Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14172 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by omitutu: 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2010
I do wonder IF Nigerians will be this sympathetic to our own if we had a disaster like this too.
This outpour really begs the question.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 6:54pm On Jan 14, 2010
David- We did ask for Donations for Katrina.
davidylan:

The Americans here make me laugh . . . i thought Bush and FEMA were at fault for Katrina? Why are you not holding the Haitian government responsible for neglecting their citizens? I wonder why you werent all soliciting for donations during Katrina.

We sheltered a Couple that had no where to go for 9 months.

I do what I can when I can, your pompus attitude when people are suffering baffles me.
What have u done except talk?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 14, 2010
omi tutu:

I do wonder IF Nigerians will be this sympathetic to our own if we had a disaster like this so.
This outpour really begs the question.

Dont mind them . . . 80% of Nigerians live below the poverty line. I guess they are waiting for an earthquake before they wake up to the reality that Nigeria is no better than Haiti afterall.

Hypocrites.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by SeanT21(f): 6:56pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Haiti has always been ruled by a corrupt dictatorship. It isnt about not having money . . . they get direct aid from the US government . . . where does it all go? building palaces while the people go without food?

Yeah we can all just donate more aid.

Yes but we can not let these people suffer b/c of their stupid government.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 6:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Dont mind them . . . 80% of Nigerians live below the poverty line. I guess they are waiting for an earthquake before they wake up to the reality that Nigeria is no better than Haiti afterall.

Hypocrites.

How many of us is working just to send money home? Please save your baseless argument!
Go Deep in South America, The Indies, see how people are suffering , but its never on TV.
You will see what you want to see David.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 6:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Hypocrites.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with helping and donating what they can but a lot of all these people might not bat a lid if this quake was home grown.
That's what boggles me.
Right now, if I have spare cash, I will donate to people who need it here. If someone in Naija needed surgery or something and it made front page on nl, they'll call it scam.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 6:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
SeanT21:

Yes but we can not let these people suffer b/c of their silly government.
Exactly . . Arrogance over Human Lives?  Seriously?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 7:01pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with helping and donating what they can but a lot of all these people might not bat a lid if this quake was home grown.
That's what boggles me.
Right now, if I have spare cash, I will donate to people who need it here. If someone in Naija needed surgery or something and it made front page on nl, they'll call it scam.

Real people help their own and others undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 7:02pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

Real people help their own and others undecided

Real people can afford to help one at a time. Real people will choose that close to home. Real people are not hypocrites who donate for international recognition or whatever kind recognition they so crave. smiley
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 7:02pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

Hypocrites.

@ David,

Ur questioning about the black race is valid but u chose a rather inopportune time to express it.

What the homeless and the hungry in Haiti needs now "is not a thesis on why the black race is inferior" but help in the form of cash, medicine , food and personnel.
Besides, its not mandatory. Its all voluntary.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by SeanT21(f): 7:05pm On Jan 14, 2010
@ Plat

Don't U live in Lousiana?? How did U manage with Katrina
?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Pifa: 7:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

If UK experienced an 8.0 earthquake, they WILL survive WITHOUT aid because as a society they are well prepared to deal with such.

@davidylan

Obviously, you have absolutely no idea what a magnitude 8.0 earthquake is. An 8.0 will release 30 times more energy than the 7.0 in Haiti released. If the epicenter is close to the surface, and to a densely-populated area such as London, the resulting devastation and loss of life will be unimaginable. And yes, the UK will need the help of its EU neighbors to pull out of such a disaster.

Even in earthquake-experienced California, where buildings are designed to strict seismic codes, an 8.0 will overwhelm the state's capacity to cope.

How much education have you had, davidylan?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Real people can afford to help one at a time. Real people will choose that close to home. Real people are not hypocrites who donate for international recognition or whatever kind recognition they so crave. smiley

One at a time? How about more that one?  undecided Isnt it about the help? So when churchs give to mission trips for international countries less fortunate  thats also for recognition?  undecided I dont see it.

SeanT21:

@ Plat

Don't U live in Lousiana?? How did U manage with Katrina
?

Katrina was horrible . . my sister lived in New Orleans at that time, and it took her 18 hours to come home which is 45 mins away.
Many people we knew passed, and most Nigerians we knew that lived there Lost everything.
Sigh . . the stories my mom told me when she was volunteering at the hospital was frightening, .  
Most of the nigerians in our city came together and helped Nigerians displaced from  Katrina find new places to live.
The people who were staying with us had the cutest set of twins  smiley
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 7:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
Pifa:

@davidylan

Obviously, you have absolutely no idea what a magnitude 8.0 earthquake is. An 8.0 will release 30 times more energy than the 7.0 in Haiti released. If the epicenter is close to the surface, and to a densely-populated area such as London, the resulting devastation and loss of life will be unimaginable. And yes, the UK will need the help of its EU neighbors to pull out of such a disaster.

Even in earthquake-experienced California, where buildings are designed to strict seismic codes, an 8.0 will overwhelm the state's capacity to cope.

dont mind the way they try to justify themselves. . lipsrsealed
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by SeanT21(f): 7:20pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

One at a time? How about more that one? undecided Isnt it about the help? So when churchs give to mission trips for international countries less fortunate thats also for recognition? undecided I dont see it.
Katrina was horrible . . my sister lived in New Orleans at that time, and it took her 18 hours to come home which is 45 mins away.
Many people we knew passed, and most Nigerians we knew that lived there Lost everything.
Sigh . . the stories my mom told me when she was volunteering at the hospital was frightening, .
Most of the nigerians in our city came together and helped Nigerians displaced from Katrina find new places to live.
The people who were staying with us had the cutest set of twins smiley

That was very nice. Nigerians looking after one another wink
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Redman44(m): 7:21pm On Jan 14, 2010
I agree with daviddylan's  arguments absolutely. Haiti has been governed by despots over the years. Haitian rulers lived flamboyantly while citizens of the country suffered. It seems the black man is averse to development. While I'm not against people giving money and other forms of assistance to Haiti, I feel it is high time the black race starts sorting  its problems out. The Asians have started asserting themselves industrially and are beginning to get the respect of the Western nations. Peeps should try and read Matthew Ashimolowo's book about the black race. What is really wrong with us? A good example of how it seems we blacks are averse to development is the case of the IITA [ International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ] in Ibadan, Oyo State. While Ibadan is still much undeveloped, this institute is becoming an advanced community in the Oyo State capital. Everything is working at IITA and you'll be forced to believe you're in Europe when you walk into IITA. The place was developed and maintained by whites. Outside the walls of IITA, there is chaos, filth, poverty and craas underdevelopment. God help us.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Kilode1: 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
@ All,
David and the other guys bringing up the issue of race, bad leadership E.T.C are right. and I'll add that the time is perfectly fine to raise such issues. It may be uncomfortable but it is necessary IMO.

Black Africans, We need to examine ourselves, ask those questions and seek for answers. BUT that shouldn't stop anyone from donating to help Haitians. Go to yele.org or Redcross and offer what you have. but keep talking, keep asking. keep thinking, we need to find solution to these problems. another earthquake, hungerache and poverty ache is coming soon and black people are still selling themselves short.

Some fools are stealing money meant for hospitals, schools and roads in Nigeria as I type. Donating to help while asking why Black people are so messed up shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 7:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
Redman44:

I agree with daviddylan's  arguments absolutely. Haiti has been governed by despots over the years. Haitian rulers lived flamboyantly while citizens of the country suffered. It seems the black man is averse to development. While I'm not against people giving money and other forms of assistance to Haiti, I feel it is high time the black race starts sorting  its problems out. The Asians have started asserting themselves industrially and are beginning to get the respect of the Western nations. Peeps should try and read Matthew Ashimolowo's book about the black race. What is really wrong with us? A good example of how it seems we blacks are averse to development is the case of the IITA [ International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ] in Ibadan, Oyo State. While Ibadan is still much undeveloped, this institute is becoming an advanced community in the Oyo State capital. Everything is working at IITA and you'll be forced to believe you're in Europe when you walk into IITA. The place was developed and maintained by whites. Outside the walls of IITA, there is chaos, filth, poverty and craas underdevelopment. God help us.

Reddman, points are valid. The impression we portray of ourselves as a race is nothing to write home about. U can speculate from here to Golgotha on what is wrong, where and when. That should be a discourse for another day. Or better , open up a thread for that.

This thread is mainly for raising support for Haitians (and other nationals living in Haiti) to help them thru this natural disaster.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Outstrip(f): 7:32pm On Jan 14, 2010
Davidylan you can go make your point on the thread about the earthquake in Haiti. This is one where we post ways to contribute or help out. At the poster who lost a loved one I am sorry for your loss. I know you guys loved him but God loves him more. Take heart
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Don4life: 7:38pm On Jan 14, 2010
:p
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Don4life: 7:39pm On Jan 14, 2010
help nairaland

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 14, 2010
Outstrip:

Davidylan you can go make your point on the thread about the earthquake in Haiti. This is one where we post ways to contribute or help out. At the poster who lost a loved one I am sorry for your loss. I know you guys loved him but God loves him more. Take heart

You people are so lost in your own self-importance that you still dont get it. How many times have Nigerians needed relief and you failed woefully to provide it? How many of you hiding in foreign countries are donating to Red Cross organisations IN NIGERIA?

Where were you during the Boko Haram crisis or you think only Haitians need help?

Pifa:

@davidylan

I wager i have more than you can ever aspire to. Its best you dont go there.

I can bet you that America is fully prepared for a 9.0 earthquake to strike California should it happen. Here, leaders are not despots who build palaces while the people suffer and essential services go unprovided for. Its ok for the black race to ignore its responsibilities . . . when we need help we can just call on oxfam. We should be ashamed of our selves.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
Redman44:

You're preaching to hypocrites bro . . . they are too busy donating to Haiti that they forget the rest of black africa is only one earthquake away from being another basket case. Perhaps we should set up helplines asking for donations to help Somalia . . . they've had no government since 1991. I guess since the rest of the western world dont care we can all pretend not to care too. All hands on deck for Haiti!

Haitians were no much better than before the earthquake? Where were the donations peeps?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

You're preaching to hypocrites bro . . . they are too busy donating to Haiti that they forget the rest of black africa is only one earthquake away from being another basket case. Perhaps we should set up helplines asking for donations to help Somalia . . . they've had no government since 1991. I guess since the rest of the western world dont care we can all pretend not to care too. All hands on deck for Haiti!

Haitians were no much better than before the earthquake? Where were the donations peeps?

Please Stuff it David. You are just talking, saying help this, what have u actually done in Nigeria or other places? N

Say what you want- create your own thread.
And were they better off before the Earthquake? Yes. A whole school crumbled and killed 11 classmates instantly. We should fold our hands to dig out the others?

whether you want to face it or not the United states recieved assistance from outside sources . .
The same ones folding their hands about who to donate never does angry
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 7:59pm On Jan 14, 2010
Uche2nna:

@ David,

your questioning about the black race is valid but u chose a rather inopportune time to express it.

What the homeless and the hungry in Haiti needs now "is not a thesis on why the black race is inferior" but help in the form of cash, medicine , food and personnel.
Besides, its not mandatory. Its all voluntary.

Precisely.

This is not about how prepared other nations are, it is not about how poorly they have prepared. It is about the current need and how to meet that.

When people are dying you carry out first aid - talk of what caused the problems are left for later.

What you are doing can be likened to standing in front of a burning house and saying 'the owners should have bought sprinklers' and allowing them to die. The focus should be preservation of human life first and foremost before your pontification.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2010
debosky:

Precisely.

This is not about how prepared other nations are, it is not about how poorly they have prepared. It is about the current need and how to meet that.

When people are dying you carry out first aid - talk of what caused the problems are left for later.

What you are doing can be likened to standing in front of a burning house and saying 'the owners should have bought sprinklers' and allowing them to die. The focus should be preservation of human life first and foremost before your pontification.
^^ thank you Debo- you talk sense.  smiley
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Allta(m): 8:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

So what would you rather the international response be to Haiti right now? fold their arms and watch poor people continue to die because their bad leadership before the earthquake? Sorry, i'm really trying to see how your perspective can help situations on ground, or should it have been a case of poor countries helping poor countries? and rich countries helping rich countries? or rather black nations helping black nations and white nations helping white nations?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

You're preaching to hypocrites bro . . . they are too busy donating to Haiti that they forget the rest of black africa is only one earthquake away from being another basket case.

So because Africa is one earthquake AWAY from being a basket case the Haitians suffering RIGHT NOW should be left to die? What type of reasoning is this?

Perhaps we should set up helplines asking for donations to help Somalia . . . they've had no government since 1991. I guess since the rest of the western world dont care we can all pretend not to care too. All hands on deck for Haiti!

You can keep making a purely intellectual argument if you wish - that has its place but this is about rendering URGENT help now to save lives.

Rubbish - were the same number of people homeless? Do you know how many have died and will be homeless for years as a result of this one incident? With death tolls likely topping 100,000 due to an event of ONE DAY how can you reasonably compare that to anything else that has happened in the life of that country?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by manmustwac(m): 8:13pm On Jan 14, 2010
@post
i ususally donate 10 pounds a month to the red cross and yesterday i got a call from them about Haiti and donated 20 pounds with my debit card. smiley So i've done my bit to help them. wink
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 8:22pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

You're preaching to hypocrites bro . . . they are too busy donating to Haiti that they forget the rest of black africa is only one earthquake away from being another basket case[b]. Perhaps we should set up helplines asking for donations to help Somalia . . . they've had no government since 1991.[/b] I guess since the rest of the western world dont care we can all pretend not to care too. All hands on deck for Haiti!

I really dont want this to turn into a purely intellectual exercise that leads to nothing. So let me address the Somalia issue this way:

If U think that Somalia is not getting enough international support, instead of expending energy in showing us how hypocritical and egotistical we all are, why dont u channel some of that energy into creating awareness for Somalia's needs. That would be more purposeful than just making a mere mention of Somalia in a post on NL. Support for Haiti was not inititated by hydra headed monsters from Mars but by concerned individuals who decided to do something. Doing the same for Somalia wont hurt.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by debosky(m): 8:24pm On Jan 14, 2010
I wonder when all this self-righteous requests for "aid" will end and we start asking nations to stand up and take responsibility for their own. I for one see no reason why Haiti has such a beautiful presidential "palace" but has only one hospital with no facilities, no electricity, no food, no roads, no emergency services.

Ok - so your intellectually superior 'asking' nations to stand up - will that save the people dying right now? There is a time for everything - people need help now and that should be the rational focus of people.

You can keep donating if you wish . . . i will save my money for those who truly deserve it. If that makes me wicked then so be it.

That is your prerogative. The 5 year old Haitian girl who might die without aid today  is not deserving, after all she is the one who didn't stand up to ask the nation to take responsibility. The helpless children who might die of disease should be left to die - after all, they are also culpable for the lack of hospitals and schools.

Members of the negroid race have to stand up and decide they will NO LONGER be the scourge of the earth anymore. I get sick watching TV and seeing blacks being the ones everyone has to feed.

Oh you need to 'stand up' - and by that don't give aid to people dying - take the intellectual high ground with superior 'analysis' of the problem without dealing with the urgent need at hand, that is obviously the essence of existence.

Sorry for your 'sickness' - the pain you feel is clearly superior to the suffering of people who woke up to find everything they had destroyed in a moment.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please donate if you can - nothing is too little and nothing is too great.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pistorious Arrested For Shooting Girlfriend Dead / Policeman Quits After Obama Assassination Comments / Who's Greater - Mugabe (Who Took His Peoples Land Back) Or Mandela (Who Didn't)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.