Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66785 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pilate2016(m): 10:19am On Jul 15, 2017
mejai:
by building ark abi? grin
Yes nah
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nnwannsukka(m): 10:21am On Jul 15, 2017
jeeeeeeeeesus the size of london wetiin come remain for earth.
yeeeepa. so na ordinary rock or ice block na hin be size of london
issokay
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oluwasegun007(m): 10:21am On Jul 15, 2017
Nbote:

I find it embarrassing U still hold such crappy reasoning..
he must be related to TRump...
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by stealthtiger(m): 10:22am On Jul 15, 2017
Another fake news from Fake News Network and their cronies.
Nothing can bring back to the Paris treaty. All this is a ploy to cheat the United States in the global trade and it's all a bad deal.

EPA: how can be sell Alaska to Russia.

(Sarcasm intended)
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by abysirius(m): 10:22am On Jul 15, 2017
DAramis:
Flooding loading
you meant tsunami

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by jiangchu: 10:23am On Jul 15, 2017
tk4rd:
Will it be that badly felt globally.??

yes most of the land in nigeria that borders the atlantic ocean are 100m below sae level. it can spark tsunami
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:23am On Jul 15, 2017
Adeoba10:

We know its serious, but explain to us

Picture a bucket of water that is 3/4 full then u place packs of ice into it that are numerous...it will lead to the bucket being filled with water and pouring out anything surrounding that bucket will get wet. As the sea level is rising from the melting of ice caps in the polar region or Antarctica more water is introduced into already existing bodies the shoreline or river bank would be receding inwards into dry land within the coastal regions that is cities and places bordered by the Atlantic ocean leading to massive flooding in those regions... If the entire ice cap melts then some cities would be submerged under water due to their nearness to the ocean and their low topography.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by DrayZee: 10:26am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
Lol. This your bucket example though. It has a flaw.
If the ice was never in the bucket full of water in the first place, then of course the bucket would spill water.
But here, the ice has always been there. It simply broke off.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:26am On Jul 15, 2017
Electronzeez:
It's either nature ends us or we end ourselves with nukes .
Btw, I can not overrule the west for being responsible for this crack ,it could be one of their experiment .
Most sensible talk on this thread. Without man the environment would survive without the environment man won't survive. We are gradually pushing ourself into extinction either we nuke ourself or nature eases us out gradually lol

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by LoveJesus87(m): 10:26am On Jul 15, 2017
Pilate2016:
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.
No make dem no get sense. Make dem remain there dey form rich mumus

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by QueenBeeQBQ: 10:27am On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...

I think you're both right... It will definitely overspill, just not as much as Explorers estimated.
Now, according to my estimation, it's the 20% that has always been above the water level, that's going to overspill. Therefore, using the example of the bucket and the 5kg iceblock, it's only 1kg will actually overspill. Since the initial 80%(4kg), was already in the water...

Yeah I know, I can calculate for Africa. Appreciate by checking out my signature...

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by 9jatatafo(m): 10:27am On Jul 15, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:

yes but water can reduce the population of the world to half,there's no fun in that

I concur but poverty, diseases and war are doing worst

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:28am On Jul 15, 2017
DrayZee:

Lol. This your bucket example though. It has a flaw.
If the ice was never in the bucket full of water in the first place, then of course the bucket would spill water.
But here, the ice has always been there. It simply broke off.
And when it breaks off what then happens? Does it still remain as ice? NO. It's a practical stuff u can do at home to have a better understanding.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by jiangchu: 10:29am On Jul 15, 2017
GetHelpWorldwid:
Thank God, Biafra is not a coastal region embarassed

the entire biafra land is 100m below sea level. it concerns everyone.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by anthony533(m): 10:31am On Jul 15, 2017
surefixed48:
Yes we made it. yesterday's VIP Game went as planned glory be to God Almighty for his goodness as am here with my sure odds for today to subscribe or get our games call or Whatsapp me view the image below for more details note no free no after only meant for serious minded people only don't miss this great opportunity
another scammer disclosed
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:32am On Jul 15, 2017
CzarChris:
Dude, no need for insults. Even in the scientific society, there are a lot of people who are against this global warming stuff. Do you know that if there is an oil spill over a large area of the sea the sea has the ability of cleansing itself without any human help, just that it is too far off for human timing. From the Cenozoic to the Paleohedean era do you know how many species that where wiped off? Sometimes I wonder the way you guys reason, you have a theory come with proof and let the superior argument carry the day. If global warming was a proven theory why haven't the entire scientific society backed it up? Show me a proven mathematical model proving global warming, and don't give that CFC and Ozone layer crap there is a proven model on that one. Nature is evolving and it will keep doing so Eons after we have all turned to dust.

lol this is a different issue bro, increase in the volume of water can only be solved if the ice in Antartica starts building up again and thats hard because there are so many pollution nowadays compared to hundreds or thousands years ago..sorry for the insult I retrieve that....what if half of the human race doesn't survive global warming ? imagine cities like Lagos,johanesburg,Loas Angeles and so many other coastal cities wiped off..that'll be tragic
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ednut1(m): 10:36am On Jul 15, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:

like seriously bro,the little education you got should reflect in your reasoning undecided
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial. Take a look at this. All i know is climate changed before humans ir before humans discovered fossil fuel
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by iamtardey: 10:38am On Jul 15, 2017
I dey my yard dey blow my poli guy! nobody holy
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by CzarChris(m): 10:38am On Jul 15, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:

lol this is a different issue bro, increase in the volume of water can only be solved if the ice in Antartica starts building up again and thats hard because there are so many pollution nowadays compared to hundreds or thousands years ago..sorry for the insult I retrieve that....what if half of the human race doesn't survive global warming ? imagine cities like Lagos,johanesburg,Loas Angeles and so many other coastal cities wiped off..that'll be tragic
Telling me that the entire home sapient species will get wiped off by nature is not a scientific argument. We all know that this will happen one day as mother earth keeps evolving. In my view, nature will always do what it wants. What we should do is to find a way of slowing that process.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ednut1(m): 10:38am On Jul 15, 2017
CzarChris:
Dude, no need for insults. Even in the scientific society, there are a lot of people who are against this global warming stuff. Do you know that if there is an oil spill over a large area of the sea the sea has the ability of cleansing itself without any human help, just that it is too far off for human timing. From the Cenozoic to the Paleohedean era do you know how many species that where wiped off? Sometimes I wonder the way you guys reason, you have a theory come with proof and let the superior argument carry the day. If global warming was a proven theory why haven't the entire scientific society backed it up? Show me a proven mathematical model proving global warming, and don't give that CFC and Ozone layer crap there is a proven model on that one. Nature is evolving and it will keep doing so Eons after we have all turned to dust.
bros i tire for dem o
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

Let's assume for one moment that reducing emissions won't turn the tide, what do we stand to lose from reducing emissions? Maybe u think ozone layer depletion and the consequences on us is hoax too? What about the direct carcinogenic effects of emissions on us humans even before it gets into the atmosphere? Do you know there would still be tectonic consequences for the billions of tonnes of fossil fuels we're withdrawing from underneath the earth's surface? Is renewable energy sources not cheaper than the fossil fuels that's causing all this fuss?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by 0b10010011: 10:46am On Jul 15, 2017
Prices of ice block should drop across the world then.

Bad market for refrigerator and freezer producers
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2017
CzarChris:
Telling me that the entire home sapient species will get wiped off by nature is not a scientific argument. We all know that this will happen one day as mother earth keeps evolving. In my view, nature will always do what it wants. What we should do is to find a way of slowing that process.

true but there's no harm in solving the issue..like your signature though. "wise words"
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:49am On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_denial. Take a look at this. All i know is climate changed before humans ir before humans discovered fossil fuel

yeah before your car starts producing enough CO2 to cause pollution and thus affecting the climate
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Aperion7(m): 10:50am On Jul 15, 2017
9jatatafo:
Not scared as God promised not to destroy the world with water again. Watching the rainbow in the sky!

grin grin grin..... Let's wait and see
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by kingrt2(m): 10:50am On Jul 15, 2017
This Is old news na
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by rmoses17: 10:52am On Jul 15, 2017
The level of the ocean will not rise but remain the same if the ice bergs melt. Reason is because when ice is melting, it contracts instead of expanding. cry

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by GoodMuyis(m): 10:52am On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...

The Godly Good thing is the ecosystem will regulate itself, evaporation may increase before the ice finish melting
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by iamphill: 10:55am On Jul 15, 2017
Before opening this thread I knew it was explorers one of the few sane and progressive people on Nairaland. kudos. knowledge is power bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg
well, although there is something like global warming. Man can do little to keep nature remain the way he wishes for. We can only try and conserve. The task becomes a hard one because population increases by the day. I want to believe change in nature is what led to evolution according to science. Nature will evolve, same with its inhabitants. The inhabitants will definitely adapt!
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Iamzik: 10:58am On Jul 15, 2017
Yinmu.... They have come again with Propaganda

No today ice done dey break? It has been breaking before we were here. It will keep breaking after we are long gone. As one breaks another is forming

Al Gore must have woken up from his long sleep

These climate people are so desperate. Won't be surprised if they actually broke this themselves just to prove a point.

The earth is one masterpiece of creation. It is self sustaining and will outlast us all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Maritime University 2017 Recruitment / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Busayo And Lecturer Abdul Whatsapp Conversation Leaked By @Iambusayotemit2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.