhari tried, even though some of his policies were indeed controversial, but some of his high handed practises were established to prevent the country from treading towards anarchy that had engulfed it, in the 2nd republic. Like you, I had earlier queried if those two, Buhari and Yaradua were the only candidates capable of ruling nigeria.

@Jakumo. If Buhair gets elected and invited you to join his cabinet to serve the public, would you, out of total disdain for him and his policies turn him down?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Afam(m): 11:03am On Feb 15, 2007
Ndipe:

@Iyke, Murtala Muhammad, though adorned in mufti did not face any controversy over public money, even after his death. I have not read any negative article about him, since I was in Naija. So, I still maintain, there are other incorruptible military officers that can pull the country out of the abyss that it is currently in. Buhari tried, even though some of his policies were indeed controversial, but some of his high handed practises were established to prevent the country from treading towards anarchy that had engulfed it, in the 2nd republic. Like you, I had earlier queried if those two, Buhari and Yaradua were the only candidates that are capable of ruling nigeria.

@Jakumo. If Buhair gets elected and invited you to join his cabinet to serve the public, would you, out of total disdain for him and his policies turn him down?

The statement in bold refers, what is actually wrong with Yar'adua candidacy?

I believe those who think he is not the right candidate or even the best candidate based on the current party flag bearers should tell us why we should not vote for him.

Comparing Yar'adua with Buhari is not fair at all because they are world apart.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Jakumo(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2007
A ministerial position under any administration would be tempt me for sure, Ndipe.   

Maybe Buhari can let me serve as The Grand Ayatollah at the Ministry of Corporal Punishment and Women's Affairs, with broad latitude to randomly invite for questioning any young women deemed morally impure or undisciplined in dress and demeanor.  If called to duty for this post, I will work out of sheer patriotism and without accepting a salary.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by IykeD1(m): 10:10pm On Feb 15, 2007
@Ndipe,

Murtala is a Nigerian hero today because he was a honest and decent being, plus when he
came in, the country wasn't as bad as to have unleashed the beast within him. Having said
that, I doubt very much whether we will be celebrating Murtala the way we do today if his
term and life was not brutally halted by Dimka.

They all get off to a good start off well, but gradually they transition from being nationalistic
to being individualistic as they are answerable to no one but themselves. Dissent isn't just
encouraged in the military. Isn't it amazing that most of the junior officers that subsequently
formed IBB's government presided over the most corrupt era in Nigeria's history? May be not
to the level of IBB, but I doubt very much whether Buhari's government wouldn't have been
tainted had he stayed beyond 2 years.

For the first time Nigeria now has a chance to move from one elected head of state to another
and a real chance to make a break with the Generals. We will only have ourselves to blame
if we knowingly elect a General and start complaining in the future that he is a dictator. Haven't
we learned anything from the Obasanjo's experience? You can't sow a military dictator and expect
to reap a democrat!

There are lots of world leaders who rose to the occasion even with no prior experience of being
a head of state, why should Nigeria be any different? If we go with this thinking that because
Buhari has been tested but Yar Adua is not, and thus unqualifed as a result of that, then we might
as well put Obasanjo, IBB, Gowon, etc. on life support as we will need to rotate the presidency
among them for eternity.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Ndipe(m): 12:07pm On Feb 16, 2007
It appears to me that either you guys are in denial, or are not aware that Nigeria's descent into the muddled world of corruption occured in the 2nd republic, during the civilian era of Shagari. It is easy to destroy than to rebuild. True, IBB institutionalized corruption, but Shagari also should be blamed. Did any of you read a profile on Buhari and Idiagbon that Newswatch wrote after they were overthrown?

Some still keep bringing up this story that Buhari and Idiagbon overthrew a 'democratically elected government', even when the outcome of the election was a sham itself. Do some research further, the elections were rigged, Awolowo was the presumed winner. So, if you can accept the electoral malpractise that occured in the 2nd republic, then, why can't you accept the military coup of 1983?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2007

@Ndipe

Incorruptible Military Government? What is that? It is a figment of the imagination.

For goodness sake, how long was Buhari in power? What meaningful development
plan did he leave behind? I submit to you all that if he had lasted for at least 4 years,
people would have seen a different side of this Buhari that you guys are now having
nostalgia for.

I know the Nigerian mind is dazed, but its about time we make a complete break from
having Generals rule Nigeria. By Nigerian standard, Buhari is not corrupt, and so is
Yar Adua, isn' that the one main quality we are looking for? Also, Yar Adua best Buhari
on level of education - I know degrees are not just enough, but,

I say it again if Obasanjo was able to checkmate all the people that put him in power
what makes anyone think that when Yar Adua becomes president he can't put OBJ
in his place he was to step out of line? If you are tired of having dictators as heads
of state, then its time we say bye to proven dictators.

You have said it all brother
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 12:50pm On Feb 16, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears to me that either you guys are in denial, or are not aware that Nigeria's descent into the muddled world of corruption occured in the 2nd republic, during the civilian era of Shagari. It is easy to destroy than to rebuild. True, IBB institutionalized corruption, but Shagari also should be blamed. Did any of you read a profile on Buhari and Idiagbon that Newswatch wrote after they were overthrown?

Some still keep bringing up this story that Buhari and Idiagbon overthrew a 'democratically elected government', even when the outcome of the election was a shame itself. Do some research further, the elections were rigged, Awolowo was the presumed winner. So, if you can accept the electoral malpractise that occured in the 2nd republic, then, why can't you accept the military coup of 1983?

I think if we have chosen to embrace[b] D E M O C R A C Y [/b] as a nation we should also follow the rules that governs it. Shagari government was corrupt agreed but i also believe cutting off the head is not the solution to headache. There were constitutional means through which the situation could have been adressed rather that 1983 coup that brought Buhari to power. The little period the regim lasted was not bearable even for the press. some of them were jailed while some were sent on compulsory exile. There was nothing called FREEDOM OF SPEECH as we enjoy today. The only programme that government could boast of was W.A.I which was nothing but highhandedness in an organised setting. The fact still remains that it is logically immoral for Buhari to seek the mandate of the electorates to head a democratic government haven told Nigerians through the 1983 coup that he doesn't believe in it. The only thing Buhari should do now is to emmulate Abdusallam Abubakar by seeking peace all over Africa.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by IykeD1(m): 12:56pm On Feb 16, 2007
@Ndipe,

Corruption under military rulers in Nigeria is comparable to what it was under the civilian
governments. Those military regimes that we are trumpeting (Murtala and Buhari) may be
the better as far as the military goes, however, I still maintain that they did not last long
enough (at most 2 years) for one to really make an assessment of how effective they were.
Buhari's regime was known more for its draconian decrees covering all facet of Nigerian life
than its stance on corruption.

Its 2007, we can't be wishing for those "good old days" of the military. Yes, the Shagari
led civilian government was out of control, but the successive military interventions in the
country took Nigeria decades back - their corruption even put the Shagari's government
to shame. We have had enough of the Generals, we need civilians to govern us while
the military do what it was meant for - protect the country. You can't tell me the only threat
worth protecting against by the Nigerian army is its governance.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by osegwu(m): 11:45am On Feb 18, 2007
You do not compare Military rule with a civilian rule. A currupt Civlian Administration is better than a Military Junta. I am not a party Loyalist but I know that Yar'Adua is better than Brutal or Buhai , what is he called? He should go and settle is account at PTF

Still me
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 6:35am On Feb 19, 2007
osegwu:

You do not compare Military rule with a civilian rule. A currupt Civlian Administration is better than a Military Junta. I am not a party Loyalist but I know that Yar'Adua is better than Brutal or Buhai , what is he called? He should go and settle is account at PTF

Still me

Sure the military government is an aberation because soldiers rule through the barrels of gun and they do not have the mandate to rule over us. But civilian regimes like those of the dingy-haired, pot-bellied politicians of the second republic does not deserve to rule over us either especially the NPN controlled Federal government because they stole the mandate of the people.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 10:00pm On Feb 19, 2007
then let the people re-take their mandate, Buhari was not chosen by any people, he took the honor/dishonor all by himself, so he is no better in my opinion.

Buhari is as much a part of the problem as any other person, subverting the constitution as a military leader, killing people under retroactive laws, and so on, he should stick to his military retirement.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 11:50pm On Feb 19, 2007
That has become a thing of the past. We need to chart a new future for our country.  Let move forward. Here is thinking that you will be one of the brave peoples who will rise up against OBJ and his cohorts if they attempt to steal the people's mandate this time around.   (Recall "people power" that drove dictator Fidelis Marcos from power in Philipines)
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 12:05am On Feb 20, 2007
I will lend my voice to that cause anytime, be it Obj, Buhari or Atiku or anyone else that try to steal the mandate.

our future lies with choosing people who have a different orientation from these goons.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by belloti(m): 3:36pm On Feb 23, 2007
We all know our biggest problem in nigeria today is corruption and we certainly know that the best man to fight that corruption is buhari. So gentlemen, are we not misplacing our priorities by making insinuation about other flimpsy excuses despite knowing our only way out. Can anyone say sincerely that yaradua is not an extention of the present corrupt regime?
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Afam(m): 6:08pm On Feb 23, 2007
If our biggest problem is corruption then all well meaning Nigerians would support a man that has led a state for 8 years without any single charge of corruption, a man that returned a budget surplus of over N6B.

Why would Nigerians want someone that carried out a coup, sacked a civilian regime, execute Nigerians based on a backdated decree to rid the nation of corruption even when the person spent just 2 years?

This is neither logical nor helpful
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by debosky(m): 6:13pm On Feb 23, 2007
even the man's so called 'fighting of corruption' was largely attributed to his second in command idiagbon, whose brief absence from the country on hajj led to the lame duck buhari being removed. He has nothing to offer in my opinion, he is a military leader with contempt for democracy, we need to double minded mind changers here.

yar'adua has followed the democratic system for 8 years, he has not been corrupt, so he has positive antecedents. Buhari will simply lock up those he dislikes and free those he likes, just like he did in 84, we don't want that kind of leader.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by Abeem(m): 2:10am On Feb 28, 2007
debosky:

even the man's so called 'fighting of corruption' was largely attributed to his second in command idiagbon, whose brief absence from the country on hajj led to the lame duck buhari being removed.
Your assessment of Buhari is borne out of hate and prejudice for him. Or probably it was borne out of ignorance for the way the military government of that time operated. Buhari was de-facto head of state, but Idiagbon by virtue of his position as the Chief of Staff, Supreme Military Council (SMC) was saddled with executing the decisions reached by the SMC. Hence Idiagbon was perceived to wield enormous political power over the Head of State, but in truth he was only carrying out his executive functions and in reality he was subordinate to Buhari as Head of State.
The matter of regime change was destined to happen that way, and that it occured without bloodletting is something that should be viewed positively.

debosky:

yar'adua has followed the democratic system for 8 years, he has not been corrupt, so he has positive antecedents. Buhari will simply lock up those he dislikes and free those he likes, just like he did in 84, we don't want that kind of leader.
I can't even take your words for its face value given your are bias against Buhari because you are simply being economical with the truth. Or how could you reach that conclusion that with the democratic gains of the past eight years, somebody can just throw caution to the winds and start locking people up based on the reasons adduced by you.
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by belloti(m): 10:29am On Feb 28, 2007
Its obvious most of you hinges your distaste for buhari to is support for sharia in the north. Can you tell me any politician that can openly condemn sharia practice in northen states? Its not possible.
Buhari looks more like the kind of leader we want in our present day nigeria. Hard, Honest, Sincere, Determined and Principled. Yaradua is quite honest and sincere but he lacks that hard touch in him to implore authority and impose believe. Am sure, you know what i mean
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by McKren(m): 6:11pm On Feb 28, 2007
Yaradua is quite honest and sincere but he lacks that hard touch in him to implore authority and impose believe. Am sure, you know what i mean

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Buhari Is A Better Alternative To Yar'Adua by donnymikky(m): 11:15am On Mar 01, 2007
Yaradua is quite honest and sincere but he lacks that hard touch in him to implore authority and impose believe. Am sure, you know what i mean

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Please tell am again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Speaker: We’ll Report Jonathan To Ojukwu–apga / 15 Feared Killed In Fresh Fulani, Tiv Farmers Clash, Again! / Let's Focus On Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.