Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,359 members, 7,815,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (697080 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Akin26: 10:45pm On Aug 03, 2017
Good evening house. Please to dose who have travelled with Air Marc i want to if my Nigeria phone charger can work in Casablanca. I mean if we use the same pug mouth. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mudi1012: 10:49pm On Aug 03, 2017
okay ..thanks
Timi1990:

Slightly lower than black market rate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Akin26: 10:52pm On Aug 03, 2017
Br please do we use thesame charger plug with Casablanca?
floraine:
All the best and thank God for safe trip

Let me confirm, your saying laptops are not allowed at all?

quote author=shayhune post=59062136]I really do wonder why some people magnify POE experience like it's another visa interview. As long as you're a genuine student and not planning to run way, you have nothing to fear.
I got to JFK yesterday. Joined the queue. I was so stressed out considering the heavy load I carried and the lesser layover time we had at Casablanca which was as a result of a 2hr delay in departure from Lagos. The queue was also very long and the CBPs were quite slow.

CBP: Is this your first time here?
Me: Yes
CBP: How long do you intend to stay here?
Me: 2yrs
CBP: Why do you intend to stay that long?
Me: "I was so tired that I just said rubbish". I'm going to study Masters programme which is for 2yrs. (who studies masters prog grin)
CBP: can I have your sevis?
Me: I thought he was referring to my sevis payment receipt. Gave it to him.
CBP: No. Your sevis?
Me: Now, I knew he was referring to my i20. Passed it to him.
He checked it and asked me to place my fingers for scanning and that was all. My passport was stamped. Wasn't up to a minute or two sef.

Also, the officers checking luggages simply asked me what I had in my box and i told them. I had already declared the important things like Egusi, Crayfish, Garri etc on the form. My luggages were not checked. I just walked outa there like it wasn't a big deal.

Also, I made use of the NYCAirporter (all thanks to Lagosismyhome's info) from JFK to Laguardia airport and it was hassle free and very comfortable. I made the payment in Naija before leaving($16). By the way, I'm heading to Ohio and I came in through JFK which isn't a big deal. I wonder why people just create unnecessary panic about such instances.

One more thing, if you are going with Royal Air Maroc, you're now allowed to carry your laptops with you in your carry on bags. Don't bother putting it in your checked in baggages. Also, Royal Air Maroc service was okay. The food wasn't top notch though but it was still good.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ecoleco: 10:52pm On Aug 03, 2017
gaviria:
So I got to my final destination(Illinois) like an hour ago.
My flight from Lagos to Casablanca was scheduled for 6:30am but got delayed till 10am on Wednesday morning, so I had gotten to the airport around 12am not knowing they had rescheduled the flight, so I stayed at the airport till the next morning with sleeping at all. So we left Lagos for Casablanca around 10:20 and got there around 14:30, meanwhile my stopover was to be 4 hours in Casablanca and we had already used that up in the Lagos delay, so as soon as we alighted those of us with the 4 hour stopover had to rush over to the departure terminal to leave immediately. So we left Casablanca around 15:20 and got to New York(JFK) at 7:30pm local time. The POE queue was freaking long. People of different color, race and gender all queuing to enter the US. We were sha moving small small till I got to the front. By the way I don't know why I've just been having that thought of secondary screening and each time it pops up in my head I just reject it. So I was put on a queue in front of one white CBP officer where I had some Asians and Europeans in front of me. The guy took one Asian and one European for secondary screening. I just said it cannot happen to me in my mind. Gbam it got to my turn
Me: Good evening sir
CBP: Good evening sir
I gave him my passport,i20 and SEVIS without him asking.
He stared at the passport and looked into my eyes, asked me to put my four fingers on the scanner, Checked my i20, stamped my passport, gave it to me and said "Next". He didn't ask me a single question. Not even why are you here? Or where are you headed? Or do you have garri and so? So I cleared immigration around 9:30pm at JFK. Moved to baggage claim, carried my 2 heavy boxes and my heavy hand luggage to luggage storage because my flight to St. Louis was for 5am in the morning and I can't be carrying heavy bags up and down the very big airport that someone can lost inside. So I had already checked online and saw that it's only in Terminal 4 that the luggage storage is run 24hours, so I moved from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 using AirTrain which is free within the airport. I stored my luggage, they don't weigh luggage o, they use the height of the box/bag to tell you how much you'll pay. Anyways I paid $16 to store the 3 boxes. I then proceeded to look for Terminal 8 which is where my American Airlines flight is. I went there and they told me check-in starts by 3am. So I went to Dunkin Donuts and bought Turkey with bacon and cheddar in flatbread and I ate it with iced coffee. Everything was $8.64. Then I used the free internet for 30minutes which was quite fast. Time went by and American Airlines delayed their flight till 6:30am, I waited again, meanwhile throughout my trip which was over 30hours by then I hadn't got more than 5 hours of sleep, noting that I didn't sleep the night before the day I left Nigeria because I was happy.
Cutting the story short even though it's very long already.lol. I left JFK to my destination around 7:00am Thursday and I got to my apartment around 13:00. The time is 14:58. And I really need to sleep.

Congrats on your safe trip. As per the bolded, it seems you have a total of 3 baggage. Two checked-in and one hand luggage. Did you pay extra for bags? I thought it's two bags that is allowed without additional cost. Cos I will also be using Royal Air Maroc.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 11:14pm On Aug 03, 2017
Akin26:
Good evening house. Please to dose who have travelled with Air Marc i want to if my Nigeria phone charger can work in Casablanca. I mean if we use the same pug mouth. Thanks
NO. Casablanca uses 2 round mouth plug.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by itzvictor: 11:33pm On Aug 03, 2017
Please all this schools that i came across are asking for SAT and toefl. And i haven't written any. Please what can be done??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by shayhune: 11:33pm On Aug 03, 2017
Akin26:
Br please do we use thesame charger plug with Casablanca?

Get an international adapter. It's #1000 at Computer Village, Ikeja. With it, you can use any socket in Casablanca and the US.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by jeebz: 11:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
itzvictor:
Please all this schools that i came across are asking for SAT and toefl. And i haven't written any. Please what can be done??

Register for the exams and write them.

Lobatan

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Oseni007(m): 11:47pm On Aug 03, 2017
Hello
Please can you show me a screen shot of what the adapter looks like....
Thanks.
shayhune:

Get an international adapter. It's #1000 at Computer Village, Ikeja. With it, you can use any socket in Casablanca and the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Okusi(m): 11:53pm On Aug 03, 2017
Good evening house, I applied for Msc Civil Engineering at Morgan State University for Fall 2017 but still awaiting decision. Can something still come out from that side since they are resuming on 22nd?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by floraine: 12:17am On Aug 04, 2017
Edakun!!!!

I don't know if it is something I am not doing correctly

I tried searching for flights from newyork(JFK) to Houston Texas and I am seeing alarming prices

Can someone kindly recommend an airline with a rational price so I can book from here

Or is it advisable to book my flight when I get to JFK

Your insight will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by electronic(m): 12:52am On Aug 04, 2017
floraine:
Edakun!!!!

I don't know if it is something I am not doing correctly

I tried searching for flights from newyork(JFK) to Houston Texas and I am seeing alarming prices

Can someone kindly recommend an airline with a rational price so I can book from here

Or is it advisable to book my flight when I get to JFK

Your insight will be greatly appreciated

Regards
Use this link to see rates then head to their sites and confirm

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#calendar:research=JFKIAH
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by floraine: 1:37am On Aug 04, 2017
Thank you

quote author=electronic post=59129760]
Use this link to see rates then head to their sites and confirm

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/#calendar:research=JFKIAH[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gaviria: 1:59am On Aug 04, 2017
ecoleco:

Congrats on your safe trip. As per the bolded, it seems you have a total of 3 baggage. Two checked-in and one hand luggage. Did you pay extra for bags? I thought it's two bags that is allowed without additional cost. Cos I will also be using Royal Air Maroc.
You can carry 2 checked bags and a hand luggage that can enter the overhead compartment and not more than 10kg. For those people that'll take connecting flights, you'll pay for your checked bags. For American Airlines it's $25 (plus $5 for the generation of the AA card since you don't have a credit card) a bag and $60 for 2 bags. But if one of your checked bags can fit in the overhead compartment then you can take it inside with you along with your hand luggage. That's something some people don't know. And it saved me $35.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by roland007: 2:09am On Aug 04, 2017
Hi nairalanders,

Can anyone suggests USA schools that provides 100% tuition free scholarships for students with high CGPA (above 90% e.g above 4.5 of 5) and a moderate GRE score ( between 305--315)?

Major: Physics
Any school is OK

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OluDare01(m): 2:11am On Aug 04, 2017
What's your major
roland007:
Hi nairalanders,

Can anyone suggests USA schools that provides 100% tuition free scholarships for students with high CGPA (above 90% e.g above 4.5 of 5) and a moderate GRE score ( between 305--315)?

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Abimmbolar: 2:15am On Aug 04, 2017
Hello house,So I reached USA on sunday morning and I thought to share my travel/POE experience.
Left nigeria on 29th on Qatar airways with a 2hrs stopover at Doha.Qatar was great with the flight hospitality and there was soooo much to eat and movies too.At a point,I skipped my meal pack and just said I was fine...make I no go constipate.
Fast forward to JFK POE ....it was a smooth experience,especially after I have read of somany scary experience on here.Got to the officer and he asked wat course I studied in ug..told him.and mentioned wat I will be studying for msc too.He was like cool,looked thru my i-20 probably for my sevis and then took fingerprints and then I got stamped.Customs was so smooth too,my box was not opened and the officers were all nice,although I declared all I had in the form.
My stay at Ny was mind blowing...stayed at queens and visited brooklyn and few days later,I left for missouri(sch).
My advice..pls dont pack toomuch load like me ooo.I escaped paying for extra luggage on qatar but for local flight here,luggage is damn expensive.I paid an extra $60 for extra luggage at the airport after paying $94 for bags when booking my flight,seat fare gaan was only $84.Dont be like me,pack just wats needed.
So far,U.S has been an awesome experience for me since I neva travelled out of the country before.I'm thrilled with the level of advancement,security and quality of life.I wee not say anything abt Murtala mohammed international airport until you people sees Hammad airport(Doha) and luguardia airport that is supposed to be a local airport here.
To all others coming on this journey...Safe trip and best of luck.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by roland007: 2:18am On Aug 04, 2017
OluDare01:
What's your major

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OluDare01(m): 3:06am On Aug 04, 2017
I know of Auburn University in Alabama
roland007:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by floraine: 3:41am On Aug 04, 2017
Local flights in the US very strange

You wee pay for flights normally

Pay for the seat you wee seat on separately

Still pay for you checked in bags and if too much you pay additional fee

Are you sure there is no payment for walking around the airport or breathing the air?�

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by vivyval(f): 4:11am On Aug 04, 2017
Use southwest !

Local flights in the US very strange

You wee pay for flights normally

Pay for the seat you wee seat on separately

Still pay for you checked in bags and if too much you pay additional fee

Are you sure there is no payment for walking around the airport or breathing the air?�[/quote]

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 04, 2017
roscolee:
thanks. Na owo oniru owo oniyo we gather to sponsor her o
cheesy >: grin I like this Yoruba menh! cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:11am On Aug 04, 2017
OGreene:
Almost thought LagosismyHome typed this grin

grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kallowdean(m): 7:30am On Aug 04, 2017

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by folmus: 7:31am On Aug 04, 2017
[quote author=gaviria post=59123659]So I got to my final destination(Illinois) like an hour ago.
My flight from Lagos to Casablanca was scheduled for 6:30am but got delayed till 10am on Wednesday morning, so I had gotten to the airport around 12am not knowing they had rescheduled the flight, so I stayed at the airport till the next morning with sleeping at all. So we left Lagos for Casablanca around 10:20 and got there around 14:30, meanwhile my stopover was to be 4 hours in Casablanca and we had already used that up in the Lagos delay, so as soon as we alighted those of us with the 4 hour stopover had to rush over to the departure terminal to leave immediately. So we left Casablanca around 15:20 and got to New York(JFK) at 7:30pm local time. The POE queue was freaking long. People of different color, race and gender all queuing to enter the US. We were sha moving small small till I got to the front. By the way I don't know why I've just been having that thought of secondary screening and each time it pops up in my head I just reject it. So I was put on a queue in front of one white CBP officer where I had some Asians and Europeans in front of me. The guy took one Asian and one European for secondary screening. I just said it cannot happen to me in my mind. Gbam it got to my turn
Me: Good evening sir
CBP: Good evening sir

I sabi this write-up byline by the tone. na my guy be this. He don enter yankee. God put Alubarika in your new journey.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 04, 2017
kallowdean:
Gurus,
Make una no say this guy like food too much, F1 Student no mean over reading O.

I beg beans (Ewa Oloyin) dey allowed in to USA grin
Am actually going to Atlanta
Hahahahaha. You love food so much so that you want to beans to America. Geez!

Hope you wouldn't start farting while in the class? grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by kodeya(m): 8:08am On Aug 04, 2017
Ardedaryor:

I senT you a PM

I sent a PM too. But here is my email. green.kayode@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OtunbaRae(m): 8:13am On Aug 04, 2017
LagosismyHome:

grin grin

Dearest Lagos is my home, i want you to be part of my success story, i'll be appearing in Lagos nextweek, i need you to review my preparations with me.
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by OtunbaRae(m): 8:17am On Aug 04, 2017
texrem:

Congrats

Dearest Texrem, i want you to be part of my success story, i'll be appearing in Lagos nextweek, i need you to review my preparations with me.
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by yomcy2016(f): 9:22am On Aug 04, 2017
Good morning house, this is me giving my appreciation first and foremost to the Lord God Almighty for making my interview a success.

Secondly, a big shout out to Walspring for your kind response to my question as well as Joeluv.

I was scheduled for 6:30 interview...though i didn't leave till around 7:43.

On getting to the venue...I had my docs already with me so the tout won't use me for breakfast..all the staple your documents and all I didn't even answer any of them...park here park there...I used my discretion to on that as well...considering all the stories have heard on the platform so I was readily prepared.

All those your documents must be coloured...it isn't tru...none was for me aside my admission letter sent with my I20.

Fast forward to my interview...

The VO all smiling a young pretty lady prolly in her late 20's i think it was window 6 if I ain't mistaken.

The VO didn't greet me and so I didn't bother as well. (Over sabi isn't necessary)

V.O: Can I have your passport
I passed it

V.O: Your I20 as well
I passed it

V.O: How old are you?
ME: I am......years old

V.O: Where are you going to in the U.S (didn't hear her initially so I said "pardon" before i will say what i wasn't asked)
ME: I'm going to for Masters Degree Program at the American University Washington DC

V.O: Who is paying for your studies
ME: My dad is paying. However I got a merit based scholarship award from my school.

V.O: Yea I can see that, and it is really a huge amount. And you also have funds?
ME: Yes I do, cos I am presently working

V.O: What do you do at your place of work
ME: I told her...

V.O: Wow all that? (With a smile on her face)
ME: I smiled as well and told her the 3 basic things and broke it down ( that was y it seems kinda much to her, i think)

At that point she already picked the white paper and placed it "our" front.

V.O: She now asked that (considering my roles) so why am i going for international law and legal studies that it seems i am into domestic law alone.
ME: No i actually also have dealings with foreign clients and I was privileged to be among the team in my office who gave legal opinion on a case involving Econet Telecommunication...*VO Cuts in*

VO: So you are coming back to take up your job (at that point she already pushed the white paper to my front)

ME: I told her yes and that as a matter of fact I was just giving 18months study leave and expected back in the office 8th January 2019

VO: (She passed the white paper to me) and told me to have a nice time in the U.S
ME: (with a big grin of smile on my face) I said THANKS!!!

That was it...she didn't even type anything on her screen...she looked the screen like prolly just twice there about...looked at me...and you know...that's all

All I can say is that it was just God coshonestly I was scared...from the start of it all. The application and all. But in it all I give glory to God and thanks a lot Walspring and Joeluv also the transcript posted by others also was of immense help.

This is my little way of giving back to the house.

P.S I submitted my DS 160 even beforepaying for interview ...you know a lot wasn't right about my app...DS 160 has some missingquestions.

Through it all I give God the glory.

To.All still expectant, I.pray the God who showed me mercy and favoured me will also show you mercy and favour you and not give you a strict V.O like the one in window 7.

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.