Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,842 members, 7,828,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread (17784 Views)

Story Thread / Stars 2017 Nairaland Literature Writing Competition / IV Club's Creative Writing Competition 2017 | Winning Prize N70,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 10:17am On Jul 17, 2017
LarrySun:
IamLEGEND1, I love your reviews. You're doing a great job. Well done, sir.
Thank you, bro.
I'm reading the stories randomly, so i Haven't read yours yet. But I hear say you na boss around this parts.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by LarrySun(m): 10:27am On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
Thank you, bro.
I'm reading the stories randomly, so i Haven't read yours yet. But I hear say you na boss around this parts.

Me? A boss? shocked I wish. I'm just a learner. I read the other stories and I felt ashamed about myself. A lot of research works were evident. I just love competitions, and trying my hands with different genres. Don't read my work with a master's expectations lest you end up being disappointed. People exaggerate a lot. angry

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Chidexter(m): 10:36am On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
Spyked by Chidexter

CONS- 1. Very Flawed logic: your employers had no reason to use your partner as a bargaining chip because as long as your character was concerned, he had no knowledge of hulk's detention. So they could simply have sent Dexta on the mission as he has been a true professional so far.
Then there was the planting of the bomb in plane. I don't know how far away Kirkland was from your base but 2 days seems like an awfully short time to be able to plant a bomb, travel, complete the mission and return to base.
I know it's a 1000 word story and cuts had to be made to fit in a contained story, but that flaw stood out like a sore thumb to me.

PROS- 1. The bits of humor you threw in- Dorobucci Republic and the analogies - the Adele of the spy world etc.

Movie Most similar to- The man from U.N.C.L.E

IamLEGEND1:
Spyked by Chidexter

CONS- 1. Very Flawed logic: your employers had no reason to use your partner as a bargaining chip because as long as your character was concerned, he had no knowledge of hulk's detention. So they could simply have sent Dexta on the mission as he has been a true professional so far.
Then there was the planting of the bomb in plane. I don't know how far away Kirkland was from you base but 2 days seems like an awfully short time to be able to plant a bomb, travel, complete the mission and return to base.
I know it's a 1000 word story and cuts had to be made to fit in a contained story, but that flaw stood out like a sore thumb to me.

PROS- 1. The bits of humor you threw in- Dorobucci Republic and the analogies - the Adele of the spy world etc.

Movie Most similar to- The man from U.N.C.L.E

Lol, he was detained and I was called to look for the chip which according to employers, it contained sensitive information. After being beaten, obviously he told dem d location. While the bomb I planted it before going on d mission. Cos I knew I'd be killed once am back from the mission anyway. But as you rightly said the word count hindered me from explaining in details.

I really need to work on being able to squeeze in enough details regardless of d number of words allowed. I'm glad you found some part funny, lol. I strive to get better. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1

I love the way you're reviewing the stories, got a free time to check mine too? wink
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 10:43am On Jul 17, 2017
Obsidian by Barrikade

CON- Absence of any action sequence. I think a spy/action/thriller needs a good shootout or two. You could've fleshed out V.E.C.T.O.R's partner a bit more. Some of the writers went the easier route and used family members, so their character's motivation was clear. but i didn't care all that much when he found impulse dead.

PRO- The ending. I'm a sucker for non-conventional endings and you really delivered. I was expecting the usual vow of vengeance
So the
'now i am become death' style of epiphany was a welcome twist. Loved the original premise too. Taking Turkey's real-life attempted coup and adding a new twist to it. Kinda makes up for the lack of action scenes.

Movie most similar to- Argo.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by drlaykay(m): 10:49am On Jul 17, 2017
Nice job sir @ IamLEGEND1

Total review and criticism was what I was expecting when I put in for the competition..

Kindly help review my story...
Thanks..
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 10:51am On Jul 17, 2017
LarrySun:
Me? A boss? shocked I wish. I'm just a learner. I read the other stories and I felt ashamed about myself. A lot of research works were evident. I just love competitions, and trying my hands with different genres. Don't read my work with a master's expectations lest you end up being disappointed. People exaggerate a lot. angry
Don't sweat it. I am not a very frequent visitor of this section so I have zero preconceptions.
I would have loved to have competed in this thing but I can't write a story to save my life...... My own na just reviews.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
Don't sweat it. I am not a very frequent visitor of this section so I have zero preconceptions.
I would have loved to have competed in this thing but I can't write a story to save my life...... My own na just reviews.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the reviews, atleast If a story doesn't get picked, the writer will know where he or she got it wrong.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 11:18am On Jul 17, 2017
SPYTRAYAL by tuham

CON- The ending was hugely anticlimactic. And the characters too cliché and underdeveloped. Evil boss- check. Family member in peril- check. Shady organization- check. And You were expecting to quit with your life still intact? The organization is called 'Kamikaze spy' for crying out loud. That should have been a burning red flag. Oh! and there are lots of typos too.

PRO- I got just 3words bro: Cross dressing spy. LOL! Since the organisers decided to keep the gender of the spy male,You decided to go semi-rogue.
I see you bruh.

Movie most similar to- Mulan. But with spies.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by GSteve001(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2017
Can't believe I refreshed this page 10 times already. Interesting. smiley

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 17, 2017
Thanks for the review IamLEGEND1 Would improvise some other time
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 11:50am On Jul 17, 2017
The Falconian by LarrySun

CON- No action scenes. I'm starting to see a pattern emerging- There are those who are into massive action set pieces/excitement(Hazel, Esixlove et al) and those who eschew that to have room for more drama (Barrikade and yourself). I liked the minimalist storytelling with most it being set in a single building and all but you still left the overall setting a bit too ambiguous.

PRO- Again, the ending. I can't help myself when it comes to twists and you delivered in full. The premise wasn't original but it was watertight, helps make the lack of action less obvious.

Movie most similar to- Sicario.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by prahcetomi(m): 11:52am On Jul 17, 2017
Nice reviews @ iamlegend..Please review mine.Thanks.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by LarrySun(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
The Falconian by LarrySun

CON- No action scenes. I'm starting to see a pattern emerging- There are those who are into massive action set pieces/excitement(Hazel, Esixlove et al) and those who eschew that to have room for more drama (Barrikade and yourself). I liked the minimalist storytelling with most it being set in a single building and all but you still left the overall setting a bit too ambiguous.

PRO- Again, the ending. I can't help myself when it comes to twists and you delivered in full. The premise wasn't original but it was watertight, helps make the lack of action less obvious.

Movie most similar to- Sicario.
Thank you for this. This means a lot. Thanks. smiley
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2017
the spy's bane by Gsteve001

CON- most parts of the story were going just fine until you introduced the poison/antidote plot point out of nowhere without any foreshadowing. Takes a leap in logic to understand how Ben even knew she was injected with a poison in the first place.
I know word count was taken into consideration and you probably had no time to expand some facets of the story, which is exactly why that plot point should not have been introduced so far into your story. And the ending..... Too formulaic. Also, your punctuations were off at times i had to double takes.

PRO- You paced your story brilliantly and there were few moments . no massive shootouts but I think that was a wise choice as it kept the heist aspect of the story moving smoothly. Good to shift the perspective to the third person as well,gives the readers a fresh perspective.

Movie most similar to - Catch that kid (With shadier people in play).
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2017
will be back for more later. Man gatz chop.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by GSteve001(m): 1:09pm On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
will be back for more later. Man gatz chop.
you tried.
I really loved the reviews. thanks.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Galacious1: 2:37pm On Jul 17, 2017
LarrySun:
You can undervalue yourself all you want, it doesn't reduce d respect we have for you. Twale!
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by ESIXLOVE: 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
Convex by Esixlove

CON- Too much emphasis on firearm models very few people care about, wasting valuable word space in the process which could have been used to develop the story further. The tension is also severely lacking. Also, one too many typos.

PRO Supreme attention to detail. Kinda funny how one of your story's most obvious weakness turned out to be it's greatest strength . you took the time to name The type of nerve agents used by your character and even where they were manufactured- North Korea. Which is actually very believable. Awesome action sequences too.

Movie most similar to - Kingsman: the secret service.
what more can I say. Thanks for the review, I'm seriously in awe of what you've done. For learners like myself it's always fabulous to know that someone took out time to read what we've written.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 8:57pm On Jul 17, 2017
Quietly waiting for mine.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by princesa(f): 12:32am On Jul 18, 2017
kinwayne:

Please judges. Go through the stories and submit your 7 nominations to my mail. "Chikerelance@gmail.com"

Please do this by tomorrow. Thank you

Lleigh
Divepen1
Kimberlywest
Princesa

Will definitely send in today, sorry i couldn't make it yesterday..
...reading up...

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 2:29am On Jul 18, 2017
princesa:

Will definitely send in today, sorry i couldn't make it yesterday..
...reading up...

That's fine.. We're all waiting.

Divepen1 please don't forget to send yours.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 18, 2017
Just wanted to say kudos to everyone

Kinwayne who took time and energy to publish the stories on this platform - i even noticed you updating at midnight smiley

To the judges :

Lleigh
Divepen1
Kimberlywest
Princesa

Reading stories worth of thousand characters and analyzing them is not an easy task
To writers,
You guys really all tried. Coming up with something and patching it till it makes sense

Wishing everyone all the best wink

6 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 7:53am On Jul 18, 2017
A story by Chipappii

CON- I know this is a spy story but there were too many moments that required a total suspension of disbelief. Prison guards strip you down to your balls and provide you with prison approved clothing and footwear, how John Doe got in with his CIA shoes remains a mystery. Then he went from taking cover to suddenly exchanging gunfire with guards using a gun he took from a guard he shot with a gun no one knows how he got.
And then your ending: again, i could see that from a mile away. You have to understand that the audience knows that your lover gets killed either way so you have to shock us in other ways as that particular plot line carries no tension whatsoever.

PRO- the structure of your story and how much time you spent constructing the environment your character found himself in. I loved that_shit.
And then your action sequences and getaway,it was short but fun & exciting.

Movie most similar to- Escape plan.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by pablobellins(m): 8:23am On Jul 18, 2017
LarrySun:
so down to earth please, do not forsake black maria

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 8:44am On Jul 18, 2017
A bullet in wine by Jetjacky

CON- Save for some typos and the ending (the reason which you should know by now) , the main problem was: Confusion.
We left Agent Smith beating the life out of you in a restroom and preparing to blow your brains out and the next scene has you handing the flash drive over to your boss. I began to wonder if the line
"... Agent Smith gave after our romance in the snake cave." was meant to be taken literally or as a metaphor. Then your setting shifted suddenly from Birmingham to Lagos for no reason i considered the possibility of Agent Max hallucinating due to the concussion. The story just kept pulling me all over the place I didn't know which way to go.

PRO- The
catch me if you can premise was fresh and a welcome change of pace. Gives the competition variety. I loved the choice of descriptive words as well, they gave a vivid image, which is essential when are required to write a story of a 1000 words.

Movie most similar to- Mr & Mrs Smith. Just a lot more confusing.

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 9:21am On Jul 18, 2017
A story by Laurelyn

CON- The devil is in the details. A thousand word story only has so much room for exposition. Which brings me to my next point- your dialog. You could've used the dialog to drop important pieces of information like who Keith worked for and where they were based, his nationality, where widow's castle was located. Etc. Helps elevate the reader's chrono-spatial awareness Which leads to a more immersive experience. You leaned a bit too much into character caricatures.....evil boss, shady shadow organisation et al. Could've used more drama and tension.

PRO- Your structuring was excellent. I didn't have to try to remember something I may have missed which made the story flow quite well. While The heist nature of the story may not be the most original premise out there, it was interesting to read.

Movie most similar to- Anything for her.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by laurelyn(f): 9:45am On Jul 18, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
A story by Laurelyn

CON- The devil is in the details. A thousand word story only has so much room for exposition. Which brings me to my next point- your dialog. You could've used the dialog to drop important pieces of information like who Keith worked for and where they were based, his nationality, where widow's castle was located. Etc. Helps elevate the reader's chrono-spatial awareness Which leads to a more immersive experience. You leaned a bit too much into character caricatures.....evil boss, shady shadow organisation et al. Could've used more drama and tension.

PRO- Your structuring was excellent. I didn't have to try to remember something I may have missed which made the story flow quite well. While The heist nature of the story may not be the most original premise out there, it was interesting to read.

Movie most similar to- Anything for her.

Thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate it.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 9:50am On Jul 18, 2017
Coup d'etat by Drlaykay

CON- Inconsistency in your choice of storytelling perspective. You started your story in the the third person then suddenly switched to the first person. And you don't have to always hold the readers' hands, you need to give readers a little puzzle to decipher on their own:
"Covert means secret, 24470 represents highly important assignment, gency culled from emergency and 001 refers to the number one boss." you need to trust that the reader can figure some things out without you spelling it out for him/her. This only led to a bloating of your story: 125 words extra. Generic ending. A number of typos.

PRO- I loved the overarching plot lines all building up to the the same end game. too many moving parts for a story this short but you made it work even if your words went above count. I have no idea if it was meant to be comedic or sad but the protagonist having no testicles made me laugh.

Movie most similar to- White house down (with more diabolical goons).
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by drlaykay(m): 10:10am On Jul 18, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
Coup d'etat by Drlaykay

CON- Inconsistency in your choice of storytelling perspective. You started your story in the the third person then suddenly switched to the first person. And you don't have to always hold the readers' hands, you need to give readers a little puzzle to decipher on their own:
"Covert means secret, 24470 represents highly important assignment, gency culled from emergency and 001 refers to the number one boss." you need to trust that the reader can figure some things out without you spelling it out for him/her. This only led to a bloating of your story: 125 words extra. Generic ending. A number of typos.

PRO- I loved the overarching plot lines all building up to the the same end game. too many moving parts for a story this short but you made it work even if your words went above count. I have no idea if it was meant to be comedic or sad but the protagonist having no testicles made me laugh.

Movie most similar to- White house down (with more diabolical goons).
Thanks Bro, you are truly a legend. cheesy
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2017
A story by Prahcetomi

CON- A dearth of details. The only location mentioned was Ibiza, and nothing else. Then the liberal use of phrases like "secret mission clothes", "secret spy mission", "secret name" and explaining what a dagger shoe does. Sounded like you were writing the story for a bunch of 12yr olds. Then a minor case of broken logic- how deadshot went from the top of a high rise building to changing into a suit and checking himself out in a mirror is beyond me. If he knew the only way in was to disguise himself then why swing onto the top of the building in the first place? Typos and a number of wrong punctuations.

PROS- I liked the memoir style of the story. A fresh take on an already established premise is always welcome.
The all round structure of it was good, Kept the story from being boring. Excellent way to foreshadow deadshot's future with the last few lines.

Movie most similar to - the saint
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 11:20am On Jul 18, 2017
Sabotage by firstgentleman1

CON- The ending was a disappointment. That is only due to the way the story was setup which made me hope for a twist which never came. Like I've said in the review of another story, the fate of the loved one in peril had been spoiled by the organisers so the shock value there is nonexistent. Writers should have avoided the temptation to go the obvious route of revenge-seeking agent who was double-crossed. This has led to a lot of stories having a near verbatim ending.

PRO- The way you cut between the events leading up to the present and events after that was beautiful. There was no confusion as to what was happening and when it was happening. A very common pitfall of stories containing flashback scenes. No action but the drama and snappy dialog kinda made up for that.

Movie most similar to- American hustle.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Nairaland Detection Club 2 - 2014. For Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014. / Chimamanda Adichie Clarifies Her Statement About Trans Women.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.