Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,210 members, 7,829,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry (62113 Views)

Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Nigeria Airways Begins Operations, December 2018 (Photos) / Nigeria Airways: A Peek Into Its Heydays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by magoo10(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
There was indeed a country

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by nextstep(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
I don't lament for the old days of careless spending on development projects without actually developing.

Personally, I take that picture as one of many symbols of Nigeria's problems: we didn't produce a single piece of technology in that picture, not even the plates use aboard nor the uniforms. We didn't have a good group of managers who understood the airline business neither could we afford such expensive equipment. Planes are not something you buy and forget

Any country that trades natural resources only to buy other peoples' technology is bound to get into trouble someday - as the price of oil suffers, so does our economy, corruption notwithstanding.

The plane is a facade, fancy dressing on a country with nothing to show. I would argue that we are actually in a better place today, as I'm seeing more indigenous engineering and foundry firms pop up in Lagos, Aba. That's actually what gives me hope that we will one day take pictures of a plane we made, even if it looks like crap.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Fadiga24(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
Every body is Tayad.

Nigeria cannot stand.

To your home, O Isreal. To your inheritance, O sons of Jacob.

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by 4dor: 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
The decline started in 1979

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by pilarnig(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2017
When lalastica is on the thread grin grin grin

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by mmsen: 1:44pm On Jun 28, 2017
Nigeria is what happens when people are driven by petty tribalism (and religion) instead of a desire to be constructive.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by chamber2(m): 1:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
When you keep voting incompetent, weak and sick leaders what do you expect? Some daft youth even said they would vote in Buhari if the opportunity presents itself again. Have you seen the reason for our backwardness?

5 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by whizzyleejr(m): 1:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
Crude oil is the problem, we need economic diversification, imagine the tin mining industry in aja okuta how is it today, palm oil & cocoa exportation (farming), gold mine in ilesa, tourism, all this saddens me. cry

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by wristbangle: 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2017
SageTravels:

I'm just confused. Nigeria was doing very well before the oil stuff. We were ahead in Agriculture, today we are struggling. Despite the numerous Tourist attractions we have in this country We are not even among top 10 tourist destinations in Africa. Sometimes I wonder if we even have foreign students in any of our university.

Not even one you will see. The country has almost degenerate beyond repair but then we hope for a better tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by badchoky: 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2017
i live in hillbrow a not too classy suburb in joburg sa.dis people no get oil.but if u say house government dey build for poor people u go shout.shame on nigeira

5 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Lloydfolarin: 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2017
madapcmod:
That was before quota system became the norm. North has killed Nigeria. Lets keep voting them till they bury Nigeria.

Restructure they say NO, Lets do away with Quota system and allow the best brains run the system, FOR WHERE? I wish i was never born in this CAGE called Nigeria.

The Igbo coup destroyed Nigeria.

The genesis of our problem was that Igbos coup.

Every gone wrong thereafter...

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Akomah: 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2017
Infact, it's a pity. May God help us in this country of thieving thieves that have stolen the destinies of a million generations yet unborn.

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by emmanuelpopson(m): 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2017
i do remembered vividly Nigeria Airways been the best airline in Africa as at 2 decades ago..but its destruction was enemy within as the top management embezzled and divert its budget to themselves... most of this people traveled abroad and left the airline in disrepair...
my late dad was an employee of the airline and you won't believe govt liquidates it in 2004 and refuse to pay them their entitlements... gone were those days..memories of Nigeria Airway's are unforgettable...

3 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Ennyholar: 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2017
That's what corruption as turned our country into

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by nkemjacob2(m): 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2017
Is Nigeria still a country?

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by madapcmod: 1:50pm On Jun 28, 2017
Lloydfolarin:

yoruba poiltical Upheaval a.K.a Akintola vs Awolowo "operation wetie" led to the REVOLUTION u call igbo coup, so yorubas Caused Nigeria problem.

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by adegeye38(m): 1:51pm On Jun 28, 2017
150 billion naira yearly at a time when naira, had more value than the dollars was astronomical

assuming we kept up the trend, we would have been infrastructurally developed as the usa

but we decided to embrace corruption, and we destroyed our selves

we failed ourselves as individuals and as a people

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 28, 2017
Modsenemy:
Oil is a curse to Nigeria , hence , the downfall of every other sector.

I hope you have watched the footage of the heavily leaking roof at newly renovated Abuja airport .

These days we don't have business planes , we have private jets owned by the pas...rs

Well...I agree with you...somewhat about oil.

However, Nigeria's problem is that our economy is dependent on revenue from selling raw materials. That is why back in the 1960's...the railways worked well...because we needed them to transport agric products to the port. Once agric stopped being our main earner ...railways went down.

The point of my rail tale is that....your infrastructure is only as good as how it affects your earning power. Countries like UK, US, Japan,Germany and CHina have light and water 24/7....because if they did not, revenues to their treasures would fall. Whereas....Nigeria relies on oil....which really does not depend on light or water 24/7 (after all, our refinereis, and rigs can sustain themselves)....so infrastructure fails...and development falls.

Nigeria Airways was good when it made lots of money for the treasury. The problem started when it became less important in making money for the treasury....plus the fact that it was run like a govt business....everybody's business is no one's business.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Tedassie(m): 1:53pm On Jun 28, 2017
Cry ko faint ni

Nigeria is a joke having clowns at the helm of affairs!

Tell me one thing we've ever gotten right in this country...

*i don't wanna rant abeg,it's of no use*

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by uwajeh(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2017
Please in this age of blatant lies and fake news on the internet let's not be too quick to believe what we see on the internet. Always do some research before you post an article so you don't lead others astray.
No airline in the world currently flies to more than 300 destinations not to talk of 1500. Even United Airlines with over 1300 aircrafts in its fleet does not fly to up to 300 locations. Bare in mind that Nigerian Airways never had up to 40 aircrafts in its fleet.
Secondly as at 1973 two US Dollars were equal to one naira. No company in history has ever made up to $100bn profit. The article is a fallacy, please don't believe it.

11 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by emynike2001(m): 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2017
GREED

GREED

AND GREED to have it all

That's what kept us where we are today. Can we still look FAR better than d good old DAYS?

I can hear somebody say

I DOUBT.
Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Omotayor123(f): 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2017
wristbangle:

Not even one you will see. The country has almost degenerate beyond repair but then we hope for a better tomorrow.
Wrong! I have one Ghanian in my class; Just that he was Born, Bread & Buttered here in Nigeria. grin grin grin tongue
Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by SeniorZato(m): 1:56pm On Jun 28, 2017
It made me laugh instead

1 Like

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by nextstep(m): 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2017
Very valid points. I think this is the heart of te matter: the infrastructure that are important to govt revenues are the ones that are maintained. Excellent analysis

9jakohai:

Well...I agree with you...somewhat about oil.

However, Nigeria's problem is that our economy is dependent on revenue from selling raw materials. That is why back in the 1960's...the railways worked well...because we needed them to transport agric products to the port. Once agric stopped being our main earner ...railways went down.

The point of my rail tale is that....your infrastructure is only as good as how it affects your earning power. Countries like UK, US, Japan,Germany and CHina have light and water 24/7....because if they did not, revenues to their treasures would fall. Whereas....Nigeria relies on oil....which really does not depend on light or water 24/7 (after all, our refinereis, and rigs can sustain themselves)....so infrastructure fails...and development falls.

Nigeria Airways was good when it made lots of money for the treasury. The problem started when it became less important in making money for the treasury....plus the fact that it was run like a govt business....everybody's business is no one's business.

3 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by yinka2011: 1:57pm On Jun 28, 2017
chai we don scatter..
Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Mrkumareze(m): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
Useless nation

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
madapcmod:
That was before quota system became the norm. North has killed Nigeria. Lets keep voting them till they bury Nigeria.

Restructure they say NO, Lets do away with Quota system and allow the best brains run the system, FOR WHERE? I wish i was never born in this CAGE called Nigeria.
Lloydfolarin:

1. No, there was no such thing as an Igbo coup. Go and read the actual coup speech of Nzeogwu, and a good book on the history of the First Republic...and you would see why the coup happened....

2.Nigeria's problems started when our economy became dependent on exports of raw materials to the Industrial World....with the revenue 'shared' amongst the people.

That is why we have quotas, and such....so that people cannot accuse others of cheating in the sharing.

And that is why we have no light or water...because these things do not affect the way we produce raw materials for sale to the industrial world.

If we relied on selling things we make and innovate...we won't be arguing over quotas....and Nigeria would be like Europe and the US.

3 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by alexxo11(m): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
Flexherbal:
"...recall that the 3 African airlines that wanted to learn from Nigeria 44 years ago are now among the top 100 airlines in 2017."
actually at that time there was no kenya airways ....twas just east african airways which was shared by the east african countries (kenya uganda and tanzania) and later split .You guy were really miles ahead!!really wonder where yall went wrong!!

2 Likes

Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by adegeye38(m): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2017
Baawaa:
Our so rogues and thieves (leaders) destroyed everything because of selves interest.
It shall not be well with those that destroyed this nation
180 milion nigerians destroyed the country
Re: This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry by mrsfavour(f): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2017
O Di egwu o, Nigeria .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eyewitness Reveals Cause Of Otedola Bridge Explosion: Foolishness Killed Them / I Trekked To Church Today And It Was Fun But Church Looked Scanty (Pictures) / Big Joe Bus & Trailer In Accident After Okene, All Passengers Die (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.