Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,807 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 - Travel (354) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (698413 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (432) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 2:48am On Nov 20, 2017
Havre:
I didnt get into my course of choice. It was conditional upon passing an exam in school and I didnt. So had to opt for another course; but I have decided to start afresh, I am very interested in schooling.
Also if I want to do an internship, I will have to apply for j1 right? I dont want illegal work, its why I am asking to get better info now. Just trying to know what options I have.
I wish its easy to get internship in Nig, would have started applying. Being jobless for 6-7 months wont be easy.

Well you certainly need another visa to do anything else now that you have no interest in pursuing a program at the school you are presently at. Can you transfer to another school? That might be an option.

If you come back, you will be absolutely lucky to get another F1 visa.
If you don't come back, you are as good as useless. You can't do anything other than hide from the police forever.
You can also consider finishing the degree you are studying now. You can always go back for another degree later but at least you always stay in status.
You can't do an internship with a J1, you can do so with an F1 but you will need to be approved by your school.

Yours is a cautionary tale i always issue here... it is better to plan well and travel slow, than travel fast and regret later. Now you're essentially stuck paying school fees for a degree you don't want... with even longer odds if you come back to Nigeria to try again. If person talk now, people will claim harsh... at the end of the day, its your life, not mine.

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:50am On Nov 20, 2017
femi312:
Just curious, what do you mean by they don't use the degree? After Ivy league, they got jobs that are not applicable to the degree or they went into business?

As an example many doctors from Nigeria got into MPH program to use as a stepping stone and then got into a residency program to practise as a doctor in the USA. so never used the MPH for anything other than as a stepping stone

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 2:59am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

As an example many doctors from Nigeria got into MPH program to use as a stepping stone and then got into a residency program to practise as a doctor in the USA. so never used the MPH for anything other than as a stepping stone

That MPH program is very useful when applying for a residency, so it is not true that the degree is essentially useless. I had friends who did MPH programs at my grad school prior to starting their residency programs. It is fairly common to see even American doctors doing such programs here. Many medical students did masters programs in MPH, epidemiology, translational research in the same labs as those of us who went in for straight phd programs. Besides, these programs are essentially free at ivy leagues, why not take advantage of it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:07am On Nov 20, 2017
TWoods:

That MPH program is very useful when applying for a residency, so it is not true that the degree is essentially useless . I had friends who did MPH programs at my grad school prior to starting their residency programs. It is fairly common to see even American doctors doing such programs here. Many medical students did masters programs in MPH, epidemiology, translational research in the same labs as those of us who went in for straight phd programs. Besides, these programs are essentially free at ivy leagues, why not take advantage of it?

Never said the degree useless.... but that many used it as a stepping stone

I too have some friends who went to top school path for MPH but the salary paid for these research jobs is actual peanuts in my opinion.... better to go into core medicine/ residency.

If someome sees an ivy league program with funding then yeah for sure go for it. Most of the MPH friends i know had no funding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by femi312: 3:17am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Oh okay
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 3:20am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Never said the degree useless.... but that many used it as a stepping stone

I too have some friends who went to ivy league path for MPH but the salary paid for these research jobs is actual peanuts in my opinion. If someome sees an ivy league program with funding then yeah for sure go for it. Most of the MPH friends i know had no funding

Virtually all these programs are fully funded by the NIH and are essentially free, if you are accepted. I was a recipient of one and i highly recommend them. The point of going for these programs isn't the salary... it's the free education you get, that comes with a stipend. Even residencies aren't that highly paid anyway. You'd be lucky to get residencies that pay more than $65K so what do you lose? I did it for 5 years and earn in the 6-figures today. Everything good comes with a price - patience is a virtue.

Unfunded MPH programs are a waste of time... look for NIH-funded programs. Also it is highly likely your friends did 2 -year masters MPH programs. Those are rarely funded. I would recommend more research-based phd programs. These are almost always funded and you are not obliged to complete the program. You can drop out after 2 years with a masters and move on with your life.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:25am On Nov 20, 2017
TWoods:

I would recommend more research-based phd programs. These are almost always funded

Nice one ....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 3:35am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Ehhnnnn so you can give this advice shocked grin.... wonders will never end tongue. You look like a champion who will be against taking advantage of a system

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy No, it is not taking advantage of the system. You are told right off the bat that you can leave after your qualifying exams if you decide not to pursue the phd option (in most schools, you must complete your quals by your second year). You get awarded a masters. You must register every year to maintain your funding, should you leave after year 2, your funding ends and you are free to go. Only a minority of students take this option though. By year 2, you probably enjoy your program so much and you've probably invested so much time and effort that it seems a waste to not finish the remaining 2-3 years.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Havre: 4:02am On Nov 20, 2017
Yes, I know its tough. I dont know if completing the session and starting elsewhere is better. How do I make the changes in that instance?
I dont even want to face that interview again. Seeing multitudes queuing up, many bounced, thought of the money lost and wept for this country.

LagosismyHome:

Based on the bold then it would be very difficult to convince a Vo to give you another chance with F1 through Nigeria

I dont know what options are left but this appears to be a tough wall to climb
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:19am On Nov 20, 2017
Havre:
Yes, I know its tough. I dont know if completing the session and starting elsewhere is better. How do I make the changes in that instance?
I dont even want to face that interview again. Seeing multitudes queuing up, many bounced, thought of the money lost and wept for this country.

Where you ever out of status? ...if no then best to complete the session and then transfer . That very possible to do within the us

You dont need a visa stamp initally. As long as your i20 and your status is valid you just transfer your sevis . Then if needed you can go to canada or mexico or nigeria to get a visa stamp for the new school but not neccessary if you dont plan to travel
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Havre: 4:32am On Nov 20, 2017
Alright. smiley
No, never been out of status.

LagosismyHome:

Where you ever out of status? ...if no then best to complete the session and then transfer . That very possible to do within the us

You dont need a visa stamp initally. As long as your i20 and your status is valid you just transfer your sevis . Then if needed you can go to canada or mexico or nigeria to get a visa stamp for the new school but not neccessary if you dont plan to travel

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Nobody: 4:32am On Nov 20, 2017
Brojay007:
pls bro after been admit and update statements account to the school how many days or week those it take the school to send or make the i20 form available

The School will email you if you are successful or not... if they admit you... they will send the I-20 package within 7 days.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:39am On Nov 20, 2017
Havre:
Alright. smiley
No, never been out of status.

Then no cause for alarm ..... you just need to plan it well. Skip that plan of coming to nigeria and work on transfering your record to the new school . Up your game on knowing the system and then it helps you to have a clear understanding on how transfer works

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Havre: 4:57am On Nov 20, 2017
Thanks a lot

LagosismyHome:

Then no cause for alarm ..... you just need to plan it well. Skip that plan of coming to nigeria and work on transfering your record to the new school . Up your game on knowing the system and then it helps you to have a clear understanding on how transfer works
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by omoluabiguy: 4:57am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

If a student visa wants to visit Canada for holiday, how does that work?

I have to apply for visa at the Canadian embassy here right?
I’m just curious tho
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 4:59am On Nov 20, 2017
TWoods:

Any idea what this is all about? shocked
you Nigerians abroad should start sending wads of cash back to Nigeria randomly grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 5:33am On Nov 20, 2017
omoluabiguy:

I’m just curious tho

Just apply for a Canadian visit visa through CIC online. You don't need to appear at any embassy/consulate..It's usually a quick process.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by TWoods(m): 5:34am On Nov 20, 2017
omoluabiguy:

I’m just curious tho

Nothing special. Contact the Canadian consulate (i know there is one in Buffalo, NY). They used to let you mail in your passport and application but that was about a decade ago. Go online and read the instructions. Just in case you're not aware, even if your US visa has expired, you are allowed to go to Canada and return to the US, so long as you weren't away from more than 30 days.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 5:35am On Nov 20, 2017
LagosismyHome:

I beg to defer . . .... there is no age limit to a degree like a master degree or an MBA . The more important thing is been able to explain clearly why you want to do now and what value it will add to you.

Even here i have seen a 28 year who was given visa for first degree .

It's not about the age...rather that huge gap after the last degree. It's going to be tough to convince a VO, not impossible though..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 5:39am On Nov 20, 2017
omoboy110:
pls a friend of mine is wants to go and study in US but he doesnt how to go about it,my question is what are the steps ?
which school admits nigerians? and which school is admission ongoing nw and the ones at affordable prices

If your friend is the one asking these questions, he/she needs to come here and read through this thread first.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 5:40am On Nov 20, 2017
Philadelphia:
Please help.
I wrote TOEFL today and mehn it was something else.
I have already gotten my admission prior to writing but I don't know he effect of a low score during visa interview. Please help me with advice. Thanks.

What's your score?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 5:43am On Nov 20, 2017
HonNellymike12:
If you studied Petroleum Engineering in school, these two master courses are in high demand in the US, they are master of project management and master of analytics. Hope this helps someone.

What does this even mean? And high demand for an MS program?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Philadelphia: 5:57am On Nov 20, 2017
biikeys:

What's your score?

Tests scores aren't out yet but you could go on and make your comments.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by gbaby4live: 6:01am On Nov 20, 2017
Wishing those that will be interviewed this morning all the very best..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by biikeys(m): 6:01am On Nov 20, 2017
Philadelphia:

Tests scores aren't out yet but you could go on and make your comments.

Except the scores are really horrible, I typically advise to take it along.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Philadelphia: 6:06am On Nov 20, 2017
biikeys:

Except the scores are really horrible, I typically advise to take it along.

Thanks but does the score influence one's approval?
If yes, what score is permissible for approval?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by platypelloid: 6:17am On Nov 20, 2017
jangal:

Mafits will register u for
GRE with 50k. Google the name.

Hello boss
Have you registered with mafits before?
Are they real?
50k?
I doubt it!
I'll earnt GRE is 205 USD
So its not possible for 50k
Anyway pls do you know their address?
Thank you boss.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fatezee(f): 6:27am On Nov 20, 2017
platypelloid:

Hello boss
Have you registered with mafits before?
Are they real?
50k?
I doubt it!
I'll earnt GRE is 205 USD
So its not possible for 50k
Anyway pls do you know their address?
Thank you boss.

B.Y MAFIT... Is very real...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Fatezee(f): 6:44am On Nov 20, 2017
Morning guys, pls can i take a statement printed one month two weeks to the embassy or i have to go and get a new one??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 by Baker77: 7:17am On Nov 20, 2017
Teedawg:

There used to be a West lib student here tunez
thanks for your reply BTW how can I connect him please?

(1) (2) (3) ... (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) ... (432)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.