Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,536 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped (5787 Views)

Lack Of Electricity Has Helped In Creating Jobs(pics) / Britain Has Helped Us To ‘touch The Untouchables’, Says Magu / Tiv Nation Has Been Betrayed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by No2Atheism(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2010
can someone please explain to me why i keep hearing the phrase over population . . . how exactly are over populated.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SEFAGO(m): 7:41am On Jan 15, 2010
chiogo:

Well, it would be if who the people looked up to lived up to expectations.

Isn't Haiti the first Black nation to gain independence from France or something? Well then, it's what is achieved with the independence that matters.

But how can you know that? How can the ordinary market woman on the streets of Lagos be able to tell if the guy running for Governor really has her interest at heart?

Haiti did not gain independence from France per se. It gained it from sorrow, tears, and blood. Haiti is the only country to have emerged from a successful slave revolt.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SEFAGO(m): 7:42am On Jan 15, 2010
We are kinda over populated, what's the pop. 150 million? Compared to Haiti, Cape Verde, Jamaica, Trini, etc
Well, that kinda provides an excuse for the poverty even though it's still the government's greed

Not really a good comparison. Usually its population density you should be comparing
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by bawomolo(m): 7:44am On Jan 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

But that's the point. Civil unrest in china is quelled not just by the Government but the rising standard of living especially in Mainland China. Agreed there is a large number of impoverished chinese but more and ore of them are moving into the middle class. The communist government in China can continue because they are able to yield economic growth despite having bad human rights records and poor treatment of their minorities. This was not the case for example in the communist bloc in which standards of living were falling significantly despite communism.

that's the thing though, there isn't income equality in China and every economic boom would plateau at some point.
The communist party wouldn't be able to hold on to power and continue with censorship as the middle class continue to grow. ethnic violence in tibet and the muslim province aren't going away soon.   The autonomous regions of China (hong kong and macau) have better governments than the mainland itself.

No2Atheism:

how are we over populated exactly . . . is that your opinion backed up with facrs or is that wat the west says . . .

Nigeria's GDP growth is unable to cope with the rise in population.  this is the case in most sub-saharran countries.
i love how you brought the west into this.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by chiogo(f): 7:46am On Jan 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

But how can you know that? How can the ordinary market woman on the streets of Lagos be able to tell if the guy running for Governor really has her interest at heart?

Haiti did not gain independence from France per se. It gained it from sorrow, tears, and blood. Haiti is the only country to have emerged from a successful slave revolt.
Through their speeches.  tongue
Yeah, I read about Toussaint and co., which is why it is sad how badly the country is still doing.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SEFAGO(m): 7:48am On Jan 15, 2010
that's the thing though, there isn't income equality in China and every economic boom would plateau at some point.
The communist party wouldn't be able to hold on to power and continue with censorship as the middle class continue to grow. ethnic violence in tibet and the muslim province aren't going away soon.   The autonomous regions of China (hong kong and macau) have better governments than the mainland itself

That's when they are ripe for democracy. When there is a social class large enough to understand the economic merits that come from rejecting corruption and censorship. However, China would probably not have had explosive growth if not for the absence of democracy to even encourage corruption.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by bawomolo(m): 7:56am On Jan 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

That's when they are ripe for democracy. When there is a social class large enough to understand the economic merits that come from rejecting corruption and censorship. However, China would probably not have had explosive growth if not for the absence of democracy to even encourage corruption.

not really. China adopting capitalism and providing a cheap source of labor is what spurred the growth. selling cheap goods to wal mart and manufacturing inexpensive cars does wonderful things for your economy.

China didn't experience such growth when it aligned with the soviet union and was collectivist (people starved during this era).
Japan grew to become the 2nd largest economy in the world as a democracy so i doubt democracy would have stopped China from being an attractive exporter. no democracy has allowed them to play mago mago with their currency though grin
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Sammy107d(m): 7:57am On Jan 15, 2010
people sha. If nigeria helps, it's "We cannot even feed ourselves yet", if we don't, it's "We're selfish". Damn.

Nigeria to help quake-hit Haiti
Latest news
WRITTEN BY ABDULMUTALLIB A. ABUBAKAR & TINA A. HASSAN  
FRIDAY, 15 JANUARY 2010 03:13
Vice President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday expressed condolences to President René Préval and the people of Haiti over the devastating earthquake in the country’s capital, Port-au-Prince.

In a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, Jonathan expressed Nigeria’s sympathy with Haiti, noting that Nigerians shared in the grief of their Haitian brothers and sisters.

He said the international community can count on Nigeria’s support on the rebuilding of Haiti.

Also Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Alhaji Jibril Maigari yesterday said Nigeria will donate food items and other relief materials to the people of Haiti who were hit by earthquake.

Maigari told the BBC Hausa service that no Nigerian died in the disaster, adding that the country has been assured by the United Nations that all the 120 Nigerian Police officers serving in the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti are safe.

Also in a statement issued in Abuja, he said the ministry has been in touch with Nigeria High Commissioner to Jamaica Mr Peter Oyedele who was in Haiti to monitor the situation and confirmed that no Nigerian died in the unfortunate incident.

The minister said Nigeria commiserates with the people of Haiti over the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that claimed over a thousand lives and rendered thousands homeless.

"The Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria expresses its condolences to the President and People of Haiti on the devastating earthquake," the minister said in a statement issued in Abuja.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), the World Food Program (WFP) and other United Nations bodies are monitoring the distribution of food and other relief materials to Haitians after the country was devastated earthquake on Tuesday.

FAO said it is "closely monitoring the situation on ground to get a clearer picture on the immediate impacts of food security and food production" as they deal with emergency food aid and nutrition.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by oyinda3(f): 7:58am On Jan 15, 2010
@sefago n bamowolo

censorship getting so much google is leaving
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/world/asia/15google.html?ref=technology
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Kobojunkie: 8:00am On Jan 15, 2010
oh my!!! it's a miracle!!!! shocked

*** I hope MEND will not be offended by this****
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SEFAGO(m): 8:03am On Jan 15, 2010
oyinda.:

@sefago n bamowolo

censorship getting so much google is leaving
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/15/world/asia/15google.html?ref=technology

Doesn't matter- China would build there own google. Those guys can counterfeit anything. All those western companies should pack their load and go angry
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by rhymz(m): 8:07am On Jan 15, 2010
ajadudu:

This is a shame, Haiti is full of blacks, yet no support from Africa,  except South Africa. Our Acting Deputy Vice President could only express "sympathy and grief with our brothers and sisters". Not a dime or a pledge made in cash or resources.

Look at this list and you will understand what I am saying, even if it's $100,000. In short we yab for Africa. It is not everyday we should be helped, when issues like this occur we need to show we are not a continent of takers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_to_the_2010_Haiti_earthquake

It is folly for anyone to say because Nigeria has not pledged support in monetary terms,we are bad or sth or we like to take without giving back.That's totally untrue.Nigeria is one of the largest contributor of peace keepers especially in africa.Let's face the fact,while I agree that Haitans realy need all the help they can get,it can't be ignored that aids such as this usually serve some strategic important aims or interest in the end.Nearly all the country that have given aids both through funds and relief materials have ties with that country either economic or the fact that they share thesame continent.Seriously,issues such as these is just a matter of diplomacy,moral rectitude takes a backseat in this regard.It's sad but that is the reality,every country irrespective of the prevailing economic realities will not neccessarily commit fund or relief materials at every crisis that happen anywhere in the world.It doesn't mean those countries that just stopped at giving sympathy or goodwill msgs are bad.However,this is not to say africans shouldn't give if they want to but they must not be faulted for not giving like the OP is trying to do.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by oyinda3(f): 8:07am On Jan 15, 2010
hmm we'll have to wait and see. but meanwhile, google's competitors like yahoo n co will definitely be counting their blessings now
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 15, 2010
google didnt pull out of Nigeria yet?

I'm sure a lot of Nigerians would prefer that instead of them leaving China.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by alias64: 8:18am On Jan 15, 2010

No2Atheism (m)

can someone please explain to me why i keep hearing the phrase over population . . . how exactly are over populated

If I am not mistaken a country or continent is said to be overpopulated if the land and economy are estimated as incapable of sustaining its inhabitants.  For example, a country of only 500 people could be judged as overpopulated if current land quality and economy can only sustain 250 people.  Like other indexes, the concept is controversial and often used selectively.  
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by RichyBlacK(m): 8:18am On Jan 15, 2010
[size=18pt]Nigeria has the most useless government in the cosmos![/size]
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SEFAGO(m): 8:19am On Jan 15, 2010
^ so Zimbabwe is in an alternate Universe?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by RichyBlacK(m): 8:21am On Jan 15, 2010
For those wretched scumbags referred to as politicians in Abuja to give $100,000 to Haiti, each of them kleptofucks will demand $1 million for themselves.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by alias64: 8:23am On Jan 15, 2010
RichyBlacK
[size=14pt]
Nigeria has the most useless government in the cosmos!
[/size]

I wouldn’t say that, the government of the people of sector 5 in Cassiopeia the blue jet galaxy are pretty bad.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by RichyBlacK(m): 8:24am On Jan 15, 2010
SEFAGO:

^ so Zimbabwe is in an alternate Universe?

No country in this cosmos has a worse government. If our breed of kleptofucks were running Zimbabwe, that country would have been worse than Somalia.

The only thing hiding the true nature of the rot in Nigeria is the millions of dollars coming in everyday from crude oil.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 15, 2010
[size=20pt]WHY THE SHOUTING NAH[/size]
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by oyinda3(f): 8:37am On Jan 15, 2010
richyblack likes to scream
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by alias64: 8:37am On Jan 15, 2010
It is the law of diminishing return, Tpia. .  They’ve used all profanity and it now no longer has shock value so they are going to emblazon the tired things. Next they’ll emblezone razzmatazing gifs.

Then again, perhaps the shootings and bombings of everyday life downtown Mogadishu has defend the poor sod. undecided
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by MandingoII(m): 9:03am On Jan 15, 2010
[size=18pt]AFRICAN NATIONS ARE SELFISH[/size]

[size=14pt]YOUR COUNTRIES CONSTANTLY GOT YOUR HANDS OUT - AND WILL SCREAM TO HIGH HEAVENS OF YOUR "so called" ACCOMPLISHMENTS, BUT WHEN THE WORLD NEED YOU, YOU ARE VACANT.[/size]

Thanks for not responding to Haiti's need. Let's see who will respond to your needs.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by RichyBlacK(m): 9:09am On Jan 15, 2010
oyinda.:

richyblack likes to scream

My apologies for shouting, the tin be say Nigeria don taya me.

If I see that red button that if pushed once will wipe out all Nigeria's kleptomaniacs in government, I'll push it thrice!
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by RichyBlacK(m): 9:11am On Jan 15, 2010
alias64:

I wouldn’t say that, the government of the people of sector 5 in Cassiopeia the blue jet galaxy are pretty bad. [/b]

I can assure you that Nigeria's government is infinitely worse. There is nothing good that comes out of the filthy government in Abuja, absolutely nothing!
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by honeric01(m): 9:30am On Jan 15, 2010
@madingo
why not take time to read through the thread before concluding? didn't you see the comment from sammy-107?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by jimmysho(m): 10:24am On Jan 15, 2010
do u help a man based on sentiment or as u ve the leverage? since they are blacks. then africa nations should swarn them with aids. hw many western country have 'help' somalia, sudan?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by alias64: 10:28am On Jan 15, 2010

Too many pointless statements, click on link below and donate please or find one organised by black people.

http://www.unicef.org.uk/give/index.asp?page=33&google=haiti_jan10&gclid=CPjg34eGpp8CFRlr4wodZWx_1Q
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 15, 2010
and I thought Nigerians could whine.

Mandingo whines more than any Nigerian I know.

meanwhile, I'm sure he spent his time screaming on NL without donating either himself or his money to Haiti.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SeanT21(f): 11:06am On Jan 15, 2010
**I can't believe Wal Mart and McDonald's donated that little**

Where is Botswana,Egypt ,Algeria,etc? These are all rich nations
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by ajadudu: 1:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
Point is our foreign image is in tatters, too much bad news about Nigeria. It is times like this you step up to the plate and show you still want to belong in the international community and not end up a pariah state. Making promises to help if it is needed is just rubbish.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Niger Deltans, This Is Time To Reciprocate Our Kind Gesture / INEC Projects 84m Voters For Feb Polls / Osinbajo: Trust, Key To Nigeria’s Economic Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.