Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) (66794 Views)

World’s Largest Reptile Egg Discovered On Antarctica / The Sinking Of The Titanic- They Lied, It Wasn't The Iceberg / The Big Size Of An Undergraduate's Project Hardcopy (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NovusHomo(m): 11:59am On Jul 15, 2017
Luciferdevil:
And I was thinking of travelling to Europe with my private jet tomorrow or next chaiii.

You could park your plane on the nearest mountain. grin
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:01pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:
Despite a recent trend of disbelief toward global warming, Mother Nature has just made herself clear.

A giant, trillion-tonne iceberg hasjust broken away from Antarctic ice shelf, and it’s an alarm we should all be heeding.

The iceberg, which has an area of roughly 4 times the size of London at 5800 km2, was part of an ice sheet known as Larsen C.

Researchers at Swansea University had been watching the glacial divide for months, and using satellite imaging, they were able to determine that the iceberg ‘calved’ (broke away) from Antarctica sometime between July 10th and 12th.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/12/world/larsen-c-antarctica/index.html

http://www.boredpanda.com/trillion-ton-iceberg-broke-off-antarctica/

My oga this global warming part is Fake News...

Here's from the CNN article you linked:

"Calving is a natural occurrence, but scientists have been exploring whether climate change may have played a role in expediting the rift.

The team of researchers have not yet found "any link to human-induced climate change," Martin O'Leary, a Swansea University glaciologist and member of the MIDAS project team, said in a statement
."
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jul 15, 2017
SnowJay92:

Let's adapt to clean energy, if any consequences comes from the use in the future mankind would still find a way to adapt and find less consequential sources, that's what this is all about, should people continue logging wood to cook because maybe in some years the effects of using solar energy would emerge? What after effects for you think would ever result from powering noiseless trains with wind energy? You can as well advice nations to keep setting up nuclear plants here and there because the effects of harnessing solar energy (none known currently) would maybe emerge in future, what kind of logic is that?
I am not trying to force my views on people. I am only open to varied thinking. Point is, there is no right or wrong way to sustain nature. It was there before man came or evolved according to same science. So many has happened with man and will happen after man's time. Yea, all good to follow best practices.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 12:05pm On Jul 15, 2017
NickD:

U have a valid argument on that based on displacement
theory or should I say upthrust in Physics. Nice perspective I
actually haven't looked at it from this angle but then it
means when there is a massive wave there would be more
water in the sea that would cause more destruction so in
the end it's still the same result of more flooding to those
coastal towns that's the argument.
Added to this it means that the land mass around the coast will reduce because water will migrate inwards into land displacing people.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
BuddhaPalm:

My oga this global warming part is Fake News...

Here's from the CNN article you linked:

"Calving is a natural occurrence, but scientists have been exploring whether climate change may have played a role in expediting the rift.

The team of researchers have not yet found "any link to human-induced climate change," Martin O'Leary, a Swansea University glaciologist and member of the MIDAS project team, said in a statement
."

A simple question don't be offended....the intensity of heat we've been experiencing have u noticed any difference over the years? Is it the same heat intensity we had in 1998 we are experiencing? There are statistical data online showing the rising levels of temperature on earth. And what happens when heat comes in contact with ice?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NovusHomo(m): 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
Aremu01:
Africa is blessed

How? Atantic Ocean passes from Egypt all the way to the south. To bring it nearer home to you: Lagos and all the south of Nigeria are at risk of heavy flooding.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by oracle009(m): 12:09pm On Jul 15, 2017
uzoexcel:

What's ur point
Carrying out research? Are you saying that's not a white collar job? And do you think they work for free?

Don't mind oldfoolnigger. He thinks we spend stones to research. It got to a time in my PG research that I had to resort to begging for funds on nairaland ( Grant wasn't forth coming). I'm Still battling with it now.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by bewla(m): 12:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
DAramis:
Flooding loading
I think its far to banana island and lekki sand field abi
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 15, 2017
mecussey:

I do what I know best and am enjoying it. Offer me bank work of 500k per month, I no go work. [b]I personally, know what an average igboman can do in the tech industry but school and Nigeria [/b]has deceived us a whole lot. If i become a the presido today, I will scrap the current education will call university. After, secondary school, you will be attached to a company and after 5yrs, you will be given bsc according to your productivity. Instead of enriching some few pple that calls themselves lecturers who comes to class to read textbooks written by someone who died decades ago.
you have shown you are unintelligent with the bolded. There are so many people in the Tech space. Igbo, Hausa, yoruba, American, brazilan. Well, na y you no go turn presido because you are emotionally unitelligent to know that many are looking for jobs not because they wish to or can't do more but simply there is no structure and opportunity. How many companies in Nigeria are there to employ the so called after secondary school graduates Or do you think companies are charities. What skills does an average secondary school leaver posses that will increase the profit of the company. Thats what the company is after not your jamborie theories. Not everyone works for money. A job may be a platform for you to show your research skills. It's either you are still a teenager or the unprogressive critic as I can see in the bolded. You have made no sense Mr!

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by 989900: 12:15pm On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

The only plausible explanation to this is that water expands in volume when translated from solid to liquid...hence a bucket filled with ice...will overspill it's content greatly when melted to liquid..

On the contrary, it's vice-versa.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by kenx1(m): 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
Donald Trump shei u dey c am
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nossa(m): 12:22pm On Jul 15, 2017
ogocology:
Much as there is need to be careful, the whole issue is quite exaggerated.
Water actually expands when it freezes, right?
The ice that broke off is already inside the ocean, at least most of it (since iceberg has most of its mass under water), correct?
Now, tell me again how its melting would result in as much as 10cm rise in global water level.
Kindly recall that the iceberg (both visible and hidden parts) has already displaced equal weight of its volume in the space (this time, ocean) where it is submerged.
Simple logic just cast doubt on authenticity of their predictions

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by diamond88: 12:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
why is the sahara desert so hot
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2017
Aremu01:
Africa is blessed

Funny thing is, one of the global warming meeting that was held sometimes last year. It was discussed that Africans are the ones who will suffer the effects more. And It's Pretty easy to know why.
Another funny thing is during that meeting, I think there were only few African Presidents/representatives. (Or not upto half) Out of the several countries in Africa.
So most people from N/A and Europe were busy rattling their minds to find solutions to see how Africans can survive this.

Many people still believe It's a Myth.
The only aspect many people are concerned about is the melting. Which I believe is the least of the worries here.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by mecussey(m): 12:35pm On Jul 15, 2017
majekdom2:
you have shown you are unintelligent with the bolded. There are so many people in the Tech space. Igbo, Hausa, yoruba, American, brazilan. Well, na y you no go turn presido because you are emotionally unitelligent to know that many are looking for jobs not because they wish to or can't do more but simply there is no structure and opportunity. How many companies in Nigeria are there to employ the so called after secondary school graduates Or do you think companies are charities. What skills does an average secondary school leaver posses that will increase the profit of the company. Thats what the company is after not your jamborie theories. Not everyone works for money. A job may be a platform for you to show your research skills. It's either you are still a teenager or the unprogressive critic as I can see in the bolded. You have made no sense Mr!

Well, if thats what you call untelligent, your opinion. I see you are very comfortable with the current status of the nation but I am not. If you understand what a company is, you won't ask me how many company.....no need for argument sha bc we have different views. My point is Universities should be productive and not destructive. Call it another name with another goal, it becomes a company. Tell me what our universities produce, nothing but un-oriented graduates with no directions. Let us start reasoning broadly, how can you be doing the same thing for over 50yrs of independence and expect sth different?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by NickD(m): 12:39pm On Jul 15, 2017
Nossa:

Simple logic just cast doubt on authenticity of their predictions

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Sea-level-rise-due-to-floating-ice.html kindly go through that link to understand it better.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by ibnzubair(m): 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2017
obscitas:

You are wrong...The 5kg of ice have always been in the water...remove it...put it back...nothing changes...

Not when the ice rises above the water level my noble sir.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 15, 2017
mecussey:

Well, if thats what you call untelligent, your opinion. I see you are very comfortable with the current status of the nation but I am not. If you understand what a company is, you won't ask me how many company.....no need for argument sha bc we have different views. My point is Universities should be productive and not destructive. Call it another name with another goal, it becomes a company. Tell me what our universities produce, nothing but un-oriented graduates with no directions. Let us start reasoning broadly, how can you be doing the same thing for over 50yrs of independence and expect sth different?
There are graduates from Nigerian universities changing the world. Look beyond your Niche. There are graduates that have made marks in their profession. That not to say the system will have is fantastic. No, we have churned more unemployable graduates than the employeable ones but Then you don't have to condemn or insult the graduates. If you condemn the product, will the product change except the process and company manufacturing th product change. Liken the process to university and company to the government. So the government has got to change the process. The graduates can do less. That refers me to your post where you say that you see graduates "carrying folder up and down". Thats not a good speech
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 12:58pm On Jul 15, 2017
9jatatafo:
Not scared as God promised not to destroy the world with water again. Watching the rainbow in the sky!

I hold unto that Promise dearly! cool The Rainbow. kiss

However there's more to Global Warming than Flooding or Water, Water, Water everywhere.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 1:04pm On Jul 15, 2017
Funjosh:

When you go get sense brother Mumuni tongue

Dont mind him. I dint even expect to see him here. He came here to dizgraze his ol generation. grin
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2017
trumpclinton247:

This is an inconguity of affect....so people predicaments has become something to make caricarture of....humans is turning into something else....SOME PEOPLE LOST THEIR LIFE SAVINGS THERE...We need to feel others pain cos we all need each others shoulders to lean ON.... different parents but same God created us ...

Awwwwnnnn. The highlighted. cry cry cry
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by bizhop01: 1:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
NOMAN LAND
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2017
Ajewealth123:
O ga o.
What harm does this pose?

Modified, thanks for all that contributed.
So una mean say places like lekki,banana island,vi,ikoyi,elegushi water go just throway all of them?

They will soon become lost underwater cities.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by cococandy(f): 1:12pm On Jul 15, 2017
I believe in global warming no doubt. But this particular incident cacti scientists hasn't been linked with any global warming activities. They are yet unsure, so let's not spread panic just yet.
However global warming is a real thing.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2017
GoodMuyis:

The Godly Good thing is the ecosystem will regulate itself, evaporation may increase before the ice finish melting

And when the cloud wants to cry because its supersaturated?
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 15, 2017
DrayZee:

Lol. This your bucket example though. It has a flaw.
If the ice was never in the bucket full of water in the first place, then of course the bucket would spill water.
But here, the ice has always been there. It simply broke off.

This not like your physics bucket and ice experiment where there is no dry land involved.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2017
prettyboi1989:
i dont really think this will cause much damage. nature recycles itself. the likely rise in ocean water due to the icebergs might just get sucked up by the sun and come down as rain. however the rains might just be torrential.
I think this is what people should be more concerned about, and not the melting that's bringing up series of arguments.
It's a loop! Little or much, there's still gonna be damages.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by aanexplus(m): 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2017
Explorers:

Some scientist are with and some are against the fact that this can lead to rise in sea level after melting.

They claimed that the break off has claimed 10% of the ice shelf and that can hasten more glacial flowing into the ocean.

But to me personally, i believe that this can cause the ocean level to rise.

Just like filling a bucket with water, then drop 5kg of ice into it.

Its going to spill now abi

Pictured is what normal iceberg looks like, its floating and about 80% of the mass is underwater.

Now imagine something that's over over a trillion-tonne, 5800km2

From intermolecular physics, I'm not sure it might. Try something basic at home, fill a cup with water den drop ice cube into it. You will be surprised the cup won't overflow. I'm not sure if it's applicable here as conditions might vary but it's worth checking.

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by wunmi590(m): 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
while scientists from other part of the world are busy carrying out research and monitoring what's happening in the world, our own dear scientists are busy carrying about long long files roaming our street looking for with collar jobs.

My brother is never their fault, the government itself did not create any palatable place for them to furthermore on the little they have learnt in school.

Most importantly, look at most organization in this country are rubbish, sorry to use the word, before you can be employed, you would must have close to 10years experience with little age limit, knowing fully well that before you can het into university these days, you will have to go extra mile, which you would have increased in age.

Additionally, our government are not oriented in terms of training their own blood to mask scientific research, they prefer getting white men to do it, because they believe they know it all, while not send your people out to study and bring them back to continue the research.

I am a microbiologist, I have been working out of my field for years in different organizations, not because I don't like my field, but because I was not given the opportunity to show my true microbiological virulence.

Finally, we just pray we have credible leaders in this country, this is one of the main reason you see Nigerians travelling out of the country and remain there forever.
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by VickyRotex(f): 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2017
Arccangel:
Issoraite! Let me just go and buy canoe. No time

Please buy for 2 o. grin

1 Like

Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by Bcbabe(f): 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2017
ednut1:
There has been different climate changes eg ice age without human emissions. I am with Trump on this global warming thing, would stopping emmisions turn the tide of the so called global warming. Nothing bt propaganda abeg
Dem should tell Ameriko and others to stop the covert researches going on the that sphere.................. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: A Trillion-tons Iceberg, 4 Times The Size Of London Broke-off Antarctica(photos) by wink2015(m): 1:49pm On Jul 15, 2017
I got the feeling that with this climatic condition impacting on the Antactica, One day a lot of human will live in that colder continent.

It will change from being a normal scientific outpost for researchers.

I understand that the following countries are claiming ownership of Antarctica

Norway
New Zealand
United Kingdom
Chile
France
Argentina
Australia

And there is treaty binding the Antarctica.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Female Nigerian Student's Luxurious Room Leaves People Astonished / The Library Emeka Offor Is Building In Daura Is 98% Completed (Photos) / Nigerian Maritime University 2017 Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.