Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,523 members, 7,826,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread (17776 Views)

Story Thread / Stars 2017 Nairaland Literature Writing Competition / IV Club's Creative Writing Competition 2017 | Winning Prize N70,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 2:58am On Jul 16, 2017
RAGE BY HAZKEL

“Save me, papa... I don’t want to die…”

The voice whispered. Blood gushed out the hole in her head and she breathe her last.

My head shot up from the headrest. I ran perspiring hands down my face. How long had I been out? That dream had been terrifying; as the images bombarded me again, I felt bile rise to my throat.

No! Amy could not die. They had given me their word. I did this last job and they let her go. The more I reassured myself, the more I doubted. Opening my wallet, my eyes lingered on a photo. It was Amy. It had been just Amy and I for seven years. My wife had died when Amy was five. I could not imagine life without Amy, the best gift my wife left me.

The plane landed. I headed out to a Porsche where a stone-faced chauffeur opened the door. Sitting back, I watched the city of Belgium roll by.
I alighted at my hotel. A tablet on the bed in my room caught my attention. Upon powering it, Evanston appeared. Evanston had been my boss at Helix, a black ops division of the government, or so I had thought until four months ago. After the discovery that the agency I had worked for for ten years was a criminal organization, I had quit. And now, to get me to do what they needed, they kidnapped my daughter.

“The mission's simple, Miles. Go in, get the information, get out. You give it to us, you get your daughter back, healthy. All information concerning the mission is in the closet. You've got twenty-four hours.”

The screen went blank. Fuming, I flung the tablet at the wall. Holding my head, I tried to calm down. This wasn’t time to flare up. Amy needed me.

By nightfall, I was adept in everything about Standel Tower, the corporation I had to break into. It was a security firm affiliated with the government. My mission was to obtain a file. Standel Tower was a fortress but Evanston knew nothing was impossible for me. I would move by sunrise. Before then, I had plans and calls to make.

Standing at the sea bank, my binoculars sighted Standel Tower. It was on an island. There was no way to approach it without detection. If all my years as a spy thought me anything, it was that everything and everyone had a weakness. I had discovered the Tower’s. Decked in goggles and a wetsuit, I dove into the sea, my backpack on and swam across. My calculations never failed and at the right spot, I dunk my head in and was headfirst with the opening of the underwater sewage tunnel. Opening it, I slipped into the sewer. Sometime later, I stepped out of the stench-filled tunnel. I waded through a pool of water and slipped out of the wetsuit. Getting to a set of metal doors, I hacked into the keypad and stepped into a hallway. Head lowered, I moved briskly.

I snuck into a restroom. Unscrewing the latch over the air vents, I climbed in. Crawling through the space was uncomfortable but the thought of Amy urged me on. Finally, I jumped out, landing on my feet. I put on my ski mask.

“You shouldn’t be...,” a voice said. I turned around and my fist met his face. He slumped. I hurried off. Some minutes later, I heard alarms. I had been discovered.

Two guards approached me. Drawing out my tranquilizer guns, I fired, hitting them simultaneously. Dodging the beefy man barreling towards me by sliding under him, I somersaulted, shooting him thrice. He fell like a wounded animal.

This was messy but it couldn’t be helped. My daughter’s life was on the line. Bullets flew at me through a metal door and I ducked. Once the shooter emptied his barrel, I recoiled and hit him point blank in his head. Removing the key to the smoke grenade, I threw it into the inner room, knocking out any occupant.

I got in and hacked into the mainframe. I finally found the file. I discovered that it was a list of arm dealers in the southern region. Why would Helix need this? Definitely to create havoc.

Legs flying off the steps, I ran, taking them two at a time.

“Stop!” Four armed men ordered. I did, arms behind my head. As one of them approached me, I kicked him in the shin, grabbing his gun. The others lowered their guns as I used him as a shield. In a blink, I flung six knives at them, stabbing them in their knees. Knocking my shield out, I headed to the roof. I jumped, accompanied by a rain of bullets. Deftly, I climbed the rope hanging out of my getaway, an awaiting chopper. Bullets kept zapping as we escaped.

Anxiety riddled, I gave the drive to the man.

“Evanston will be in touch.” He left and I headed to the airport.

Walking through the arrival gate, my eyes paused on the television in the lounge.

“The body of a young girl washed up on the beach. She's been dead for almost twenty-four hours…” as the announcer’s voice droned on, my mind shut down.

I was frozen, fixated on the picture of my daughter on the screen. I felt a sinking feeling in my gut. I kept staring, incapable of moving, hearing the words, strangulation, instant... I was in pain. I had nothing.

As I stood over my daughter’s grave, drenched by the heavy downpour, one thought occupied my mind. I would make them pay, every single one of them.

Standing before the monitor, I scrolled through dossier after dossier of every leader of Helix. I paused at a photo, Evanston's family. I zoomed in on the image of his daughter. While studying it, I oiled the gun in my hand. Evanston would be first. The moment they took my daughter’s life, the war began.

WORD COUNT: 1000

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:00am On Jul 16, 2017
CONVEX BY ESIXLOVE

A phone call was all it took for Agent-Z to raced along the cold tamac of Elvon airfield on a stormy night, a private owned airfield located south of Mac`avie.
His original plan upon leaving Milan had been to land at Clayton J. Lloyd International Airport enroute to the Caribbean. He longed for a downtime to view the clear waters of the Caribbean and enjoy his favourite Lobster and shrimp empanadillas and red wine from El
Schamar in Boqueron, Puerto Rico.

Agent-Z had been resting in his cabin on the verge of sleep when the buzz from his phone murdered his mood.
" the boss! " He whispered to no one in particular and ignored the call.
Before leaving Milan the profile for his next mission had been sent to him upon the success of the previous mission.
He had then sent a secured message to the boss stating his unwillingness. in the past couple of years He'd taken on one mission after another almost without pause.

The second buzz emanated from his secured device with a message and a video clip that shook his core, He knew what the boss was capable of, now that the boss had his mother his options where down to zero.

Sixteen years ago ALPHA had picked him up when he was washed down the mississippi river, Agent-Z was just nine-years-old then. They were on excursion to the zoo when their school bus tumbled down the mississippi river, the other bodies where found except for his. After searching for a week the coast guards gave up and reported him dead. Since then he had been with ALPHA.

This particular night was different and the mission unique. Senator Watchwall's Daughter had been kidnapped by Lord Pablo a Mexican drug-lord who had a business-gone-bad deal with the Senator and was demanding for thirty-five million dollars. Senator Watchwall had then contacted ALPHA to take on a covert mission and rescue his daughter without involving LAPD.

The black sedan was parked exactly where the profile said it would be. Agent-Z pulled the tarpaulin and dry grasses that hid the car from plain view and retrieve the remote under the tyre.
He opened the boot and inspected the weapons available, his favourite beretta 92FS was present together with his .50-caliber M82.

He closed the boot and ushered himself into the car, the engine responded instantly as he sped away leaving the dirts behind.
He parked the sedan a mile away from His target, putting on his snug leather jacket Agent-Z loaded his submachine guns into a bag and strapped his short guns in place, one of them loaded with Succinylchorine(SUX) a neuromuscular paralytic drug that works on the junction of the nerves and muscles.

Agent-Z surreptitiously watched his surrounding when he got closer to the abandoned building serving as the base of Lord Pablo. The only light he saw was emanating from the tenth floor.

He put on his binoculars night vision and stepped closer to the fence. placing his bag on the fence he waited, chance are that if anyone was watching, he'd shoot the bag at sight.

He lifted himself up the fence after thirty seconds and counted seventeen men fully loaded with Heckler & Koch MP5A2.

"f**k" he muttered.

Putting on his Full-face canister respirator specially designed with night vision he launched some balls containing dangerous gases into the compound. The chemicals were specially made from Korea.

He waited for two minutes before launching himself into the compound. The men were on their knees with blood coming out of every opening in their body. The chemical was design to burst every blood vessel it comes in contact with.

Agent-Z suppressed the urge to finish them off and mounted the stairs, he had ten minutes to get to the girl and take her out of the building before sinking the whole building with C-4 explosives. He placed the C-4 on every pillar he could get to and continued his flight up the stairs.

The first five floors were unoccupied but on getting to the sixth floor he counted about seven men playing card with a lone bulb over their head.
He adjusted his respirator and shot at the bulb before rolling to his right and launched another balls of chemicals containing sodium hypochlorite mixed with ammonia which immediately attacked their nasal passages, trachea and lungs causing massive cellular damages.

The noise from their choking attracted the ten men on seventh floor, they came charging blindly fully loaded with AKM - 7.62x39mm and paid for it almost immediately, the effect of the chemical was still very strong.

Agent-Z hid behind a pillar and fired randomly from his submachine Olympic Arms OA-93, 6.5" AR-15 5.56x45mm. In less than twenty seconds there were seventeen bodies scattered around the room.

He found the girl with just pant and bra, drugged and tied to a pillar on the ninth floor and carried her on his shoulder.

Agent-Z had totally forgotten the light from the tenth floor, he was on the third floor when a bullet penetrated his left thigh followed by several others hitting the wall.
He almost lost his balance and fired a blind shot with the beretta 92FS containing the SUX. The SUX caught the guy on his shoulder.

He barely got out of the gate when he detonated the C-4. The effect threw them both into the nearby shrub as the building exploded

It was mission accomplished but he knew he had to get to the sedan before the local authority gets to the scene.
Carrying the girl with his bad leg wasn't a pleasant task but he was trained to endured worse......

When they were safely aboard the Embraer Legacy 650 Agent-Z spoke to the director concerning his mother's release.

" she got troublesome, one of the boys put her off, I'm sorry! " The boss replied.

The words hit him like a thousand bullet, instantly he knew ALPHA was no longer home for him.

WORD COUNT: 998

3 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:03am On Jul 16, 2017
SPYKED BY CHIDEXTAR

Hushed voices.......

Mechanical sounds....

I tried opening my eyes but the strong light temporarily dazed me, half opened I scanned around the room which I lay. I could see the defilbirator and various medical equipment. At the top right, a huge picture of the prestigious Alpha soldiers of Geneva Military Academy hung in its bright colours and glory. The setting looking all too familiar to me, I let out a wry smile.

Still trying to get accustomed to the blinding light, my eyes ached. Absent mindedly, I tried to raise my right hand, Alas, I was greeted with a sharp pain on my wrist, only then did I notice I was on drip. Watching the yellowish substance coasting through the tube like a train through a Tunnel.

The events of yesterday slowly sailed into my consciousness, it was one of the most challenging mission ever undertaken, everything went as planned, the escape? not so well.

Running as fast as my legs could carry me, I leapt off the cliff, it was a death jump but I cared less for I’d rather die than get captured. The River below me got closer and closer, just as it was about to swallow me I triggered my location beacon. Whoosh!, I went in like a weighted stone.

I was a great swimmer but no match for the great River current, my survival instinct was at full alert , each time I raised my head above the water I plotted an escape route.

With a great stroke of luck I found a hanging tree branch, needing no invitation I stretched my hands got hold of it and climbed to safety. Totally spent, I slept off on a branch that looked more like an improvised bed.

Surely, my team got to know thanks to my location beacon. I thought to myself. Just then I heard someone say, Agent Dexta, I see you’re awake?!. The figure came in unannounced, startled, I rolled my head quickly to get a better view. This was Sophy, our Chief Medical Staff, still as charming as ever. I gave a slight nod in reply.

TWO WEEKS LATER

........ And bless this Nation, Amen. I just finished saying my morning prayers which was my daily routine.
Being a spy doesn’t mean I’m automatically immune or oblivious of certain religious duties, though I’m deceitful, kill and cause pain, lie and steal. It was all for the greater good or so I thought. As a matter of fact I’m as devoted to Religion as Bees to flowers.
It felt so good to be home and all the more fulfilling that my mission at the Republic of Dorobucci was a success. The information I retrieved would go a long way to putting us two steps ahead of our enemies.

And when we do things, we do in silence. For we are quick to act and fast with tact........ My phone was ringing, the ring tone was from the melodious Lady, Agent Carolyn. The Adele of the spy world. Legend has it that her voice swayed the unsuspecting King Hector of Swazi into revealing some top government secrets.. reaching for my phone, i pressed the answer button
Agent Dexta, you’re needed at HQ in 14:00. HQ always short and straight to the point, I thought to myself, wondering if they were billed twice as much as the average citizen of Geneva.

I got into my customised T-shirt and jacket. Taking a quick glance at my shoe shelf I was amazed with my collections, hurriedly, I picked a red shoe, which in my subconscious was completely out of place with my dressing but who cares anyway?. I might have a terrible fashion sense, but I sure do make up for it with great professionalism. The shoe, normal looking but deadly when it hits. It was specially created to exert exactly 150 pounds of force. Kick to Kill, you may call it..

I hopped into my car and zoomed off to HQ, trying to shake off this sudden feeling of dread, immediately I arrived I was taken or rather dragged to a dim-lit room, I couldn’t make out the people therein, until the light bulb was switched on. My mouth was agape at the sight of my childhood friend; Agent Hulk.

Agent Hulk and I, have been best of friends for 24 years, we got into the army on the same day and we both were picked by the president himself to act as spies...

I stood transfixed, trying to recollect what, why and how he got himself to this mess , I searched deep within. Few weeks ago I received a message from hulk but didn’t have the time to read it. .
Does it anyway have something to do with him being tied to a chair?.

Your friend got himself into this position he is in. Said Brigadier General Thomson, almost as if he read my mind.
How? What was his offense?. I queried.

Shut the hell up and listen, he barked. His face looking uglier than it previously was.. You must go on a journey to Kirkland, and get a chip, this chip contains data of some classified information only then would your friend be released.

Fast forward, two days later and I was back from the supposed challenging mission. I found my way to the building my friend was kept and noticed he has been murdered few hours ago. I was devastated, but I wasn’t one to be outsmarted. Somewhere in the Kalahari desert, an airplane boarded by my employers caught up in flames. I’m a spy, but I also learnt to be an assassin. I planted a bomb in the plane few days before I left, just incase.

I held the chip and tried to decipher it, hulk!. That must be the password, unlocked i flipped through and noticed it was a video, a horrific one at that. A male and female were being murdered, taking a closer look. Shocking! It was my parents murdered in cold blood by Brigadier Thomson himself. Why? I knew not and never will........

WORD COUNT: 1017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:07am On Jul 16, 2017
UNFATHOMABLE MISSION BY NAIJACHILD

It was December and the cold morning breeze could be felt as it gushed through the dancing curtains. I slowly turned over as I heard a buzzing sound on my Ipad. It was an E-mail. I was taken aback by the message. I am on leave and didn't expect to receive any further information just updates.

Immediately, just as I had expected, the call came in- it was Wale.

"Have you received the instructions?"

“I haven't read the mail and I don't wish to"

"I think it would be wise if you do so"

"But why?" I quizzed as he sounded brash.

“Just do as you have been told. Boss needs the Job. It’s a top priority ". And he hung up.

I stood up from bed and moved over to the sofa and opened the mail.

"Samuel Rasheed. Rasavielle Hotel and Suites. Brown Envelope. Urgent "

I hissed for I wasn't the man for the job but then something got my attention- a photo. It was attached to the mail. My heartbeats raced faster.
Quickly, I redialed and Wale picked up.

“I want to speak with our Boss". I spoke angrily.

Why would Damiete be held hostage? Why use her as bait? How urgent and important is this job?

"He is busy right now. Just do as instructed, Dakore. You have less than 24 hours to complete this assignment". He hung up.

"Shit!" I shouted and buried my fist in the wall. I was on a cross road but I must do my best to save my sister.

From the Google Map, Rasaville Hotel and Suites was an hour from my current location. Reaching there, I went to the receptionist.

"Good day. Welcome to our hotel". As she spoke, I quietly glided some naira notes over to her and gave her my million dollar smile.

"I need information ". She peered around the reception hall like an alarmed thief. It was quite amusing.

"Print out a list containing the names of those who had booked over the past two days." I requested.

With shaky fingers, she quickly printed it and handled it over me.

"Now, I need a room"

"Single or double?" she quipped.

"Single would do." She quickly gave me my receipts and I took the keys.

He had booked Room65 which was 4 rooms after mine.

I dialed and requested for room service. A young man in his mid twenties came in.

"Good day, here is what you requested for". He dropped the tray with a wine bottle and glass on the table.

“Can we swipe jobs?" I asked. He looked puzzled.

"For the stress, strictly business".

“Oh! I understand, Sir". He exclaimed as he saw the Naira notes beside the tray.

"I won't be long". And we exchanged clothing.

"Room service, please” I said as I knocked on Room 65.

A chubby man of about 6.2 feet showed up at the door. “I didn't request for service but on a second thought, I can pass away the time with these".

I slipped some substance into the wine as I unscrewed the cork and poured out the content.

"Thank you". He said as his eyes were fixed on the television.

Thirty minutes later, I came back and saw the result. He lay unconsciously on the bed with the wine glass dangling between his fingers.

Quickly, I did a quick search and found the Brown Envelope in the wardrobe.

Back in my room, I placed a call to Wale.

"I have the envelope. Release my sister now!" I shouted.

"Ouch! Don't be in such haste. The content of the envelope is the reason why you were chosen. Wait for further instructions.’’

I hate it when Wale acts all bossy and authoritative. He was in charge of this operations and this is a most dreadful aspect because he is known to be wicked and heartless.

I received further instruction as another mail came in.

"Net Force Building, Unlock the disk, send the content". That was the message.

Working hours ends by 5pm. I had to wait till dusk so that I can penetrate into the building.

I scaled over the fence at about 9 pm. Now in the premises, I climbed the water tank stand and removed my belt and used it as a pulley.
I took the back window and heaved a sigh of relief as it seemed the window is always open because of a wire connection to the tank stand so I just climbed over and I was in the building.

Since everywhere was dark, I walked stealthily until I saw the stairs leading to the third floor.

I found the ICT room and powered a system using a UPS. I opened the envelope and inserted the disk into the system. I was able to hack into their network and unlock the content.

Quite shocking, it contained names of top military personnel and politicians who are involved in money laundering.
Without hesitating, I left the building the way I came. All thanks to the power holding company, there was blackout so the cameras were down.

"I have what you want, please let my sister go".

"Welcome home, brother" Don Okpara, our boss greeted while extending a wine glass towards me. He continued" we have classified information, we are billionaires, let the celebration begin!" He clicked my glass.

"With due respect Sir; I want to see my sister".

I had hardly finished talking when Wale walked in.

"We are your family Dakore, you have proved your loyalty "Wale said and smiled.

"Something wasn't right" I said to myself as I ran out of the room and headed straight to the room I saw in the photo.
She sat in the chair with her head dangling behind. Her hands still tied to the chair, sitting in her own pool of blood.

I felt a cold hand over my shoulder "Welcome home, Son!" Don Okpara muttered and laughed hysterically as he walked back down the hallway.

WORD COUNT 999
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:09am On Jul 16, 2017
BULL'S EYE BY TALIUS

There was something off about the office setting. I felt it appeared too serene. I had successfully maneuvered every camera and heat signature sensor, but I wasn’t comfortable. It wasn’t my first time: it definitely wasn’t for lack of experience. I tried to clear my head of doubts: for it was my overburdened mind that let uncertainties crawl in.

I’d tried to give up this life, but the universe definitely me back. Tina, the love of my life had been kidnapped - I knew who had done it.

At 35 years of age, I’ve seen and done lots of things, many of my decisions and actions I regret. One of such was the day I decided to join the radical cult group at ABU Zaria – Bullseye. Worst decision of my existence. After many years of membership, I broke the cardinal rule, and exited the Brotherhood when I saw the error of my ways. I picked up the pieces of my life, changed my identity, and moved the City of Lagos for new opportunities. Ten years now, I’m a student on my way to getting a PhD in Software Programming at the prestigious Nigerian Dynamic Institute of Science and Technology; my life more colorful because of the allure that’s Tina Greg – she helped me stand when all I could do was weep at the feet of my past mistakes. All had been quiet until now.

I returned home two nights ago, and Tina was gone, our home a complete mess. A note was conspicuously left for me – it announced it was a kidnap. A number was also scribbled on it. I called and what they wanted was for me to steal a software prototype from Billions Tower – A skyscraper owned by a young billionaire – in the Mega city of Eko Atlantic. I was furious, this was a Brotherhood that terrorized the whole of Northern-Nigeria at the time I was with them, why would they want me for a job when I was retired? I recall pleading to deaf ears of my blunt skills: they’ve been useless the last ten years as a practicing civilian. The guy at the other end of the phone quickly reminded me that I was one of the best, and that the nature of the mission suited someone with my set of skills.

My investigation revealed the prototype was at the internal server of Billions Tower. I thought it a suicide mission: no one could gain access into Billions Tower talk more into their server room. But here I was, two minutes deep into the mission, and a floor away from the control server room. As my contractor assumed, it was easy because the building’s system was 70% under my control; I had another seven minutes before my back-door access would be noticed. This was the life I didn’t want, because the thrill I felt was unquantifiable.

I took a glance at my stopwatch as I entered the server room – I had about 150 seconds to exit the building. Retrieving the document in question was the easiest part of the job. Soon, I was on my way to the rooftop where my escape ride should arrive in 10 seconds.

As I burst through the door to the space at the rooftop, I carelessly looked around: Tony, the guy I contracted for my exit was nowhere in sight. It was a good thing I had a backup plan: I was to swing onto the neighboring skyscraper, where I’d wait out the police sirens, attention, and publicity if Tony still didn’t show up at the end of the extra 5 minutes I made provision for. As I worked on the pulley for my jump-and-swing motion at the edge of the rooftop, my attention got drawn towards my right-hand side. It was then it dawned on me that there was someone there – also at the edge. I pulled out my ear plugs (they’re used to filter out distractions from the surrounding during missions). I looked closely, and saw a hooded figure holding a lady who was crying profusely. I recognized her sob-pattern – it was Tina. My Tina!

“You’re finally here.” I heard the figure say. The voice sounded deep. It had to be a man, I thought.

“Let her go,” I pleaded. I gently walked towards them.

He commanded me to stop, I didn’t listen. His next action caused me delay on my footsteps. I watched my life get unceremoniously shattered, my future robbed before my helpless eyes. He shot Tina and tossed her off the rooftop like a piece of garbage. My hands met my mouth agape as I looked down the rooftop to Tina’s falling body. My vision become obscured, my heart broken. The alarm went off: The police were on their way.

“It’s all a setup.” I heard him boast. Kidnapping Tina and having me rob Billions Tower was so I could watch the love of my life die in the most gruesome way possible and still go to jail for multiple offences that he’d already set me up for. “No one leaves Bullseye.” He said to mock me, as he revealed his tattoo to show me his identity – He was a professional hitman for the Brotherhood, just as I used to be.

I understood what this meant: there was no way two of us would leave the rooftop alive – I was meant to live so that I would be humiliated through a public trial and die shamefully. I knew this because it was a punishment I formulated when I was with the Brotherhood. My beautiful life was over whichever way, I might as well dictate how it’d play out – I pulled my gun from its hold and fired against him. He expertly dodged the bullet, as expected. I immediately greeted him with two mini-knives – one for each leg. The only way he wasn’t going to bleed out was if he remained still. With nothing more to live for, I pulled my gun against my chin.

WORD COUNT: 1000

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:24am On Jul 16, 2017
THE SPYTRAYAL BY TUHAM

CHAPTER 01

14th of February --- 9:12AM

“Where sir?” The driver asked

“Down the street, I will tell when to stop”

I said and sat at the car’s back seat. While on the road, the driver tries to initiate a discussion but gave up when he felt my reluctance to join the conversation. Even though I had just completed a successful mission, I couldn’t fathom why I don’t feel excited like before.
“It’s okay here, driver”!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KAMKAZE SPY ORGANIZATION BUILDING ---- 10:15AM

There were a group of five men sitting on a chair facing the receptionist area and laughing hysterically over a cup of tea.

“And here comes our hero” The man who had a pot belly among them said loudly

“Everyone present here knows you are our hero, Boss! I said and bowed in a French style

“Oh really? You sure know how to make an old man laugh”

He later shook hands with me and discharged three of the men on seat to their office but told one of them to follow him to his office alongside me.

When we reached inside the Boss’ office, I gave a quick eye signal as to whether I can start sharing my mission results in the front of the other fellow and the Boss signaled back that it’s okay. I then brought out some files and a flash drive from the briefcase and handed it over to the boss

“This was all the necessary information I retrieved sir”

“Bravo Ade! As a matter of fact, am going to pay you in double folds for this!”

“But it’s a pity I won’t be able to receive another one again”

“Why do you say that?” The Boss said

“Since this is my last mission and…”

“Common Ade, you’re not leaving this Job. You’re the best”

“That’s not true sir. There will always be someone smarter and better”

“Maybe. But for now, you are the best and I say you’re not leaving” The Boss’ countenance changed suddenly

“And if I insist? Would you force me to stay?” I felt an anger rising in me

“You can’t decline. You have no choice”

The Boss then signaled to the other man who had kept mute since. The man simply went to one corner of the Boss’ office where the Toilet is and brought out a woman who was gagged. When I saw who she was, I was shocked!

“Aunty Florence!”

“mhhmh! mhmmh!! mmmh!!! She tried to talk but couldn’t

“Either you go this one last mission, or you refuse and this woman dies right now!” The Boss said

I looked at the woman who had been there for me since the day I became an orphan and ensured I stayed good. It was greed that drove me to this Job and if someone were to get punished, it has to be me not her.

“Alright, I will go! I’d rather prefer to die in the mission’s quest than watch her die”

The Boss smiled and then briefs my next mission in front of Aunt Florence in which I could see the terror in her eyes. It was a mission involving a dangerous man that could claim my life if I miscalculate the strategies.

CHAPTER 02
16TH of February --- 1PM

“Good morning, is Dr. Bradley around?” I said mimicking a feminine voice and gesture

I was wearing a legging under a mini skirt and with a strapless cloth coupled with some other female accessories to look like a lady.
Before coming there, I had spent hours trying different costumes to make sure I look perfect!

The receptionist gave me a quick glance before pointing out his Boss office for me. He didn’t even question my reason of coming or perhaps was too engrossed in his work.

Upon entering the office, i met their Boss operating on a PC but immediately he saw me, he stopped what he’s doing and began moving closer towards me. I locked the door and then catwalk to meet him too. Suddenly he frown and was about to punch me but i had prepared for this and quickly jab him with a drowsy injection needle which I kept under the bra.

The mission was to look for a folder with the Label “TIDIM” and burn it right away- even before leaving the office.
The folder consists of top secrets about an unknown but powerful weapon and our spy organization was the only one aware of it before a member betrayed us and sold the information to the man.

After discovering the folder, I immediately lit it up at a safe corner in the office. Then I dragged Dr. Bradley to his seat making him look like he was just relaxing.

On my way back, the receptionist gave me a lustful look showing a sign that his Boss must have enjoyed me very well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I entered K.S.O building after the mission, there was no single person left there. I immediately ran into the Boss office for my Aunt and to my horror, she was lying in a pool of blood!

A letter lay beside her with a pistol placed on the letter. I picked it up and read with teary eyes

Dear Ade
When I found out you had completed the mission through the cam and tracker installed on you as it is done on every member, I told your Aunt about how brilliant you are but she was making a fuss on how we had destroyed your good soul and turned you into a gangster.
I just couldn’t resist the temptation to shoot, as she knows about our existence which is going to be a threat to our future operation. And, We had all moved out of the country to another place.
I’ll be sending you your payment for both the previous and this mission in the next 7hours.
Good luck
K.S.O Boss

“To hell with you! I yelled at the letter and cried bitterly!

WORD COUNT; 1000

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:33am On Jul 16, 2017
STORY BY PRAHCETOMI

“Grrrrrrrr”…….The sound of the buzzer woke me from my slumber. I didn’t even realize I was sitting on the floor. The mirror on the wall reflected my grief. The person I loved most on earth was in the mortuary. I had lost my parents and sisters twelve years ago, and she too was gone.

Chrislyn, the woman with that ever radiant face was gone. I just proposed to her a month ago. We both had dreamt about our future. The kids we would have, the house we would build, the life we would live.”God!”I cried in my heart. It was the mission. I closed my eyes and reflected on what had happened. It was few days ago……

“Deadshot!”I remember the boss screaming my secret name. I rushed down to meet him. He didn’t waste time in telling me what he had for me. I was to go on another mission.”No way!”, I yelled.”We had an agreement.

The last mission was to be my last. I’ve risked my life too much” I complained.”I knew you would complain. Probably you’ll change your mind when you see this”, he replied me. Walking close to me, he held out his phone. I was shocked when I saw a video of my fiancée, chrislyn in chains.

With despair written on her face, she was shouting “Help me, please help me”. The boss explained that the enemies had her.”Simple. Find out the enemies’ plan and save your woman”. That was the catalyst needed to change my mind. I took instructions and set off on the secret spy mission labeled MISSION GTB999.

I took off the next day at 6 am. The enemies’ destination was at Ibiza. Now dear reader, as a secret agent, I’m not supposed to reveal the mission details, but I probably will be dead in a few days. The mission was to recover the ‘Kohinoor’, a software that had the details of all the dubious dealings of the Sporophytes-the secret organization I worked for. It was a very dangerous mission; these rogues had to use Chrislyn as bait for me.

They had promised to keep her safe during the mission so I was able to buy time and prepare well. The location of the Kohinoor, the grand tower was heavily secured. Looking from an equal height building opposite the grand tower, I scanned the building. I felt energy swoop my body as I swung to the grand tower with my almost invisible swingrope.

I was on top the building already. All I needed was to bypass the security, disable the security lock and the prized treasure will be in my hands. That sounded easy,right? No, it wasn’t. My plan had been strategized. I was fully trained for these kinds of mission, but this mission was different from the other missions.

I was dressed in my usual secret-mission clothes. The only way to enter was to disguise, something I was already ready for. I put on a three piece suit. I already had a fake I.D card pinned to my breast pocket. I checked a nearby mirror. “Nice, very good”, I thought to myself. I looked like a Memphite-the name they call the workers of the grand tower.

I walked freely into an elevator that took me to the floor of the chamber where the Kohinoor was. Inside the chamber, I discovered there was another chamber, inside another chamber, making it a total of three chambers. As I would later find out, the first chamber was open, the second was heavily guarded and the third, the Kohinoor containing chamber, was heavily secured with the latest artificial intelligence, of course, something I was not new to. Slamming the door shut I entered the first chamber.

That alerted the security. The door of the first chamber was not supposed to be shut. I could see six armed security officers coming towards the transparent door. Putting up no resistance, I allowed them in. I lied that I had a tear in my trousers and I needed to fix it. The lie wasn’t convincing, but it bought me time. In the speed of light, I changed back to my mission clothes. Earlier, I didn’t put off the clothes, I only wore the three piece suit on top the mission clothes. I did that to make me look like a robust, harmless worker.

These same security men were alerted again and walked towards me. My dagger shoe-a shoe with a poisoned blade, was on my feet already. This blade would pop out of the front of the shoe, making kicks extremely dangerous. I took all of them out. Proceeding to the second chamber, I took sixteen men out and proceeded to the Kohinoor containing chamber.

The artificial intelligence was an advanced form of a thumb printing sensor. I didn’t bother hacking it, I brought the whole structure down with my cutting laser, and in front of me was the precious Kohinoor. Without wasting time, I took the Kohinoor and left the building the same way I came.

I arrived back at the Saprophytes’ building the next day and delivered the Kohinoor to the Boss. I asked for my fiancée and got a deadly stare from him. He signaled to his guard and whispered something to his ears. The guard went somewhere, came back with a polythene bag and zipped it open. Inside the bag was Chrislyn, dead!.I was devastated.

Chrislyn had been murdered. With pain, I boldly threatened to kill him. He laughed it off before saying “Thank you Deadshot, you have been a faithful agent all these years, now you are no longer needed”. I was astounded. These people I had served for many years have betrayed me. Why they did so, I don’t know. I took the body and went away. I have made an eight page document of their dealings and I will deliver it to the police force. These people will come for me and kill me, but I will expose them to the world, including this story you are all reading. I know I probably would be dead when you will read all this, but I know Justice would be served.

WORD COUNT; 1026

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:38am On Jul 16, 2017
COUP D'ETAT BY DRLAYKAY

He had his hands tied to a chair behind , sweating profusely, eyes shut, his heart pumped rapidly, he was shivering like one that had written a note to death and was expecting it's arrival. "f"ck you! u gonna rule United States in hell"one of his abductors said pointing a gun to his forehead".

"Enough of this bullsh*t, just pull the trigger" the co-abductor lamented.

"poof! Poof!!" Two gunshots in a second, John Fredrick, the Presidential aspirant, palpated his soul, opened his eyes gently, he found the abductors dead . His heartbeat increased, more rapidly, couldn't explain what transpired.

I jumped from the ceiling where I had hidden and shot the abductors, untied Fredrick then whisked him to safety. I was a member of kingO, an intelligent spy group that protected certain elites and attacked their enemies. The elites were top America political godfathers who traditionally chose presidential candidates.

Their preferred candidate for the 1977 election was Paul Richard, but the elites asked him to run for the vice president role under John Fredrick who could command much electoral votes.

Four months after, the Presidential election was over and Fredrick became the white house chief, however, he wasn't confident of his secret agents who couldn't protect him during the election. He needed brains, power and trust, the three fundamental attributes for secret service agency. He had no problems recruiting, he made me the head of his secret agents team.

Work began in earnest, I taught the junior agents the scope of secret agency and I was responsible for giving them instructions. I gave instructions from a surveillance room through the secret agent website and they got responses through a special wristwatch and followed accordingly. I introduced various tactics and would quickly rollback outdated ones.

Amongst the various tactics I introduced were the night goggle vision which allows clear vision in the dark, steganography, tradecraft, dead drop among others. The spycraft tactic which involved the use of cameras at unusual places was one tactic which brought me to fame.I remember when President Fredrick visited Iran and the enemies who had planned to attack the president were apprehended without breaking a sweat, through high-tech surveillance I introduced. This was honored and I got accolades from every part of the world.

About a year and six months into the administration,I was in my surveillance room when my phone rang. I picked up while my eyes were still glued to the computer and gave little attention to the caller..."hello " I said , still fully engrossed in my activity. " covert 24470, gency 001"the caller reiterated without giving further information.

The content of the call drew my full attention. I had no issue understanding the message content. It's obviously a call from KingO top boss, Garry Matus. Covert means secret, 24470 represents highly important assignment, gency culled from emergency and 001 refers to the number one boss. I left the surveillance room quickly, assigning my role to my vice.

In less than 20mins I arrived at Garry's office. As I opened the door, I went to the shelve where instruction notes were kept.Garry wouldn't speak with any of his boys when giving instructions for tasks. He said "assignment 322" with a buzzing voice. I looked carefully and picked out a file labeled 322 from the pile. It reads "kill the president within one week or loose your family". I quickly picked my phone and called my wife.She responded like one obviously in captivity and I could hear my only son cry underground. It occurred to me, my family were in bondage and I didn't doubt the imminent danger. KingO never forgive!

I was caught in the middle of a deep blue sea , I wouldn't want to carry out such assignment, I was loyal to the president and patriotic to my country. I quickly made some empirical deductions and it became clear to me that I was planted in the secret service. KingO masterminded the abduction of the President before the election, they paid the two abductors and still got me to save the president just to gain his trust . They used me without my knowledge, all they wanted was the vice president become the president.

I decided I would carry-out the assignment in order to save my family but knew it was a difficult task. Though I was the head of the team, yet I was wise enough to know I also was under watch by people I don't know, so killing him directly is a wrong idea.

I took advantage of the intelligence report I had garnered about Japanese terrorist coming to attack the president. I could dole out commands since I was the principal who operated the secret agent website but instead, I hacked the secret service data base through KingO server, this would ward off suspicion on me during investigation as investigative panel would see it was hacked. I operated through kingO server which now had control of the secret agent website and gave order to the junior secrete agents. They obeyed as they had no idea it was hacked.

The Japanese were approaching, I instructed my junior secret agents through the hacked account to move in wrong directions which threw the president opened to attack.The Japanese arrived, the security was porous and the president was shot in the head.

"The USA president has been murdered " that was the only news that filled all broadcasting house , Garry gave a relieving and pleasing gesture to the news. But one more thing,he had to kill my wife who had seen one of the elites while she was held captive. Only Garry knew them not even me nor any other kingO member. Garry ordered the death of my wife and my son.I got the news about the murder of my family, it took me off balance and I felt betrayed. My heart felt bitter and all I could think of was revenge..

The investigation into the death of the President began. I purposely left the hacking of the database uncleared so it would be traced to the kingO server. I had planned to clear the cache so that the hacking wouldn't be traceable to kingO server. With the murder of my family , I left it traceable.The investigative panel easily traced it to kingO server. Garry, other kingO members and the elites were apprehended while I was exonerated as I prayed before the court I was a repented member claiming that was why kingO murdered my family.

I have my own cross to carry,I can't have a child of my own any more, I once lost my testicles to a gun injury during one of the kingO operations 3 years back.

WORD COUNT: 1125

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:41am On Jul 16, 2017
SABOTAGE BY FIRSTGENTLEMAN1

The Mission: 11/06/15. 12:00 hrs

“Mr. Mike, please wait while I run through your ID.”

He punched some keys on the computer and waited for 3 minutes, before handing over my ID card.

“You are welcome to Serene Security.” The receptionist said. “The director's office is down the hallway by the left. He is expecting you.”

“Thanks.” I said and made for the hallway briskly.

I got to the director’s office and knocked softly. I was summoned in by a deep voice.

“Please sit down. You were sent from the Department of State Security. Mike right”? The director's voice reverberated across the room.

“Yes sir.”

“We got the dispatch. Follow me for some security clearance before you can get the package.”

He led the way outside, while I followed behind him. We turned to the right, into a narrow hallway. We walked into a descent. 5 minutes after, we were in an isolated room, advancing towards a man who stood behind a netted counter.

“Good day Mr. Priye.” The man greeted the director.

“Morning Malo, put Mr. Mike here through the security clearance, he's here for the DSS package.”

“Okay sir.” And looking at me, he beckoned, “Please follow me.” I followed as he made his way into a bright room.

“Your left thumb, please.” He demanded. He pressed my left thumb to a screen-like surface.

“What's your service ID?”

“ED1276.” He typed it in a computer.

“You are good to go. Make your way outside, the director awaits you.” Malo orderered.

“Thank you.” I said as I made my way outside. The director gestured me towards another door. “Please enter.” We were in a room filled with tall lockers arranged horizontally.

“Wait here.” He stopped me by the door while he fetched the package.

“Place your right thumb on this surface.” I pushed my thumb against another screen-like machine after which he said, “You can now have the package.”

“Please extend my greetings to the director. And be careful with the package.” He said as we made our way outside.

“I am always careful sir. I have embarked on more tasking assignments.” I offered a handshake and said, "Sir I would like to take my leave now.”

I made my way outside, walking briskly towards the reception.

“Do have a wonderful day ahead, Mr. Mike.” The receptionist bellowed.

“You too, thank you.” I said making for the door. I got to the door in no time and found myself outside. I was about entering the car when I heard…

“Stop!” I turned almost immediately. My heart beating fast and getting ready for any physical confrontation, with squinted eyes, I said, "yes?”

“I am sorry you forgot to sign out the visitor's book.” I heaved a big sigh of relief as I made my way into the reception to sign the book.

I rushed outside, entered my car, and then drove off to a safe distance. I brought out my phone to make a call.

“This is Chuks. Mission accomplished. May I know where the dead drop is?”

The Mission briefing: 10/06/15.

My name is Chuks, a special agent of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), the foreign operation espionage arm of the Nigerian government. My daughter has just been abducted by the people that employed me and in return for her freedom; I was to embark on a mission, one out of my jurisdiction.

“The Department of State Security has a volatile file which is a threat to National security. Intelligence gathered reveals that the file is secured by a private security outfit at the outskirt of Abuja; “Serene Security”. Your mission is to retrieve the file. This is a black operation. You are also going in naked. A dead drop will be communicated to you on successful completion of the mission. Attached to this message is a picture of your daughter. If you get compromised, take the L- pill and say good bye to your daughter. You have just 72 hours from the time of this briefing to complete your mission”.

I read the mission briefing with disbelief. This was no empty threat, I had to spring into action. I grabbed my phone and made a call to Rash, a popular hacker.

“Rash, this is Chuks. I need a cover as a staff of the DSS with top security clearance.” I dished out instructions.
I got home, grabbed a bag, and then made my way to Abuja city. I arrived the airport and got into the waiting car of Rash who I had called earlier.

“This is the ID. Your new cover is mike odemwinge with service no. ED1276. I have already sent a dispatch to Serene Security, you have been booked for a 12 noon appointment tomorrow. This should be a piece of cake. What I just need now, is your thumbprint and you are good to go.” Rash reeled out in a flash. I was impressed. He just made my work easier.He captured my print. I settled in, and rested for the task ahead. The next day I drove to Serene Security and got there at about 11:55 am.

‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

The Betrayal: 11/06/15....

“The dead drop is just 20km from your present location. Throw the package into the flower garden opposite Joy’s eatery. Your daughter is peacefully awaiting you at home.” The voice at the other end of the phone ordered. The instructions were clear, I just needed to rush to the dead drop and make my way home to my darling daughter.

I drove like someone possessed, got to the flower garden, and threw the package out of the window. I made a U turn, drove to Rash’s home, got my bags, and then made my way home. I got to my apartment, ran to the front door, pushed it open violently and lying there in the middle of my sitting room was my daughter, sprawled lifeless, drenched in her own blood. The gory sight sent a clear message; WAR!!!

WORD COUNT: 995
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:46am On Jul 16, 2017
STORY BY LAURELYN

‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,’ Shakespeare once quoted, but the fury of a woman scorned has nothing on the rage festering inside me like a demon. This rage made me wipe out three entire families.

My name is Keith Sanders and this is the story of how I became a soulless murderer.

One month earlier

“I won’t do it,” I said emphatically.

“You have to do it,” Michael said. His eyes were cold, his voice colder.

“You want me to go a criminal containment facility, a well-guarded one at that, to rescue Peter, a criminal?” I asked incredulously.

I couldn’t believe my ears. I’ve always thought my superior, Michael Anderson was the epitome of integrity and intelligence so him asking me to rescue a fellow spy who was responsible for the president’s assassination is something I couldn’t wrap my head around.

“Yes, Keith. That is exactly what I want you to do,” he said from his perch on his desk.

“Like I said before, I won’t do it,” I replied.

“Let’s see if this will make you change your mind,” he said with a cruel smirk.

He took his phone out and called someone. “Bring our guest to my office,” he said and hung up.

The door opened and two burly men came in, carrying someone whose head was covered with a sack. One of them removed the sack and what I saw had me seething.

“How dare you kidnap my mother? Release her now!” I exclaimed.

“Stop screaming, Keith,”

“Is she dead? You’ll pay for this, I assure you...”

He interrupted me. “Oh shut up! She’s not dead but she will be if you refuse to do what I asked you to do. So what do you say?” he asked with a grin.

Widow’s castle is a criminal containment facility surrounded by water and a 30 feet tall wall. With a troop of 1,000 soldiers guarding the facility, motion sensors and cameras, it was basically a fortress. No one has ever infiltrated it and lived to tell the tale.

On the nearest island to the castle, I surveyed the area and fine-tuned my plan. I waited till darkness fell before I paddled my raft to within 30 feet of the wall which, according to the information Michael had given me, is where the motion sensors and radar began. At this point, I stopped paddling, put on my diving suit and jumped into the water. I quickly deflated the raft till it was the size of a football and put it inside my backpack.

I took out a frequency disrupter which would cause a glitch in their security system, giving me 30 minutes which is enough time for me to get to the wall and swim past the iron bars that extend 50 feet into the water. Once I passed the bars, I swam towards one of the buildings, came out of the water and stood behind the soldier that stood on the ledge behind the building. I quickly covered his mouth and stabbed him in the back.

“Where are the holding cells?” I asked him while twisting the knife.

“Th-this building,” he stammered. I wrapped my hands around his neck until he became unconscious and placed him on the floor gently.

I took my dive fins and mask off and started climbing the building using suction cups. I got to the top quickly as it only had a single storey. I opened the metal grate covering the air ducts and crawled into it. I started creeping forward stealthily, looking through the vents at the ceiling of the cells and checking the prisoners' faces.

I saw Peter at the fifth cell, lying on his bed. I opened the vents, dropped down noiselessly and turned the frequency disrupter off.

“Put this on,” I said as I threw a diving suit at Peter who put the suit on immediately. I turned the frequency disrupter on again and climbed into the vents with Peter following me. We crept through the air ducts, climbed down the building and entered the water, following the same way I got in. I inflated the raft outside the wall and took us to the island where an helicopter was waiting for us.

At the headquarters, I handcuffed Peter and dragged him to Michael’s office.

“Where is my mother?” I asked Michael immediately I entered his office.

“Keith! Welcome back. How was the trip?” he asked jovially.

“Where is my mother?” I repeated in a cold voice.

“I’ll tell you where your mother is but first, I want to tell you a secret. Brook, David and I ordered Peter to kill the president. He was planning to close this department down because he found out we were using it as a front for arms trafficking.”

He stood up from his chair behind the desk and walked towards me, holding a gun.

“You want to know why I told you that secret? Well, it’s because you are going to join your mother on the other side very soon. Don’t look so sad, boy, she died quickly. She suffered no pain at all. Now, any last wishes before…”

I didn’t let him finish his statement before I took my gun from its holster and shot him in the neck before kicking his gun away. I turned towards Peter and shot him between his eyes before he could react.

I felt the last bit of my soul drain away as I stared into Peter’s dead eyes. I felt numb to every feeling except rage. It started from the base of my spine and saturated my body until it became a part of me. It transformed me into a cold, soulless monster, capable of wrecking damage without feeling remorse.

I turned from Peter's body and faced Michael.

“You will pay with blood, your family’s blood. Have fun in hell,” I said before I shot him in the head.

“Time to wreck havoc!” I screamed in a tortured voice.

WORD COUNT; 999
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:50am On Jul 16, 2017
A BULLET IN WINE BY JETJACKY

“what is the fate of a Man, when forced to wrestle a Snake?”

Birmingham, 11:50am.

I watched her walk past the glass door, her curly brown hair dancing like fire around her. She did not bother to look behind, her shiny leather pants, playing with sun. She walked across the asphalt road beside the airport, her right hand raised, to wavedown a carb. She turned, gazing at the outlet of the airport building, it was like, she saw no one.

“Stop her. Get the flash drive. Do this before she reports to the CIA and you will still have someone to call you Daddy.” the decorative words of Tunde Jacobs: NIA boss, my boss.

Halting a Taxi, I followed Samantha Smith, the Black Mamba: “you need to know who you are going up against. Agent Samantha Smith is known for one thing: success. She has never been defeated in a mission, or return with a defect in expectation. Within her colleagues, she is nicked named, Black Mamba, and her attacks are lethal.” Our impeccable leader, Tunde, asserted.

My trailing Samantha led me to a Hotel named, Queen Royal. The hotel, like a gem on a mountain peak, dazzled; boasting of a royal red painting, and sparkling stones.

I took in air, deeply. I am ready. I have to be ready, for you, Sonia.

Taking quick strides into this magnificent building, I pushed the glass door in, to let me through. Inside, the building stood more glorious than outside; the hotel looked like an artistic picture, painted by a faithful believer.

A curly brown hair found my gaze at the counter. The outfit was different: brown pants was replaced by a nice silky black gown, accentuating the wearer's complexion. It can't be her.

I allowed the body of people around me, fast-forward through my vision; my gaze seeking for a certain fiery brown hair. A hand waved at me from outside, I focused on it and, it was her. My father! How did she do that?

She turned from me, following the left side of the building. I raced to the door, pushing it out to pass through. Out in the open, I caught a glimpse of brown pants and brown hair turning left of the hotel. I galloped hard after her, trying my best to swing past all the human obstacles that posed a threat to my progress.

How did I let this happen? How could I have been so carefree? Sonia life depends on this, she depends on me!

I followed Smith into a public restroom. An empty corridor greeted me: papers littered around the place; the florescent light nested on the ceiling kept dancing like fire flies, and the only sound that greeted me was my footfalls, and drumming heart. How do I win her? How do I apprehend a snake? I have to kill her, it's the only possible way to retrieve the drive. The cursed drive, Our compassionate Tunde had in his possession; a drive he said endangered our nation, yet my Sonia had to be abducted for it. A lie spurn by the tongue of Satan.

I bent down, gazing into the five inches, rectangular, opening made below each door, sitting rigidly beside the corridor. Expected legs, made no appearance; and slowly, I approached the final compartment of the women wing.

A thud, followed by a stinging sensation on my head; and a dance of light, like the stars twinkling in the dark; my sight bled black.

••••

“When one, is in the layer of the Sly Queen; who can predict, what lays, at the end of the road?”

“Daddy! Ahhh!”

“Sonia!!” I raced, but I wasn't as fast as a jeep. Cars honked at this mad man on the street of lagos, this mad man, wailing for his daughter.

“I will kill you. All of you. I will- oh God!!!”

A hard surface pressed against my chin, like stones meant for death. I peeled my groggy eyelids open: images of different things danced around my gaze, one looked blurry and bold: a brown human figure.

Another hard material slammed into my face. “Wake up sleepy head.”

The images cleared quickly before me: Agent Smith stood before me, holding onto my ID. “Agent Maxwell Ibeabuchi Tonye. a very pathetic name, for a pathetic agent, in a pathetic agency.” she said with a scowl.

She flung the ID at me. Slipping her hand into her brown jacket, she brought it out, flashing a black flash drive at me. “this is what you are looking for, is it not?”

I remained silent.

Her fist raced for my face again, and soon, my head echoed; warm liquid played down my nose, as water trickling down a glass.

“No matter, your pathetic agent life ends here, at the mouth of my gun.”

••••

“Oh! In my later days, send me not to the land of Skulls”

I found Tunde standing next to a pillar, in the agreed meeting place; a gun in his hand, like a faithful companion. The room, like the rest of the building suffered much from rain, sun, and long abandonment. But like the sun shining at night, something stood off: Sonia, was not here.

“Where is she?” I said, squeezing the firearm concealed in my hoodie, the hoodie, Agent Smith gave after our romance in the snake cave.

“After you. The Flash drive.”

I handed it over to him. His gaze lingered on it, before his visage accommodated a grin.

“So, where is my Sonia?”

“Behind you, you can come in now Sonia, your father is a man.”

I turned; hope elevating my heart, like waves competing for heights. My eyes lingered at the door, whispering prayers for a flowery girl to make an entrance.

The sound of firearm, and the pain emanating from my chest, sang a tale of betrayer. My legs gave in and I fell, but someones voice remained clear: “Tunde can never keep his word. Your daughter is dead.” — Smith.

WORD COUNT; 1000

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 3:54am On Jul 16, 2017
OBSIDIAN BY BARRIKADE

Prologue :

Sabotage. Ruses. Brutality.

Those were, are and always will be the name of the game; a game I, more than most can play to perfection. But what happens when you let yourself believe that you can leave that life in your past and forge a new one for yourself? Believing that you can find a semblance of happiness and normalcy. My neighbours know me as Victor and this is my story.

Waking up in my quaint abode in the suburbs of Abuja, a neighborhood I have lived in for the 3 years that have elapsed since my last job for my former employers who we refer to only as 'the unit'- a counterintelligence agency established in 1999,right under the noses of unsuspecting Nigerians. We were taken as kids and subjected to the cruelest and most inhumane conditions possible, our bodies and minds stretched to the very limit of human capabilities with the sole aim of transforming us into the perfect agents of espionage.

Who? You ask, would do such a thing- a woman who now should be in her late sixties known to us only as 'the physicist'.

I was on my way back into the house after I had finished mowing the law when I noticed a cellphone on my porch which I picked up, it had an eerily familiar number saved in it which I dialed.

"227, off Lexington Street in 15 minutes" a coarse, artificially modulated voice on the other end said.

I hurriedly grabbed my Makarov and threw it into the glove compartment as I drove off to the address, fully aware that I may be walking headfirst into a snare. Arriving and heading into the dilapidated structure, I was met by the sight of my former partner unconscious,gagged and tied on the floor.

Impulse her name is, or at least the name she was given by the physicist, partly due to the physicist's unhealthy obsession with scientific terms and partly due to her tendency to be a bit of a loose cannon. A trait that has gotten us into a few hairy situations on our missions in the past.

"What is this?" I barked at the armed men standing guard over her unconscious body. Putting on my best poker face to hide my now very real fear.

"This, my dear Vector is incentive." answered a voice from a dimly-lit corner of the warehouse.

"Or do you prefer I call you Victor, i heard you've grown quite fond of the name." she said, puffing on her signature cigarette.

"what do you want?" I asked, doggedly pushing forward with the conversation.

"I'll make this simple for you, Vector. There is a package waiting for you at home: accept and complete the mission and your friend here gets to keep her head; decline or fail and there won't be much of her left for you bury".

Sitting in my living room and getting debriefed by a holographic interface was akin to dragging my bare testicles over a floor made of glass shards. I wanted this over with so I could retreat into my well-crafted cocoon of drudgery. Something I wanted to give impulse a shot at, something she has desired for as long as I've known her. As soon I got the information I needed from the hologram, I picked up the passport and plane ticket provided by the unit and off I was to Istanbul.

Shortly after checking into a hotel under the pseudonym provided, I headed for the site of a dead drop and retrieved the documents necessary for the completion of my mission which for some reason was to frame Fethullah Gulen , a Muslim cleric for masterminding a failed coup d'etat. Identifying a few choice locations and personalities connected to the outspoken clergyman proved to be a piece of cake. Planting the documents however proved to be trickier than I had anticipated.

Successful however I was, fleeing the country almost immediately after to avoid being stuck when the government inevitably grounds domestic and international flights but not before I anonymously tipped off the local securities and left them to follow the breadcrumbs to Gulen and his Hizmet movement.

Touching down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport couldn't have come soon enough and I found myself bolting through the crowd on my way out. With my patience exhausted, I made a beeline for our agreed meeting point with the physicist- an abandoned slaughterhouse on the outskirts of the city. What I found was something that I had long suspected was the way this bargain was always going to swing. Impulse's severed head mounted on a meat hook, swinging chillingly with her eyes dead open and her mouth agape.

This was what the government hands me as a reward for my service. What was the point of it all? The assassinations, the infiltrations, the betrayals. Here I was, just returning from a foreign country after implicating an innocent man in a mad dash for power he took no part in- an outspoken, largely derided man, sure. But an innocent man nonetheless.

I'd never thought of it before but it was clear to me now that I was a part of the problem. An admittedly tiny, nigh on insignificant gear in the grand wheels of viciousness and punitive measures employed by world powers to protect their interests. It may pointless ultimately but my cycle of violence ends today.

Pearly tears were gliding down my chin as I pulled out my glock from it's concealed holster . I Pulled back on the slide,shoving a round into the chamber and resting the cold muzzle on my temple, I knew the end of the line for me was here and now.

'BANG!'

Epilogue :

I knew no other life other than the one mapped out for me by the puppeteers. I am who they made me into.
Versed in Espionage, Camouflage, Trickery, Obliteration and Reconnaissance. My name is V.E.C.T.O.R.

WORD COUNT; 991

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 4:01am On Jul 16, 2017
FIRSTGENTLEMAN1, LAURELYN, JETJACKY, BARRIKADE. You guys gave me unnecessary hard work by replying and sending your stories to the previous email. Totally not cool.

To the rest of the participants, Most of you didn't follow the instruction when I said to paragraph your work. I should have just let your work be and posted it here unedited so you can read it, that's if you can as it's all clumsy and ill-packed. I decided to be lenient. Again, not cool people. Giving me unnecessary hard work.

Exhausted and tired. embarassed embarassed embarassed

More info coming up

4 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 5:47am On Jul 16, 2017
kinwayne:
FIRSTGENTLEMAN1, LAURELYN, JETJACKY, BARRIKADE. You guys gave me unnecessary hard work by replying and sending your stories to the previous email. Totally not cool.

Most of you didn't follow the instruction when I said to paragraph your work. I should have just let your work be and posted it here unedited so you can read it, that's if you can as it's all clumsy and ill-packed. I decided to be lenient. Again, not cool people. Giving me unnecessary hard work.

More info coming up
so sorry. Next time, I will double space. Thanks a lot.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Lleigh(f): 6:47am On Jul 16, 2017
Well done kinwayne thanks.

Great stories too, well done writers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 6:52am On Jul 16, 2017
I have read the write-ups of all those who kept the word count: 1000. They're wonderful. Really really nice.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by meneski(m): 8:38am On Jul 16, 2017
nice one guyz let the better writer win.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Firstgentleman1(m): 9:22am On Jul 16, 2017
kinwayne:

To the rest of the participants, Most of you didn't follow the instruction when I said to paragraph your work. I should have just let your work be and posted it here unedited so you can read it, that's if you can as it's all clumsy and ill-packed. I decided to be lenient. Again, not cool people. Giving me unnecessary hard work.

More info coming up
I am sorry bro, there might have been some mix up. I edited mine properly. I made use of double line spacing all through. I am sorry if it turned out poorly at your side. So so sorry for the inconvenience....
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2017
Firstgentleman1:
I am sorry bro, there might have been some mix up. I edited mine properly. I made use of double line spacing all through. I am sorry if it turned out poorly at your side. So so sorry for the inconvenience....

You sent your story to the previous mail rather than creating a new one

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Firstgentleman1(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2017
kinwayne:

You sent your story to the previous mail rather than creating a new one
I am sorry bro... Forgive my carelessness
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 11:06am On Jul 16, 2017
Firstgentleman1:
I am sorry bro... Forgive my carelessness

Its nothing.. We're cool

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by laurelyn(f): 12:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
kinwayne:

More info coming up

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Kusibe77(m): 12:50pm On Jul 16, 2017
These are so cool. continues reading....

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Chidexter(m): 1:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
Weldone guys, great read.

3 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
Wow nice stories but 1. Bull Eye by Talius 2. Larrysun 3. Rage by Hazkel 4. Coup d etat by Drlaykay 5. Convex by Childstar 6. Slayed by Chidstar These writers really impress me with their imaginations. Thumbs up to all the organisers may the fittests survive the race.

3 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2017
Please judges. Go through the stories and submit your 7 nominations to my mail. "Chikerelance@gmail.com"

Please do this by tomorrow. Thank you

Lleigh
Divepen1
Kimberlywest
Princesa

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 8:43pm On Jul 16, 2017
Hazkel story, I really loved reading it. Gsteve001 collins10, Larrysun: I loved reading your works. Larrysun, yours had a twist I never saw coming. Nice smiley
Nice work guys, and thanks for sharing your imagination with us. smiley

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Lleigh(f): 9:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
kinwayne:
Please judges. Go through the stories and submit your 7 nominations to my mail. "Chikerelance@gmail.com"

Please do this by tomorrow. Thank you

Lleigh
Divepen1
Kimberlywest
Princesa

Ok will do and will put on email and WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 9:34am On Jul 17, 2017
Spyked by Chidexter

CONS- 1. Very Flawed logic: your employers had no reason to use your partner as a bargaining chip because as long as your character was concerned, he had no knowledge of hulk's detention. So they could simply have sent Dexta on the mission as he has been a true professional so far.
Then there was the planting of the bomb in plane. I don't know how far away Kirkland was from your base but 2 days seems like an awfully short time to be able to plant a bomb, travel, complete the mission and return to base.
I know it's a 1000 word story and cuts had to be made to fit in a contained story, but that flaw stood out like a sore thumb to me.

PROS- 1. The bits of humor you threw in- Dorobucci Republic and the analogies - the Adele of the spy world etc.

Movie Most similar to- The man from U.N.C.L.E

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 9:46am On Jul 17, 2017
Convex by Esixlove

CON- Too much emphasis on firearm models very few people care about, wasting valuable word space in the process which could have been used to develop the story further. The tension is also severely lacking. Also, one too many typos.

PRO Supreme attention to detail. Kinda funny how one of your story's most obvious weakness turned out to be it's greatest strength . you took the time to name The type of nerve agents used by your character and even where they were manufactured- North Korea. Which is actually very believable. Awesome action sequences too.

Movie most similar to - Kingsman: the secret service.

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by LarrySun(m): 10:09am On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1, I love your reviews. You're doing a great job. Well done, sir.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2017
Rage by Hazkel

CON- Bogus and a bit too formulaic. We the readers know the mission took place in Belgium but the origin of your character or the location of his base is left unknown. It's good to have a bit of mystery around your character but the absence of vital pieces of information like these made it hard for me to create a mental picture of the protagonist. Spy stories have been done to death: the hero is double crossed only to vow retribution. Everyone could see that ending coming a mile away. So it would've been nice to see you do something new with the premise.

PRO-The choice of words used to paint a picture of the various scenarios the protagonist found himself in were top notch stuff. The whole wetsuit and goggles scene gave me a pleasant case of deja vu of my days playing Splinter cell. Decent action sequences. Paced your story excellently as well.

Movie most similar to- Mission: impossible

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Nairaland Detection Club 2 - 2014. For Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014. / Chimamanda Adichie Clarifies Her Statement About Trans Women.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.