Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055341 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (1688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
The major difference between the above servos and the PRAG 10kVA & 5kVA (I had to specify that because PRAG 20kVA is different, it has the same design with these ones) is the second toroidal transformer coupled to the servo motor. I have not yet found out what it does in the circuit (I will do sometime). But I just notice that the ones with this configuration have smoother output and are more durable.

The picture below shows the second toroidal transformer with the servo motor inside the BRIAN/NEUTEC

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2013
20 KVA PRAG with 2 transformers

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
shithapuns: i have a battery bank {2 x 200amp) that i have used for about 2yrs.........now i want to increase my capacity and buy 2 x 200amp battery to form my 2nd bank...my qquestion is....can i combine both banks...say using the copper bar as george d used?

its a 24v inverter so the batteries will in in series n then parallel....the system would be connected to a 1kw 24v solar panel and a cc charge controller.....but my major concern is if i can combine the old and new battery bank............without the old battery affecting the life/performance of the new........am thinking since they are in different strings that the effect would be negligible...but am open to ideas/comments from folks here

In this kind of situation I use a BATTERY SELECTOR SWITCH to combine the banks while charging and run separate banks (one at a time) while inverting.
The switch is available in manual (1st pic) and automatic form (2nd pic)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 7:35pm On Dec 02, 2013
WOW COOL!.......how does the automatic work?..is it programmable or it detects when one banks juice is slow and switches to the other
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 8:11pm On Dec 02, 2013
shithapuns: WOW COOL!.......how does the automatic work?..is it programmable or it detects when one banks juice is slow and switches to the other

It automatically combines the banks when there is mains supply to charge the batteries and disconnects them when mains supply is out leaving your preferred bank connected.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:10am On Dec 03, 2013
richmon74,

your experience with renewables is quite invaluable.

it is exactly the kind of turnaround we need on the thread.

ok, as for the prag stabiliser, unfortunately, it seems to be a case of who makes the loudest noise.
peeps don't even know that there are better alternatives in the market just because the other
competitors choose not to cover everywhere with adverts.

and, the battery selector switch seems to be quite innovative. can it be used on 48v battery banks
too?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 12:08pm On Dec 03, 2013
@thanks for ur response on d mount. pls i saw ur instaltn of cyberpower 7.5kva 48v. i am in d north & expctn a job in this realm and thinkn of using this. how s ur experienc of dis particular inverter

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pheleix: 12:53pm On Dec 03, 2013
@ All
Assuming your batteries are fully charged (@ floating state ) and you remove all source of charge does it's SOC remain at 100% if not what percentage does it fall to
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2013
richmon74:

In this kind of situation I use a BATTERY SELECTOR SWITCH to combine the banks while charging and run separate banks (one at a time) while inverting.
The switch is available in manual (1st pic) and automatic form (2nd pic)
After hours of painstaking research, I came about the manual switch which is traditionally used on boats to isolate the house battery from the starting battery. Months ago, I had a similar problem and asked for help. An inverter expert on Nairaland (some other thread) said I should dispose of the old batteries.
However, I don't charge the battery banks at the same time because I believe that their different ages, voltages , SOC and Ah may cause over or undercharging of one battery bank. I also believe that connecting them at different SOC will cause one to discharge to the other thus increasing the number of charge-discharge cycles.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2013
BONANZA BONANZA BONANZA !!!!!!

PERLIGHT solar panels... 12v 130 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

PERLIGHT solar panels... 24v 230 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

SHOTO telecomm batteries 12v 180a

MTN base station Telecomm Batteries

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor

MULTIPOWER Inverters of various KVA (MADE IN INDIA)

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951 .... THANKS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:26pm On Dec 04, 2013
George_D: richmon74,

your experience with renewables is quite invaluable.

it is exactly the kind of turnaround we need on the thread.

ok, as for the prag stabiliser, unfortunately, it seems to be a case of who makes the loudest noise.
peeps don't even know that there are better alternatives in the market just because the other
competitors choose not to cover everywhere with adverts.

and, the battery selector switch seems to be quite innovative. can it be used on 48v battery banks
too?

My Oga Thanks for the compliment though.
I must say this thread is invaluable. I have benefited a lot from it and there are thousands of others who do not post anything here but are reading/using these informations daily.

Yes the switch can be used for a 48v and the current rating is 350A which is enough for you to play with. It is a Make-before-break contact design which allows switching between battery banks without power interruption
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2013
richmon74,

if it can be used on 48v battery banks then i think i may need one too.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:28pm On Dec 04, 2013
dsunmade,

i doubt if there is any 'self-styled inverter expert' here on this thread - at least not any that we are
aware of. all of us are here to share knowledge as nobody knows it all. necessity as they say is the mother
of invention. you stumbled upon the manual battery combiner switch because you had a problem which
you were determined to solve despite advise to the contrary. that is the way to learn and we all have
been there at one point or the other. the next step for you to have taken is to share your experience with
the house so we can all learn from you - including the person that told you to throw away your batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 04, 2013
Point noted and taken
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 6:16pm On Dec 04, 2013

if it can be used on 48v battery banks then i think i may need one too.

I can arrange one for you anytime you are ready
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:13pm On Dec 04, 2013
richmon74,

looks like we have a deal then.
drop ur email or gsm let's talk outside of here.
thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:30pm On Dec 04, 2013

looks like we have a deal then.
drop ur email or gsm let's talk outside of here.
thanks!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 11:37pm On Dec 04, 2013
idsolar: @thanks for ur response on d mount. pls i saw ur instaltn of cyberpower 7.5kva 48v. i am in d north & expctn a job in this realm and thinkn of using this. how s ur experienc of dis particular inverter

Well, contrary to other peoples opinion, I am very comfortable with Cyberpower generally. As you can see in some off my job pics I posted earlier, I use a lot of Cyberpower and I can testify to the fact that of all the common inverters in our market Cyberpower has an edge.

Some of the attractive features are:
- They are not that fragile.
The only time I ever repaired one of them was when someone wrongly bridged the output to input at the DB and powered it. All I needed to do was replace the cct board and it was up again uptill now. There is no inverter that wouldn't fry in extreme situations light this.

I have never had any reason to repair any of Cyberpower on any other kind of breakdown. I didn't say they are indestructible but they are certainly better than it's closest rival - sukam/mopower. I've had various cases of sukam just breaking down on thier own.

- Added protection.
Buyright supplies additional protection for the cyberpower:- 40A MCA, 2 Pole 100A CB/Change over switch and a 64A AVS all from ABB. These devices are great if you ask me. I've experienced them acting very well on lighting and on voltage fluctuations in various cases making the protections on the inverter itself redundant.

- Other features that makes it ok for me is the ability for you to adjust the charging current (from 15A to 50A), output voltage, batt cutoff voltage, etc.

The High Frequency versions do not come with these external protections so in many cases I've had to still provide external protection. The picture below is one of such. These ones are very fragile. They give up at the slightest fluctuation/lighting. The good thing is that a 5mins replacement of a N100.00 worth varistor always fix it up.

About the bulk Charging:,
Oga Georg has a very big problem with Cyberpower being bulk chargers only inverter. Well, look at it these way, for people that don't use solar panels and live in areas where they can't even get enough public power supply to do a 100% bulk charge talk less of getting unto float state, buying the expensive inverters may not really make sense if the 3 stage charging is your target. So many inverter users fall under this category and that's why make Cyberpower my choice. For those who can get beyond these level, I give them solar panel with Tristar with supplements the missing 3 stage charging and in that case, my Cyberpower still serves.

Cyberpower Flaw:
A very great feature I miss in Cyberpower Inverters is the NO LOAD POWER OFF feature. It just runs constantly with or without load.

Disclaimer: Everything I've written here is my personal opinion. You are entitle to yours. I am in no way advertising for Cyberpower nor for Buyright. I am not stocked with Cyberpower. I use other products both higher ends and lower.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2013
@richmon thanks. buyright advertz 350k for it. is other items inclusv free? or how best to get it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 6:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
richmon74,

our discussion over the phone was quite refreshing. i'm glad for once we have someone in
the house ready to share some of his vast knowledge on installations which a lot of us never
had before.

about cyberpower, i think all you said is very true. before ever deciding to go for that inverter
in the first place, i took my time to read almost everything available including reviews from
outside our shores. all seemed very appealing and for over two years running, it was my dream
inverter. you can then imagine my disappointment when i eventually made the move only to end
up with a defective product! that first experience really pissed me off but i wouldn't have bothered
much but for the last flaw you mentioned which is the constant running fans even when no load
was being powered.coming from sukam which had temperature and load controlled fans, i could not
understand why an inverter which was supposed to be better than the rest of the competition
could not have a simple variable speed fan that was temperature controlled. i did complain
about this to one of our forum members at the time and i guess it was at that point i began
considering the possibility of going for a true high-end inverter.

as for ruggedness though, cyberpower is not bad at all and the lack of smart charging abilities can
always be compensated for by other means.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 7:45pm On Dec 05, 2013
idsolar: @richmon thanks. buyright advertz 350k for it. is other items inclusv free? or how best to get it?

100A changeover/mcb, 40A MCB & 64A AVS are included for free.

One thing I forgot to mention about cyberpower flaws in may last review is the defective screen back-light. The screen back-light just disapears after few days of use on almost every unit I've seen.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 8:25pm On Dec 05, 2013
richmon74:

100A changeover/mcb, 40A MCB & 64A AVS are included for free.

One thing I forgot to mention about cyberpower flaws in may last review is the defective screen back-light. The screen back-light just disapears after few days of use on almost every unit I've seen.
Please in yr dealings have you had any experience with MustPower inverters?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 8:53pm On Dec 05, 2013
DUNKA: Please in yr dealings have you had any experience with MustPower inverters?

Yes.
If you look at my second picture on the previous page you'll see a 6000W MustPower there beside the Cyberpower
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 5:54am On Dec 06, 2013
richmon74:

Yes.
If you look at my second picture on the previous page you'll see a 6000W MustPower there beside the Cyberpower
what would u say of its reliability viz a viz cyberpower/ sukam?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 8:16am On Dec 06, 2013
DUNKA: what would u say of its reliability viz a viz cyberpower/ sukam?

Features - excellent (carbon copy of xantrex)
Reliability - Poor

It's a low cost product so you should expect everything a low cost product in Naija should be like
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 8:25am On Dec 06, 2013
APART from birla ecogen which is quite scarce...any body has an inverter that displays battery charge status and batt depletion status in percentages/?..........
i used an 800kva birla ecogen sometime ago and really loved this fxn....but got tired of the inverter cos of the long transfer/switch over time......and the fact that it was always blowing the main fuse periodically..and also the small power rating
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 10:51am On Dec 06, 2013
shithapuns: APART from birla ecogen which is quite scarce...any body has an inverter that displays battery charge status and batt depletion status in percentages/?..........
i used an 800kva birla ecogen sometime ago and really loved this fxn....but got tired of the inverter cos of the long transfer/switch over time......and the fact that it was always blowing the main fuse periodically..and also the small power rating

Cyberpower -
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by feasy1(m): 11:54am On Dec 06, 2013
Professional Installers Needed.

For members of this thread who are professional installers there exist opportunities to become a sub-contractor to our company Arnergy installing Solar Energy systems in homes,businesses and industries across the nation. We use Premium Inverters mainly Outback for our premium/ niche customers and Arnergy branded Inverter/MPPT Charger (With Inverter and MPPT charger) for our mainstream clients.

If you are interested you can drop me a mail on md at arnergy.com indicating your interest and location.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 06, 2013
BONANZA BONANZA BONANZA !!!!!!

PERLIGHT solar panels... 12v 130 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

PERLIGHT solar panels... 24v 230 watts monocrystalline module » (USA STANDARDS)

SHOTO telecomm batteries 12v 180a

MTN base station Telecomm Batteries

Mercury 3.5kva 24v Pure sinewave lcd inverter (inbuilt 70ahm intelligent max charger for large battery bank) #charges with Gen unlike Cyberpower,, easy installation unlike cyberpower,,powers heavier appliances"inductive/resistive/motors/rectifier loads" with the help of 40 inbuilt powerful mosfets driving out o/p capacity of 2500w and max surge protect of 7500w under 0.7 power factor

MULTIPOWER Inverters of various KVA (MADE IN INDIA)

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

CALL FRANKIE NOW FOR SUPPLIES 08135031951 .... THANKS
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fikfik: 4:47am On Dec 07, 2013
idsolar: @richmon thanks. buyright advertz 350k for it. is other items inclusv free? or how best to get it?

If you don't mind pickup in Abuja, I know a major dealer that can get this for your cheaper. PM me if interested.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by geefivez(m): 8:01am On Dec 07, 2013
@all,

I want to know if luminious 0.8kva is a pure sine wave. I want to acquire it today. Just to compare between luminous and sukam. I read some where before about sukam falcon which is pure sine wave. I also want anybody that has the contact of luminous inverter to please drop it here.

Thanks.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by shithapuns: 12:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
pls anybody has a chart where i can confirm the correct cable size for 24v 45/50amp dc cable.....for my 45mppt charge controller ?....also whats the maximum distance i shud hv between the CC and battery bank

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (1688) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Ithaca(f), solasola(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.