Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,271 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? (17948 Views)

That Thing Called Marriage; What Are Your Thoughts? / If A Man Must Have Car, House And Job Before Marriage, What Must A Woman Have? / When A Man You Love Is Too Shy To Woo You, What Do You Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 05, 2017
LalaLushness:

Sir cheesy

Osky!
Trust
Finances 
Children...

All copied cool

Hope you are good bae smiley
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Dyt(f): 8:09pm On Jun 05, 2017
sisisioge:
No one single thing is enough...just focus on the one your have a comparative advance on and maximize it grin

I think he's single
cheesy cheesy
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 05, 2017
1bkaye:

Lol well it helps to have it, but it definitely isn’t sufficient enough on its own, plus it can be too much of a fleeting emotion to be getting married just because of it. Standard things to have in addition are financial stability, personalities that aren’t necessarily the same but work well with each other, a willingness to compromise and a level of respect and trust for one another, in my opinion

Walahi na true you talk cheesy grin
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2017
daylyt:

Walahi na true you talk cheesy grin
wink grin
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jun 05, 2017
daylyt:

Osky!
Trust
Finances 
Children...

All copied cool

Hope you are good bae smiley
Yes o ..
lol didn't know you brought the note book .. yeye guy grin
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
1bkaye:

Lol well it helps to have it, but it definitely isn’t sufficient enough on its own, plus it can be too much of a fleeting emotion to be getting married just because of it. Standard things to have in addition are financial stability, personalities that aren’t necessarily the same but work well with each other, a willingness to compromise and a level of respect and trust for one another, in my opinion
You used my line of thought but you put a lot of big grammars, I think that's why am bidding my time I will just add emotional stability to the mix. It don't believe in that word the only true love I know about is love for money cry
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Pemmy15: 8:14pm On Jun 05, 2017
Proudlyngwa:

Leave that talk, traditional marriage and by extension family is dying. What we have are union of people with mutual interests living together this days, yes a very high percentage of marriages are still stable, but when the divorce rate is logarithmical and time is linear, know that a very dangerous trend is kicking in.

Before you marry, you need to sit down and outline your plan for a married life, if you are marrying for love, sorry for you. Remember sacrifice and commitments are key.

I don't completely agree...guess I'll remain optimistic despite the logarithmical and linear "facts". I do agree with your last paragraph... definitely outline your plan for a married life and how you will handle stressors. Sacrifice and commitment are key in addition to love...even in marriages of yesterday there was love...just wasn't the only thing.
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Niceiroko: 8:17pm On Jun 05, 2017
Perspectives:

Your advice is priceless sir. I appreciate.

Lalasticlala, I think a lot of people need to see this.
. marriage is God's institution ,pray to God always for help

1 Like

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Funkybabee(f): 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2017
Perspectives:
Marriage is one of the next thing in my life right now and I don't want to get it wrong.

What are those things that can convince a person to tie a knot without regretting later in the future?

Are there signs that should be looked out for?

What are those red flags that shouldn't be ignored?

Married people, about to married, people in serious relationship, please we need your input.

they are three thing TRUST,LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING if u can find those thing in ur relationship u are good to go just be prayerful...
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by sisisioge: 8:21pm On Jun 05, 2017
Dyt:

I think he's single
cheesy cheesy

You wey no sabi work. To find me bobo once and for all dey hard you. Na only goose chase you dey point me. If to say I pay you money, I for don sue you for inefficiency tongue
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Davidgrey: 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2017
1bkaye:

Take away "love" from your ideal equation(your opinion) and you have a purposeless union

Asides procreation the basic reason why people come together and bond is "love"

Love is not an optional element, it's the core element of any union

Financial stability, Personality, Respect, Trust are necessary but people tend "choose their importance" to their relationships at varying values

There is nothing(Financial stability, Personality, Respect, Trust) that love cant overcome and this has been proven over centuries with factual "social evidences"

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by WORLDPEACE(m): 8:23pm On Jun 05, 2017
Perspectives:
Marriage is one of the next thing in my life right now and I don't want to get it wrong.

Married people, about to married, people in serious relationship, please we need your input.
Watch out for any signs that your prospective mate does not have sense. Don't take it for granted that because a person has a head they also have sense. People get married and their sense either increases or diminishes. That senseless mate will reduce yours and you will start doing things people thought you were below you- You'll start behaving like fowl. I know a lot of cool guys or girls that have been behaving like donkeys since they got married. Safeguard your sense at all cost. That's what I have to offer.

2 Likes

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 05, 2017
Piiko:
You used my line of thought but you put a lot of big grammars, I think that's why am bidding my time I will just add emotional stability to the mix. It don't believe in that word the only true love I know about is love for money cry
Lool yeah emotional stability helps too, aww you may find someone that changes your mind wink or not tongue

Money is a true love of mine tooo lol

1 Like

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by virtual3xpert: 8:28pm On Jun 05, 2017
tobianthony:

All the best .

Hello, are you a counsellor please?
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Meetehis: 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
AGREEMENT[b][/b]
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Heavance(m): 8:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
tobianthony:
When it comes to marriage first things first you need to know yourself and you need to be painfully realistic with yourself .

Finances - very very key ... Ask your partner to write down at least five financial principles they believe in and practice . Nobody has enough money to do what they want all the time it's all about managing resources .

Spirituality - if you guys are not on the same level spiritually you need to resolve this .

Sexuality - everybody more than often cheats one way or the other ...do not let this bug you to the point of insanity just take it for what it is and respect boundaries . Make sure your partner is on the same level with you when it comes to sex . If you are a level 9 on the freak meter do not marry a level 5 or below . If you do be prepared to come down to her level or cheat .

Family - the average Nigerian woman expects you to take care of her family from time to time in one way or the other ...draw the line according to your capacity .

Life goals - Be clear about where you are going in life and see if they support you . if your partner is not an entrepreneur or more like a salary inclined person be careful and expose her to your world if it's the other way do the same . be open with your finances . Trust me the day you die you die you do not want her to start running around like a headless chicken looking for money .

Children - don't let anyone steamroll you into having children if you can't afford to ...we men need to stop this attitude of making babies we can't​ afford to feed . Make sure you are clear on how many kids you want and do not ...I repeat do not exceed that number . Three is the maximum .

Conflict resolution - make sure your partner is emotionally experienced and intelligent to say I'm sorry and move on . You must learn to forgive and forget . Your wife go do you many things that will make you want to run her over with your car and vice versa just forgive and do your best .

My dude it's an adventure many have entered and some failed while some people succeeded . Nobody has a perfect marriage .

If you think you are ready take your partner to justice Idowu's court at igbosherie Lagos high court and sit down and watch divorce proceedings and just note the mistakes that people make .

Even if you do all this still might not go according to plan .

Marriage is a Ponzi scheme and the best thing in life at the same time ...those who take advantage of the system will enjoy it .

All the best .

Tiri gbosa!!! Gbosa Gbosa Gbosa........
The part of wife frustrating one is just funny
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by efficiencie(m): 8:30pm On Jun 05, 2017
Perspectives:

What are those things that can convince a person to tie a knot without regretting later in the future?

Are there signs that should be looked out for?

GOD created two GOD-like persons, Adam and Eve, bonded them via marriage...and though they messed up, they remained together! For marriage to last, the parties involved must be GOD-like and when I say GOD-like their lives must be characterized by the FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT listed in Galatians 5:22-23 ...else, marriage could be hell itself!
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 05, 2017
LalaLushness:

Yes o ..
lol didn't know you brought the note book .. yeye guy grin

Lolzz cheesy
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2017
1bkaye:

Lool yeah emotional stability helps too, aww you may find someone that changes your mind wink or not tongue

Money is a true love of mine tooo lol
it's better I don't sef I will just be a Mumu and hapless romantic, prevention is better than cure undecided
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Typewriter(m): 8:41pm On Jun 05, 2017
@topic
all you need is prayers and luck. no woman or man that is 100% reliable.
but make sure your would be partner is
1 Hardworking
2 Less talkative.
3. has personal ambition s/he wish to pursue with serious effort in that direction.
4. healthy and fertile and free from known marital and reproductive issues like
( SS. AS, monthly, period, physical appearance e.g thin turn fat, mood swing, hot temper, social class, tribal and racial sentiments etc)

don't forget those simple manners too. e.g cleanliness, truthful is simple day to day affairs good cook must for he/r yes both parties.
and both should know how to hand their parents to stay away from too much and @topic
all you need is prayers and luck. no woman or man that is 100% reliable.
but make sure your would be partner is
Hardworking
less talkative.
has personal ambition s/he wish to pursue with serious effort in that direction.

don't forget those simple manners too. e.g cleanliness, truthful is simple day to day affairs good cook must for he/r yes both parties.
and both should know how to hand their parents to stay away from too much and undue interferences.

but above all pray for luck and blessing from above!
but above all pray for luck and blessing from above!

be ready to quit if your life is no longer secure from the fight that may become the new normal.
abusive marriage is deadly, know when and how to quit.

thanks
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by ehinja: 8:42pm On Jun 05, 2017
Marriage is all about COMPROMISES.

Being able to meet your partner half way even when you dont feel like it.
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
Davidgrey:
Take away "love" from your ideal equation(your opinion) and you have a purposeless union

Asides procreation the basic reason why people come together and bond is "love"

Love is not an optional element, it's the core element of any union

Financial stability, Personality, Respect, Trust are necessary but people tend "choose their importance" to their relationships at varying values

There is nothing(Financial stability, Personality, Respect, Trust) that love cant overcome and this has been proven over centuries factual "social evidences"
Didn't say it wasn't necessary, said it wasn't enough to be the only reason to get married. It depends on what the individuals want from the union to be honest
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2017
Piiko:
it's better I don't sef I will just be a Mumu and hapless romantic, prevention is better than cure undecided
Lool you think so? Preventing it is easier said than done, good luck cheesy

1 Like

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2017
Pemmy15:

I don't completely agree...guess I'll remain optimistic despite the logarithmical and linear "facts". I do agree with your last paragraph... definitely outline your plan for a married life and how you will handle stressors. Sacrifice and commitment are key in addition to love...even in marriages of yesterday there was love...just wasn't the only thing.

Dint get me wrong, love is important, but it should not be the determining factor for marriage.
What are you looking for in marriage, if you don't achieve it, are you and your spouse willing to start all over again to make it work.
Love is an emotion and it fluctuates.

1 Like

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by bitcoinvin(m): 8:53pm On Jun 05, 2017
tobianthony:
When it comes to marriage first things first you need to know yourself and you need to be painfully realistic with yourself .

Finances - very very key ... Ask your partner to write down at least five financial principles they believe in and practice . Nobody has enough money to do what they want all the time it's all about managing resources .

Spirituality - if you guys are not on the same level spiritually you need to resolve this .

Sexuality - everybody more than often cheats one way or the other ...do not let this bug you to the point of insanity just take it for what it is and respect boundaries . Make sure your partner is on the same level with you when it comes to sex . If you are a level 9 on the freak meter do not marry a level 5 or below . If you do be prepared to come down to her level or cheat .

Family - the average Nigerian woman expects you to take care of her family from time to time in one way or the other ...draw the line according to your capacity .

Life goals - Be clear about where you are going in life and see if they support you . if your partner is not an entrepreneur or more like a salary inclined person be careful and expose her to your world if it's the other way do the same . be open with your finances . Trust me the day you die you die you do not want her to start running around like a headless chicken looking for money .

Children - don't let anyone steamroll you into having children if you can't afford to ...we men need to stop this attitude of making babies we can't​ afford to feed . Make sure you are clear on how many kids you want and do not ...I repeat do not exceed that number . Three is the maximum .

Conflict resolution - make sure your partner is emotionally experienced and intelligent to say I'm sorry and move on . You must learn to forgive and forget . Your wife go do you many things that will make you want to run her over with your car and vice versa just forgive and do your best .

My dude it's an adventure many have entered and some failed while some people succeeded . Nobody has a perfect marriage .

If you think you are ready take your partner to justice Idowu's court at igbosherie Lagos high court and sit down and watch divorce proceedings and just note the mistakes that people make .

Marriage is a Ponzi scheme and the best thing in life at the same time ...those who take advantage of the system will enjoy it .

All the best .

well said...u need to carry champions league back to back like marid.
I can forgive a woman in anything but i c an never forgive a woman who cheats on me...The thought of how the man she is cheating must have hanged her leg will kill me first.
I hate cheating women in my life.
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Mkbryants(m): 8:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
Love is never enough according to Myles Munroe, he clearly stated that love is just a chemical that could change with weather and furthermore love is just like a free flowing energy that comes and goes when it pleases it. Some times love could stay for days, weeks, months, years and much more, but don't be scared when love comes knocking, because at that point in time u feel vulnerable and don't be surprised too when love leaves but rather be glad u had an opportunity to experience it.

I had to bring the above to drive home a point!... Love comes and go when it's pleases it, but what is key in any marriage and any relationship is intimacy " this is an act where by two people trusts each other more and more with their innermost thoughts ( dreams, belief, wishes, fate and much more) and as such shouldn't be mistaken for sexual intercourse which is just a scratch on the surface. However all of these aforementioned can only be achieved when u get married to a friend.

But the BIG question here is why do marriage of several years still fails. The answer is not far fetched as it's due to the uneven fact that most people go into marriage with a heart full of love without properly connecting with the soul of a person which brings about soul mate and oneness which are the first steps to intimacy and as such this is inevitable when u get married to a friend.

P.S: Disclaimers don't get this twisted as love is essential , but intimacy is key. Enough said
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by bitcoinvin(m): 8:57pm On Jun 05, 2017
Nnamdiojukwu:
In the Eastern part of the country,they married for money not for love.
Advice:don't go there.

and in the west,they marry for ritual,not for love..
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by marvin902(m): 8:58pm On Jun 05, 2017
love isn't enough buh its the no 1 thing in marriage

1 Like

Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by ImaIma1(f): 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
tobianthony:

All the best .

Wow!! You have obviously attended marriage counselling...lol. But u missed out communication.
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by praise1705(f): 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2017
Conflict resolution

Tolerance

Sacrifices

Communication

Sex

Goals
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by odinga1of: 9:16pm On Jun 05, 2017
glowryhaa:
Don't build any fantasy.. There will be surprises ... Days will come when that angel won't be in her best behavior ... It's only in marriage you'll discover some flaws ... Understanding, patience, tolerance and contentment is what you need.. My little one kobo

One Bottle of Cold Origin for this dude/girl grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: If Love Is Not Enough For Marriage, What Is? by Jhamzy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 05, 2017
Swissheart:
Love is just not enough

Please tell him what will be enough.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Let's Talk About The Weird Sexual Fantasies We Have Done / Slay Queen In USA And Slay Queen In Nigeria. Pics Added / Meet The Lagos Girl Who Act P*rnography For A Living (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.