Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me (25406 Views)

Gauck Advised Buhari To Use Illegal Means To Recover Looted Funds -PremiumTimes / Awolowo's Daughter To Achebe: We Are Disappointed / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 4:46pm On Jan 29, 2010
Dede1:

The bolded statement magnifies your inherent stupidity and shows the no-ending empty exaggerations associated with the stock of people that gave rise to you. The closet Awo came to building Lagos was that the city is part of Yoruba land by nature. By the period Lagos was designated as nation’s capital, the city was jealously controlled by the federal government through FCT ministers and they were mostly Fulani or Hausa.

AG or even Akintola’s NNDP never had control of Lagos. The first party named NNDP under the leadership of Macaulay lost the Lagos town council election in 1934/38 to YMN led by Ernest. Okoli. By this time Awo, a street money changer, was a political tug.

It is very funny and intellectually laughable to read all forms of hyperbolic statements about Awo’s achievement including the alleged building of Lagos. The only city Awolowo had power to build anything is Ibadan and I am not surprised that the city’s name does not feature prominently in your misguided and lofty scheme of grandeur.   

Let me inform your lazy arse that the only infrastructure or corporation that should be created to Awolowo’s western region of Nigeria was the formation of WNDC. Believe me; the laurels of WNDC can be counted on your five fingers.

This has got to be the lousiest and unintelligent rubbish I've ever read.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

So the igbo men who are rich indirectly from Niger Delta oil, they no be thief? Or is oil also their ancestral rights grin

If I remember correctly Nigeria map flickers included Imo/Abia as part of Niger Delta and they are both hugely oil producing state, plus many Igbo towns in Rivers, Cross River, Delta that are oil producing state. Just tell, from OBJ to Abiola, others who can say how they come from poverty ridden family to become overnight billionaire? Which bank lend them money to start life and what were they doing with the money, so that all of can follow suite. Everything in Nigeria is all about oil and non of them has a drop oil from their towns or villages.

The likes of Orji Kalu despite his corruption in govt but at least he can easily lay his hand on what he has done in private life outside govt to make a lot of money, even from his student life days in Maiduguri where distribute top quality furnitures he bought very cheap in Aba.

Arthur Nzeribe is well known all over the world as arm dealer, own Insurance company in the U.K even in the 70s, once own 50 percent of Charlton Athletic football club in the 80s.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 6:02pm On Jan 29, 2010
babapupa:

Stating facts and concerns are 2 different things. Pick one and lets take it from there, or just prove me wrong instead of asking questions.

No you are not stating fact but stating the obvious. Who in his right mind will have problem in this modern world that someone has come to develop his land or his own nation, so to speak? The likes of you kept saying Igbo are developing other part of Nigeria, which we are also told is our country too and you are not happy about it and according to you, you want them to go home and that is a fact in your estimation. Where is home exactly? Cameroon or Gabon if I amy ask you?

How much did OBJ and his inept govt spent junketing the globe trying as they say, to bring investors? But here you are, Igbos investing in the same country you killed them in order that they should be part of it and you are not happy too. Tell me any rich nation today or in the ancient past that had created their world sitting at home? Is it the the Greeks, Babylonians, Roman, British Empire or more recently Americans, Chinese or even the Japanese.

Igbos are too wise and sophsiticated to sit at home, if there is anywhere in the world money is there t o make, like the Americans, Chinese, British, recently Indian are doing, we will be there including your own towns and villages. Bob Marley told his enemies once that they will be tired to see his face.
When you forcefully brought us back into Nigeria, probably you didn't realise what you are letting yourselves into. From 1970, we resoved that we will use our business acumen but legal or underhand to conquere Nigeria and that is exactly what we are doing. If you don’t like it, call referendum tomorrow.

If you don't like it too, blame your fathers for fighting against Biafra and forcing us back into Nigeria. You can’t beat a child and also push the child not to cry.
When El Rufai was sounding alarm to his masters indirectlly without being asked that Igbos now owe 70% of Abuja, he knows exactly what he was doing because no one asked him for that statistics. As long we are part of that Geographical statement called Nigeria, we will be in your faces whether you like it or not because you asked for it and now got it. No amount of backmail of go and develop your home own towns will change anything.
Its funny you don't tend to tell or even call on South African telecom companies now busy looting Nigeria to go back to South Africa or the oil companies but you are telling a citizen of a country to go back to where you never told us.

We are going nowhere very soon. If you wonder how we spend the cash, please come to the East during festive seasons. i think that will even make you to jump into the River Niger on your way back.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 6:07pm On Jan 29, 2010
babapupa:

This has got to be the lousiest and unintelligent rubbish I've ever read.

Of course, it will appear rubbish to you because you are uneducated troll. I could not believe for a moment that you can even read.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 6:12pm On Jan 29, 2010
Eziachi:

No you are not stating fact but stating the obvious. Who in his right mind will have problem in this modern world that someone has come to develop his land or his own nation, so to speak? The likes of you kept saying Igbo are developing other part of Nigeria, which we are also told is our country too and you are not happy about it and according to you, you want them to go home and that is a fact in your estimation. Where is home exactly? Cameroon or Gabon if I amy ask you?

How much did OBJ and his inept govt spent junketing the globe trying as they say, to bring investors? But here you are, Igbos investing in the same country you killed them in order that they should be part of it and you are not happy too. Tell me any rich nation today or in the ancient past that had created their world sitting at home? Is it the the Greeks, Babylonians, Roman, British Empire or more recently Americans, Chinese or even the Japanese.

Igbos are too wise and sophsiticated to sit at home, if there is anywhere in the world money is there t o make, like the Americans, Chinese, British, recently Indian are doing, we will be there including your own towns and villages. Bob Marley told his enemies once that they will be tired to see his face.
When you forcefully brought us back into Nigeria, probably you didn't realise what you are letting yourselves into. From 1970, we resoved that we will use our business acumen but legal or underhand to conquere Nigeria and that is exactly what we are doing. If you don’t like it, call referendum tomorrow.

If you don't like it too, blame your fathers for fighting against Biafra and forcing us back into Nigeria. You can’t beat a child and also push the child not to cry.
When El Rufai was sounding alarm to his masters indirectlly without being asked that Igbos now owe 70% of Abuja, he knows exactly what he was doing because no one asked him for that statistics. As long we are part of that Geographical statement called Nigeria, we will be in your faces whether you like it or not because you asked for it and now got it. No amount of backmail of go and develop your home own towns will change anything.
Its funny you don't tend to tell or even call on South African telecom companies now busy looting Nigeria to go back to South Africa or the oil companies but you are telling a citizen of a country to go back to where you never told us.

We are going nowhere very soon. If you wonder how we spend the cash, please come to the East during festive seasons. i think that will even make you to jump into the River Niger on your way back.

I asked for facts, not your sad laundry list den say den say and igbo me too thesis. Geezz.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by babapupa: 6:13pm On Jan 29, 2010
Dede1:

Of course, it will appear rubbish to you because you are uneducated troll. I could not believe for a moment that you can even read.

What else is new, nothing but same meaningless rubbish I guess.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by LAFOCUZY: 6:32pm On Jan 29, 2010
You guys, still on this?? . I am waiting to see the winner of this debate,

I have been to a number of towns or perhaps you might to call them villages in the east such as abiriba, item , ohufia, arochuku and some places in newi , please forgive if I spelt the names wrongly. To my utter amazement those places are quite developed--in terms of residential buildings as if some bunch of folks are competing for the house with best architectural design. The surprising thing is that they spend less than a month in these houses and the road to some of these places are so bad apart from some community help projects some of the roads could simply be classified as impassible.

I think they should build more industries, the industries in aba, onitcha and newi are all folding up and turned into warehouses
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 6:37pm On Jan 29, 2010
babapupa:

What else is new, nothing but same meaningless rubbish I guess.

Nothing is more meaningless than a laughable claim that Awolowo built Lagos. I could not recall a Yoruba person appointed as minister of Lagos when it was FCT. I wondered aloud why Awolowo did not perform the same magic in Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Ife, Abeokwuta, Akure and Owo as he did in Lagos.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 10:04pm On Jan 29, 2010
LAFOCUZY:

I have been to a number of towns or perhaps you might to call them villages in the east such as abiriba, item , ohufia, arochuku and some places in newi , please forgive if I spelt the names wrongly. To my utter amazement those places are quite developed--in terms of residential buildings as if some bunch of folks are competing for the house with best architectural design. The surprising thing is that they spend less than a month in these houses and the road to some of these  places are so bad apart from some community  help projects some of the roads could simply be classified as impassible.

I think they should build more industries, the industries in aba, onitcha and newi are all folding up and turned into warehouses

You are somewhat right. If you think you have seen competing architectural designed houses in Igboland based on the mentioned areas, please take a further trip to the towns of Awka Etiti, Agulu, Ojoto, Nkwerre, Amaifeke, Isu Njaba, Abagana, Awkuzu, Okwelle, Abor Mbaise, Nri and many other towns in Igbo land.
Some people sit in their villages an imagine what outside their local government will look like and then conclude in their mind, ignorantly that every place is like their kindred. Many of my Yoruba folks that harps on about Lagos knew next to nothing about Lagos, they always talk about.
Some of them you can tell their idea of Lagos is Murtala Mohammed airport, while on transit to London to pollute Thamesmead and Peckham.

The idea of building factory is not the only merit of economic development. We are not stupid. Who will channel his money into building factory where the nation cannot boast of 5 hours of electricity in a day? Manufacturing in Nigeria is long dead. My family use to have a ceramic factory around the Ogbo hill area in Aba. A 1974 joint venture between my father/brother with a Dutch company, but it has to be closed ten years ago because the environment in Nigeria is never conducive for business of manufacturing.
And one of the things the Dutch partners then always complain about was lack of functioning ports in nearby Port Harcourt, Warri or non deep see port in Onitsha that happen to be the show depot for the factory and the lack of international airport in the East.
Importing materials from Lagos ports to manufacture in Igbo hinterland is an economic/manufacturing non starter as I can see it, due to high cost and high risk of inland transportation of those materials to the factory.

Govt in Abuja will, through their inept policies encouraged alternative imports? Like every sensible business person, no Igbo business mogul will not put his money into something based on sentiment unless you decide to gamble. Igbo businessmen will industrialise Igboland when the condition suits to do so. Have you seen how we have dominated Haulage and Coach (luxury buses) industry? It is because, condition is very favourable and its an area you don’t need federal govt’s help or beg to make it work.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ezeagu(m): 10:32pm On Jan 29, 2010
Eziachi:

You are somewhat right. If you think you have seen competing architectural designed houses in Igboland based on the mentioned areas, please take a further trip to the towns of Awka Etiti, Agulu, Ojoto, Nkwerre, Amaifeke, Isu Njaba, Abagana, Awkuzu, Okwelle, Abor Mbaise, Nri and many other towns in Igbo land.
Some people sit in their villages an imagine what outside their local government will look like and then conclude in their mind, ignorantly that every place is like their kindred. Many of my Yoruba folks that harps on about Lagos knew next to nothing about Lagos, they always talk about.
Some of them you can tell their idea of Lagos is Murtala Mohammed airport, while on transit to London to pollute Thamesmead and Peckham.

The idea of building factory is not the only merit of economic development. We are not silly. Who will channel his money into building factory where the nation cannot boast of 5 hours of electricity in a day? Manufacturing in Nigeria is long dead. My family use to have a ceramic factory around the Ogbo hill area in Aba. A 1974 joint venture between my father/brother with a Dutch company, but it has to be closed ten years ago because the environment in Nigeria is never conducive for business of manufacturing.
And one of the things the Dutch partners then always complain about was lack of functioning ports in nearby Port Harcourt, Warri or non deep see port in Onitsha that happen to be the show depot for the factory and the lack of international airport in the East.
Importing materials from Lagos ports to manufacture in Igbo hinterland is an economic/manufacturing non starter as I can see it, due to high cost and high risk of inland transportation of those materials to the factory.

Govt in Abuja will, through their inept policies encouraged alternative imports? Like every sensible business person, no Igbo business mogul will not put his money into something based on sentiment unless you decide to gamble. Igbo businessmen will industrialise Igboland when the condition suits to do so. Have you seen how we have dominated Haulage and Coach (luxury buses) industry? It is because, condition is very favourable and its an area you don’t need federal govt’s help or beg to make it work.

Amidst all this money chasing, the Igbo need to remember to teach their children basic Igbo. Once that root is lost, the nation is lost. . . . .
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by ayettymama(f): 10:34pm On Jan 29, 2010
mmmm interesting

is this a book??

where can i get it from??
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by henry101(m): 11:00pm On Jan 29, 2010
LAFOCUZY:

I have been to a number of towns or perhaps you might to call them villages in the east such as abiriba, item , ohufia, arochuku and some places in newi , please forgive if I spelt the names wrongly. To my utter amazement those places are quite developed--in terms of residential buildings as if some bunch of folks are competing for the house with best architectural design. The surprising thing is that they spend less than a month in these houses and the road to some of these places are so bad apart from some community help projects some of the roads could simply be classified as impassible.

I wonder if there is any town in nigeria that can match the "sophisticated" buildings in Abiriba.
That place is completely developed by private individuals.
The place my brother is out of nigeria.
Was amazed went I visited the town two years ago.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 1:59am On Jan 30, 2010
Dede1:

The bolded statement magnifies your inherent stupidity and shows the no-ending empty exaggerations associated with the stock of people that gave rise to you. The closet Awo came to building Lagos was that the city is part of Yoruba land by nature. By the period Lagos was designated as nation’s capital, the city was jealously controlled by the federal government through FCT ministers and they were mostly Fulani or Hausa.

AG or even Akintola’s NNDP never had control of Lagos. The first party named NNDP under the leadership of Macaulay lost the Lagos town council election in 1934/38 to YMN led by Ernest. Okoli. By this time Awo, a street money changer, was a political tug.

It is very funny and intellectually laughable to read all forms of hyperbolic statements [b]about Awo’s achievement including the alleged building of Lagos. [/b]The only city Awolowo had power to build anything is Ibadan and I am not surprised that the city’s name does not feature prominently in your misguided and lofty scheme of grandeur.   

Let me inform your lazy arse that the [b]only infrastructure or corporation that should be created to Awolowo’s western region [/b]of Nigeria was the formation of WNDC. Believe me; the laurels of WNDC can be counted on your five fingers.

Dede1/Babapupa
Dede you are wrong on your assertions. Before Lagos state was created in May 1967, some parts of Lagos were part of the Western Region. Lagos as the FCT was a very small portion of present day Lagos State. If you look at the Industrial estates listed by Babapupa, they were all under the Western region except for maybe Apapa. The parts of Lagos under the FCT were Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lagos Island, Obalende, Apapa. Anyone who knows Lagos very well will agree with me that the metropolitan areas of Lagos was bigger than the FCT administered Lagos.
See below

Lagos State was created on May 27, 1967 by virtue of State (Creation and Transitional Provisions) Decree No. 14 of 1967, which restructured Nigeria’s Federation into 12 states. Prior to this, Lagos Municipality had been administered by the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Lagos Affairs as the regional authority, while the Lagos City Council (LCC) governed the City of Lagos. Equally, the metropolitan areas (Colony Province) of Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry were administered by the Western Region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_State

I list them again
Mushin alone has 4 industrial estates,

Matori Industrial Estate — (Banking, shoes, furniture, Engineering products,Media & Telecommunication,foods and beverage Industries),

Ilupeju Industrial Estate — (Banking, Engineering products, cosmetics,foods and beverage Industries),

Aswani Industrial Estate — (Textiles Industries)

Ilasamaja-Isolo Industrial Estate — in which steel and aluminum products, furniture, concrete, clothing, plastics, textiles, beverages and shoes are produced.

And we still have Apapa, Amuwo, Isolo and Ikorodu industrial estates.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 4:10pm On Jan 30, 2010
Katsumoto:

Dede1/Babapupa
Dede you are wrong on your assertions. Before Lagos state was created in May 1967, some parts of Lagos were part of the Western Region. Lagos as the FCT was a very small portion of present day Lagos State. If you look at the Industrial estates listed by Babapupa, they were all under the Western region except for maybe Apapa. The parts of Lagos under the FCT were Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Lagos Island, Obalende, Apapa. Anyone who knows Lagos very well will agree with me that the metropolitan areas of Lagos was bigger than the FCT administered Lagos.
See below

Lagos State was created on May 27, 1967 by virtue of State (Creation and Transitional Provisions) Decree No. 14 of 1967, which restructured Nigeria’s Federation into 12 states. Prior to this, Lagos Municipality had been administered by the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Lagos Affairs as the regional authority, while the Lagos City Council (LCC) governed the City of Lagos. Equally, the metropolitan areas (Colony Province) of Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Ikorodu, Epe and Badagry were administered by the Western Region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos_State

I list them again
Mushin alone has 4 industrial estates,

Matori Industrial Estate — (Banking, shoes, furniture, Engineering products,Media & Telecommunication,foods and beverage Industries),

Ilupeju Industrial Estate — (Banking, Engineering products, cosmetics,foods and beverage Industries),

Aswani Industrial Estate — (Textiles Industries)

Ilasamaja-Isolo Industrial Estate — in which steel and aluminum products, furniture, concrete, clothing, plastics, textiles, beverages and shoes are produced.

And we still have Apapa, Amuwo, Isolo and Ikorodu industrial estates.

I have no stomach for euphoric grandstand or unfounded scheme of grandeur such as the erroneous arrogation of building of Lagos to Awolowo. Nobody is disputing the fact that Lagos is part of western region of Nigeria and nobody would argue against the fact that Abuja is part of northern region of Nigeria or in fact part of Niger State.

If Kaduna was once FCT, I bet that Ahamadu Bello would have been credited with the wonderful growth in that state.

Men such as Odimegwu Ojukwu had commenced the development of Lagos when Awolowo was a political tug. For the sake of posterity, after the 1951 regional election, Awo was not the premier as the regions have no regional powers until 1956 constitution conference. I guess Awolowo became the western region premier after 1956 regional and federal elections.

How on earth did Awolowo’s government build Lagos in 3 years and left the Ibadan the regional headquarter in a state of junk? Be mindful that Awo’s hold on the western region ended after 1959 federal election when the respected politician went to Lagos to become an opposition leader. By 1962, Awo headed to the prison. The time span has proven not to be an ally of Awo in terms of building Lagos. I guess that some demented and misguided disciples of Awo should stop exaggerating the achievements of the political figure.

I resided in Lagos in the 70s and earlier 80s, I must say that one of industrialists that developed Ilupeju industrial estate was not Awo but one Dr. Eneh of Ozidies Industries.

I repeat that it is a euphoric joke to insinuate that Awolowo developed Lagos. The economic and corporate brainchild of Awolowo was WNDC and I can count on my fingers the achievements of such corporation and Lagos is not one of them.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Katsumoto: 5:15pm On Jan 30, 2010
Dede1:

I have no stomach for euphoric grandstand or unfounded scheme of grandeur such as the erroneous arrogation of building of Lagos to Awolowo. Nobody is disputing the fact that Lagos is part of western region of Nigeria and nobody would argue against the fact that Abuja is part of northern region of Nigeria or in fact part of Niger State.

If Kaduna was once FCT, I bet that Ahamadu Bello would have been credited with the wonderful growth in that state.

Men such as Odimegwu Ojukwu had commenced the development of Lagos when Awolowo was a political tug. For the sake of posterity, after the 1951 regional election, Awo was not the premier as the regions have no regional powers until 1956 constitution conference. I guess Awolowo became the western region premier after 1956 regional and federal elections.

How on earth did Awolowo’s government build Lagos in 3 years and left the Ibadan the regional headquarter in a state of junk? Be mindful that Awo’s hold on the western region ended after 1959 federal election when the respected politician went to Lagos to become an opposition leader. By 1962, Awo headed to the prison. The time span has proven not to be an ally of Awo in terms of building Lagos. I guess that some demented and misguided disciples of Awo should stop exaggerating the achievements of the political figure.

I resided in Lagos in the 70s and earlier 80s, I must say that one of industrialists that developed Ilupeju industrial estate was not Awo but one Dr. Eneh of Ozidies Industries.

I repeat that it is a euphoric joke to insinuate that Awolowo developed Lagos. The economic and corporate brainchild of Awolowo was WNDC and I can count on my fingers the achievements of such corporation and Lagos is not one of them.

If you read my post again, you will observe that I did not mention Awolowo anywhere there. My post was aimed at refuting the erroneous perception that all of Lagos was developed by the Federal Government. For you information, Awolowo was premier from 1954 to 1959. How are you able to call Awo a political thug in one sentence and a respected politician in another?

Can you enlighten me on how Odumegwu Ojukwu developed Lagos? Or how Dr Eneh developed Ilupeju Industrial Estate? I think you are confusing beneficiaries of infrastructure with policy makers.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Dede1(m): 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2010
Katsumoto:

If you read my post again, you will observe that I did not mention Awolowo anywhere there. My post was aimed at refuting the erroneous perception that all of Lagos was developed by the Federal Government. For you information, Awolowo was premier from 1954 to 1959. How are you able to call Awo a political thug in one sentence and a respected politician in another?

Can you enlighten me on how Odumegwu Ojukwu developed Lagos? Or how Dr Eneh developed Ilupeju Industrial Estate? I think you are confusing beneficiaries of infrastructure with policy makers.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, I am not interested in counting beans but to refute to the best of my ability the inaccurate accounts of few deluded minds . During the 20s and 30s political schemes of the protectorates that forged into what is called Nigeria, Awo was a political tug and street money changer. Having said that, I have always admired how Awo charted his political rise. Yes, Awo remains my political mentor.

From 1951 to 1956, regional political leaders are not regarded as premiers because the regions did not have self-rule regional powers. It was after 1956 constitutional conference that regional powers were granted to the regions and saw the regional election of 1956. In addition, regional indigenous governors were appointed to replace the British. 

Either as policy maker or as beneficiary of infrastructures surrounding Lagos, Awolowo was never a major factor. The British took control of EKo (Lagos) in 1861 and managed the affairs of Lagos till nationalistic movements of 1920s. 

Again, men like Odimegwu Ojukwu and Majekudumi(sp) single-handled built Lagos wharf  in conjunctions with Britsh when Awo was not even conceived.

I remembered when Ilupeju had not roads and one of the industrialists that paved the way in the estate was Dr. Eneh.

What happened to Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ife, Ogbomosho, Akure, Ijebu-Ode and Owo to mention but a few? Please inform me about industrial accomplishments of WNDC which was the so-called brainchild of Awolowo’s western regional government?
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 01, 2010
Very sad to observe that most non Igbos always gloat over the setbacks that Igbos suffered during the civil war. Why cannot the killing of 30,000 innocent Igbos who knew nothing about Nzeogwu's coup not be condemned by any sane human being. These same people will vilify the Hutus for the masacre of tutsi's. But back home they will support the likes of the Hutus just for the short term advantage it gives their tribe. The chicken will always come to roost.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 10:51pm On Feb 01, 2010
babapupa:

The blind and foolish arrogance is not only ridiculously silly, it's dangerously distracting and doesn't translate to any thing on the ground , especially when we all know the facts.

Yoruba people sure have their own problems, but I don't see them running around blaming the moon and sun for their problems, yelling every day and night that they are better than other people, that without Yoruba people other folks are doomed.

I just think some Igbo folks should be able to curb their insecurities and coexist  peacefully without the childish desire to make silly claims about some delusional and unfounded superiority.
On one breath you accused the IGBO people of arrogance with a superiority traits and on the other side within seconds you accused the same superiority people of suffering from inferiority and that you wanted a debate on who is better during the 60s because you wanted to prove you are better than them.

It seems what you are accusing someone is actually what you are romanticising about in your quest for compare and contrast. In one of your past posts, you did said that when your ancestors were building empires, that Igbo opposite are living on the trunks of tree with monkeys. That is hardly a statement of humbleness or someone who thinks someone else has superiority complex.

Have you heard your brothers or even yourself telling us how much every centimetre in Ekiti produces professor, that we are bunch of traders. That is not what someone is doesn’t think he is superior says. Is it?

Whether anybody likes it or not, whether you call it arrogance or superiority, ordinary Igbo man has surpassed the expectation of every other Nigerians based on what becomes of us on 15th January 1979. They were laughing at our anguish, our unclothedness, our helplessness, our bloated stomach, our ravaged lives stooped in an unbelievable poverty. They cheered as they enjoy our past sweats as war booty, from banks to street mortars/bricks.

So to believe that an Igbo race today in Nigeria controls a vast majority of Nigerian micro economy by miles is something every Igbo man should shout to the heavens, no matter what people like you calls it because only people like me knew where we were on that faithful day in 970. You have no idea.
It was an unbelievable feat and achievement from having just 20 Naira per every family in 1970 to where we are today. So who will give f**k what you think we are?

You will do the same if you were in our shoes. It is that same arrogant & superiority trait of never to beg and never die attitude that got us where we are today. In 1970, we were like someone running a marathon, but his competitors were deliberately given a ten miles head start and he managed not only to pull level, pulling ahead among ordinary folks of the population. He is bound to beat his chest in pride, no matter what anyone says. Call it whatever name. It is experience that makes people or group what they are and shapes their attitudes to life. In 1970, everywhere we looked, what e saw is a dark long tunnel and utter hopelessness. No one helped, but rather we were ravaged, looted, despoiled and left to totter, but our parent rejected a life of begging and fought back and we owe them a great gratitude because non you ever thought we will ever have mouth again, let alone to talk. So who cares?

I don’t believe in superiority of any group within Nigeria and beyond but there is no doubt that every group has a special tunnel of talent, and do whatever you can to that tunnel, they will always emerged on the other side better. That is not arrogance, its God given. And both you and I has it.

Tell me in history where at some point the big empires or civilizations from the Assyrian to the present Anglo-American powers has not been called arrogant? Most successful sport teams or person are always called arrogant but if you want to be successful, you have to have this confidence and that confidence is what people like you can’t understand or stand and they will label it arrogant.
I think many Igbos, based on their past sufferings from experience of brutal war, man inhumanity to his fellow man, has managed to acquire protective confidence in abundance and it has become their survival strategy inside the cooking pot called Nigeria. And it has been passed from fathers to sons.

Igbos are not arrogant, they viewed with suspicion, threatened, on edge. So to survive, they needed to be the way they are and to most of you, it arrogance and the day we lose it, that day we are a finished RACE.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Eziachi: 11:39pm On Feb 01, 2010
reporter?:

You missed:
Oluyole Industrial Estate in Ibadan, one of the largest in West Africa
Costain Industrila Estate, Lagos

If there is all these industrial kini ko just in the West alone, why is it that Nigeria even import air they breath from abroad. Can you name what this product this industrial estate chuns out? Mapping out Industrial estate can be done by anyone or anywhere and that doesn't translate into producing anything.
There is a place in ONITSHA called Okpoko, it's full of low cost housing by the last I knew it. It has no factories of industrial estate but the fact remains that the population of Okpoko who works from their living rooms and kitchen probably produced 50 percents of local shoes and jewels they wear in Nigeria. So the few things produced in nigeria are done outside your so called industrial estate, whih is a name used by those in power to acquire public lands for themselves, but doesn't actually have a working factories in them.

Another thing is the fact that some people claiming that Chief Awo's western govt developed Lagos. That is a total lack of knowledge or absolute ignorance of what use to obtain with Lagos.
Lagos in the 60s is exactly as Abuja is today and no counted as part of the west in governmental terms but as a federal territory with it's own govt, adminstered by the minister of Lagos (Shagari's father) and later governors (eg Mobolaji JOHNSON).

It is just like in 40 years time, someone claiming that the governor of Niger state developed Abuja.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by vicenzo(m): 4:19am On Oct 31, 2010
igbos were given 20 pounds after d war yet they are the richest people in nigeria today awolowo was the hunter then but today his tribesmen are languishing in poverty,even in their cities we stil control them,like magicians we are, we have turned 20 pounds into billions of naira and have turned them into tenants in their land we now own 70% of abuja,the strategy is simple,if we cannot fight our way out of nigeria then we must buy nigeria;turn the sons of oduduwa and are arewa into tenants(slaves);before the war we were leading in broadcasting but after the war the men from d west took over but like magicians we are we gave birth to nollywood nourished it until it became the envy of d black world,typical of igbos any metal placed in our hands turns to gold who says we are not special;even obj despite his hatred for igbos knew this hence the emergence of ndukwe,soludo,okonjo,akunyili,ezekwesili of this world during his tenure. As long as nigeria continues shying away from the issues dat led to the civil war which i know is jealousy, nigeria wil remain stagnant,the wise men wil always come from the east.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 4:45am On Oct 31, 2010
vicenzo:

igbos were given 20 pounds after d war yet they are the richest people in nigeria today awolowo was the hunter then but today his tribesmen are languishing in poverty,even in their cities we stil control them,like magicians we are, we have turned 20 pounds into billions of naira and have turned them into tenants in their land we now own 70% of abuja,the strategy is simple,if we cannot fight our way out of nigeria then we must buy nigeria;turn the sons of oduduwa and are arewa into tenants(slaves);before the war we were leading in broadcasting but after the war the men from d west took over but like magicians we are we gave birth to nollywood nourished it until it became the envy of d black world,typical of igbos any metal placed in our hands turns to gold who says we are not special;even obj despite his hatred for igbos knew this hence the emergence of ndukwe,soludo,okonjo,akunyili,ezekwesili of this world during his tenure.      As long as nigeria continues shying away from the issues dat led to the civil war which i know is jealousy, nigeria wil remain stagnant,the wise men wil always come from the east.
sharrp dia,
which arewa did u turn turn to slaves, are u mad angry angry angry
u own 70% of abuja but if nigeria split do u think it will be igboland
if nigeria does not split do u think the hausa would not reclaim there land

to sw
i laff when u talk about nollywood and bullcrip so u think it is igbos that made nollywood  grin grin
it just shows how dumb u are do u know that igbo actors are only 20-30% in nollywood
what about other edo, ijaw, itsekiri and yorubas that are there

do you know that 90% of nollywood movies are done in lagos or abuja (yoruba state, hausa state) look don't decieve urselves to try to get self esteem.
noolywood is just used by us to fool us lot to think u are rich.

u said igbos have houses in abuja and lagos LOL
before the civil war didn't igbos have houses in kano and lagos, and wat happen to them
so NEVER AGAIN TRY TO THINK IGBOS ARE THE MOST INDUSTRIOUS PPL IN NIGERIA BECAUSE THE MONEY PRODUCED BY IGBOS IS NOTHING COMPARE TO OTHER CULTURES. IN FACT TELL ME WHAT IGBO PRODUCE IN NIJA THAT MAKES THEM MORE SPECIAL THAT THE HAUSA AND YORUBA PLS LET ME HEAR your ANSWER
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 6:01am On Oct 31, 2010
alj harem:

sharrp dia,
if nigeria does not split do u think the hausa would not reclaim there land

to sw
i laff when u talk about nollywood and bullcrip so u think it is igbos that made nollywood  grin grin
it just shows how dumb u are do u know that igbo actors are only 20-30% in nollywood
what about other edo, ijaw, itsekiri and yorubas that are there

do you know that 90% of nollywood movies are done in lagos or abuja (yoruba state, hausa state) look don't decieve urselves to try to get self esteem.

before the civil war didn't igbos have houses in kano and lagos, and wat happen to them
so NEVER AGAIN TRY TO THINK IGBOS ARE THE MOST INDUSTRIOUS PPL IN NIGERIA BECAUSE THE MONEY PRODUCED BY IGBOS IS NOTHING COMPARE TO OTHER CULTURES. IN FACT TELL ME WHAT IGBO PRODUCE IN NIJA THAT MAKES THEM MORE SPECIAL THAT THE HAUSA AND YORUBA PLS LET ME HEAR your ANSWER

Sharap dia ewu Hausa! angry angry cool cool

The guy has a simple logic but in your usual gworo chewing idiocy you fail to see his point. undecided
He didn't have to say it 'cos it is SELF EVIDENT. You will serve us whether you like it or not. This is ONE NIGERIA.

Nelson Mandela said that the greatest vengeance one can have on his enemies is to get them to serve him. As long as Nigeria remains( and it shall remain for ever more, Amen! cool cool), you will serve us. You know why? Because we are STRONGER than you. We are also more hard working than you. We are even more intelligent than you.
If you dare try any nonsense tomorrow, you will smell your nyash. angry

Fcking grass-chewing goat. cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 6:04am On Oct 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

The guy has a simple logic but in your usual gworo chewing idiocy you fail to see his point. undecided
He didn't have to say it 'cos it is SELF EVIDENT. You will serve us whether you like it or not. This is ONE NIGERIA.

Nelson Mandela said that the greatest vengeance one can have on his enemies is to get them to serve him. As long as Nigeria remains( and it shall remain for ever more, Amen! cool cool), you will serve us. You know why? Because we are STRONGER than you. We are also more hard working than you. We are even more intelligent than you.

angry angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 6:21am On Oct 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

so him saying igbos are the best and the most talented ppl is right!!!!!
keep dwelling in your in the past and be saying one nigeria
i support one nigeria but igbos just make seem is 2 nigeria
when to talk to an hausa man, they are very very arrogant ppl angry angry angry angry
and yes i am saying most igbos i have seen in nigeria are very very rich, bt ask urself this question, hw did they get this money??

i know u can't answer the question

so now u are crying one nigeria grin grin

l[b]ater it is biafra[/b]

and yet u ppl think u are clever embarassed

shame on you angry angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 8:00am On Oct 31, 2010
alj harem:

so him saying igbos are the best and the most talented ppl is right!!!!!
keep dwelling in your in the past and be saying one nigeria
i support one nigeria but igbos just make seem is 2 nigeria
when to talk to an hausa man, they are very very arrogant ppl angry angry angry angry
and yes i am saying most igbos i have seen in nigeria are very very rich, bt ask urself this question, hw did they get this money??

so now u are crying one nigeria grin grin

l[b]ater it is biafra[/b]

and yet u ppl think u are clever embarassed

shame on you angry angry

Dude, you are just a dumb-a55 goat.

Yes we are saying ONE NIGERIA so that we can make you serve us! Can't you see? We win EITHER WAY. We secede, we win. We stay, we win. Get off your lazy a55 and work. You will not ride Nigeria like a horse again. Gerrit? Igbo man has come to stay. You cannot wish us away. We are YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE.  cool

You won us before, but we are winning you today. And we are only beginning. When we are done, you will not recognize Nigeria again. It will be a whole new nation where MEDIOCRITY [b]serves [/b]MERITOCRACY. The way God himself ordained it.
Learn to live with it.  cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by jason12345: 2:17pm On Oct 31, 2010
onlytruth,

you are a very proud person. grin why are you abusing the hausa guy naw?

what vicenzo said was wrong!! how can my fellow country man say he will turn my western and northern brothers into slaves and you support it. cool.

alteast, i'm glad you have started embracing ONE NIGERIA grin grin
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2010
jason12345:

onlytruth,

what vicenzo said was wrong!! how can my fellow country man say he will turn my western and northern brothers into slaves and you support it. cool.

no leave the him, let him keep saying rubbish angry angry angry angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 9:21pm On Oct 31, 2010
jason12345:

onlytruth,

The "hausa guy" you are defending decided to say things he cannot pull off (obviously out of jealousy ) about Igbo properties in Abuja and I had to speak to him in "goat language".

alj harem:

sharrp dia,
[size=16pt]if nigeria does not split do u think the hausa would not reclaim there land[/size]

He also LIED BOLDLY below:

do you know [size=16pt]that 90% of nollywood movies are done in lagos or abuja ([/size]yoruba state, hausa state) look don't decieve urselves to try to get self esteem.

I don't even want to address this quote below. He can believe whatever he wants. Provided he does not believe that Igbo will ever abandon any property to any group ANYWHERE in Nigeria.

It is obvious that the "hausa guy" is a rabid Igbo hater. His mistake is that everything that will happen again in Nigeria must be like 1967-70. That is where he is WRONG because Abuja will not be abandoned to the so called north if ever Nigeria disintegrates.

It will become Beirut!  cool cool
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 9:34pm On Oct 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

The "hausa guy" you are defending decided to say things he cannot pull off (obviously out of jealousy ) about Igbo properties in Abuja and I had to speak to him in "goat language".

He also LIED BOLDLY below:

I don't even want to address this quote below. He can believe whatever he wants. Provided he does not believe that Igbo will ever abandon any property to any group ANYWHERE in Nigeria.

It is obvious that the "hausa guy" is a rabid Igbo hater. His mistake is that everything that will happen again in Nigeria must be like 1967-70. That is where he is WRONG because Abuja will not be abandoned to the so called north if ever Nigeria disintegrates.

It will become Beirut!  cool cool
angry angry
so been proud is guy
calling others as slaves is alright to say
ibo boy i am not hausa angry angry angry angry angry
who hates ibos i don't hate them angry angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 10:02pm On Oct 31, 2010
alj harem:

angry angry
so been proud is guy
calling others as slaves is alright to say
ibo boy i am not hausa angry angry angry angry angry
who hates ibos i don't hate them angry angry

You don't hate them, but you say this

alj harem:

Why don't you ask how other Nigerians make their money?
Why are you insinuating that Igbo money is tainted money?
Why did you try to lie about Nollywood?
And why do you think that Igbos will abandon their properties or that Hausa will "reclaim their property" in Abuja?

If you are an Igbo lover, we would prefer an open enemy. Nonsense.

By the way, you can be any tribe you want. I don't care.  undecided It doesn't make you any less a bigoted Igbo hater.
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by aljharem(m): 10:25pm On Oct 31, 2010
Onlytruth:

You don't hate them, but you say this

Why don't you ask how other Nigerians make their money?
Why are you insinuating that Igbo money is tainted money?
Why did you try to lie about Nollywood?
And why do you think that Igbos will abandon their properties or that Hausa will "reclaim their property" in Abuja?

If you are an Igbo lover, we would prefer an open enemy. Nonsense.

By the way, you can be any tribe you want. I don't care.  undecided It doesn't make you any less a bigoted Igbo hater.

sharrap dia ahah
u dey craze, who lie about nollywood

why who someone call other group of people slaves to them, are u thinking through ur anus or foot

u igbos are just too proud as a ppl

i don't know hw the yoruba and my brothers accummodiate u in lagos and kano
angry angry angry angry

the only reason why some ppl don't like ibos is because of statements like this angry angry angry
Re: Chinua Achebe - What Nigeria Means To Me by Onlytruth(m): 10:33pm On Oct 31, 2010
alj harem:

sharrap dia ahah
u dey craze, who lie about nollywood

why who someone call other group of people slaves to them, are u thinking through your anus or foot

u igbos are just too proud as a ppl

i don't know hw the yoruba and my brothers accummodiate u in lagos and kano
angry angry angry angry

the only reason why some ppl don't like ibos is because of statements like this angry angry angry

Go drink battery acid. slowpoke.
Your views about us is IRRELEVANT. We are moving forward, whether you like it or not.
For your information Nollywood is acted in Asaba and Enugu (most of the things), and by that I mean REAL Nollywood that captivate Africa and the world.

Lol @ "accommodating" Igbos. WE ARE NIGERIANS and will live in and dominate ALL parts of Nigeria if we can. And YES WE CAN. cool cool cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

We Know The People Bombing Pipelines - AYIRI EMAMI / Ex-CJN Tanko To Get N2.5bn Benefits, Senate Begins Corruption Probe / Col. Ben Gbulie, One Of The 1966 Coupists Speaks On The Coup And Awo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.