Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (695409 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by princeGee23: 4:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
It is a bit challenging digesting all page of this wonderful forum again, simply because my department require all new MS student to show themselves in the first year especially those of us from another or related background before they can think of funding you properly. I hope this race is easy enough with my dedication. i will reply as much PM as possible else will just be on low key here.

keep the Great work going
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Drocks: 4:23pm On Aug 27, 2017
You can get more info from the website of the school.http://www.csuohio.edu/
Trice2:

Thanks it really helps , please do you mind linking me up to your friend so I can get more info directly from him. Thanks I appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by harrycool(m): 4:29pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hi everyone, a friend of mine has a HND. Does ECE evaluate HND Certificate? and are they faster than WES?
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Trice2: 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2017
femi312:
You dont need to write any test if the school didnt require it but then you might want to consider how you will explain that to a VO. Mind you, some people have gotten their visas without writing any test why others had to write one to show to the VO they are serious students. That decision is yours to make. And No you cant use your dads pension statement as SOA since pension statement is not readily available cash. I doubt your school will accept that as proof of finance.

I appreciate your response.
My brother actually used my dads pension and gratuity statement and additional bank account as statement as SOA for a school in Canada so I thought it could help as well for a school in usa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LORRDDD(m): 4:58pm On Aug 27, 2017
APPLYING TO CONCORDIA UNIV, WISCONSIN......currently work with a bank, applying for MBA..ANYONE WITH HELPFUL LINKS OR TIPS?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Gracee101: 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
slimmy2005:
How were you able to make it out of the program with that GPA. I thought when you are unable to secure good grades in your first year you'll be asked to leave the department. What I'll advice is apply for a masters program, this time you'll have to apply to private for-profit university that really do not care about GPA and also apply to a community college that offers Associate Degree in Nursing or any Medical/ Health science of your choice. Once you secure the admission, you can go with the masters I-20 to the embassy. If you succeed, you can switch school when you get to the US to the community college.

Bro but when she goes to the embassy won't the Vo ask about her undergraduate transcript?

what makes me feel it will be refused undecided
slimmy2005:
How were you able to make it out of the program with that GPA. I thought when you are unable to secure good grades in your first year you'll be asked to leave the department. What I'll advice is apply for a masters program, this time you'll have to apply to private for-profit university that really do not care about GPA and also apply to a community college that offers Associate Degree in Nursing or any Medical/ Health science of your choice. Once you secure the admission, you can go with the masters I-20 to the embassy. If you succeed, you can switch school when you get to the US to the community college.

Bro but when she goes to the embassy won't the Vo ask about her undergraduate transcript?

what makes me feel it will be refused
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
lonelyhrt:
hi everyone

would love to hear from you all about my prospect am a graduate of pharmacology with cgpa of 1.75/5 have been working as a pharmacist assisitant. i intend going back for another bachelors in any medical science program.what could be my chances regarding my low gpa and interest for another bachelors degree.

i hope to hear from you all
How long have you been working now?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by StackNerd: 5:46pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hi,
Please do we have anybody here studying in University of Texas Arlington, i will like to know somethings about this school, You know, Other than what is written on their website of course, i got admitted to University of massachussets lowell, and UTA, though, UTA is cheaper than UMASS Lowell, but apart from being cheap, i will love to get some other info about this schools so as to make a decision . Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 27, 2017
Gracee101:

what makes me feel it will be refused undecided

what makes me feel it will be refused
Well, you are entitled to your feeling or opinion. You are not the VO, that is left for the VO to determine if she is worthy or qualified for one. Not all VO ask for undergraduate transcript and if asked, and she can come up with cogent reason for the poor grades, she would be fine.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by saajus: 7:06pm On Aug 27, 2017
I went for Interview last year but was denied. Do I need to complete a new DS160 for a new interview this year
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 7:13pm On Aug 27, 2017
saajus:
I went for Interview last year but was denied. Do I need to complete a new DS160 for a new interview this year
Yes, you need to fill a new one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thacokeboy: 7:59pm On Aug 27, 2017
Good day y'all please is there anyone in Troy university? I would like to ask some questions
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Silva094: 8:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
please I need help to pay my application fee to Troy university
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by whyqueu(m): 8:24pm On Aug 27, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Thanks ..sharp eyes . Post amended

Multiply the new points given above by the course unit as usual (i.e. a 4-unit course you got a b in would now be b+ on the US scale = 3.33*4 = 13.32 grade points, a 3-unit course you made a c in would now be b on the US scale = 3.0 * 3 = 9 grade points, etc.). Then sum up the total grade points for all semesters from first year to final year and divide by the total number of units from first year to final year.

Thank you @Lagosismyhome for the info, but do you think schools in the US will have time to calculate this on each applicants? That's my opinion though? I just think its would be take alot to calculate all this on base by base issue !!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 9:52pm On Aug 27, 2017
Silva094:

The last time I checked you pay upon arrival.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Walspring: 9:54pm On Aug 27, 2017
Happney awon eyan Mayweather. I sight you fan of money man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by thacokeboy: 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
Silva094:
. I intend to apply there too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:32pm On Aug 27, 2017
whyqueu:

Thank you @Lagosismyhome for the info, but do you think schools in the US will have time to calculate this on each applicants? That's my opinion though? I just think its would be take alot to calculate all this on base by base issue !!

you think say na Naija when things are done any how .... grin grin

Schools have admission department when this na their only work all day, alternatively you have agencies like WES when this is their full time work so if its that one, its not hard . they do what they need to do to ensure admissions are given to candidates that they want or need . The rate of student graduating is important to them so the entry Gatekeeping of admission is taken seriously

I would even speculate that schools have OCR scanners that can scan and take the content of a transcript and then the computer will impute and run the numbers and conversion.........all automated so wont even take 5 minutes to do. If OCR can pick up paper invoice details it can easily do a transcript

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by adeniyitijani: 10:55pm On Aug 27, 2017
Pls I have done my master in unilag, and I want to further my PhD in USA. Which sets of universities can I choose from to study Chemistry and does not require TOEFL and GRE.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 11:04pm On Aug 27, 2017
adeniyitijani:
Pls I have done my master in unilag, and I want to further my PhD in USA. Which sets of universities can I choose from to study Chemistry and does not require TOEFL and GRE.
You dont sound like a serious student right now..you want to go do Phd in a one building school? You have your own tuition? Because that is the kind of school that will not require any exam from you. You are not ready, when you are ready, @oludare should be your guy, he is in that field

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gokuu(m): 11:14pm On Aug 27, 2017
femi312:
You dont sound like a serious student right now..you want to go do Phd in a one building school? You have your own tuition? Because that is the kind of school that will not require any exam from you. You are not ready, when you are ready, @oludare should be your guy, he is in that field
Haha...Oga you harsh o!

But truth be told, to be talking about PhD requires a high level of commitment and research. How can someone just go and study "chemistry" in a PhD programme? And at the same time is not willing to take the GRE.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Kukaman: 12:04am On Aug 28, 2017
Hello house, I'm a newbie here and would like to ask a question on student visa and I really need your candid advise. Please I had a degree(online) from UK and want to study in USA for my masters. I already received one I20 from a private university but wouldn't want to use it as advised by a friend to ignore a private university and go for a public university which usually boost chances of being approved a student visa. I have 3 schools awaiting their I20 which will turn in latest early next month based on the submission of application. Kindly assist on what to tell the interviewer so as to convince the interviewer that I would return to Nigeria after the course of study as this will be my first time of being interviewed at the embassy. I don't want to mess things up hence, need your expertise advise.

Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Hbaba: 1:13am On Aug 28, 2017
whyqueu:

Bro, that is the reason for application fee. This fee is a service charge which they need to render in order to select students for admission consideration. I hope you grab
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ecoleco: 1:33am On Aug 28, 2017
patomaniac:
Hello guy, is there a way or site you can check if a program is accredited for a part school

Thanks in advance.

Most times, the accreditation information is shown on the department's main website. Just know the name of the key accreditation (eg is AASCB for business schools) for your discipline and check the department's website to see if you intended school have it. You can also check the accrediting institutions website (aascb.edu in this case) to find a list of all accredited schools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ecoleco: 1:39am On Aug 28, 2017
dayjeee:
Good pm good people of this thread. I must confess you guys are doing a great job. thanks for giving ur time to answer questions. am currently serving, will be rounding up by December this year, I want to apply for my masters in U.S universities, however, the only means of paying my tuition fee is to secure a scholarship or tuition waiver. am planning towards next fall. will be going to school at the end of the years so that I can talk with some few lecturers who can be my referee. pls I need advice concerning schools that can offer tuition waiver. the course I intend applying for is international relations, or development studies. Thanks

Apart from looking through all the post on the thread which frankly is cumbersome but might be rewarding, you can also download some of the compiled transcripts and read. You will see the school that gave people funding on those transcripts.

Also try to google Teaching assistantship and Graduate assistantship and similar terms. All the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by etudiant: 2:16am On Aug 28, 2017
Please can someone recommend any good school that does not require APPLICATION FEE for MBA... Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ecoleco: 2:17am On Aug 28, 2017
Kukaman:
Hello house, I'm a newbie here and would like to ask a question on student visa and I really need your candid advise. Please I had a degree(online) from UK and want to study in USA for my masters. I already received one I20 from a private university but wouldn't want to use it as advised by a friend to ignore a private university and go for a public university which usually boost chances of being approved a student visa. I have 3 schools awaiting their I20 which will turn in latest early next month based on the submission of application. Kindly assist on what to tell the interviewer so as to convince the interviewer that I would return to Nigeria after the course of study as this will be my first time of being interviewed at the embassy. I don't want to mess things up hence, need your expertise advise.

Thanks.

Download these transcripts and read. You will learn how to respond to the visa interviewer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dawoicv7y9cofif/compiled%20VISA%20TRANSCRIPT%20Part%2011%20-%20Up%20to%20Pg%20331.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vv0a0sfgaysztiq/AADbiS4UG7q57b0qcFPjaPkna?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nq0ft9sr52twe7/DELAYED_VISAS_PART_7.pdf?dl=0

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 2:37am On Aug 28, 2017
adeniyitijani:

Nigerian universities do not require TOEFL and GRE. Try those.

11 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by ecoleco: 2:44am On Aug 28, 2017
Perotti:
Well, my great people, its kinda long overdue for my POE and American transcript. Departed the shores of Nigeria on the 13th of August via Royal Air Maroc and it was a nice experience except the long layer overs (10 hrs in Casablanca, 7 hrs at JFK). Nice meal aboard the flight to JFK. Got to JFK around 2am and my POE officer (Asian man) asked me just two questions I can't remember again but no big deal. The flight from JFK to Denver was nice but long too (4 hrs). Got to Denver and took a prebooked shuttle to Fort Collins. Stayed with a nice white family for 3 days before moving to my own place. First week of classes has just flown by and its been great here so far. My 2 cents advice for those who do not want to take the GRE is that the stress of taking the test is really worth it especially for the sake of funding. I wont advise anyone to come here without properly loading up financially even if you get funding.

Stats; GRE: 307, 4.0 AWA, TOEFL: 105, 4.02/5.0 (BSc), 72.3% (MSc), research/work experience (1 year), Agric Microbiology/Plant Science.
I got my admission+funding via an advert on Twitter, the PI was looking for a student to do some research relating to my field and I threw in my CV, and God did the rest. I advise anyone with similar stats to follow Profs on twitter doing a similar research, they do tweet or retweet grad students openings in related labs. My desperation for funding led me to twitter and its another goldmine of info.

Cheers and see you all at the top!!!

I do not want to sound like a spoiler because that's not my intention. I have already liked your post Perotti but I am saying this for those that are intending to come. It's good to have funding that are tied to a faculty and a particular research grant. Honestly it's better than not having anything at all and being unable to afford the fees out of pocket.

The challenge is that you find it difficult to extricate yourself from the faculty and that particular research because that's where your funding comes from. Especially when you find that the research direction does not fit with what you are really passionate about and what you want to do, or when some other matters starts arising.

When you have a funding from the department as against a particular faculty, you are not tied down to one man and any faculty member can be your adviser. You can change advisers if things go wrong. I am studying Information Systems under the School of Business and PhD students in the School of Computer Science are jealous of us because their funding is usually tied to a research grant and they find it hard to come out unlike us.

Like I said earlier, it's far better than not having anything at all and it's just a word of advise for people still intending to come.

For more of this type of information, find the free book titled "THE PHD GRIND" by Philip Guo and read. He was a one time PhD student of Stanford University and currently a faculty of University of California San Diego.

All the best!

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 4:56am On Aug 28, 2017
ecoleco:

I do not want to sound like a spoiler because that's not my intention. I have already liked your post Perotti but I am saying this for those that are intending to come. It's good to have funding that are tied to a faculty and a particular research grant. Honestly it's better than not having anything at all and being unable to afford the fees out of pocket.

The challenge is that you find it difficult to extricate yourself from the faculty and that particular research because that's where your funding comes from. Especially when you find that the research direction does not fit with what you are really passionate about and what you want to do, or when some other matters starts arising.

When you have a funding from the department as against a particular faculty, you are not tied down to one man and any faculty member can be your adviser. You can change advisers if things go wrong. I am studying Information Systems under the School of Business and PhD students in the School of Computer Science are jealous of us because their funding is usually tied to a research grant and they find it hard to come out unlike us.

Like I said earlier, it's far better than not having anything at all and it's just a word of advise for people still intending to come.

For more of this type of information, find the free book titled "THE PHD GRIND" by Philip Guo and read. He was a one time PhD student of Stanford University and currently a faculty of University of California San Diego.

All the best!

Your case is actually the outlier. In most cases, funding (especially for more than 90% of phd students) is tied to a research grant - i.e. a specific faculty member who holds the grant. In some cases, funding is tied to a program grant so that the program funds the students directly rather than through faculty. However, program grants typically come with restrictions - more often than not they are available only to US citizens or permanent residents. In addition, these program grants are typically time limited. When i was in grad school, the NIH grant that funded all US citizen phd students (through the schools toxicology program) lasted only 4 years. After that, your mentor was required to cover your future funding from his research grant.

It is not true that you are essentially tied to one faculty member because of funding. In my case, i had the option to move to any faculty member i wanted within the first 2 years. You can transfer to any faculty member with adequate research grants to cover your funding at any time, so long as that faculty member is willing to have you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by whyqueu(m): 5:53am On Aug 28, 2017
LagosismyHome:

you think say na Naija when things are done any how .... grin grin

Schools have admission department when this na their only work all day, alternatively you have agencies like WES when this is their full time work so if its that one, its not hard . they do what they need to do to ensure admissions are given to candidates that they want or need . The rate of student graduating is important to them so the entry Gatekeeping of admission is taken seriously

I would even speculate that schools have OCR scanners that can scan and take the content of a transcript and then the computer will impute and run the numbers and conversion.........all automated so wont even take 5 minutes to do. If OCR can pick up paper invoice details it can easily do a transcript

wow Aunty @LagosismyHome hmm, you always have the right words to say coupled with the fact that you know so much... I will love to know and meet you in person.. despite the fact that you are done schooling and you still take this up everyday.. Hmmm, your husband they try ooo.. Thank you and may God continue to bless you, your children and yet unborn children will always see favor too.. And also @walspring and co... Thanks guys !! Have a nice week everyone!!

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by electronic(m): 5:55am On Aug 28, 2017
cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.