Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,166 members, 7,849,602 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:27 AM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25623 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 12:32am On Jan 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

The other time, you said I was inciting people to take up arms and you went ahead to pretend you don't know the implication for peace in Nigeria. When I accused you of being a sly and dangerous Yorubaman, you feigned offense and indignation.

I will repeat my position again for the record.

I know that Biafra is an emotional topic, and I know that we will be successful in such country. However, I would rather we stay in Nigeria because our enemies are latching onto the fear of a Biafra to spread all types of lies about us and to scheme us out of the national equation.
I would advise my people to borrow a leaf from Obafemi Awolowo (a man whose words are his greatest ambush strategy). Focus on the ball. We shall overcome for sure. The same people who sabotaged Biafra will beg us one day for Nigeria's disintegration, and we will fight them (using the Nigerian military of course) to keep Nigeria one.

katsumoto, ngwa back to your schemings.

Ogbu isi adighi ekwe ka ewere mma gaa ya n'azu - a[b] head hunter is always apprehensive when approached from the back (even innocuously) with a machete[/b].

@Onlytruth,

Please try to understand Katsumoto; you don't have to attack him because he's trying to remain civil.

One problem with many Nigerians is that they confuse civility and courtesy for weakness and stupidity.

Katsumoto has, under difficult situations, maintained admirable civility. I respect that more than the rants from becomrrich's assistant, akingberu or something.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:39am On Jan 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

@Onlytruth,

Please try to understand Katsumoto; you don't have to attack him because he's trying to remain civil.

One problem with many Nigerians is that they confuse civility and courtesy for weakness and stupidity.

Katsumoto has, under difficult situations, maintained admirable civility. I respect that more than the rants from becomrrich's assistant, akingberu or something.

Thank you
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:10am On Jan 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

LAFOCUZY,

Thank you for this well-conceived post.

Personally, I respect the Yorubas as an ethnic nation and have many Yoruba friends in the US, the UK and Nigeria. I schooled in the heart of Yorubaland, Ògbómọ̀ṣọ́, and saw nothing but love and respect. I never experienced any insult, overt or covert, by any Yoruba. Except during one event when our school went to Ibadan (Abadina College) for a math/science quiz competition - that was some hilarious shytze! Moving on, I understand every shade of the Yoruba language, perhaps except some oríkìs (praise poetry). I've dated Yoruba chicks and have visited too many Yoruba homes to count. The average Yoruba man is friendly and accommodating. They are relatively lighthearted and moderately tempered.

It is indeed very sad that the Biafran War provided some opportunity for a few selfish Yorubas to capitalize on ethnic differences to portray the Igbos negatively. This tactic has been used by many leaders to further their selfish agendas - German leaders used it in Nazi Germany to kill Jews, Japanese leaders used it against the Chinese to invade Manchuria, Israeli leaders are using it today against Palestinians to oppress them, and the list goes on.

The betrayals, treachery, plunder, deprivations and war crimes committed by the likes of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Benjamin Adekunle, Olusegun Obasanjo, etc. should not be blamed on the average Yoruba man or woman. These characters were working for themselves and would have killed any Yoruba man that was perceived as an obstacle - there was no love lost between Awolowo and S. L. Akintola; Obasanjo did nothing whatsoever to unravel the mystery surrounding Bola Ige's death; etc.

When my dad told us the stories of the Biafran War (since public schools in Nigeria are forbidden from teaching that aspect of Nigeria's history), he made sure to admonish us not to hate any Yoruba or Hausa person because of those events. He said that war is ugly and ugly things happen in every war. I was born and raised in Lagos and grew up with people from various ethnic groups - Igbos, Yorubas, Urhobos, Binis, Isokos, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, and Itsekiris. We all played soccer, organized parties, played chess, chased babes, dated across ethnic groups, went clubbing, rapped (every teenage wanted to be a rapper those days in Lagos) and dreamed about a better Nigeria.

I understand the bitterness about the Biafran War, but I plead with my fellow Igbo brethren to shun "ethnic mudslinging" (as Katsumoto will put it) and try to explore the vast areas of common interest that Ndi-Igbo and Yorubas have. I have seen Igbos and Yorubas work together on many occasions and firmly believe that we can all work together to make Nigeria a livable place.

*Bavaria is a south-eastern German state.

RichyBlack
You are a very funny chap. You inferred that you were an oldman by telling Babapupa that he does not respect an elder. I actually thought you were an old man( older than 45); not realising that you are not that old. Perhaps you said that because you know old Babapupa is. grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 1:28am On Jan 27, 2010
Richyblack
You can’t spoil my name for me please, if you don’t know how to pronoun or call my name doesn’t even say it.
Or else I may charge you for an act of spoonerism, anyway ain’t gotta be scared it’s just an ordinary misdemeanor. Just have to warn your monkey (Onlytraitor) to back off, a lot of Ibos are making head ways in Lagos, we never get mad and we are one family. Many of them have big mansions and are happy with their lives. But someone like OnlyTraitor with his parochial mentality thinks he sees behind a closed door.
I every time, I come to argue on this forum, it’s always between he and I. I know he is the master on YOUTUBE telling the whole how Nigeria hates his people because they are Jews of Africa.

[size=16pt][/size]You put all every blame on Yorubas for your throes.
According to the statistics of major people that governed this great country across all regions.
NE represents 37
NW represents 36
NC represents 35
SS represents 31
SE represents 34
SW represents 35
Why is it that you always talk about Hausa and Yoruba as the people that hold this country backward? Yoruba only has 35 officials at the federal level which is by the same number when compared to the SE.  
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 4:00am On Jan 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

LAFOCUZY,

Thank you for this well-conceived post.

Personally, I respect the Yorubas as an ethnic nation and have many Yoruba friends in the US, the UK and Nigeria. I schooled in the heart of Yorubaland, Ògbómọ̀ṣọ́, and saw nothing but love and respect. I never experienced any insult, overt or covert, by any Yoruba. Except during one event when our school went to Ibadan (Abadina College) for a math/science quiz competition - that was some hilarious shytze! Moving on, I understand every shade of the Yoruba language, perhaps except some oríkìs (praise poetry). I've dated Yoruba chicks and have visited too many Yoruba homes to count. The average Yoruba man is friendly and accommodating. They are relatively lighthearted and moderately tempered.

It is indeed very sad that the Biafran War provided some opportunity for a few selfish Yorubas to capitalize on ethnic differences to portray the Igbos negatively. This tactic has been used by many leaders to further their selfish agendas - German leaders used it in Nazi Germany to kill Jews, Japanese leaders used it against the Chinese to invade Manchuria, Israeli leaders are using it today against Palestinians to oppress them, and the list goes on.

The betrayals, treachery, plunder, deprivations and war crimes committed by the likes of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Benjamin Adekunle, Olusegun Obasanjo,
etc. should not be blamed on the average Yoruba man or woman. These characters were working for themselves and would have killed any Yoruba man that was perceived as an obstacle - there was no love lost between Awolowo and S. L. Akintola; Obasanjo did nothing whatsoever to unravel the mystery surrounding Bola Ige's death; etc.

When my dad told us the stories of the Biafran War (since public schools in Nigeria are forbidden from teaching that aspect of Nigeria's history), he made sure to admonish us not to hate any Yoruba or Hausa person because of those events. He said that war is ugly and ugly things happen in every war. I was born and raised in Lagos and grew up with people from various ethnic groups - Igbos, Yorubas, Urhobos, Binis, Isokos, Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, and Itsekiris. We all played soccer, organized parties, played chess, chased babes, dated across ethnic groups, went clubbing, rapped (every teenage wanted to be a rapper those days in Lagos) and dreamed about a better Nigeria.

I understand the bitterness about the Biafran War, but I plead with my fellow Igbo brethren to shun "ethnic mudslinging" (as Katsumoto will put it) and try to explore the vast areas of common interest that Ndi-Igbo and Yorubas have. I have seen Igbos and Yorubas work together on many occasions and firmly believe that we can all work together to make Nigeria a livable place.

*Bavaria is a south-eastern German state.

Look at this dude doing exactly what he's deceptively campaigning against. You need bitterness and blood transfusion to flush the hidden hate and bitterness out of your system. Who are you trying to fool? You sound like the racist white guy saying I don't hate black people because my best friend is black.

lol @ I respect Yoruba people disclaimer. Please be yourself and quit condescending, very unnecessary.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:09am On Jan 27, 2010
Katsumoto:

RichyBlack
You are a very funny chap. You inferred that you were an oldman by telling Babapupa that he does not respect an elder. I actually thought you were an old man( older than 45); not realising that you are not that old. Perhaps you said that because you know old Babapupa is. grin

Katsumoto,

I ain't that old, LOL. I know Babapupa very well and that chap is a small boy, he just likes annoying me.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:12am On Jan 27, 2010
akigbemaru:

Richyblack
You can’t spoil my name for me please, if you don’t know how to pronoun or call my name doesn’t even say it.
Or else I may charge you for an act of spoonerism, anyway ain’t gotta be scared it’s just an ordinary misdemeanor. Just have to warn your monkey (Onlytraitor) to back off, a lot of Ibos are making head ways in Lagos, we never get mad and we are one family. Many of them have big mansions and are happy with their lives. But someone like OnlyTraitor with his parochial mentality thinks he sees behind a closed door.
I every time, I come to argue on this forum, it’s always between he and I. I know he is the master on YOUTUBE telling the whole how Nigeria hates his people because they are Jews of Africa.

[size=16pt][/size]You put all every blame on Yorubas for your throes.
According to the statistics of major people that governed this great country across all regions.
NE represents 37
NW represents 36
NC represents 35
SS represents 31
SE represents 34
SW represents 35
Why is it that you always talk about Hausa and Yoruba as the people that hold this country backward? Yoruba only has 35 officials at the federal level which is by the same number when compared to the SE.  

akigbemaru,

Just in case you're still living in oblivion, just know that you have no credibility on NL. Your posts are predictable and filled with tribalist rants that nobody even reads them. Just like everybody knows what becomrrich will post before he posts them, we all know what you're about and so can't take you seriously. You've been added to the list of clowns and jesters on NL.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 4:16am On Jan 27, 2010
revolt:

Why do people here repeat that igbos don't have land and should go back forgetting that we own a major part of lag abuja even kano. I don't think any other persons have achieved such feats apart from benins n deltans. Forget you can whine and call us losers but cmon u knw dats a foolish lie. Dumb people lie to themselves.  

Of what joy and pride is it to keep bragging that you own another man's land that you have zero control of when your own is lacking attention and fallowing away?

What are you going to hand over to your future generations? Other people's land/states or your own developed and flourishing, cities, towns and villages?  

You guys need to stop running on empty, shallowness and shortsightedness.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:26am On Jan 27, 2010
babapupa:

Look at this dude doing exactly what he's deceptively campaigning against. You need bitterness and blood transfusion to flush the hidden hate and bitterness out of your system. Who are you trying to fool? You sound like the racist white guy saying I don't hate black people because my best friend is black.

lol @ I respect Yoruba people disclaimer. Please be yourself and quit condescending, very unnecessary. 

Look at this teenage monkey. You definitely don't know me - I only speak my mind.

Every person of any intellect knows that unlike well-identified war criminals among the Yoruba ethnic group, e.g. Benjamin Adekunle, there are men and women of caliber, men and women that I respect no matter the amount of foolishness in your cranium. That list of Yorubas that the world admire is long, longer than that list of bigoted fo.ols and war criminals that you worship.

Simply because a simpleton like you share the same ethnic group with these men and women of honorable repute, does not mean I should tarnish their image in any way.

I know a fo.ol like you will expect me to insult a great mind like Wole Soyinka because id.iots of your type do the same, however, even if you wait till you die and reincarnate a thousand times, that will not happen. Silly as.sfag!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 4:32am On Jan 27, 2010
lol. Omo, save your dry Kalahari story for NL mumu wey no sabi your ways,

lol @ inserting Wole Shoyinka. What's he got to do with your weak rant?

Why take the man's name to prop up our yeye story?

lol @ dude acting disgruntled and cursing like a 2 year old throwing tantrums, talk about typical Igbo rage. who's a f!agot?

You're not only a clueless hate monger, you're a freeking petty bigot too. see as you just dey show your tru color. I know say all that kumbaya na fake and you go still expose ya real self, I just no know say you go show am quick quick,
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 4:43am On Jan 27, 2010
babapupa:

lol. Omo, save your dry Kalahari story for NL mumu wey no sabi your ways,

lol @ inserting Wole Shoyinka. What's he got to do with your weak rant?

Why take the man's name to prop up our yeye story?

lol @ dude acting disgruntled and cursing like a 2 year old throwing tantrums, talk about typical Igbo rage. who's a f!agot?

You're not only a clueless hate monger, you're a freeking petty bigot too. see as you just dey show your tru color. I know say all that kumbaya na fake and you go still expose ya real self, I just no know say you go show am quick quick,

grin grin grin grin

Sorry bro, no kumbaya for your type. People like you do not make the kind of careless statements you make here in public. Na inside your basement all that dey end; go talk am for outside make awon aje okuta ma momi break that your coconut head. grin

Unlike you, I can tell gold from copper, even if they put all of them in one basket.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by akigbemaru: 6:15am On Jan 27, 2010
Babapupa Alju aya, file fun and RichyBlack Ogala make u let am go! We go keep this rant&rave to next time when the next opportunity surfaces.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 6:24am On Jan 27, 2010
akigbemaru:

Babapupa Alju aya, file fun and RichyBlack Ogala make u let am go! We go keep this rant&rave to next time when the next opportunity surfaces.

Ko si wahala.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Remii(m): 7:27am On Jan 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

grin grin grin grin

Sorry bro, no kumbaya for your type. People like you do not make the kind of careless statements you make here in public. Na inside your basement all that dey end; go talk am for outside make awon aje okuta ma momi break that your coconut head. grin

Unlike you, I can tell gold from copper, even if they put all of them in one basket.

Why Nigerians always call each other names, The other day I heared "Gambari nta naama, eran nta eran", grin
Ibo would call Yoruba "Ofe manu"
Hausa would say "beerebe"
Yoruba would call Ibo "yamirin or ajo kuta mamumi"

Yet to non Nigerians same naa ni gbogbo wa, why,why,why
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 27, 2010
Kosovo should just lock this thread and throw the key in the toilet,it's getting boring and boring because these biafra rants will continue to blab all in the name of biafra.
@Richyblack
point of correction.Awolowo,obj and co did not betrayed the igbo generation.your fore-fathers mortgaged their future out of their greed/ selfish interests.stop blaming yoruba for your misfortunes and move ahead.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by RichyBlacK(m): 8:15am On Jan 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Kosovo should just lock this thread and throw the key in the toilet,it's getting boring and boring because these biafra rants will continue to blab all in the name of biafra.
@Richyblack
point of correction.Awolowo,obj and co did not betrayed the igbo generation.your fore-fathers mortgaged their future out of their greed/ selfish interests.stop blaming yoruba for your misfortunes and move ahead.

~Bluetooth,

Since when did blaming Osama bin Laden for 9-11 equivalent to blaming the whole Arabs?

Try to apply elementary logic when reading other people's comments.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by revolt(m): 8:24am On Jan 27, 2010
Liars i don't argue much but don't say that war was fought selfishly. Ok why are you guys now complainin about nigeria and the north holdin us back.a lot of you even suggest break up.The truth is deeply you guys know your leaders sold you all to slavery in the name of half bread is better than none even if it's spoilt. The inventor of tribalism and nigerian genocide. (need not mention his name) decided to serve the north. That was the best time to break this contraption. For those saying marginalisation is a farce by us could someone explain to me why the ports in the east do not work including calabar that faces the sea and would be strategic even as lagos is so congested? If i can get a sane answer i'll ask a few more.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by onyengbu1(m): 9:38am On Jan 27, 2010
revolt:

For those saying marginalisation is a farce by us could someone explain to me why the ports in the east do not work including calabar that faces the sea and would be strategic even as lagos is so congested? If i can get a sane answer i'll ask a few more.

The problem here is that you assumed that Lagos is what it is today ONLY because it has sea port and for that, I will say ask another one or think deeper.

~Bluetooth:

@Richyblack

If you ask me, your so called biafra rant will continue as long as people like you will continue to regard any issue concerning the war raised by any igbo person as biafra rant.
The only reason why igbo people are still bitter about the war is simply because it has never been addressed. Nigeria likes sweeping it under the carpet and thats why it will always sleep under us. Hutu/Tutsi carnage is now history because it was addressed and people who wronged others apologized. They even made their killing fields into some sort of museum where everyone visits. So is South African apartheid. Blacks and whites admitted their wrong doings and apologized to each other.
This war thing will continue to remain with Nigeria as long as we refuse to address it.

The closest Nigeria came to ever touching the war issue was during Oputa panel but rather than pointing out wrong doings and asking perpetrators to apologize, hausa/yoruba representatives were busy trying to prove that the january '66 coup was an igbo coup and that was what caused the war. See where it has left us today.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by revolt(m): 9:59am On Jan 27, 2010
Lag was once the federal capital but is that a good reason for sabotaging all other ports and do you agree with me that calabar would become another commercial city. Is there anything wrong in having more commercial cities rather than loosing money to a congested port. I need an answer not questions. Rhetorical for that matter
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by LAFOCUZY: 11:24am On Jan 27, 2010
revolt:

Lag was once the federal capital but is that a good reason for sabotaging all other ports and do you agree with me that calabar would become another commercial city. Is there anything wrong in having more commercial cities rather than loosing money to a congested port. I need an answer not questions. Rhetorical for that matter

I kind of agree with revolt on this specific comment.

I have always wondered why other ports like calabar and Port harcourt and maybe another one in somewhere oando are not developed. I have been to the ports in lagos; its simply congested, when quite a number of the imported goods go to onitcha and other parts of the country. Why not dredge river niger and have an in land port if we can have a dry dock in lagos. If you have tried to clear your goods from the port in lagos you will understand what I mean.

The answer to these question is simple; no single person in the country's leadership believes in this country; no, not one. The people who do don't get there or are removed the minute they try. These guys are simple minded, greedy folks, who tell all of us how divided we are- that you are igbo or yoruba and create a situation of instability to continue to perpetrate their wicked act. Sometime, please pardon, I think we need to do something really harsh to take away these guys.

I had a discussion with a colleague of mine who is American and we veered towards 419; He said quite frankly that nigeria have intelligent, vibrant and educated young people who must necessarily engage their mind and intuition. It is the responsibility of good government to harness these potentials for good, else, these guys will channel this level of intelligence to something seeming "unproductive"( afterall they have to survive and have a leaving---) however criminal, especially when they see their leaders doing it. That is survival for them; not everyone has the moral capacity to contain this temptation

Friends what do we all do?? That is the big question. I f we do nothing then we all deserve the kind of government we get!!!!! I am ready for any movement that will institute good governance, alleviate the level of poverty in Nigeria by whatever mean possible. If secession is going to achieve this; OK. No point having a big dysfunctional country of largely poor people, although there is no guarantee a smaller country can afterall Haiti is a small country. I am only tired of seeing people who are hard working but poor and some others who do practically nothing but very rich. It pains meee. Nigeria is not land of equal opportunity
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ud4u: 12:10pm On Jan 27, 2010
Nigeria is not one and can never be one, there is no two ways about it
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 12:13pm On Jan 27, 2010
revolt:

I understand what you are driving at. But the problem with your argument is that you think the buffoons that have been ruling us, did it for strategic reasons. There was nothing strategic about the non-development of other cities. There are bad roads everywhere, energy and power resources are almost non-existent. There are no good hospitals in Nigeria because our leaders believe in flying to Europe for check-up and hiring helicopter ambulances in emergencies forgetting that there is currently no means of transport quick enough to get you to Europe when you get a heart attack. Do you know how many of our corrupt leaders have died in those Air ambulances? Several of them but still they do nothing.

The problem with Africa is that she is ruled by visionless and corrupt leaders. Having several functioning ports is not the only requirement for sustainable development. You need a good road infrastructure as well so as to be able to deliver goods to and fro the seaports. Leaders only care about Lagos ports because Nigeria is mainly an importing country and since our corrupt leaders all have houses in Lagos, they concentrate on the port there to be able to receive their cars, pampers, etc. In a country with sound leaders, Nigeria would still be exporting Cocoa, palm kernel, meat, etc and all the seaports at Lagos, Warri, Port Harcourt, and Calabar would be well developed./
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 12:58pm On Jan 27, 2010
LAFOCUZY:

Really its difficult to pass through what these guys have passed through and what their parents may have told them and not feel the way they feel. other parts of the country were in school when these guys were besieged in war. And the treatment today has not changed.

If we look at the issue from their perspective, maybe we can very well see the points of the Gobs. Literature and publications about the war tell clearly that the Bavarian secession from Nigeria was not driven by greed both from survival. Which still happen today

The Yoruba's have also shown friendship; Somewhere in output the Gobs I understand was hidden from Nigerian soldiers. Most of them regained their properties in Lagos unlike in Port Harcourt and other part of the country.

I think I understand how the Ibo feel and perhaps most of us will react differently if we are in their place. I respect this people group for their industry and entrepreneurship.They literally have to fight for everything others get freely. So you quickly and easily see the strong reason for a Bavarian state. The insensitivity of Nigerian leaders, repeated crises in the north exacerbate the situation. The truth is that you have more Ibo clamoring for a Bavarian state today than ever before. And lets not just rule out that possibility because every major crises through history started with these agitation

Its simply unfortunate

I must say that your post contained encouraging words and good understanding of the sources of the socio-political grouses of Biafrans in today’s Nigeria.

However, certain sections of your posts have equally left with me the idea of sarcasm. It could be either honest omission or plain commission of insult to the Biafrans that you consistently written Bavarian for Biafran and Gobs for Igbos.

Other than those fallible commitments, I looked upon you as a Nigerian with intentions of unity if only you are not of Igbo ethnicity or a conniving detractor.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:04pm On Jan 27, 2010
Dede1:

I must say that your post contained encouraging words and good understanding of the sources of the socio-political grouses of Biafrans in today’s Nigeria.

However, certain sections of your posts have equally left with me the idea of sarcasm. It could be either honest omission or plain commission of insult to the Biafrans that you consistently written Bavarian for Biafran and Gobs for Igbos.

Other than those fallible commitments, I looked upon you as a Nigerian with intentions of unity if only you are not of Igbo ethnicity or a conniving detractor.

I think he used the spell-checker without watching. Some spell-checkers uses Bavaria for Biafra.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Mekusxyz: 2:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
Re: Dipo Dina Shot Dead In Ogun State
« #48 on: Today at 02:38:57 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/34076/1/How-Dipo-Dina-was-killed-by-police-chief/Page1.html

According to the police chief, the woman who he simply called Funmi said they and the late politician were going to a river on Agbara road, Ota "for spiritual cleansing" when the killers blocked their vehicle near Winners’ Chapel and shot the late Dina in the abdomen, killing him. He did not elaborate.

Two things that Yorubas are thoroughly familiar with: rituals and women.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2010
LAFOCUZY:

Friends what do we all do?? That is the big question. I f we do nothing then we all deserve the kind of government we get!!!!! I am ready for any movement that will institute good governance, alleviate the level of poverty in Nigeria by whatever mean possible. If secession is going to achieve this; OK. No point having a big dysfunctional country of largely poor people, although there is no guarantee a smaller country can afterall Haiti is a small country. I am only tired of seeing people who are hard working but poor and some others who do practically nothing but very rich. It pains meee. Nigeria is not land of equal opportunity

I respect your perspectives on key Nigerian issues. The bold part of your comment is really at the root of most of Nigeria's problems. I remember that Secretary of State Hilary Clinton specifically mentioned lack of meritocracy in Nigeria as one of the root causes of crisis in Nigeria. If you are a Nigerian, you would realize that this problem is so big that if God does not intervene himself, Nigeria will still be dysfunctional even 100 years from today. Am I optimistic? It depends on how the deprived in Nigeria take it. Since I am Igbo, I would speak from an Igbo perspective (keeping it real). It appears as if everything whenever we forcefully raise the issue of federal character and quota system and all other systems which scheme out qualified Igbo from well deserved opportunity in their country, our opponents raise all types of lies against us - Igbos are greedy, this and that. It never occurs to these opponents of meritocracy that Nigeria is not working precisely because of that, which is Clinton's point.
I remember katsumoto asking me whether I was sure that Igbos were the most qualified for jobs in Nigeria (as if I cared undecided). I don't care who rules me for the next 100 years, provided he is among the best Nigeria has and performs his/her job superbly. Can it ever happen in Nigeria, knowing how some people feel about the ethnic background of some of these best qualified Nigerians? We shall see!
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

I respect your perspectives on key Nigerian issues. The bold part of your comment is really at the root of most of Nigeria's problems. I remember that Secretary of State Hilary Clinton specifically mentioned lack of meritocracy in Nigeria as one of the root causes of crisis in Nigeria. If you are a Nigerian, you would realize that this problem is so big that if God does not intervene himself, Nigeria will still be dysfunctional even 100 years from today. Am I optimistic? It depends on how the deprived in Nigeria take it. Since I am Igbo, I would speak from an Igbo perspective (keeping it real). It appears as if everything whenever we forcefully raise the issue of federal character and quota system and all other systems which scheme out qualified Igbo from well deserved opportunity in their country, our opponents raise all types of lies against us - Igbos are greedy, this and that. It never occurs to these opponents of meritocracy that Nigeria is not working precisely because of that, which is Clinton's point.
I remember katsumoto asking me whether I was sure that Igbos were the most qualified for jobs in Nigeria (as if I cared  undecided). I don't care who rules me for the next 100 years, provided he is among the best Nigeria has and performs his/her job superbly. Can it ever happen in Nigeria, knowing how some people feel about the ethnic background of some of these best qualified Nigerians? We shall see!

It is either you have a poor grasp of basic grammer or you just want/need to be mischievous. You were alluding that if federal character was removed in Nigeria and that people were chosen for posts on credit, the Igbo would come out on top and that, that was also the reason why Igbos were killed in the 60s. Please see below for OnlyTruth's post and the question I put to him, to which I didn't get a response. Can someone please analyse both comments and ascertain how I implied the above? OnlyTruth, you need to desist from these pathetic attempts at discrediting me and creating confusion.

Quote from: Onlytruth on January 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
But I bet you will mind if is it an Igboman  Grin
Anyway on a more serious note, you are being too idealistic. Start by removing quota system and federal character first and allow the most qualified person to get the job. I bet you all other things will fall in line. But in Nigeria, it is not possible. Once you advocate that, it would end up in "iboman is too greedy". Somehow, cries of domination will start ringing out and hatred will start brewing. That is what led to the massacres in the north in the 1950s and 60s. That is where we have been and we have never moved an inch past that.
That is part of why Jonathan is not acting president today.

Katsumoto's response to the above post.
Are you insinuating that the Igbo man will turn out to be the most qualified in most spheres of society?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 5:47pm On Jan 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

@Onlytruth,

@Bro Richy

I wasn't really attacking him, I was responding forcefully to some of his manoeuvrings. Believe me I think through every post before clicking the post button, and whenever I felt remorse, I often went back to make some changes. I really feel that we should be real.

Like you (and I guess most educated Nigerians too) I have mixed up with almost every group in Nigeria. I was born and grew up in the east (from primary to university). I had two best friends at the University of Nigeria (UNN) and one of them is Yoruba from Abeokuta, Ogun state, the other from Akwa Ibom state. I did my youth service in Yorubaland. I have also dated Yoruba babes in the past too grin and my spiritual mentor is a Yoruba man Dr Olukoya.

I had to give that background to demonstrate that I have respect for Yoruba people and have mixed up with them a lot.

Having said that, I am also determined to learn about Nigeria in real ways (not in Utopian visions). I have had friends, relations, and associates schemed out of employment unfairly by Yoruba folks too, and some of them never lived to tell the story. This happened both in government jobs and private companies like oil companies. Unfortunately, some of these bad experiences are snowballed into real bad feelings when one sees some Yoruba folks here denying that a wrong was perpetrated against Igbos both during and after the war. That denial and even gleeful comments from Yorubas here make the healing impossible and sets the stage for a future repeat. Now, am I saying that the words of a few Yourbas here represent the entire view from Yorubaland? Absolutely not. But, we are in an internet age. Those words should never go unchallenged, else they are accepted as truth -by the whole world.

I grew up believing in Nigeria, but started questioning Nigeria when I became a full adult, when I started seeing that simple things weren't (and still aren't) working in Nigeria, and can clearly see why. When I started to study it, I found out that all the root causes of the problem actually led back to the Biafran war. Like you noted, it was not being taught in schools and simply swept under the carpet. I would like to be a political servant in Nigeria soon (I'm working on it), but how can I make a difference to the lives of my people if I have no clue about the real issues they faced? Nairaland has been very helpful in that regard and I'm now getting to the end of my "education" here.

I came here believing in Biafra, but after my lessons here, I now believe that Nigeria will serve the interest of my people best. Knowing Nigeria's past (history has a way of repeating itself), I would advise my people to work towards making sure that Nigeria is INDIVISIBLE, oil or no oil. When oil finishes, I want to ensure that no section of this country opts out. That is my mission going forward.

Much love my brother Richyblack.  cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by LAFOCUZY: 5:47pm On Jan 27, 2010
Katsumoto:

I think he used the spell-checker without watching. Some spell-checkers uses Bavaria for Biafra.

Thanks Katsumoto, I used the spell check, in the output, i actually meant okitipupa. I apologise. Please kool kool temper, its only a mistake. I have no reason to misspell or do anythin insulting of your ethnic inclination.

Again, my apologise
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 6:00pm On Jan 27, 2010
Katsumoto:

It is either you have a poor grasp of basic grammer or you just want/need to be mischievous. You were alluding that if federal character was removed in Nigeria and that people were chosen for posts on credit, the Igbo would come out on top and that, that was also the reason why Igbos were killed in the 60s. Please see below for OnlyTruth's post and the question I put to him, to which I didn't get a response. Can someone please analyse both comments and ascertain how I implied the above? OnlyTruth, you need to desist from these pathetic attempts at discrediting me and creating confusion.

Quote from: Onlytruth on January 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
But I bet you will mind if is it an Igboman  Grin
Anyway on a more serious note, you are being too idealistic. Start by removing quota system and federal character first and allow the most qualified person to get the job. I bet you all other things will fall in line. But in Nigeria, it is not possible. Once you advocate that, it would end up in "iboman is too greedy". Somehow, cries of domination will start ringing out and hatred will start brewing. That is what led to the massacres in the north in the 1950s and 60s. That is where we have been and we have never moved an inch past that.
That is part of why Jonathan is not acting president today.

Katsumoto's response to the above post.
Are you insinuating that the Igbo man will turn out to be the most qualified in most spheres of society?

@Katsumoto

You complain of insults but you thrive in it! What a duplicitous character!  sad
You conveniently left out the response I gave to the bolded part. Why not post that too? Are you afraid it would enervate your point?

You were one of the biggest lessons from nairaland. You simply confirmed a stereotype. You act as if you are sincere, but always any close observer would see past that fake polish. You are sly. That's all.

You earlier alluded that my gender was unclear to you, but I would take that as a compliment. After all, here in the states, it is the preferred way of making your point. One should not be able to discern the gender of a poster because it should be a human point, not a man or woman point.

Like I told my brother Richy, I have learned all I needed to learn from nairaland thanks to folks like you.

You will see less of me going forward.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by LAFOCUZY: 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2010
How would anybody want this to happen again. Take a look at this link and you will realize that whereever is your perspective of argument on this issue- given current arm situation in Nigeria today, massive unemployed youths, level of exposure, information on bomb making, commerce and economic dimension to war etc- this may be more bloody on both sides of the divide especially to some people who may not have the means to get out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ReFoFp0Gs
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by LAFOCUZY: 6:08pm On Jan 27, 2010

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

We Are No Longer Safe In Bayelsa, Igbo Traders Tell Police / Anti-Buhari Protests: Arewa Youths Blast South-West Politicians, To Expose Them / Clement Ikolo Oghenerukevwe: "I Have No Hand In The Killing Of Soldiers"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.