Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,449 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66790 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ivolt: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2017
Nbote:

I find it embarrassing U still hold such crappy reasoning..

Don't mind the conspiracy theorist, he believes Trump words over
those of real scientists.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Btruth: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2017
DAramis:
Flooding loading
serious flooding loading.

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by zephry(m): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2017
Aremu01:
Africa is blessed
I don't understand you the flooding will affect the whole world even half of lagos will be covered in water
so I don't understand when u say africa is blessed
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by 9jatatafo(m): 10:00am On Jul 15, 2017
Not scared as God promised not to destroy the world with water again. Watching the rainbow in the sky!

5 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by AJCs(m): 10:01am On Jul 15, 2017
If 80% of d mass is said to b covered wt water, then only 20% of it will invariably affect coastal region and its environs as d said 80% mass has already occupied place where water ought to av.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg

like seriously bro,the little education you got should reflect in your reasoning undecided

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by CzarChris(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:

lol you're way too intelligent to be this ignorant bro
you sit in the comfort of your momma couch typing all this and say scientist who have devoted most of their lifetime to this research is wrong...come on

you can do better
Dude, no need for insults. Even in the scientific society, there are a lot of people who are against this global warming stuff. Do you know that if there is an oil spill over a large area of the sea the sea has the ability of cleansing itself without any human help, just that it is too far off for human timing. From the Cenozoic to the Paleohedean era do you know how many species that where wiped off? Sometimes I wonder the way you guys reason, you have a theory come with proof and let the superior argument carry the day. If global warming was a proven theory why haven't the entire scientific society backed it up? Show me a proven mathematical model proving global warming, and don't give that CFC and Ozone layer crap there is a proven model on that one. Nature is evolving and it will keep doing so Eons after we have all turned to dust.

5 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by zephry(m): 10:02am On Jul 15, 2017
the apocalypse begins grin
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Awoo88: 10:03am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for with collar jobs.
Those scientists are getting paid to monitor things. Our are looking for where to get paid. Or do you think their are monitoring for free

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:03am On Jul 15, 2017
9jatatafo:
Not scared as God promised not to destroy the world with water again. Watching the rainbow in the sky!

yes but water can reduce the population of the world to half,there's no fun in that
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Holorunloseyi(m): 10:03am On Jul 15, 2017
Ehya,those in costal region sorry in advance oooo
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by EmperorTayo1864(m): 10:04am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for with collar jobs.
Dumb post,smh...
You are going to feed them,shey? Your government did not have anything in stock for our. So shut the hell up

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:04am On Jul 15, 2017
CzarChris:
Personally, I don't believe this global warming story. Climate change? Yeah. But global warming nope. The earth is over 4billion years old and it has seen so many eras and periods come and go, and entire species have been known to disappear for their inability to adapt to the changing environment. This is just a phase that will come and go, and the species that will survive is known only to mother nature.
Yes the environment has been messed up by humans no doubt, but nature always has a way of cleansing itself. That's my take on this.

lol you're way too intelligent to be this ignorant bro
you sit in the comfort of your momma couch typing all this and say scientist who have devoted most of their lifetime to this research is wrong...come on

you can do better
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 10:06am On Jul 15, 2017
cmarte:
It's not coming as a surprise especially as there's been serious warning over two decades now.

African is in no way blessed as presumed by some.
It's look at this more thoroughly, with the persistent melting of the iceberg, see levels would definitely increase, see shores would be submerged likewise coastal city. Life would be lost inevitably.

Aquatic animals would be majorly affected in this whole sad event. Greater proportion of our sea foods come from importation. By the time the the oceans are flooded, animals would suffer Fishermen would find it extremely difficult to pilot their affairs, it would also be difficult to for captain's to maneuver their ships. All these would affect bringing in imports.

As a country solely dependent on imports, our own lives are even at bigger risk.

Moreover, the whites have very powerful technology, don't be surprised that they would find ways to cope in this mess. The big question is CAN WE COPE? with the likes of lekki living, what would happen?

I can say it's more it's not completely impossible to start arresting the situation, even though it would take more number of years. The bigger problem is that most countries are playing nonchalant.

May God help us

tell em bro, you're like the only person with the most IQ on this post lol

I think I'll relocate far north o,my house is few miles from the beach shocked
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by madridguy(m): 10:08am On Jul 15, 2017
May God help us.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by MrPresident1: 10:09am On Jul 15, 2017
There is no such thing as 'climate change'. Global warming? Well, the green house effect is natural, and without it we would all freeze in the night. Global warming is a dynamic issue, like yo-yo, up and down, it does not prove 'climate change'

The hidden and insidious meaning of 'climate change' is that God is dead; this is evil and it is the godless postulation of the children of satan.

Their agenda is to take over the whole world; to make all of you of one language and speech against God.

2 Likes

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Toks2008(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2

The water level remains the same when the ice melts.

The Ice displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes so when it unfreeze it will regain the displaced water.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Balobest(m): 10:11am On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2
Actually scientifically speaking, the water level will not rise. Since the ice pack was originally in water, it would have displaced its weight in the water. So even if it melts, it will just replace its normal weight in same water. Its expansion around 4•c is very small and almost insignificant.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Funjosh(m): 10:11am On Jul 15, 2017
IYANGBALI:
Chai see the problem buhari is causing for them in London, abeg make him no carry am come back to Nigeria o

When you go get sense brother Mumuni tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by trumpclinton247: 10:12am On Jul 15, 2017
Pilate2016:
Coastal regions all over the world should be at alert. Oh Lekki! Ordinary rainfall and you were flooded. I pray your residents get sense and emulate Noah.

This is an inconguity of affect....so people predicaments has become something to make caricarture of....humans is turning into something else....SOME PEOPLE LOST THEIR LIFE SAVINGS THERE...We need to feel others pain cos we all need each others shoulders to lean ON....different parents but same God created us ...
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2017
ogocology:
Much as there is need to be careful, the whole issue is quite exaggerated.
Water actually expands when it freezes, right?
The ice that broke off is already inside the ocean, at least most of it (since iceberg has most of its mass under water), correct?
Now, tell me again how its melting would result in as much as 10cm rise in global water level.
Kindly recall that the iceberg (both visible and hidden parts) has already displaced equal weight of its volume in the space (this time, ocean) where it is submerged.

I've been waiting for someone to say this.
you're really smart.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2017
Aremu01:
Africa is blessed
Africa won't be left out when the devastating effect comes.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2017
uzoexcel:
Mor0n
this is where u belong

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NothingDoMe: 10:13am On Jul 15, 2017
Luciferdevil:
And I was thinking of travelling to Europe with my private jet tomorrow or next chaiii.
Fear nor gree me like your post because of your moniker shocked
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pilate2016(m): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
chai.
Noah,?
u are wicked oo
hahahaha Oga go build your own oo or join with your neighbour. Remember to put two animals each.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Krystalzkris(f): 10:13am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
which kind talk be this again?

there must be a way biko
oya,goan refrigerate the place na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:14am On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
which kind talk be this again?

there must be a way biko
There are just theories of solutions for now majorly Climate engineering. Actual testing hasn't been done. And they are all freaking expensive.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Mouthgag: 10:14am On Jul 15, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
So, global warming aint a fluke afterall
Blame it on uk especially. Those paleskin pigs are the real cause of greenhouse gas emissions...

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Pilate2016(m): 10:16am On Jul 15, 2017
trumpclinton247:

This is an inconguity of affect....so people predicaments has become something to make caricarture of....humans is turning into something else....SOME PEOPLE LOST THEIR LIFE SAVINGS THERE...We need to feel others pain cos we all need each others shoulders to lean ON....different parents but same God created us ...
Oga mi! I'm not trying to mock them. I'm just trying to tell them that the worst may strike.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 10:16am On Jul 15, 2017
careytommy7:
LOl... I find it amazing some of you still believe this global warming crap.
U are entitled to ur belief and so are others. When it happens then ur eyes will be open.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by MrPresident1: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2017
Toks2008:

The water level remains the same when the ice melts.

The Ice displaces an amount of water equal to its own weight. Since water expands when it freezes so when it unfreeze it will regain the displaced water.

Sound reasoning.

There will be no flooding from this break, ice displaces its own weight, when it melts, the space claimed by the ice is reduced, actually I think this breakage may lead to water shortage and not flooding.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by gozzlin: 10:16am On Jul 15, 2017
The beginning of the end certainly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Maritime University 2017 Recruitment / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Busayo And Lecturer Abdul Whatsapp Conversation Leaked By @Iambusayotemit2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.