Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped (5786 Views)

Lack Of Electricity Has Helped In Creating Jobs(pics) / Britain Has Helped Us To ‘touch The Untouchables’, Says Magu / Tiv Nation Has Been Betrayed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by otawa: 2:12pm On Jan 15, 2010
@Poster, how can we help at this time when our president remains missing? If you notice, most all the countries that are rushing to help actually have their leaders representing 'em. We, on the other hand, are in need of help. lol

If you had read the news, you will have known by now that 'Good Luck' has legally backing to do all things the on behalf of Yaradua!

Point is our foreign image is in tatters, too much bad news about Nigeria. It is times like this you step up to the plate and show you still want to belong in the international community and not end up a pariah state. Making promises to help if it is needed is just rubbish.

You think so? What about taking good care of your people first then you can think about your external image?

How many people even know NIGERIA as a country?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
otawa:

If you had read the news, you will have known by now that 'Good Luck' has legally backing to do all things the on behalf of Yaradua!

How in the world does that change what I said earlier?? ROFLMAO!!! He is still MIA . . . lol
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by ajadudu: 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
otawa:

You think so?  What about taking good care of your people first then you can think about your external image?

How many people even know NIGERIA as a country?

It is a step to help your people by attracting foreign investors, like I said, no country can stand on it's own in this day and age. If your image is bad, and you do nothing about it no investor will touch you with a stick a mile long. Which means no new jobs etc. Taking care of your image comes hand in hand with your ability to attract new businesses and investors and thus helping your people. Go and ask Ghana how they now have MTN, Guinness HQ moved over to Accra from Nigeria. By having a bad image?

For the people that do not know Nigeria is a country, we definitely will not gain anything from them anyway, so those are not our targeted individuals.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 15, 2010
maybe it wasnt such a bad idea to move the capital from Lagos to Abuja after all.

Coastal cities are a bit of a risk.

well, @ topic

maybe you should find out why exactly black African nations arent as fast in responding to the disaster as the developed world.

So far, its the stable economies who responded quickly.

On the other hand, the wiki list may not be accurate.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by mamagee3(f): 9:23pm On Jan 15, 2010
Aren't African Nations suffering too?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by naijaway(m): 10:16pm On Jan 15, 2010
@poster, May God bless you abundantly for noticing such a wicked characteristics in the african continent.

People, claim africa is poor, this, and that. Nigeria and many in africa can help even if it is a boat of relief. If one does it, other will follow suit. Africans are wicked to themselves, to their neighbors, and any other person. And lying, excuses, and laziness are the core of the wickedness. People say Nigeria have helped here and there, but forget that many times, the UN had to beg and continously plead for our intervention due to nigeria's population and fairly average military potential. Must we always be pleaded to before we take actions. I single out Nigeria because that is my country and the vast wickedness is getting more shallow and wide which will soon cause an earth quake of its own.
Times like this, the majority of efforts need to come nationally and secondly experiences are learnt in such situations. Too bad Nigeria and worse for the rest of africa. This is why God will keep blessing the nations that have mass humanity spirit at heart.
Nigerians need to get in the habit of giving, not only receiving and looking for receiving.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by nex(m): 10:57pm On Jan 15, 2010
I've been very concerned about the way African countries treat our brothers in the Caribean as if they were from another planet.

They are Africans, they are our siblings and our responsibility.

Have a proper look at Haitians and you will realize they are too similar to Nigerians to ignore.

Nigeria has enough money to at least show we don't leave our own behind. Someone is talking about red tape while people are dead and dying in large numbers. The countries that are helping, don't they have red tape? Nigeria should be able to contribute $20 million and some troops.

And who's the person shouting about China not being a third world country. China themselves have accepted that tag and before you know it, they'll be well ahead of the whole world. So no matter how rich or developed China has become, the West has maliciously labelled them as third world, and they totally agree. What's your problem?

I hope Nigeria quickly brings an end to this "mumu" way of life.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jan 15, 2010
the list may be incomplete anyway.

and if its true no single black country has helped so far (I really doubt that), then try to find the reason why. Its not because of some petty grievance like people are trying to prove here.

Afterall, Nigeria sent troops to Liberia, Sierra leone, Congo and Sudan.

I've been very concerned about the way African countries treat our brothers in the Caribean as if they were from another planet.

more like the other way round though that's neither here nor there.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by ezeagu(m): 11:03pm On Jan 15, 2010
Biafra would have helped. grin
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by yeswecan(m): 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
ezeagu:

Biafra would have helped. grin

Keep dreaming.

It is really bad that no African country has helped . . . . .
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by ezeagu(m): 11:06pm On Jan 15, 2010
yeswecan:

Keep dreaming.

Your screen name is 'Yeswecan', remember what dreaming can do . . . . . . . grin
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by redsun(m): 11:07pm On Jan 15, 2010
How can those who can't help themselves help others?Forget african governments.

Contribute to these people on individual basis if you are well dispose and humane enough,it could be you in disaster nest.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2010
let's not deceive ourselves btw.

The developed nations can provide far better practical and logistical assistance to Haiti at this time, than most black African countries.

This is a fact.

We dont even have the experience or know how to deal with catastrophes of this nature.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by ezeagu(m): 11:11pm On Jan 15, 2010
I don't get the thread, Nigeria can't even help (as in the government) if it wanted to because there is no government without a president.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by yeswecan(m): 11:17pm On Jan 15, 2010
ezeagu:

I don't get the thread, Nigeria can't even help (as in the government) if it wanted to because there is no government without a president.

word
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by sjeezy8: 11:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
A country that cannot even help itself to find its own president is expected to help Haiti across the Ocean

you people should talk with sense.
Nigeria has helped many african countries. Thats why its called a regional power, without Nigeria the whole west africa would be on fire.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by redsun(m): 11:19pm On Jan 15, 2010
Africa is a blessed continent,no natural disasters and calamities,situated in best part of the planet but unfortunately environment tend to have made africans docile.We are not presurred by nature.

But i anticipate the day the atlantic will roar over its banks in places like lagos,i hope it never happens in our life time because we are not ready.

Nature is like stepping on a thin ice,we exist to perish,which ever way you see i,it is inescapable.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 15, 2010
redsun:

Africa is a blessed continent,no natural disasters and calamities,situated in best part of the planet but unfortunately environment tend to have made africans docile.We are not presurred by nature.

But i anticipate the day the atlantic will roar over its banks in places like my home village and also wherever I live.

Nature is like stepping on a thin ice,we exist to perish,which ever way you see i,it is inescapable.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by sjeezy8: 11:32pm On Jan 15, 2010
haha lmfao chineke this thread is funny lmfao
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by MandingoII(m): 11:34pm On Jan 15, 2010
without Nigeria the whole west africa would be on fire.

Unfortunately, if you look at the news, Nigeria is ON FIRE!
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by naijaway(m): 11:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
tpia.:

let's not deceive ourselves btw.

The developed nations can provide far better practical and logistical assistance to Haiti at this time, than most black African countries.

This is a fact.

We dont even have the experience or know how to deal with catastrophes of this nature.

This is not true. Effort leads to experience. If we never try, how do we get experience. Nigeria should deviate from excuses. This starts from regular citizens right from elementary school all the way to the leadership . We don't trust our leaders and they wholeheartedly don't trust the citizens because if many of those citizens makes it to their position, it would be the same excuses just different bank accounts.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by redsun(m): 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
MandingoII:

Unfortunately, if you look at the news, Nigeria is ON FIRE!

Just like tpia,sex on fire.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by redsun(m): 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2010
The idea of one helping others,emanates from one's ability to help him or herself.Charity begins at home.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by bawomolo(m): 11:46pm On Jan 15, 2010
sjeezy8:

haha lmfao chineke this thread is funny lmfao

LOL i know right
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by redsun(m): 11:49pm On Jan 15, 2010
Life is a joke.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by SapeleGuy: 1:09am On Jan 16, 2010
Nigeria: Nation to Help Quake-Hit Haiti

Abdulmutallib A. Abubakar and Tina A. Hassan

15 January 2010

Vice President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday expressed condolences to President René Préval and the people of Haiti over the devastating earthquake in the country's capital, Port-au-Prince.

In a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, Jonathan expressed Nigeria's sympathy with Haiti, noting that Nigerians shared in the grief of their Haitian brothers and sisters.

He said the international community can count on Nigeria's support on the rebuilding of Haiti.

Also Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Alhaji Jibril Maigari yesterday said Nigeria will donate food items and other relief materials to the people of Haiti who were hit by earthquake.

Maigari told the BBC Hausa service that no Nigerian died in the disaster, adding that the country has been assured by the United Nations that all the 120 Nigerian Police officers serving in the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti are safe.

Also in a statement issued in Abuja, he said the ministry has been in touch with Nigeria High Commissioner to Jamaica Mr Peter Oyedele who was in Haiti to monitor the situation and confirmed that no Nigerian died in the unfortunate incident.

The minister said Nigeria commiserates with the people of Haiti over the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that claimed over a thousand lives and rendered thousands homeless.

"The Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria expresses its condolences to the President and People of Haiti on the devastating earthquake," the minister said in a statement issued in Abuja.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), the World Food Program (WFP) and other United Nations bodies are monitoring the distribution of food and other relief materials to Haitians after the country was devastated earthquake on Tuesday.

FAO said it is "closely monitoring the situation on ground to get a clearer picture on the immediate impacts of food security and food production" as they deal with emergency food aid and nutrition.
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by THEAMAKA(f): 1:17am On Jan 16, 2010
[size=15pt]LMFAO!!!![/size] i knew a thread like this would spring up. . .
anyway. . . most black/african/carribean countries cant even help themselves!!! talk less of helping with foreign AID. as there was another thread saying "Why are there no successful black nations"
JUST LISTEN TO YOURSELVES!!
i wouldn't expect any black nation to help and it's not their fault. they have 99+ problems of their own to worry about.
that's just the way it is, oh well. . .
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by MandingoII(m): 2:19am On Jan 16, 2010
[s]Nigeria: Nation to Help Quake-Hit Haiti

Abdulmutallib A. Abubakar and Tina A. Hassan

15 January 2010

Vice President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday expressed condolences to President René Préval and the people of Haiti over the devastating earthquake in the country's capital, Port-au-Prince.

In a statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Ima Niboro, Jonathan expressed Nigeria's sympathy with Haiti, noting that Nigerians shared in the grief of their Haitian brothers and sisters.

He said the international community can count on Nigeria's support on the rebuilding of Haiti.

Also Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Alhaji Jibril Maigari yesterday said Nigeria will donate food items and other relief materials to the people of Haiti who were hit by earthquake.

Maigari told the BBC Hausa service that no Nigerian died in the disaster, adding that the country has been assured by the United Nations that all the 120 Nigerian Police officers serving in the UN peacekeeping mission in Haiti are safe.

Also in a statement issued in Abuja, he said the ministry has been in touch with Nigeria High Commissioner to Jamaica Mr Peter Oyedele who was in Haiti to monitor the situation and confirmed that no Nigerian died in the unfortunate incident.

The minister said Nigeria commiserates with the people of Haiti over the 7.0 magnitude earthquake that claimed over a thousand lives and rendered thousands homeless.

"The Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria expresses its condolences to the President and People of Haiti on the devastating earthquake," the minister said in a statement issued in Abuja.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), the World Food Program (WFP) and other United Nations bodies are monitoring the distribution of food and other relief materials to Haitians after the country was devastated earthquake on Tuesday.

FAO said it is "closely monitoring the situation on ground to get a clearer picture on the immediate impacts of food security and food production" as they deal with emergency food aid and nutrition[/s].

[size=16pt]THIS DOES NOT SAY SH!T[/size]
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by sage(m): 3:29am On Jan 16, 2010
Nigeria cant even help itself. There is no functioning government in the country to organize a relief effort.

What I dont understand is what are the richer African countries doing? Tunisia, Bostwana, Algeria, Egypt, Morrocco etc Siddon dey look?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Fhemmmy: 3:34am On Jan 16, 2010
I am surprised that someone is talking of Nigerians helping Haiti. . . .what kinda help do u actually expects from Nigerian government? send some money to them and people like u would be the first to start making noise that the govt is giving money to another country while the Nigerians are suffering.
BTW . . . i am sure some individual would have helped.
What have you done as a person to help them too?
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by Kobojunkie: 3:40am On Jan 16, 2010
sage:

Nigeria cant even help itself. There is no functioning government in the country to organize a relief effort.

What I dont understand is what are the richer African countries doing? Tunisia, Bostwana, Algeria, Egypt, Morrocco etc Siddon dey look?

shocked
Re: While The World Helps Haiti, Not One Black African Nation Has Helped by MandingoII(m): 4:20am On Jan 16, 2010
What have you done as a person to help them too?

Texted the word

Haiti to 90999

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Lagos And The Swest Will Feed Itself. (pics) Not Just Talk Like Some People. / Appeal Court Asks Okorocha To Reinstate Sacked Imo LG Chairmen / Is APC An Islamist Party?check Out There Executive Excos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.