Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66789 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by uzoexcel(m): 9:44am On Jul 15, 2017
ELKHALIFAISIS:
Armageddon , the end of this wicked world is here.. Hallelujah
Mor0n

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by allstarcomic(m): 9:45am On Jul 15, 2017
hey guys wathc my new comedy video here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-h6VyiiQA
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Milo30(m): 9:45am On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...
Waves will be created from the movement

3 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by lakesider(m): 9:45am On Jul 15, 2017
@donald trump .
U see how stupid you are
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ajalawole(m): 9:45am On Jul 15, 2017
explorers my nigga. God bless u front and back...... But why have u not been coming up with post laterly

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by uzoexcel(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for with collar jobs.
What's ur point
Carrying out research? Are you saying that's not a white collar job? And do you think they work for free?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Funjosh(m): 9:48am On Jul 15, 2017
ILoveChess:
God is great

Alhamudulilai cool
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by cmarte: 9:49am On Jul 15, 2017
It's not coming as a surprise especially as there's been serious warning over two decades now.

African is in no way blessed as presumed by some.
It's look at this more thoroughly, with the persistent melting of the iceberg, see levels would definitely increase, see shores would be submerged likewise coastal city. Life would be lost inevitably.

Aquatic animals would be majorly affected in this whole sad event. Greater proportion of our sea foods come from importation. By the time the the oceans are flooded, animals would suffer Fishermen would find it extremely difficult to pilot their affairs, it would also be difficult to for captain's to maneuver their ships. All these would affect bringing in imports.

As a country solely dependent on imports, our own lives are even at bigger risk.

Moreover, the whites have very powerful technology, don't be surprised that they would find ways to cope in this mess. The big question is CAN WE COPE? with the likes of lekki living, what would happen?

I can say it's more it's not completely impossible to start arresting the situation, even though it would take more number of years. The bigger problem is that most countries are playing nonchalant.

May God help us

3 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by IYANGBALI: 9:50am On Jul 15, 2017
Chai see the problem buhari is causing for them in London, abeg make him no carry am come back to Nigeria o
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by erico2k2(m): 9:50am On Jul 15, 2017
The scientist who filmed this said he was not sure if this is due to 100% global warming, cos it might very well freeze over with the new ice storm
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 9:50am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
they should pump the excess melted ice water into northern Nigeria, I heard that place is a dry desert with less rainfall per annual, they need the water joor
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Shiitposter: 9:51am On Jul 15, 2017
TechEnthusiast:
Credits goes to who for such disaster?

The Credit goes to Mother Nature smiley smiley smiley Wiping out the virus known as humanity. One iceberg at a time. wink wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by erico2k2(m): 9:51am On Jul 15, 2017
IYANGBALI:
Chai see the problem buhari is causing for them in London, abeg make him no carry am come back to Nigeria o
Bross check the MAP see where this place dey first B4 U comment make you nor look over stupid
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by obscitas: 9:51am On Jul 15, 2017
Milo30:

Waves will be created from the movement

The only plausible explanation to this is that water expands in volume when translated from solid to liquid...hence a bucket filled with ice...will overspill it's content greatly when melted to liquid..
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by djlittlej(m): 9:52am On Jul 15, 2017
i pity my brothers on their way to italy through the ocean..........i pray make the ice never melt, before una land.

anyway check my signature, anyone interested should holla me..
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by samfibby(m): 9:52am On Jul 15, 2017
Nature has a way of reconciling its different element in human"s favour. God is great

3 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by laSompee: 9:53am On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

Do u by any chance r means read any scientific article? When u are cooking in your room is the temperature always d same?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by handebayor: 9:53am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

But I learnt from elementary physics that the volume of ice immersed in water in state of equilibrium would not affect the total volume of water after it melts.
See this
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae389.cfm

6 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by perdollar(m): 9:53am On Jul 15, 2017
trump wl stl not care.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by lazeal: 9:53am On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...
what are you talking about? What is matter?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by brightalo17: 9:55am On Jul 15, 2017
rottennaija:

That's basically what global warming fear is about. When the ice on the Antarctica melt into an ocean, the water level rises, causing flooding.

That's just one of the things that can happen

What exactly could've been done to prevent that?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by cmarte: 9:56am On Jul 15, 2017
It's not coming as a surprise especially as there's been serious warning over two decades now.

African is in no way blessed as presumed by some.
Let's look at this more thoroughly, with the persistent melting of the iceberg, see levels would definitely increase, see shores would be submerged likewise coastal city. Lives would be lost inevitably.

Aquatic animals would be majorly affected in this whole sad event. Greater proportion of our sea foods come from importation. By the time the the oceans are flooded, animals would suffer. Fishermen would find it extremely difficult to pilot their affairs, it would also be difficult for captain's to maneuver their ships. All these would affect bringing in imports.

As a country solely dependent on imports, our own lives are even at bigger risk.

Moreover, the whites have very powerful technology, don't be surprised that they would find ways to cope in this mess. The big question is CAN WE COPE? with the likes of lekki, what would happen?

I can say it's not completely impossible to start arresting the situation, even though it would take more number of years. The bigger problem is that most countries are playing nonchalant.

May God help us
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by davido2017(m): 9:56am On Jul 15, 2017
u ppl are making me confused, just commenting anyhow
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 15, 2017
I live close to the desert, so it would take a while b4 this reaches my future descendants grin

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ICAMETOWIN(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2017
Global warming has been a huge issue in the West for a long while now especially in the science community, even though mainstream politicians paid lip service to it and some outrightly questioned and doubted it until Former Us VP All Gore came up with his aptly titled movie 'An Inconvenient Truth' and some of the naysayers were forced to accept that GW is one of the biggest issues facing the very existence of planet earth.

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Funjosh(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2017
Evidence abound that Greenland and Antarctica ice have been Melting all these things while due to the increase in global temperature, deforestation going on in the Congo and Amazon has also contribute to it. We human let's just enjoy our handiwork while it last. Ọrùn ya bo, no be say make we run.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oyienootieno: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2017
Efewestern:

flooding.

that's about a trillions of trillions litre of water, it will increase the world water level, thereby causing flood in most Part of the world.

There's nothing to be scared about going by the two leading religion teachings. They say this time God will end the world with fire... but on the other hand be at alert ooo.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by IYANGBALI: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2017
erico2k2:

Bross check the MAP see where this place dey first B4 U comment make you nor look over stupid
abeg leave matter
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Halo22: 9:58am On Jul 15, 2017
I said it before and i repeat, coastal areas of Lagos should be taken care of by govt..If possible, the state govt should provide an alternative environment ahead of the upcoming danger of the climatic effects. This ice that just broke off the Antarctica must melt and flow into water bodies, Atlantic ocean inclusive, thereby causing serious rise in the volume of the water. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by lazeal: 9:59am On Jul 15, 2017
ELKHALIFAISIS:
they should pump the excess melted ice water into northern Nigeria, I heard that place is a dry desert with less rainfall per annual, they need the water joor
lol
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ogocology: 9:59am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Nope. Its not like 'filling a bucket with water then dropping ice into it.
See, iceberg is already in the water now! Abi, did it broke off from space?
It has already displaced it weight in the water. Melting wouldn't be addition of water except, of course, of we consider the effect on glaciers which are not in the ocean already.
There is need to take global warming seriously but the exaggeration of facts by scientists can sometimes be a turn off and counterproductive.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Maritime University 2017 Recruitment / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Busayo And Lecturer Abdul Whatsapp Conversation Leaked By @Iambusayotemit2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.