Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread (17739 Views)

Story Thread / Stars 2017 Nairaland Literature Writing Competition / IV Club's Creative Writing Competition 2017 | Winning Prize N70,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by princesa(f): 11:45am On Jul 18, 2017
IamLegend... Love your reviews, they were honest and constructive, it added spice to this competition, keep it up..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Collins10(m): 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
A story by Prahcetomi

CON- A dearth of details. The only location mentioned was Ibiza, and nothing else. Then the liberal use of phrases like "secret mission clothes", "secret spy mission", "secret name" and explaining what a dagger shoe does. Sounded like you were writing the story for a bunch of 12yr olds. Then a minor case of broken logic- how deadshot went from the top of a high rise building to changing into a suit and checking himself out in a mirror is beyond me. If he knew the only way in was to disguise himself then why swing onto the top of the building in the first place? Typos and a number of wrong punctuations.

PROS- I liked the memoir style of the story. A fresh take on an already established premise is always welcome.
The all round structure of it was good, Kept the story from being boring. Excellent way to foreshadow deadshot's future with the last few lines.

Movie most similar to - the saint
Good day Bro.... You are amazing. Kindly look into mine when you have the time. God bless....
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
A bullet in wine by Jetjacky

CON- Save for some typos and the ending (the reason which you should know by now) , the main problem was: Confusion.
We left Agent Smith beating the life out of you in a restroom and preparing to blow your brains out and the next scene has you handing the flash drive over to your boss. I began to wonder if the line
"... Agent Smith gave after our romance in the snake cave." was meant to be taken literally or as a metaphor. Then your setting shifted suddenly from Birmingham to Lagos for no reason i considered the possibility of Agent Max hallucinating due to the concussion. The story just kept pulling me all over the place I didn't know which way to go.

PRO- The
catch me if you can premise was fresh and a welcome change of pace. Gives the competition variety. I loved the choice of descriptive words as well, they gave a vivid image, which is essential when are required to write a story of a 1000 words.

Movie most similar to- Mr & Mrs Smith. Just a lot more confusing.
I'm so glad. Having someone review my work like this. I'm so glad. And thanks for pointing out the errors.
That line was meant as a metaphor.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by IamLEGEND1: 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2017
Bull's eye by Talius

CON- a good amount of backstory is good. And i've certainly talked about a few stories here that had too little of it. Your story went in the opposite direction and had too much backstory to the detriment of your work. So much words were used up building the character's history that the events in the present basically became an afterthought. And somehow the protagonist still remained nameless in spite of all that exposition. The four lines of dialog you put in your story were a little on the nose as well because I find it hard to believe that seasoned professionals like your character and the hitman would actually say those things.

PRO- The story moved fast enough, even if most of the time was spent learning about a character with no name. I loved that you managed to avoid the common mistake of ending your story with the protagonist vowing to hunt for those who did him wrong. Full marks for that.

Movie most similar to- Bourne identity (with no amnesia).

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by meneski(m): 7:27pm On Jul 18, 2017
hey make una show us those who made it na... Oga kinwayn
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Chipappii(m): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
IamLEGEND1:
A story by Chipappii

CON- I know this is a spy story but there were too many moments that required a total suspension of disbelief. Prison guards strip you down to your balls and provide you with prison approved clothing and footwear, how John Doe got in with his CIA shoes remains a mystery. Then he went from taking cover to suddenly exchanging gunfire with guards using a gun he took from a guard he shot with a gun no one knows how he got.
And then your ending: again, i could see that from a mile away. You have to understand that the audience knows that your lover gets killed either way so you have to shock us in other ways as that particular plot line carries no tension whatsoever.

PRO- the structure of your story and how much time you spent constructing the environment your character found himself in. I loved that_shit.
And then your action sequences and getaway,it was short but fun & exciting.

Movie most similar to- Escape plan.

Thanks bro
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 7:57pm On Jul 18, 2017
We're still waiting on divepen1 for his nominations.. Please go through the stories and drop your nominations in my mail. Thank you. ⏰

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Abelosas222(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
admin I didn't see this in time..can I still participate? or is it too late for me?
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Abelosas222(m): 9:58pm On Jul 18, 2017
hello please can I still participate in this competition? I just got the information now..I dont know if I am already late
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Jetjacky(m): 10:24pm On Jul 18, 2017
Abelosas222:
admin I didn't see this in time..can I still participate? or is it too late for me?
for now no: the time for making known your interest has elapsed. But by God's grace, there will be a next time, bro.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2017
All nominations have been received.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 12:58am On Jul 19, 2017
With all the amazing talent in show here, it's more of a struggle trying to decide who the winner is.

I want to thank you all for taking the time out to participate in this competition.

Each and everyone of you is a winner. Never forget that.

I also want to thank the judges.

Divepen1, for lifting my ban twice in ridiculously record time ⏰when the anti-spam bot was against me grin�⛲ even at midnight.. Thank you.

Lleigh. � I haven't read your story yet but I've been receiving your mentions. Don't worry, I promise to read it some time, I just haven't had the time, yet. Thank you for deciding to sponsor the competition.

Princesa, back in 2014, I won your prize for upcoming writer. That has seen me step up to higher levels, earn and become better at my craft.

KimberlyWest, thanks for being here for us. I'd also get around to read your stories.

IamLegend1, I see you!

The winners of the STARS WRITING COMPETITION 2017 would be announced by 6pm Wednesday.. Stay tuned.

Prize list

The top seven (7) nominations would receive;

First place: N10, 000
Second place: N7, 000
Third place: N5, 000
Fourth place: N2, 000

The remaining three participants would each receive airtime gifts

Once again, thank you for participating everyone. I'm glad we could make this a success. I believe we're all matured to accept the results of the competition whatever the outcome.

Thank you. I'm Chikere. You can reach me on 08114957127/Whatsapp.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by meneski(m): 6:06am On Jul 19, 2017
see suspencesee suspencesee suspence

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Abelosas222(m): 6:17am On Jul 19, 2017
Alright..Thanks
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 5:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
The time of announcement for the competition winners has been postponed till 10pm. Please stay tuned

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by meneski(m): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2017
shuuu!
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:18pm On Jul 19, 2017
It's show time!

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
kinwayne:
It's show time!
Still waiting.
Please, my heart is fragile.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:54pm On Jul 19, 2017
The seventh placed winner is;

Naijachild

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:55pm On Jul 19, 2017
The sixth placed winner is:

Chipappii

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
The fifth position:

Hazkel
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 9:58pm On Jul 19, 2017
The fourth placed winner:

Firstgentleman1

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 10:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
The third place winner:

Larrysun
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 10:01pm On Jul 19, 2017
The first runner up is:

Laurelyn

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 10:02pm On Jul 19, 2017
And the winner of the competition is
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 10:03pm On Jul 19, 2017
Gsteve001
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Chipappii(m): 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2017
kinwayne:
The sixth placed winner is:

Chipappii

Yee. At least I tried.

Thanks brother Kinwaye and everyone here.
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by kinwayne(m): 10:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
A lot of factors were taken into consideration when deciding on the winners. I want to believe we would all be matured and accept the results.

Congratulations to all the winners.

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Chipappii(m): 10:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
kinwayne:
The seventh placed winner is;

Naijachild

Congrats.

kinwayne:
The fifth position:

Hazkel

Congrats

kinwayne:
The fourth placed winner:

Firstgentleman1

Congrats

kinwayne:
The third place winner:

Larrysun

Congrats

kinwayne:
The first runner up is:

Laurelyn

Congrats

kinwayne:
Gsteve001

Congratulations.

1 Like

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by BARRIKADE: 10:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
This competition was awesome. Great work all round. Looking forward to more of these.

2 Likes

Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by queenitee(f): 10:09pm On Jul 19, 2017
Congrats *clapping* congrats congrats congrats
Re: Stars 2017 Writing Competition Updates & Story Thread by Countrygirl(f): 10:10pm On Jul 19, 2017
Congratulations to everyone of them

Thanks kinwayne for the competition and to all the judges for their time , and to the Readers Association of Nairaland

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Nairaland Detection Club 2 - 2014. For Nairaland Writers Collaboration 2014. / I Am Done With Honorary Awards, Says Soyinka / Chimamanda Adichie Clarifies Her Statement About Trans Women.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.