Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,985 members, 7,817,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? (10206 Views)

NNPC Staff: Resume Before 8am Or Stay At Home / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / Nigerian Lng Is Recruiting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by 4Play(m): 5:59pm On Feb 02, 2007
While noone trusts Nigerian degrees,apart from some Nigerians,they are about the best measure of competence.Hence the classification of degrees into 2-1 and 2-2 e.t.c,remains the one of the most reliable metrics for assesing job applicants.

Here in the Western world,chances are u will be working under someone who does not even have a degree
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by blinx4real(m): 6:42pm On Feb 02, 2007
Oh Lord of Mercy! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Where are our values? where for the sake of the living christ are all the virtues that our forefathers lived by and taught us? As a young child growing up, i was told that to those who do well are rewarded and those who do badly are punished.
Where did all of this crap come from, ,, where people now expect to be given priviledges they do not deserve and for which they have proved beyond reasonable doubt that they are not worthy of.

Please wake bro, life gives you what you deserve, when you fail learn from your falls rather than hoping that the rules will be suspended because of you.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 02, 2007
I decided not to comment and all, but after reading some peoples posts i just gotta talk.
Life gives you what you demand, you get out what you put in. When i was in university, i made sacrifices. I wasnt a club boy, and didnt have a girlfriend.
I worked hard and graduated with a strong 2-1 close to a first class. Now im here on a scholarship for my masters.
Im not tryin to blow my own trumpet, but im sick and tired of all those people hating on guys with good grades.
I remember people laughing at me in school, callin me eficco and all, and making fun of my glasses. Now they are the ones
on the streets, suffering. Look, im tired of guys yarning and saying "its all about what you can do" what the hell can you do?
I read computer science and i taught myself to code right from secondary school. Im yet to see any guy with a lesser grade make mouth
around me.
In my final year there was a dude from yabatech feeling cool with himself because he was helpin out some of my classmates.
After having a 5 min conversation with me, he just kept quiet.
There are people with 2-2's who are brilliant and got messed up . I have HND guys who are also my friends, and are also good, but sadly, its a
competitive, doggy-eat-doggy world out there. No one is interested in excuses, just results.
If an organization decides it wants 2-1, its their buisness. Why should someone who chased women, and partied his life away have the same
opportunity as someone who paid the price? It is this attitude of "something for nothing" thats killing our country today.
F***k it, if the company wants standards, they have EVERY right to insist. It isnt discrimination. You cannot convince me that you have
"skills" if you couldnt muster the discipline to wake up, study, and do your assignments.
This is a topic that im passionate about, so if anyone wants to fight me, BRING IT ON!!!!!
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by gbeborun(m): 11:01pm On Feb 02, 2007
I bet u guys know that 2.1 is the yardstick in use now. Even in the Uk where i reside, u cant get a graduate opportunity without having a 2.1 or a 1st!
Employers want the 'best' (mind u best is in quote) be it in the public or private. Moreover i think the public sector need the quality people to grow the ECONOMY! Chikena
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Christino(m): 12:01am On Feb 03, 2007
@ Wavemasta,

I have about 3 of my guys who stuck by me thru d school days but still ended up with 3.4 smths. They never partied or had a diff life they did their best but luck was just not there. One of them now works with a major company, earning 175k per month and has MCSE, CCNP, so let's cut the crap like everyone who works hard gets a 2-1, it just doesnt always work that way.

Another fact is the foundation. If your 100 level is woeful (which is usually the case due to people trying to settle down, admission procedure, name not coming out on time and stuffs) and depending on the grading system e.g. Uniben, U.I, O.A.U. your subsequent exploits may not improve your chances.

Don't see 2-2's or even 3rd classes as poor people. Academic excellence is basically theoretical, practical, hands-on is something else. I noticed the flaw with bookworms in my labs, they just couldn't hold down the practicals like they cram their books. Guy, being a programmer is a different case entirely.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by zebra(m): 11:55am On Feb 03, 2007
davidylan:

shocked
Where are these "fearful" 1st class or 2.1 holders?

Some of them are here on nairaland. They can't defend their 1st class and 2.1 degrees.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 03, 2007
zebra:

Some of them are here on nairaland. They can't defend their 1st class and 2.1 degrees.

Really? Can you defend your 2.2 or 3rd class?
Bring it on you!
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 03, 2007
@ christino

Well youre right. I had a friend who was stuck at 3.49. My beef is with these guys who beef people with good grades.
Not every "bookworm" crams, and there are some people, my humble self included, who can hold their own anywhere.
whether its in the field, or in "theory". Like i said, i thought myself everything i know abt codin/the practical aspect of my stuff.
I even had a job as a web application developer before i went for my masters, so dont generalize and say that guys with 2-1 and above
cant neccessarily handle themselves in the field. That is simply a cliche sprouted by mediocres tryin to justify/console themselves.
And by your post, i can deduce that you arent one (a mediocre). So no stress my guy.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by 4Play(m): 2:56pm On Feb 03, 2007
Make una shut up.All these people with degrees from Mickey Mouse courses;Computer Science,Engineering,e.t.c grin

Corporate Finance,Banking,law students dey talk ,una dey talk grin
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by debosky(m): 11:55pm On Feb 05, 2007
sharrap 4play, beacause you didnt have story books when you were young and had to read law reports from your papa's library

na so you mabnage get law degree, yeye boy grin grin grin
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by royy(m): 7:37am On Feb 06, 2007
[left][/left]MAN DATS SUM REAL DISCRIMINATION GOIN ON THERE, DNT 4GT NOT EVERY1 CAN GT 2 1 COS GOIN TO SKUL WUD LUK USELESS 2 2 NO MIN SAY D LAD OR BABA DAFT AFTERALL U WUD STILL DO THEIR TRAINING BIN INTELLIGENT N BIN STREETWISE R 2 DIFFETRENT THINGS
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 9:26am On Feb 06, 2007
the above poster is a classical example why clear cut distinctions must be made between the wheat and the tares!
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by texazzpete(m): 2:29pm On Feb 06, 2007
royy:

[left][/left]MAN DATS SUM REAL DISCRIMINATION GOIN ON THERE, DNT 4GT NOT EVERY1 CAN GT 2 1 COS GOIN TO SKUL WUD LUK USELESS 2 2 NO MIN SAY D LAD OR BABA DAFT AFTERALL U WUD STILL DO THEIR TRAINING BIN INTELLIGENT N BIN STREETWISE R 2 DIFFETRENT THINGS

Speak English!

davidylan:

the above poster is a classical example why clear cut distinctions must be made between the wheat and the tares!

Lol! grin
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by otunba27(m): 3:27pm On Feb 06, 2007
I think is because we are used to seeking employment from them that why they keep bringing different standard,i only we can start thinking of doing something for ourself and keeping us self employed on employer of graduates will be bringing class to degree but what you can offre given everybody a leveled field to perfrom.So guys get started and think of something nice we can do it.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by ishmael(m): 5:48pm On Feb 06, 2007
But why is that 1st class and 2.1 graduates go about looking for jobs?? can't they use their 1st class and 2.1 skills to create jobs for themselves and others?? I expect only 2.2, 3rd class and pass graduates to be looking for jobs.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Feb 06, 2007
ishmael:

But why is that 1st class and 2.1 graduates go about looking for jobs?? can't they use their 1st class and 2.1 skills to create jobs for themselves and others?? I expect only 2.2, 3rd class and pass graduates to be looking for jobs.

This is the most cerebrally absurd statement i have seen on this thread so far. Makes me wonder how some people reason. If every 1st class and 2.1 candidate has to go and "create jobs" for themselves, how many one-man companies would we have in Nigeria in a climate where even multinational companies such as Michelin are being forced to downsize?
So the reward for laziness, incompetence and inefficiency for 2.2, 3rd class and pass degree holders is top oil company jobs, bank jobs and federal govt appointments they do not merit while their hardworking counterparts are busy using their "skills" to "create jobs" for themselves?

Oh wait! Do you mean to say after the 1st class and 2.1 holders have finally created stable jobs, they should reserve employment opportunities for lazy and incompetent half-baked graduates while the fresh "skilled" graduates go about "creating" yet more jobs to employ 3rd class holders?

It is only in this warped mentally unbalanced Nigeria that incompetent idiots excuse their laziness by "expecting" only 2.2 and 3rd class holders to be looking for jobs they do not qualify for!
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by debosky(m): 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2007
davidylan, take it easy bro cheesy

I've also heard the argument that some of the 2:2/3rd guys are the ones who have a life outside school/ not enough time for studies -

doing runs/business on the side. So after all the runs, let those devoted to knowing how to do things properly get the jobs first, and the

'multitasking experts' who mix everything together should keep on running the businesses!

and a final word: job creation, especially in Nigeria with no power, roads, infrastructure is MUCH MORE than degrees.

if you didn't know that ishmael, I might just have to agree with the description of your mental abilities that david has given
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by 4Play(m): 8:24pm On Feb 06, 2007
U folks advocating that 2.1 should not be given preference over 2.2 are not doing yourselves any favor with your mutilation of the English language

I myself had a 2.2 but I do understand why preference will be made for 2.1s

All the energy dissipated on this thread rationalising an absurd proposition should be best put to use working hard

And for goodness sake,some of these guys should be busy retaking JAMB English,instead of asking for an end to a worldwide practice
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by WesleyanA(f): 9:51pm On Feb 06, 2007
what's 2-1, 2-2 undecided
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by 4Play(m): 9:56pm On Feb 06, 2007
WesleyanA:

what's 2-1, 2-2 undecided

2-2 is what is awarded to lazy students

2-1 is what is awarded to students who are not as lazy as the 2-2 students

Alternatively,u can purchase any of the above classifications as in my former school
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 06, 2007
In the alternative case that you are female, beautiful but unable to raise sufficient funds to purchase a 2-1 or 2-2, you can purchase such in kind from generous members of faculty.
In the unfortunate event that you are male, poor and lazy, there is always ample room to obtain the prestigious 2-2 award while accusing genuine 1st class and 2-1 holders of "buying" their share certificates!

In the event that your 2-2 does not meet standard employment requirements, you are absolutely allowed to head to the law courts to file discrimination charges.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by debosky(m): 10:08pm On Feb 06, 2007
davidylan:

In the unfortunate event that you are male, poor and lazy, there is always ample room to obtain the prestigious 2-2 award while accusing genuine 1st class and 2-1 holders of "buying" their[b] share[/b] certificates!

I think you meant degree certificates bro, but I get your message wink
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Christino(m): 10:19pm On Feb 06, 2007
davidylan:

In the event that your 2-2 does not meet standard employment requirements, you are absolutely allowed to head to the law courts to file discrimination charges.

Dat's MEAN but it sure strikes the nail in the head. End of discussion!!! cheesy

Even though 2-2 means above average sad
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by 4Play(m): 10:21pm On Feb 06, 2007
Christino:

Even though 2-2 means above average sad

Dude,how is 2-2 above average?

Is 3rd Class average then?
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by WesleyanA(f): 10:21pm On Feb 06, 2007
i still don't get the whole 2-1, 2-2 thing.
is it like a masters degree?
what other awards are there?
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by debosky(m): 10:25pm On Feb 06, 2007
its like latin classifications of magna cum laude, summa cum laude and cum laude i.e 1st class, 2/1 (SECOND CLASS UPPER) 2/2 (SECOND CLASS LOWER)
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by alexis(m): 10:34pm On Feb 06, 2007
Read hard, do you best but most importantly be a problem solver. 1st class doesn't make you a problem solver, 2:1 doesn't; if you are good you are good and no one can take it from you.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by WesleyanA(f): 10:36pm On Feb 06, 2007
that's like high honors and highest honors (there isn't that much of a difference is there?)

Thanks @debosky
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 06, 2007
alexis:

Read hard, do you best but most importantly be a problem solver. 1st class doesn't make you a problem solver, 2:1 doesn't; if you are good you are good and no one can take it from you.

1st class and 2:1 does not make you a problem solver in Nigeria's present day bastardised system of education but they highlight possible potentials that if harnessed very well and pushed to the limits of your ability can project you to be a problem solver tomorrow!

If you are good, you have no business scoring a 2:2, 3rd class or pass degree and then adding insult to injury by demanding unmerited opportunities.
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by Christino(m): 11:59pm On Feb 06, 2007
@ 4Play,

3rd class means below 2.5/5 and without much explanation, that's below average.

@ Debosky

Summa comes before magma, summa is the highest. Okay americans use the latin system anyway. But here, it's first, second 1 & 2 and third and pass and nothing!

@ Seun

And please the words fuc k, shi t, and cu m and so many others have been edited, now you can't write magna cu m laude all because cu m resolves to come. Haba, if a word has many meanings, please let it be o! embarassed
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by ishmael(m): 11:28am On Feb 07, 2007
@Davidylan
1st class and 2.1 graduates should be job creators and not job seekers. Let them create jobs and employ people with  2.2, 3rd class and pass Degrees; or alternatively let then go and lecture in the university and be doing their masters at the same time. They should stop competing and struggling for positions in existing organizations with people that graduated with lower grades who you people (1st class and 2.1) feel are less creative and innovative. Why not use your 1st class or 2.1 to start up something too??
Re: Why Should NNPC And LNG Discriminate Between 2-1 And 2-2? by LongOne1(m): 11:30am On Feb 07, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The 7 Biggest Banks In Nigeria - The Analysis / I Need Your Candid Advise On Career Choice. / Job Or Business- Where Should Be The Long Term Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.