Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,064 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists (2305 Views)

8 Benefits Of Dating/marrying A Virgin [A Must Read For All Guys] / Why Were Nigerian Guys Scared Of Marrying Ladies That Own Cars In The Past? / Why Are Guys So Scared Of Dating Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 14, 2017
RaggedyAnn:

Sorry I'm replying you so late, dearie, I've been distracted since morning.

It is rare to see a female who would dare to question the norms. I know that sounds derogatory to our gender, but I mean it as a compliment to you. It takes guts to not take your brains for granted. And religion does require that we remain superficial and not aske too many questions. God works in mysterious ways! Just believe, have faith and essentially distrust your senses seem to be the answer for everything. I can understand its lack of appeal to the shrewder minds.

So, yes I do stand by what I said. It is used to tame people - domesticate them. Over the ages, religion has been used as a tool to turn an unkown group of people to predictable people for the purpose of domination. Give them rules to follow, a way of thinking, tell them they have no choice but to live by that code and you can get them to bend which ever way you'll have. A godless man, however, is above that code and owes allegiance only to his conscience. Read my signature - borrowed words from Frank Ocean. Similarly, people would go for God-fearing spouses because he/she owes allegiance to the Christian code. He/she is bound to stay in marriage because divorce is not permitted rather than out of love for his spouse. Because God - that unseen mystery is an idea greater than the world.

I don't want to ramble on, I hope you get me. I do not consider myself an atheist (I used to) my religion is love and I believe the philosophy of Christ is love. I believe in this sacrilegious statement - that the Bible is biased because it was written by men who had their personal agendas. Taking it in verses is a dangerous thing. If ever I were to consider myself a Christian, it would mean that I follow the teachings of Christ exclusively and that entails understanding his motivations. And in that, it would be evident that violence and being judgemental or ostentatious in righteousness wasn't his method at all.

You're right about the fact that organized religion has brought wars and intolerance but that's out of human vanity. It is out of a need to believe that we are the children of the true God while others are infidels. God doesn't need us to make his judgement for him but we do it anyway. If our belief in the afterlife is strong enough, why do we stress about visiting hell on unbelievers here on earth? I rambling. I'll stop. I do not think people who do not subscribe to the prevalent brand of Christianity are wicked or dark, that is a direct quote from the good book.

You have left me with more questions than answers cry

But I have to accept your right to choose and I will just smile and wave grin

Seriously though thank you for taking the time out to explain to me.
Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 14, 2017
Dimples182:

You have left me with more questions than answers cry

But I have to accept your right to choose and I will just smile and wave grin

Seriously though thank you for taking the time out to explain to me.

Hmmmmm, I feel so misunderstood right now.............The questions never end. Neither should they. After you have arrived at atheism, you ask yourself if you're here because the existence of a God, any God, is illogical in the order of the universe, or if it is because you do not support the God that man has made in his own imperfect image, or because you have no need for any god? If it is the former it opens the door to a discussion on metaphysics: just because you don't see it now, does not mean you will never see it. 'All that there is' is a combination of our perceived reality and 'all that there is not'. And our perception of reality becomes bigger with time as science becomes more astute, but everything that we discover through science was in existence from the beginning in a metaphysical spectrum. The questions never end. To get stuck in the belief of atheism is to turn it into another one of those things that human beings cannot be flexible about.

Or.......okay. I see your smile and wave.
Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 1:47am On May 15, 2017
RaggedyAnn:

Hmmmmm, I feel so misunderstood right now.............The questions never end. Neither should they. After you have arrived at atheism, you ask yourself if you're here because the existence of a God, any God, is illogical in the order of the universe, or if it is because you do not support the God that man has made in his own imperfect image, or because you have no need for any god? If it is the former it opens the door to a discussion on metaphysics: just because you don't see it now, does not mean you will never see it. 'All that there is' is a combination of our perceived reality and 'all that there is not'. And our perception of reality becomes bigger with time as science becomes more astute, but everything that we discover through science was in existence from the beginning in a metaphysical spectrum. The questions never end. To get stuck in the belief of atheism is to turn it into another one of those things that human beings cannot be flexible about.

Or.......okay. I see your smile and wave.

You are not misunderstood sis! I understand and appreciation. I was half asleep when I replied your last comment to me. I would say the later, I don't believe in the God that man has created in his imperfect image. I don't think atheism is a belief or a religion or way of life, it's just a title use to describe someone that doesn't believe in God. I smile and wave because this topic is long winded and I'm more verbal so writing down my thoughts isn't my strong point. I hope your weekend was fun and I wish you a successful week ahead!

Ps, you're my woman crush (no homo) kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 4:56am On May 15, 2017
Dimples182:

You are not misunderstood sis! I understand and appreciation. I was half asleep when I replied your last comment to me. I would say the later, I don't believe in the God that man has created in his imperfect image. I don't think atheism is a belief or a religion or way of life, it's just a title use to describe someone that doesn't believe in God. I smile and wave because this topic is long winded and I'm more verbal so writing down my thoughts isn't my strong point. I hope your weekend was fun and I wish you a successful week ahead!

Ps, you're my woman crush (no homo) kiss

Phew, Relief! You're so right about this being a long winded topic that begs constant clarification. I know there are still lingering misconceptions but this seems to be a good place to pause. It was important to me to make you understand that while I might not be an atheist, I do not subscribe to any of the conventional ideas of God either. Like I said before, you're a rare kind of girl, evolved and really smart, so your opinion matters to me. I respect what you're about.

My weekend was great, thank you. I wish you a happy week ahead too! kiss

And Ps, awwwwww......I'm flattered wink

Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Lsofdk(m): 9:24am On May 15, 2017
Dimples182:

Really sis! With all the bloodshed, discrimination, and hypocrisy, that religious people commit? If religion tames people then why are we witnessing all this dysfunction amongst religious countries and people?

It's really sad that you or your religion would describe people who don't follow the teachings as wickedness and darkness. Is it atheists that are condemning children under the terms of being a witch? Is it atheists that go to war (crusaders, jihadists ) and kill for what they believe and others reject?

I am an atheist and I am neither wicked nor evil. I am compassionate and I love without conditions.
I see y'all have been deprived of attention in the religion section. I knew we'll eventually arrive at these.

Do not console yourself with the concluding paragraph, In the end we're all humans with same or slightly different tendencies.
Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 9:54am On May 15, 2017
Mcowubaba:

No need for me to go back and forth with this argument.

This is clearly very simple..

Now, I'm not a Fan/worshipper of Buddha, why will I be interested in dating a Buddhist.

I'm not a Fan of worshiper of Allah, while should I go and start dating a Muslim, what I'm expecting undecided

Probably for her to leave her religious beliefs for mine, that's absolutely crazy and illogical.

You don't believe in God, you mock Jesus Christ and Christians, why on earth will you want to be in a serious Relationship with a Christian, so probably you can torment her life with your own idealogies and beliefs undecided
That's absolutely unacceptable and illogical...

You can't eat your cake and have it Sir.

. And note, Religious belief is not what you can easily take out or put aside in a serious relationship, unless you're talking about flirting or something else....

Just wish or hope that you meet a TRUE Christian (not a Church goer) who is ready to leave his/her religious beliefs for yours (2 in 200), I'm talking about based on Love, not materialistic things.

Some religious people can pretend or convert to a religious belief because of Financial or other gains.

Even some denominations in Christianity have serious problems in marrying a person from another denomination in the same CHRISTIANITY/Christian religion, and you are here talking about a Totally different and abstract Religion, Kilode undecided undecided
Abstract in the sense of an opposite of believing in God, any god

Catholics and Jéhovah witnesses never marry finish, na Atheist and Deeper life Church member wan marry undecided undecided

Please note, I don't regard myself as a Religious person... I'm just giving you an unbiased view of this topic.

I'm not interested in any arguments about the flaws in Christianity, or God, origin of Christian or other religion etc, which you may like to bring up...

That's not my business for the day, I'm not interested wink

You say Theist see Atheist as Gays or Lucifer, probably you overstretch that. But even at that, Atheist also see Theists as gullible, silly, confused, unintelligent, mumu, illogical etc.
So the dérogation/stereotype is MUTUAL cool

Why bother yourself with "Gullible people" undecided (what Atheist calls Theists) , there are millions of Atheist, go and find 1 and marry.
This thread is UNNECESSARY

on point

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Fmartin(m): 9:58am On May 15, 2017
because our children shouldn't be divided cheesy
Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by VERDA: 10:25am On May 15, 2017
ZarZar:
I don't fear atheists but my concern or curiosity would be, what do they use to guide their moral compass? God for most is like a supreme court judge they fear & that fear is what lassos them in from doing unthinkable things. So if a person doesn't have that, what do they have in place of that? I wouldn't wanna be with a swaggering, pompous A-hole that thinks he IS God, just like I wouldn't wanna be with some annoying, overtly religious Jesus freak. Just a guy that believes there is "something" bigger than them out, to keep that ego in check & also to serve as a moral code.

You have made very valid points but I have certain reservations about a supposedly loving nd compassionate God that is said to have given us freewill demanding we fear and obey him or face eternal misery in hell,I see here a glaring contradiction.
I also feel every human has God's essence in him/her hence an internal moral compass, we should not exist doing what is right just because if we don't,we will burn in hell, that's like giving someone an incentive to do what is right which means in the absence of said incentive said people become monsters,a believe I feel is flawed.
I feel to some extent the measure of one's spiritual growth is his/her ability to decern from our inner wisdom what is right at a given moment.i.e letting the goodness, compassion nd love flow out moment to moment, these are God's essence in us(God i feel is more intimately connected to us than we r aware of) , and not merely doing right cos we fear some sort of purnishment.
Sorry about my long epistle smiley.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by GiantParrot(m): 11:31am On May 15, 2017
ZarZar:
I don't fear atheists but my concern or curiosity would be, what do they use to guide their moral compass? God for most is like a supreme court judge they fear & that fear is what lassos them in from doing unthinkable things. So if a person doesn't have that, what do they have in place of that? I wouldn't wanna be with a swaggering, pompous A-hole that thinks he IS God, just like I wouldn't wanna be with some annoying, overtly religious Jesus freak. Just a guy that believes there is "something" bigger than them out, to keep that ego in check & also to serve as a moral code.

There is this quote from Albert Einstein:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death."

I believe it does a good job of articulating the basis for moral behaviour.

I'm sure most people will agree Nigerians are very religious. Well, the evidence available from our behaviours serve to prove that religion has very little bearing on morality. Where do I even start? Maybe it's fair to take a look at a few examples from your religious leaders and churches to pass across a point:

1. Your money seeking churches seem not to care about sources of their members' wealth. See this https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.nigerianmonitor.com/efcc-arrests-abuja-civil-servant-who-paid-n60m-tithe-to-redeemed-church/amp/
In view of the above, what moral compass would you say guides this church?

2. Your religious leaders are obscenely wealthy. They even have private jets, in a country as poor as Nigeria. It has even been said that one of them has 3 private jets. pray tell, What moral compass guides these leaders?

Since we're still on the moral compass issue, I'll ask: what is religion's position on slavery? You should examine your own religion before you answer.
I can tell you with confidence though that non religious persons guided by true concern about the human condition are making painstaking efforts towards the complete abolition of slavery.
Re: Why Are You Scared Of Dating/Marrying Atheists by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 15, 2017
RaggedyAnn:
On one level, 2Corinthians 6:14. Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership can righteousness have with wickedness? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?

But on another level, there is an unpredictability to unbelievers. Religion tames people, and keeps them in check.
True true. I'll be first to admit that I am quite unpredictable.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boy Exposes Girl Who Deliberately Infected Him With HIV... / Princess Bukola Woos Ooni Of Ife / Guys Can You Marry An Under-graduate That Truly Loves You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.