Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,387 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Yar'adua Breaks Silence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Breaks Silence (617 Views)

Tinubu Breaks Silence On Attacks On Fashola, Speaks On Relationship With Ex-lago / Presidency Breaks Silence On Patience Jonathan's Whereabout / Shehu Musa Yar'adua Entered Army 1959, How Did He Write Exam 1961 Na???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar'adua Breaks Silence by abt(m): 4:37am On Jan 12, 2010
Nigeria's president, who has not been seen since going into hospital in Saudi Arabia for heart treatment in November, has told the BBC he is recovering.

In his first interview since then, Umaru Yar'Adua said he hoped to make "tremendous progress" and to return to Nigeria to resume his duties.

Nigerian opposition parties have been demanding evidence about the true state of Mr Yar'Adua's health.

A rally has been called for Tuesday, mainly to protest over his absence.

There are three different court cases under way calling for power to be transferred to the Vice-President, Goodluck Jonathan.

Mr Yar'Adua is also known to have kidney problems.

'Save Nigeria'

Speaking by telephone, Mr Yar'Adua said he was making a good recovery.

"At the moment I am undergoing treatment, and I'm getting better from the treatment. I hope that very soon there will be tremendous progress, which will allow me to get back home," he said.

"I wish, at this stage, to thank all Nigerians for their prayers for my good health, and for their prayers for the nation."

Rumours had been rife that he was critically ill and unable to return to the presidency.

Under the banner Enough Is Enough, an organisation called the Save Nigeria Group called people on to the streets of the capital, Abuja.

There is a perceived danger of a power vacuum in a country which only saw the back of military rule just over 10 years ago, the BBC's Will Ross reports from the city.

The opposition plan is to march to the national assembly where senators are expected to be discussing the president's health.

Prominent opposition politicians and lawyers, Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka and the Biafran secessionist leader, Chief Emeka Ojukwu, will be among the demonstrators.

It is not clear if the demonstration will be well attended, our correspondent says.

Nigerians may be worried about their absent president but whether they will take time off to demonstrate is another matter, he adds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8453321.stm
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by hollandis(f): 4:57am On Jan 12, 2010
Told BBC,told CNN,Tox.when will you ever tell AIT ,NTA et al?
Stupid ,ugly,lifeless,sickdemented president.Disgracing all Nigerians

Why are the Hausas bent on disgracing us?
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by abt(m): 5:03am On Jan 12, 2010
hollandis:

Told BBC,told CNN,Tox.when will you ever tell AIT ,NTA et al?
silly ,ugly,lifeless,sickdemented president.Disgracing all Nigerians

Why are the Hausas bent on disgracing us?

good point! the Nigerian Media should also be well informed bout this. If he can talk to bbc why not NTA.
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by hollandis(f): 5:21am On Jan 12, 2010
If the man is not fit,he should be replaced ,impeached or should voluntarily resign
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by OAM4J: 5:38am On Jan 12, 2010
how are we sure, it was Yaradua that was behind the phone?

why was the call coming at the eve of the save Nigeria rally and NAS debate?

Somebody somewhere is fooling some people, but not me.
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by rasputinn(m): 6:09am On Jan 12, 2010
[img][/img]

Ghosts do speak afterall

Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by rasputinn(m): 6:43am On Jan 12, 2010
One day,just one day,all these charade will end,for the good to some(most Nigerians) and for the bad to some(Turai and the few hawks and parasites benefitting from this confusion and the inept administration of Yara selfish)

So "mr President" why not do the wise thing NOW,help yourself;resign and leave Aso Rock on foot so you don't leave in a box
Re: Yar'adua Breaks Silence by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 12, 2010
shocked I cant believ this. The man talkted to BBC? From where, how did they verify it was him talking? So we the people whose mandate he has doesn't desserve the same courtesy?

Anyway until I see him, I beleive nothing!

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Can Perform Presidential Duties, Says Court / I Am Ready To Die For A Cause I Believe In-bakare / Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.