Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,073 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:02 PM

Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti (14165 Views)

Boston Heaves A Sigh Of Relief As Bomb Suspect Is Arrested, Suspect In Critical / Haiti Joins African Union / I Can Breathe A Sigh Of Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by H2O2: 8:27pm On Jan 14, 2010
lol david didnt eat his wheaties today
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by delegiwa(m): 8:34pm On Jan 14, 2010
@David,

I am a fellow black man like you that understands how u feel, but I suggest we discuss this another time and see how we can help our "brothers and sisters" in Haiti please.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by chiogo(f): 8:40pm On Jan 14, 2010
I agree with Davidylan obviously - Nigeria is also in a horrible, horrible situation but this isn't the right time for that argument.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 8:40pm On Jan 14, 2010
For but.t sake, this isnt about Nigeria now is it?
We are talking about Haiti. . . . . angry
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 8:43pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

One at a time? How about more that one?  undecided Isnt it about the help? So when churchs give to mission trips for international countries less fortunate  thats also for recognition?  undecided I dont see it.

Madam, some can only afford one at a time. What's your point here?
We are not all Americana big wigs like you. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 8:49pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Madam, some can only afford one at a time. What's your point here?
We are not all Americana big wigs like you. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

You're seeing it from a different side, it is not what I meant.
Take for instance Josh surgery- How many people[b] in 9ja [/b] actually tried to help.
Please dont make me laugh.

Thank you Debo.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Divinechoc(f): 8:50pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

Exactly . . Arrogance over Human Lives?  Seriously?

As in!! Nawa o, ignorance never seize to amaze me,
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by delegiwa(m): 8:51pm On Jan 14, 2010
Pls where is Osisi? Has she gone to Haiti?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 8:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

You're seeing it from a different side, it is not what I meant.
[size=20pt]Take for instance Josh surgery- How many people[b] in 9ja [/b] actually tried to help. [/size]
Please dont make me laugh.

My point exactly!!! Either you are deliberately misunderstanding my initial point or you just want to talk. undecided
I could see many volunteering and offering their finance and services on this thread yet when other pressing issues such as these come up with their own fellow Nigerians, the face the other way.
Which is why I said they must need some sort of international recognition if they are willing to help now but can't help Nigerians.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

My point exactly!!! Either you are deliberately misunderstanding my initial point or you just want to talk. undecided
I could see many volunteering and offering their finance and services on this thread yet when other pressing issues such as these come up with their own fellow Nigerians, the face the other way.
Which is why I said they must need some sort of international recognition if they are willing to help now but can't help Nigerians.

Any form of help rendered to anybody (race, creed, sect etc) is still help. So because Nigerians dont help Nigerians (according to U ooooo undecided) is enuff reason to discourage any help going the way of people that has been hit by natural disaster? undecided

International recognition? How is texting "Haiti" to 90999 seeking international recognition? undecided What kind of recognition do u expect to get from that? undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by H2O2: 9:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
lmao some nigerians and their myopic approach to issues
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 9:08pm On Jan 14, 2010
Uche2nna:

Any form of help rendered to anybody (race, creed, sect etc) is still help. So because Nigerians dont help Nigerians (according to U ooooo undecided) is enuff reason to discourage any help going the way of people that has been hit by natural disaster?  undecided

International recognition? How is texting "Haiti" to 90999  seeking international recognition?  undecided What kind of recognition do u expect to get from that?  undecided

spikedcylinder:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with helping and donating what they can but a lot of all these people might not bat a lid if this quake was home grown.
That's what boggles me.
Right now, if I have spare cash, I will donate to people who need it here. If someone in Naija needed surgery or something and it made front page on nl, they'll call it scam.

I assume you didn't go through the entire thread that's why you made that post. Next time, be absolutely sure you've covered your bases before making wild, baseless statements.
Thank you.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 9:11pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

The majority of people on this thread lives abroad . I just checked. One cannot force one to give to another.
If they feel moved to give , who are we to pronounce judgements?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 9:14pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

I was responding SPECIFICALLY to that post.

U probably need ur own advice more than I do. Next time make sure u know how much Nigerians help other Nigerians before u make ur contribution. Thanks.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by chelseabmw(m): 9:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
$5 is how much in naira?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 9:17pm On Jan 14, 2010
H2O2:

I tire. . . . grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2010
Uche2nna:

I was responding SPECIFICALLY to that post.

U probably need your own advice more than I do. Next time make sure u know how much Nigerians help other Nigerians before u make your contribution. Thanks.

I've seen the responses here when it comes to helping Nigerians. Refer to the thread the Josh thread. Plat was even banned for it.
You still need the advice way more than I ever will.undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 9:20pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

I've seen the responses here when it comes to helping Nigerians. Refer to the thread the Josh thread. Plat was even banned for it.
You still need the advice way more than I ever will.:-\ undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

LOL

Okay, Sis, Nothing do U. Thanks for the advice.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 9:21pm On Jan 14, 2010
platinumnk:

The majority of people on this thread lives abroad . I just checked. One cannot force one to give to another.
If they feel moved to give , who are we to pronounce judgements?

I am not passing judgement on anyone. I made my observation and was willing to move on. wink

H2O2:

Aki, how much have you donated. You're here making noise. angry
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2010
spikedcylinder:

I am not passing judgement on anyone. I made my observation and was willing to move on. wink

Aki, how much have you donated. You're here making noise. angry

Hopefully those in Nigeria who are willing to donate will open their eyes to our own plight as well undecided
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by delegiwa(m): 9:31pm On Jan 14, 2010
Just like everything Naija, we've succeeded in moving away from the main issue - helping Haitians, to non-issues - race, govt, naija help naija or not.

Can we focus here?
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by asha80(m): 9:33pm On Jan 14, 2010
Yahoo boys will cash in on this.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 9:36pm On Jan 14, 2010
Mods should clean the thead.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by MrCrackles(m): 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2010
delegiwa:

Just like everything Naija, we've succeeded in moving away from the main issue - helping Haitians, to non-issues - race, govt, naija help naija or not.

Can we focus here?
Thank you. . . I pointed it out earlier. . .
This shitzo is all about Haiti and the much needed help getting to them not some silly a/s/s irrelevancies and petty gobblydygooks!!!
Pssf
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Uche2nna(m): 9:39pm On Jan 14, 2010
MrCrackles:

Thank you. . . I pointed it out earlier. . .
This shitzo is all about Haiti and the much needed help getting to them not some silly behind irrelevancies and petty gobblydygooks!!!
Pssf

Yeah, I got a cupful of spiked advice for ma troubles grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by H2O2: 9:41pm On Jan 14, 2010
Yeah mods, please efface the divergent posts.
The mission is to save lives, not apportion blames.

It's no secret that Haiti is severly impoverished and those dying people need all the help they can get in the wake of this disaster.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 14, 2010
debosky:

Rubbish - were the same number of people homeless? Do you know how many have died and will be homeless for years as a result of this one incident? With death tolls likely topping 100,000 due to an event of ONE DAY how can you reasonably compare that to anything else that has happened in the life of that country?

that basically makes no sense. So we should wait until we have thousands homeless before we respond to situations? Or is it because Haiti is now on television everyone is now hyperventilating?
Do you know how many have died existing on mud cake diets and were homeless BEFORE the earthquake? Do you only care for earthquake victims? How many of you could pick out Haiti on the world map last week?

How many of you knew that 40% of Haiti's economy depends on foreign aid from the US? How many of you are aware that Haiti is 149th out of 182 nations on the UN HDI?

You all waited until now to send aid to Haiti?

This was as far back as 2008 - Starving people in Haiti eating mud

But i bet you all didnt care then. The whites are now doing something about Haiti now you all pretend to care.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by onijogbon(m): 9:58pm On Jan 14, 2010
davidylan:

You people are so lost in your own self-importance that you still dont get it. How many times have Nigerians needed relief and you failed woefully to provide it? How many of you hiding in foreign countries are donating to Red Cross organisations IN NIGERIA?

Where were you during the Boko Haram crisis or you think only Haitians need help?

I wager i have more than you can ever aspire to. Its best you dont go there.

I can bet you that America is fully prepared for a 9.0 earthquake to strike California should it happen. Here, leaders are not despots who build palaces while the people suffer and essential services go unprovided for. Its ok for the black race to ignore its responsibilities . . . when we need help we can just call on oxfam. We should be ashamed of our selves.

Redman44:

I agree with daviddylan's  arguments absolutely. Haiti has been governed by despots over the years. Haitian rulers lived flamboyantly while citizens of the country suffered. It seems the black man is averse to development. While I'm not against people giving money and other forms of assistance to Haiti, I feel it is high time the black race starts sorting  its problems out. The Asians have started asserting themselves industrially and are beginning to get the respect of the Western nations. Peeps should try and read Matthew Ashimolowo's book about the black race. What is really wrong with us? A good example of how it seems we blacks are averse to development is the case of the IITA [ International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ] in Ibadan, Oyo State. While Ibadan is still much undeveloped, this institute is becoming an advanced community in the Oyo State capital. Everything is working at IITA and you'll be forced to believe you're in Europe when you walk into IITA. The place was developed and maintained by whites. Outside the walls of IITA, there is chaos, filth, poverty and craas underdevelopment. God help us.

excellent points! the only rational thinking people on this thread!

leave them make dem dey let their emotions cloud their ability to see the whole picture.

all of a sudden, all of dem don turn to mother theresa over night because of haiti's unfortunate but preventable catastrophic event.

eyan dudu! na we be our own enemies!  
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by platinumnk(f): 10:03pm On Jan 14, 2010
David- What have u done before and after the earthquake?

What have you done for  Nigeria?

Who wouldnt know where Haiti is? Who doesnt know the plight of the refugees?

So sending money is pretending to care? Where did you land this morning?  

Funny how the people yarning dust are the ones who fold their hands to Nigeria and every other situation.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
Divinechoc:

As in!! Nawa o, ignorance never seize to amaze me,

Take a look at the grammatical errors in this sentence and then come back to accuse others of "ignorance".

@ topic . . . virtually ALL those who live in the US at least will be making this donations TAX DEDUCTIBLE . . . so in essence you really are not donating anything since the government will pay you back every dime when its tax time next yr. So what is the point of all these faux noise about "helping" Haiti?

The US government alone is donating $100m to relief efforts . . . what will your meager $10 do?

Nigeria is a billboard for daily man-made disasters . . . i guess its just easier to sit in your comfy chairs in the US dialing blah blah blah to donate to Haiti.
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by spikedcylinder: 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2010
Re: Davidylan Challenges Motivation & Usefulness of 'Relief Efforts' for Haiti by bawomolo(m): 10:06pm On Jan 14, 2010
I kinda understand what dawodu is trying to say.

a city with a population of 2 million people has no excuse for not having earth moving equipment, a fire service or more than 9000 policemen.  haiti has experienced disaster before so contingency plans should have been made earlier.  Haiti is a corrupt country and has to answer where all the aid it gets went too?

This shouldn't stop people from donating but chances are lots of donations would be embezzled or mismanaged in corrupt government style

building palaces while the people go without food?

the haitian "white house" was destroyed during the quake too. bulldozers are been transported from neighboring Dominican republic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Kate Middleton, Duchess Of Cambridge Gives Birth To A Boy / Pistorious Arrested For Shooting Girlfriend Dead / Militaries Of Africa Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.