Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,623 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (179) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (698982 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by man105(m): 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2017
I greet u all,who is at the UCO, university of Central Oklahoma here.....I would need some vital info from u tnx....so as to get accommodation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by whyqueu(m): 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2017
etudiant:

Please Deetus do reveal those tricks.. I'd love to learn from it also.. thank you much

please @Deetus, please kindly reveal it here for us all to benefit...!!! God bless you real good Deetus !!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by man105(m): 2:55pm On Aug 26, 2017
man105:
I greet u all,who is at the UCO, university of Central Oklahoma here.....I would need some vital info from u tnx....so as to get accommodation.
✌✌
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by babaklazz: 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2017
RexCheeng:
Biko is there a discount for application fee too? cry cry cry

I am interested

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by babaklazz: 3:16pm On Aug 26, 2017
ashkenking:
just pm u sir

I am interested in this offer,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by akin3102(m): 3:23pm On Aug 26, 2017
Any balling nairalander in Texas Tech Lubbock. Am in town PM.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by darryjay16(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2017
whyqueu:

Thank you @slimmy2005 , I used the WES evaluation calculation and it's was 3.06/4.0 ..and I don't even know why they keep arriving at 2.5 and co. Despite the fact that most of the schools exempt Nigeria for TOEFL (meaning they have few Nigerians in the past) . so why are they saying this....

This was the message I got from Southern Illinois University

Dear Seun,

Your application was submitted to the committee for review but, we had no faculty member available to be your major professor and, several of the faculty felt your scores were too low to be successful in this major/degree. I have sent the decision over to the graduate school and they will notify you as well. Thank you, for considering SIUC for your academic future and, I know you will flourish in the right degree with your level of passion. I wish you the best in your academic career. 

Mary Dunmyer

your GPA is actually 2.594.
ask me how?

divide your undergraduate CGPA by 5 I.e ( 3.2/5)= 0.648.

0.648 x 4= 2.594. in a scale of 4

some schools require WES Evaluation while some don't. all the schools you applied to doesn't require WES, not sure of WTAMU though.

my opinion!
look for schools that require WES and apply there, as people already said, your GPA is above 3.0 with WES evaluation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 26, 2017
whyqueu:

please @Deetus, please kindly reveal it here for us all to benefit...!!! God bless you real good Deetus !!
smiley

Okay, trick number one.

You really want to study abroad. You got the admission and funds from the school. Be it partial or full scholarship, it's a piece of cake for you.

What you do is to give it as a reason for chosen this particular institution. The CO focuses on your funding and goes further to know your academic ability. This is where you come up with your GPA, GRE, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS and other achievements. The VOs want the best brains, not average brains. They want foreigners who would develop their country more. Not folks cheating on their immigration system.

Trick number two.

You see sometimes someone will be talking to you and then you cough. It disrupts the flow of the conversation and this person stops mainly because you are coughing. I am not telling you to cough during the process of your interview. What I am saying here is you have your test scores and the results are good, endeavor to raise them a little unknowingly. He or she would like to know what papers are that. The next question will be, can I see these papers? Of course, the VO's attention is already on these documents and the CO has probably less than three minutes to talk to you.

Trick number three.

You may discuss your experience on what happened on the examination day by summarizing it. Talk to him or her like your friend. For instance, there was power failure few minutes before this test, the electrician there had to turn on the generator quickly.

Questions like how many candidates took the exam and all that might be asked, before you know it, time already gone.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by mjksho(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
BloodyMitch:

From what I have heard is that the gpa conversion focuses more on your final year grades like year three n four so if dose grades ain't too high your gpa ain't gonna be high after conversion.

Some schools do that too. But not all schools. Some schools will focus more on your last 60 credit hours which is when they think you have started doing serious work in your major, so it can be advantageous to get a good GPA in the last 2 years. Other schools might want to see consistency of good grades hence they want to see that you performed well all through those years. So it depends on the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:48pm On Aug 26, 2017
darryjay16:

your GPA is actually 2.594.
ask me how?

divide your undergraduate CGPA by 5 I.e ( 3.2/5)= 0.648.

0.648 x 4= 2.594. in a scale of 4

GPA is not calculated as a direct conversion as stated above

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:49pm On Aug 26, 2017
whyqueu:

I used the WES evaluation calculation and it's was 3.06/4.0 ..

3.06 is sounds more accurate

Source : bigfrancis

Our A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D= 2, E = 1 and F =0 on the Nigerian scale and those points are used in our cgpa calculation. To get the 4-point US scale, use their grade point system as follows:

A = 4.0
B(equivalent to their B+) = 3.5,
C(equivalent to their B) = 3.0,
D(equivalent to their C+) = 2.5,
E(equivalent to their C) = 2.0,
F = 0 as usual.

Replace our grade points for each grade on your transcript with the US grrade points given above and recalculate your CGPA normally as you already know how to do, you will get your 4-point US equivalent.

Multiply the new points given above by the course unit as usual (i.e. a 4-unit course you got a b in would now be b+ on the US scale = 3.33*4 = 13.32 grade points, a 3-unit course you made a c in would now be b on the US scale = 3.0 * 3 = 9 grade points, etc.). Then sum up the total grade points for all semesters from first year to final year and divide by the total number of units from first year to final year.

Notice that there are no D and E on the US grading scale and all our Ds and Es are converted to higher-point C+ and C of 2.5 and 2.0 respectively, thus adding more points to your total grade points and boosting your final cgpa by a few points. This explains why WES translation is more favorable to Nigerian applicants than other conversion agencies

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by akatovic1: 5:56pm On Aug 26, 2017
Good day friends,
I want to first clarify that I am not yet at purdue university but I was checking to see if anyone on this thread is and am still researching on schools best suited for me. However I will love to inquire if anyone here knows a school ranked within the first 100 (preferably within the first 50) that meet full financial need for masters student.
CGPA: borderline firstclass
TOEFL: 101 (not high)
GRE : not registered but preparing mainly on verbal and AW
course: Mechanical Engineering
Previous school: well known uni in the south east

pls your contribution will be invaluable (although I am still researching) because I'm about to defer an admission given to me by the university of michigan because of lack of funds
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by darryjay16(m): 6:02pm On Aug 26, 2017
LagosismyHome:

3.06 is sounds more accurate

Source : bigfrancis

Our A = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D= 2, E = 1 and F =0 on the Nigerian scale and those points are used in our cgpa calculation. To get the 4-point US scale, use their grade point system as follows:

A = 4.0
B(equivalent to their B+) = 3.5,
C(equivalent to their B) = 3.0,
D(equivalent to their C+) = 2.5,
E(equivalent to their C) = 2.0,
F = 0 as usual.

Replace our grade points for each grade on your transcript with the US grrade points given above and recalculate your CGPA normally as you already know how to do, you will get your 4-point US equivalent.

Notice that there are no D and E on the US grading scale and all our Ds and Es are converted to higher-point C+ and C of 2.5 and 2.0 respectively, thus adding more points to your total grade points and boosting your final cgpa by a few points. This explains why WES translation is more favorable to Nigerian applicants than other conversion agencies

wow... nice one there mama. thanks for the correction.

make I calculate my own ASAP

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayjeee(m): 7:09pm On Aug 26, 2017
Any one in East Tennessee state university?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by floraine: 7:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
See I was a silent reader here and started reading this forum from page one and made screen shots (it wasn't easy but worth it) when I came across very important information. There are somethings you really need to do yourself really. Then come back to ask questions. To God be the glory I'm schooling now.

supafeyi:
Hello. Please I need someone to help me out through the process am meant to follow to do my masters in us.... I finished with a 2.2 in economics.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Trice2: 9:16pm On Aug 26, 2017
Good evening all.Am actually new here(a total novice)

I have a degree already in Education accounts and I want to apply to Morgan state university for a Masters of Social Work (MSW). The school didn't require GRE and TOEFL only asked for my transcript to be evaluated by Wes, 3 recommendation letters and a statement of purpose.

My question: is it necessary I still write GRE and can I also use my dads pension statement which is really high for sponsors account statement?

Please I will appreciate additional information from the gurus in the house concerning the steps to take, school,course and other processes involved.Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ovieigho(m): 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2017
Good day family,
I don reach USA since Wednesday o but sorry for not keeping u posted! I don Waka my legs don bend! USA fine no be small, university of Denver beautiful no be small ,I haven't seen that kind school before oo...The school fine pass covenant university 1million times...

Wetin eyes don see within this few days sef in my entire 30 something years in Nigeria I haven't seen 1/2.

Dog breed wey me don count don reach like 50...The love they have for dogs here no get second ...

The kind food wey I don chop henn...Me sef dey fear my "kinni" oo..Everything na sweeting...Lolz .Abeg any body wey fit help carry Agbo Jedi come ...!!!

People just dey like me for no reason! Well I don pray that one before I commot naija ...
Favour to sure !
Mo ri yin na!!...I see una!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by cosade(m): 10:28pm On Aug 26, 2017
Walspring:
Discounted promo offer for GRE and TOEFL is out again for just 10 people. 10 applicants will pay 50% while some poeple on this thread paying 50% but they don't want me to mention their names.

I will post further info and requirement later and if you are interested send me pm.

God bless the good people behind this. Amen

I sent you a private message some days ago, still waiting for your response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 10:35pm On Aug 26, 2017
dayjeee:

That's probably the most popular school on this thread now

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by blesyndy360: 10:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I will find time for you for spring... but note i do not give visa and it doesnt mean working with me will always bring sucess
pls @lagosismyhome Pls I need help too I know is God that actually grant visa and not you, but still need your help.Am for spring too Thanks for your love and care

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by blesyndy360: 10:42pm On Aug 26, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I will find time for you for spring... but note i do not give visa and it doesnt mean working with me will always bring sucess
pls @lagosismyhome Pls I need help too I know is God that actually grant visas and not you, but still need your help.Am for spring too Thanks for your love and care
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 10:44pm On Aug 26, 2017
Trice2:
Good evening all.Am actually new here(a total novice)

I have a degree already in Education accounts and I want to apply to Morgan state university for a Masters of Social Work (MSW). The school didn't require GRE and TOEFL only asked for my transcript to be evaluated by Wes, 3 recommendation letters and a statement of purpose.

My question: is it necessary I still write GRE and can I also use my dads pension statement which is really high for sponsors account statement?

Please I will appreciate additional information from the gurus in the house concerning the steps to take, school,course and other processes involved.Thanks.
You dont need to write any test if the school didnt require it but then you might want to consider how you will explain that to a VO. Mind you, some people have gotten their visas without writing any test why others had to write one to show to the VO they are serious students. That decision is yours to make. And No you cant use your dads pension statement as SOA since pension statement is not readily available cash. I doubt your school will accept that as proof of finance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayjeee(m): 11:19pm On Aug 26, 2017
biikeys:

That's probably the most popular school on this thread now
sorry for my ignorance, i just joined the thread, though have read am much as I could in the past 2 - 3 days. my question is... is TOEFL or ielts compulsory for the school? for example Nebraska Lincoln does not make it compulsory inasmuch as you were taught in an English speaking country. waiting for ur response
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by patomaniac: 11:49pm On Aug 26, 2017
dayjeee:
sorry for my ignorance, i just joined the thread, though have read am much as I could in the past 2 - 3 days. my question is... is TOEFL or ielts compulsory for the school? for example Nebraska Lincoln does not make it compulsory inasmuch as you were taught in an English speaking country. waiting for ur response

Your best option is peruse the school's website and check it's admission requirements for international students.
Regards

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:56pm On Aug 26, 2017
darryjay16:

wow... nice one there mama. thanks for the correction.

make I calculate my own ASAP

I hope your calculation go be 4.0 oooo wink grin cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 11:56pm On Aug 26, 2017
dayjeee:

Many ... grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayjeee(m): 12:00am On Aug 27, 2017
patomaniac:

Your best option is peruse the school's website and check it's admission requirements for international students.
Regards
have tried perusing the school site but I could not get where the language requirement is. I will better mail the admission office. thanks brother
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayjeee(m): 12:04am On Aug 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Many ... grin
pls ma'am embarassed
LagosismyHome:

Many ... grin
pls ma'am I need you to prepare me for next fall, infact, I need your mentorship plsss, may the Lord reward you. and does the school require TOEFL or ielts
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:06am On Aug 27, 2017
dayjeee:
pls ma'am embarassedpls ma'am I need you to prepare me for next fall, infact, I need your mentorship plsss, may the Lord reward you. and does the school require TOEFL or ielts

I didnt go to ESTU their website would be the best place to check the requirement
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by dayjeee(m): 12:14am On Aug 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I didnt go to ESTU their website would be the best place to check the requirement
ok ma'am. but would be happy if you can help me prepare for next fall. I need mentorship because am a newbie, am not lazy though, have been trying reading previous parts so as to arm myself with necessary information. but I believe having someone that has crossed the ocean mentoring me would make the whole process easy for me. thanks, look forward to positive response

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Talkingboy: 12:14am On Aug 27, 2017
floraine:
See I was a silent reader here and started reading this forum from page one and made screen shots (it wasn't easy but worth it) when I came across very important information. There are somethings you really need to do yourself really. Then come back to ask questions. To God be the glory I'm schooling now.

Good morning Ma , Did u make a 2.2 and where u schooling now pls ?

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Talkingboy: 12:15am On Aug 27, 2017
floraine:

Good morning Ma , Did u make a 2.2 and where u schooling now pls ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.