Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14190 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 11:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

They were conned into it. . . .Civilization and reh reh reh.
I don't blame any Black Nation. . . . .These white lethargic devils poisoned our lands whilst siphoning a huge proportion of our natural resources.
There's no coup in Africa that does not have the blessings of Caucasians.

There would be no blessings if there were no active participants.

U can point a finger or two at the West but U should also be ready to reserve a full fist for most African leaders. We are [i]mostly [/i]the architect of our own problems.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Kobojunkie: 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2010
yeswecan:

@Kobojunkie  i think you took my words off context, i was only trying to say that we should stop looking up to  or believing in THE  west and find our path.  As far as i am concern the west are only working for their interest. Take China for instance, they founds their path and they are doing great. And yes Africans are designed to fail .  . . what do you say about the[b] Bantu Education Act of 1953 [/b] is that not failure in practice. If they can do that in the open when it was legal, it is safe to say it can be done indirectly now

I disagree!

If we put half the effort we put into celebrating mediocrity, in our society, into implementing 1/10th of what we have and see in the west in Nigeria alone, nigeria would be lightyears ahead of where it is today. so i still say this is not true. China did exactly what you claim it did not do. Go to shanghai and you will see it is almost a COPY of some american cities.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 11:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
otele:

hey hey mr cold, dont go there pls. i agree the haitians should have whatever money they can get but dont let urself be fooled into thinking the whiteman is nice. they'll have all the feel good about this aid but that's it. nothing more
I'm not maqin them out to be saints but i'm just sayin y shld they care abt the black man wen we don't giv two shakes of a duck's tail abt ourselves.

~Sauron~:

They were conned into it. . . .Civilization and reh reh reh.
I don't blame any Black Nation. . . . .These white lethargic devils poisoned our lands whilst siphoning a huge proportion of our natural resources.
There's no coup in that does not have the blessings of Caucasians.

Their objective is to sponsor a puppet Dictator with arms and cash and control the resources of such States.
Was Thatcher's son not arrested in for alleged involvement in a coup attempt?
That is the level these white bastards can stoop to make African children dig for food in refuse dumps.
So does this sum up the whole thread that we're inferior to white man
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by yeswecan(m): 11:14pm On Jan 15, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I disagree!

If we put half the effort we put into celebrating mediocrity, in our society, into implementing 1/10th of what we have and see in the west in Nigeria alone, nigeria would be lightyears ahead of where it is today. so i still say this is not true. China did exactly what you claim it did not do. Go to shanghai and you will see it is almost a COPY of some american cities.

I agree with you . . talking about the problem is not a way out of it .
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 11:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
Uche2nna:

There would be no blessings if there were no active participants.

One out of the 12 disciples of Jesus was corrupt.
U will always find bad eggs in any society - these bad eggs are the targets of the White race.

U can point a finger or two at the West but U should also be ready to reserve a full fist for most African leaders. We are [i]mostly[/i]the architect of our own problems.

I disagree.
We were doing fine in Africa before the Caucasians came over with their silly ideologies to change the Black race.
Look at how one single brainless idea turned Rwanda into a DEATH SPOT.
The Belgians divided a peaceful nation into the Tutsis n Hutus. Rwandans with fair complexion and remotely looking like Europeans were grouped as the Tutsis and the dark ones with ugly faces as the Hutus.

They fixed the Tutsis into high places in the Government and the Hutus were left to starve.
Now tell me, how sensible was that coming from those that were supposed to know better?
The West should be made to pay for their crimes in Africa and other 3rd world Nations.
Enough is enough!
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Jan 15, 2010
yeswecan:

I agree with you . . talking about the problem is not a way out of it .

No, That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying the problem has NOTHING To do with the west but the fact that we have YET To even apply any solution out there, not even those from the west, in solving our many problems. Yet we have so quickly condemned them all, especially Western solutions. Try to name Just one SOLUTION out there we have not only mentioned a possible solution but have actually IMPLEMENTED to the letter and then realized it was not for us, Just ONE. This is a CHALLENGE TO YOU!

China sent it's people out to western schools to get them educated so they could come back and replicate most of what they got in China. Singapore treaded the same path.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 11:26pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

U will always find bad eggs in any society - these bad eggs are the targets of the White race.

I disagree.
We were doing fine in Africa before the Caucasians came over with their silly ideologies to change the Black race.
Look at how one single brainless idea turned Rwanda into a DEATH SPOT.
The Belgians divided a peaceful nation into the Tutsis n Hutus. Rwandans with fair complexion and remotely looking like Europeans were grouped as the Tutsis and the dark ones with ugly faces as the Hutus.

They fixed the Tutsis into high places in the Government and the Hutus were left to starve.
Now tell me, how sensible was that coming from those that were supposed to know better?
The West should be made to pay for their crimes in Africa and other 3rd world Nations.
Enough is enough!

+1
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 11:35pm On Jan 15, 2010
~Sauron~:

And that justifies our complicity in whatever scheme u are accusing the white man of?  undecided

Either way U cut it, we will still be held responsible. Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice , shame on me.
If the white man has been that evil, why havent our leaders grown wiser to that?  undecided

For every Rwanda u point out, there are the Nigeria's , the Zimbabwe's et al to counter that argument.
There has to be something INHERENTLY wrong with us which makes it easy for the white man to be using us as puppets all these years.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
Uche2nna:

And that justifies our complicity in whatever scheme u are accusing the white man of?  undecided

Either way U cut it, we will still be held responsible. Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice , shame on me.
If the white man has been that evil, why havent our leaders grown wiser to that?  undecided

For every Rwanda u point out, there are the Nigeria's , the Zimbabwe's et al to counter that argument.
There has to be something INHERENTLY wrong with us which makes it easy for the white man to be using us as puppets all these years.
!!!

The answer is staring u in the face-
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cold(m): 11:44pm On Jan 15, 2010
Uche2nna:

[
/quote]

The answer is starring u in the face-THE BLACK RACE IS CURSED !!!
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Uche2nna:

And that justifies our complicity in whatever scheme u are accusing the white man of?  undecided

How so?
Every human being has got his/her own price, abeg.
These white folks shouldn't have extended their moronic colonization to Africa in the first place.
Africa was robbed, ra[i]p[/i]ed, defiled in the name of flexing muscles between UK, France, Belgium and em other Europeans.

If the white man has been that evil, why havent our leaders grown wiser to that?  undecided

They will never grow wiser cos we are talking about evil men with infinite resources and power.
How do you refuse such after being marginalised by the previous government, etc.
Which parts of Nigeria can America/UK approach now with revolution ideas and would refuse if £££/SSS are offered? NONE!!!

What did they achieve in Nigeria?
Europeans resorted to drawing straight lines on the map, taking little or no account of the myriad of traditional monarchies, chiefdoms and other African societies that were originally on ground. Can you honestly say you(Uchenna) and someone from Sokoto State have anything in common?

The Brits enclosed hundreds of diverse and independent groups, with no common history, culture, language or religion. Nigeria contain as many as 250 ethno-linguistic groups. Isn't that an epic FAILURE on it's own? As the haggling in Europe over African territories continued, the land and the people became mere pieces on a chess-board. Of course, this European rule was enforced both by treaty and conquest - so what could we have done to prevent the day-light robbery?

There has to be something INHERENTLY wrong with us to allow the white man to be using us as puppets all these years.

They had the money, the power and a big influence over Africans.
Of course, episodes of resistances occurred in some parts of Africa when these lethargic devils arrived but were settled with sharp, short actions.
Dozens of African rulers who resisted colonial rules were executed, died in battle or forced into exile after defeat.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 12:23am On Jan 16, 2010
Sauron - that's an excuse.

there were African empires such as the malian and kongolese empires that encompassed numerous ethnic groups.
creating homogeneous states would haven't solved Africa's problem. Aren't there multi-ethnic countries in eastern europe and Asia too?

you mean the billions of aid they pump into African countries yearly is not enough? Its not the west's fault that time and time again countries like Sri-lanka, burma, haiti etc embezzled aid funds.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Sauron1: 12:30am On Jan 16, 2010
bawomolo:

Sauron - that's an excuse.
there were African empires such as the malian and kongolese empires that encompassed numerous ethnic groups.
creating homogeneous states would haven't solved Africa's problem. 

Until now. . . .I wasn't aware Mali and Congo are developed countries. grin

Aren't there multi-ethnic countries in eastern europe and Asia too?

Multi-ethnic as many as Nigeria?
Christ on a bike. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

you mean the billions of aid they pump into African countries yearly is not enough? 

Billions of AID?
U mean the refund of the riches they stole from Africa in the first place?
I can sponsor your trip to come see the British Museum in London.
African artefacts make up 99% of what they have in there.

Its not the west's fault that time and time again countries like Sri-lanka, burma, haiti etc embezzled aid funds.

It is primarily their fault.
When you starve nations with ridiculous policies, they will become as corrupt as [i]f[/i]uck.
Africans were FINE before your slave drivers took matters into their hands. grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bluespice(f): 12:32am On Jan 16, 2010
have we degenerated to playing the blame game now?

then again, anything is better than trivializing the death of over 50,000 people
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 12:41am On Jan 16, 2010
~Sauron~:

Until now. . . .I wasn't aware Mali and Congo are developed countries. grin

you do realize the names mali and congo were adopted from ancient empires right?

Multi-ethnic as many as Nigeria?
Christ on a bike. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

of course not but they were still heterogeneous.

Billions of AID?
U mean the refund of the riches they stole from Africa in the first place?

I guess donor nations like Denmark and Norway stole from Africa too. yes Europe did pillage Africa but how long are you gonna hold this grudge?

It is primarily their fault.
When you starve nations with ridiculous policies, they will become as corrupt as [i]f[/i]uck.p

Its their fault and they are paying for it.

Africans were FINE before your slave drivers took matters into their hands. grin

Slavery existed in Africa before the evil bad white man came. Part of the reason Europe could conquer Africa was the infighting among Africans so African wasn't a paradise as you guys make it to be.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Ibime(m): 12:44am On Jan 16, 2010
See Nigerians discussing why Haiti is phucked up. . .  .hehehehe. . . meanwhile Haitians are wondering why Nigeria is phucked up. . . . whilst most Haitians are living on $2 a day, most of my Nigerian brothers are living on $1 a day.

Haiti is the only country in the world born from slave revolt. They have shown more balls for fighting oppression than any Nigerians have shown in their miserable life.

Y'all quit the chat and focus on Nigeria. . . . and if you live on more than $1 a day, kindly donate the excess to our Haitian brothers in need.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by TayoD1(m): 12:57am On Jan 16, 2010
@Ibime,

See Nigerians discussing why Haiti is phucked up. . . .hehehehe. . . meanwhile Haitians are wondering why Nigeria is phucked up. . . . whilst most Haitians are living on $2 a day, most of my Nigerian brothers are living on $1 a day.
Haba. How many Nigerians do you know that rely on and are sustained by baked clay? Isn't the little money they have a result of the benevolence of other nations? I believe Haiti is the biggest recipient of foreign aid the world over

Haiti is the only country in the world born from slave revolt. They have shown more balls for fighting oppression than any Nigerians have shown in their miserable life.
Which makes it more pathetic. This makes me ask the same question posed by Davidylan: "What is wrong with the Black African?" Could Haiti's problem be compounded by the fact that the average Haitian is heavily accented with a very low light-skin index? cheesy

Y'all quit the chat and focus on Nigeria. . . . and if you live on more than $1 a day, kindly donate the excess to our Haitian brothers in need.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 1:06am On Jan 16, 2010
Ibime:

See Nigerians discussing why Haiti is phucked up. . .  .hehehehe. . . meanwhile Haitians are wondering why Nigeria is phucked up. . . . whilst most Haitians are living on $2 a day, most of my Nigerian brothers are living on $1 a day.

Na wa oh. And they are eating mud cakes? Abeg make I start mud exporting business - it's more valuable than food. grin grin

The people who fought are long dead bro - and again, that is simply history. There are 3m homeless out of a population of 9m at the moment - that is a serious need that sshould be met as much as possible.

Nigeria isn't heaven, but I don't think you have 3m people in the country homeless sleeping under the elements without anyone to turn to.

There is a pressing need in Nigeria at the moment. No one is saying go repair Haiti's economy while leaving Nigeria. What we have said is that there must be a clear focus on contributing as much as possible to the relief efforts under way now for URGENT need.

The 'intellectual' argument however, is that we are neglecting Nigeria/Africa. I don't believe that is the case. We can always help more, but please the remittances of Africans to the homeland is far in excess of any $1 or $10 one off donation to an emergency relief effort.

The billions sent back annually BY AFRICANS probably exceed the annual aid budget sent to Africa. This steady stream sent to help bring succour to the continent cannot be ignored - this is wholly contrary to the claim by David that people care more about others instead of themselves - Africans are their brothers keepers. Some of our leaders might be more selfish, but the average African abroad sends significant portions of his income to Africa.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Ibime(m): 1:21am On Jan 16, 2010
Tayo-D:

@Ibime,
Haba. How many Nigerians do you know that rely on and are sustained by baked clay?

How many Haitians do you know that rely on and are sustained by eating leather (kpomo)?

If its edible, its edible.

Tayo-D:

Isn't the little money they have a result of the benevolence of other nations? I believe Haiti is the biggest recipient of foreign aid the world over

When Haiti became an Independent nation during Slavery, who do you think they were gonna export produce to? Were any European countries gonna buy goods from Haiti? Haiti has had to survive as an isolated nation from its inception and has never had the capital to build wealth unlike its Dominican counterpart who traded freely with the Spanish and Europe.

Tayo-D:

Which makes it more pathetic. This makes me ask the same question posed by Davidylan: "What is wrong with the Black African?" Could Haiti's problem be compounded by the fact that the average Haitian is heavily accented with a very low light-skin index? cheesy

Theres nothing wrong with the Black African. 3000 years ago, the White European was looking over at the Middle-East and saying "Look how civilised those motherphuckers are whilst we are here killing each other and living in serfdom. The white race must be cursed."

The Black race of today is exactly where the white race was before the industrial revolution. Everybody has their own time for development.

Even today, the American Indian race is looking at the Black race and saying "We must be cursed. Those black motherphuckers have their own countries, and we dont even have a single country to call our own. We have been made extinct in our own lands."

Evo Morales is the first indigenous Indian President of an Indian nation - 2005.

Jean-Jacques Dessalines of Haiti is the first black President of a black nation - 1804.

Who is leading?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cap28: 2:01am On Jan 16, 2010
debosky:

Na wa oh. And they are eating mud cakes? Abeg make I start mud exporting business - it's more valuable than food. grin grin

typical behaviour of the average black man who does not have the interest of his fellow black man at heart, this is where whites differ - when the 2005 tsunami killed thousands of british holiday makers all whites rallied to help THEIR people they werent bothered about any other nationalities just their own people, over £187m was raised, but here you are laughing at people who through no fault of their own have been reduced to eating mud in order to fend off starvation - what a shame >:

The people who fought are long dead bro - and again, that is simply history. There are 3m homeless out of a population of 9m at the moment - that is a serious need that sshould be met as much as possible.

this is why we continue to make mistakes because we do not know nor care about our history, yes the people who fought are dead but they will never be forgotten - had it not been for the likes of Toussaint Louverture and Jean Jacques Dessalines, Haitians would have remained slaves until well into the 20th century just like the other neigbouring carribean islands - they are now paying the price for their bravery .  As a matter of fact after Toussaint defeated the british and spanish Napoleon of France tried to broker a deal with the Haitian generals offering some of them freedom in exchange for re introducing slavery for the rest of the black population, Toussaint refused.

Nigeria isn't heaven, but I don't think you have 3m people in the country homeless sleeping under the elements without anyone to turn to.

No but what you have is a steady exodus of nigerians leaving the country to live as second class citizens in countries where we are despised and mistreated despite the fact that our own country is actually richer than most of the countries we have been forced to flee to.

anyway dont you think youre being a bit naive  to think that what is happening in Haiti could never happen in Nigeria in one form or another - do you seriously think that if there were to be a major catastrophe in nigeria those vagabonds in power would bat an eyelid when people would made destitute?

maybe you're too young to remember Maroko in lagos where poor residents were kicked off their ancestral land in order to make room for army generals who built themselves  an exclusive housing estate on the land leaving the unfortunate former residents to fend for themselves in the streets without monetary compensation.

Nigeria's situation is much worse than Haiti because it has oil and yet 70% of the population live below the poverty line.  Nigerians are being oppressed by a foreign power the same way  Haiti is being exploited and subjugated by a foreign power.

The 'intellectual' argument however, is that we are neglecting Nigeria/Africa. I don't believe that is the case. We can always help more, but please the remittances of Africans to the homeland is far in excess of any $1 or $10 one off donation to an emergency relief effort.

we shouldnt need to keep remitting money home when we are the 5th largest oil exporter in the world, our govts should be able to provide a decent standard of living for every man woman and child, just like Gaddafi has done in oil rich Libya.

The billions sent back annually BY AFRICANS probably exceed the annual aid budget sent to Africa. This steady stream sent to help bring succour to the continent cannot be ignored - this is wholly contrary to the claim by David that people care more about others instead of themselves - Africans are their brothers keepers. Some of our leaders might be more selfish, but the average African abroad sends significant portions of his income to Africa.

which aid budget to africa - aid to africa is a scam being run by foreign NGO's and various american banks this so called aid are actually LOANs with massive interest attached - this is a scam being run by the world bank and the IMF to keep africa poor and indebted forever - the IMF and world bank are currently trying to do the same thing to Greece and Iceland but the people of these countries have risen up en masse to state categorically that they will not repay these extortionate sums - this is modern day extortion and slavery, only when its being used against africans is it called aid and like the docile fools that we are we swallow the lie hook line and sinker.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MandingoII(m): 2:14am On Jan 16, 2010
Haiti DO NOT NEED African money.

You never help out in the past - you won't in the future.

Haiti the Country will fair much better than yours.

It will be transformed into an Island paradise. Haiti will have what your country never had.

[size=18pt]JOBS!!!!![/size]
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 2:27am On Jan 16, 2010
Mandigo , go and sleep
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Pifa: 3:27am On Jan 16, 2010
davidylan:

Haiti has no seismic monitoring stations . . . American scientists warned of this earthquake as far back as March 2008.

Dude,

This is exactly why I asked how much education you have had.

I know of no technology in this world that will predict the exact time, location and extent of an earthquake. Seismic monitors don't predict earthquakes; they record seismic activities that happen around the clock everywhere on earth.

I live in California. I've been here since I was a youth. I have never received any advance warning from CEMA (California Emergency Management Agency) of an impending earthquake before it happened. Everyone in California talks about the “Big One” all the time, but no one knows when or if it will come.

I’ve heard some scientists refer to the Haiti quake as the “Big One” everyone talks about. But none would give assurance that another “Big One” will not happen in California.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Pifa: 3:42am On Jan 16, 2010
@davidylan

Dude,

The casual manner in which you throw around seismic registers tells me that you have no comprehension of the severity of a 7.0 magnitude earthquake, not to talk of a 9.0. And obviously, since you've never lived through one, it's easy for you to direct disaster management activities from the comfort of your living room.

I live in California and I've been here since I was a youth. As a youth, I saw the devastation of the Loma Prieta earthquake and how it almost crippled the economy of the San Francisco Bay Area. I saw the ruins of the twin-deck Nimitz freeway in Oakland, whose total collapse effectively put an end to the double-stacked freeway design in California's engineering manual. Many were trapped underneath the Nimitz and many lost their lives.

Loma Prieta severely strained California and the state needed considerable federal assistance to emerge from the disaster. Yet, no country or state in this world was more practiced at earthquake preparedness than California.

Those of us who have had the misfortune of being caught in the “eye of the storm” never brand around 9.0 Richter with the callousness and ignorance you do. I can tell you with certainty that no CEMA (California Emergency Management Agency) official, prepared as the agency may be for the “big One”, is itching to show the world the efficacy of their preparedness for a 9.0 disaster in a real earthquake.

Your mighty UK, with its vaunted disaster preparedness as you would like us to believe, was virtually paralyzed for three days last January because of heavy snowfall. Yet, it was an amount of precipitation that would hardly raise an eyebrow in Chicago.

I choose my battles carefully and I often pick narrow areas of contention to debate. On the issue of seismic registers, I maintain that you are not informed enough to fully appreciate the seismic numbers you throw around naively. I certainly do not disagree with your comments about the need for Africans and blacks in general to start looking inward for solutions to their problems – you should read some of my posts on Nigeria's current predicament. But there is popular maxim that says, “When a man is down, you don't kick him in the groin.”

The world rose to help the victims of the SE Asia tsunami in 2004, just as the world rose to help the 1999 victims of the massive 7.6 earthquake in Turkey. The Turkey quake left well over 30000 dead and millions homeless. Turkey has a long history of massive quakes 7.0 and higher, and each time needed foreign assistance to pull through. Even Iran, a country that constantly vilifies the West accepts foreign aids when its active seismic landscape tremor.

Many SE Asia and Middle Eastern countries fall into the category of "aid recipients due to natural disaster". Haiti is not unique in that respect.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 4:15am On Jan 16, 2010
pix

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Omolulu(m): 4:18am On Jan 16, 2010
more pix

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MandingoII(m): 4:30am On Jan 16, 2010
The casual manner in which you throw around seismic registers tells me that you have no comprehension of the severity of a 7.0 magnitude earthquake, not to talk of a 9.0. And obviously, since you've never lived through one, it's easy for you to direct disaster management activities from the comfort of your living room.

I live in California and I've been here since I was a youth. As a youth, I saw the devastation of the Loma Prieta earthquake and how it almost crippled the economy of the San Francisco Bay Area. I saw the ruins of the twin-deck Nimitz freeway in Oakland, whose total collapse effectively put an end to the double-stacked freeway design in California's engineering manual. Many were trapped underneath the Nimitz and many lost their lives.

Loma Prieta severely strained California and the state needed considerable federal assistance to emerge from the disaster. Yet, no country or state in this world was more practiced at earthquake preparedness than California.

Those of us who have had the misfortune of being caught in the “eye of the storm” never brand around 9.0 Richter with the callousness and ignorance you do. I can tell you with certainty that no CEMA (California Emergency Management Agency) official, prepared as the agency may be for the “big One”, is itching to show the world the efficacy of their preparedness for a 9.0 disaster in a real earthquake.

Your mighty UK, with its vaunted disaster preparedness as you would like us to believe, was virtually paralyzed for three days last January because of heavy snowfall. Yet, it was an amount of precipitation that would hardly raise an eyebrow in Chicago.

I choose my battles carefully and I often pick narrow areas of contention to debate. On the issue of seismic registers, I maintain that you are not informed enough to fully appreciate the seismic numbers you throw around naively. I certainly do not disagree with your comments about the need for Africans and blacks in general to start looking inward for solutions to their problems – you should read some of my posts on Nigeria's current predicament. But there is popular maxim that says, [size=16pt]“When a man is down, you don't kick him in the groin.”
[/size]
The world rose to help the victims of the SE Asia tsunami in 2004, just as the world rose to help the 1999 victims of the massive 7.6 earthquake in Turkey. The Turkey quake left well over 30000 dead and millions homeless. Turkey has a long history of massive quakes 7.0 and higher, and each time needed foreign assistance to pull through. Even Iran, a country that constantly vilifies the West accepts foreign aids when its active seismic landscape tremor.

Many SE Asia and Middle Eastern countries fall into the category of "aid recipients due to natural disaster". Haiti is not unique in that respect.

THANK YOU.

Davidylan is BACKWARDS in his beliefs and thinking and DEVOID of facts. Just pure misinformed opinions.

He's a typical uneducated nigerian. And a mofo that won't do NOTHING for no-one but himself.

fugg him.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2010
poor david - guess hes been having too many skull sessions with james watsons

in some ways, the west bears some form of responsibility - they did prop all sorts of nasty leaders during the cold war - but they did that all over the world

Theres nothing wrong with the Black African. 3000 years ago, the White European was looking over at the Middle-East and saying "Look how civilised those motherphuckers are whilst we are here killing each other and living in serfdom. The white race must be cursed."

The Black race of today is exactly where the white race was before the industrial revolution. Everybody has their own time for development.

thank you.

what position are the nations that built the seven wonders of the world today?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cap28: 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2010
@davidylan one thing i have gathered from reading some of your articles is your sketchy "knowledge" of world history - i think you need to broaden your horizons and try reading more extensively perhaps you could start by reading a book by CLR James called the Black Jacobins - an account of the Haitian revolution - maybe that might help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Jacobins

I see that you have been completely brainwashed by a racist western education, your indoctrination into self hatred has also been exacerbated by the western media who has programmed you into beleiving that africans are an inferior race of people, i implore you to reeducate yourself before it is too late.

Here is an interesting article written by an american professor and social commentator Noam Chomsky:

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Chomsky/ChomskyOdonian_Haiti.html
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 16, 2010
here we go again:

How many Haitians do you know that rely on and are sustained by eating leather (kpomo)?

If its edible, its edible.

mud is edible?

Animal skin products

The term skin refers to the covering of a small animal, such as a sheep, goat (goatskin), pig, snake (snakeskin) etc or the young of a large animal.

The term hides or rawhide refers to the covering of a large adult animal such as a cow, buffalo, horse etc.

Skins and hides from different animals are used for clothing, bags and other consumer products, usually in the form of leather, but also furs.

Skin can also be cooked to make pork rind or cracklin. The skin on roasted chicken and turkey is another coveted delicacy.

wiki

Is everyone eating cow leg, pork rind and cow tongue doing so because of poverty? If you eat chicken, turkey and fish skin then you're the same as others who eat cow skin.

and is pomo not preferable to mud?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Kobojunkie: 6:08pm On Jan 16, 2010
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by cap28: 9:11pm On Jan 16, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Haiti Clay cakes

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/071108-clay-video-ap.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIEt3vsUHgY

hmm funny how your more interested in posting degrading images of Haitians rather than highlighting the atrocities committed against this country by america which induced such suffering, are you aware that innocent men women and children had bombs dropped on them while they were sleeping during xmas 2006 under the guise of "peace keeping operations" - none of this was ever published in the mainstream media and the journalist who recorded the images received death threats for doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjViOSGQUNs

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Policeman Quits After Obama Assassination Comments / Who's Greater - Mugabe (Who Took His Peoples Land Back) Or Mandela (Who Didn't) / Obama's Half Brother Runs For Election In Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.