Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,695 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. (23328 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 7:10am On Feb 04, 2010
I dont know why people always twist history to elevate themselves. Lately I hear that Bini was once subjugated by yoruba? Benin culture is hundreds of years older than Yoruba. It is simple Jss 1 history. How can a son of Ife found Bini that was already there? Eko was founded by Bini warriors. Eko in Bini actually means ''Camp''. Well if we dont know other people do that is why a country is called '''Benin'' today and none is called Oyo or Ife. As at the 16th century Bini was a thriving empire. Oduduwa who the Yorubas claimed leapt down from heaven was actually a Bini crown prince who had been banished from Bini. It was he who used his knowledge of organized society to weld the scattered Yorubas into a nation. He told them he came from heaven to ensure legitimacy as ruler! That is why when the strife that caused the banishment was over the Binis sought their king but the guy was already a king somewhere else and would not go back to a people who rejected him. However aftre much pleading he compromised by sending his son to rule Bini, '' Hey more l8r off to work

3 Likes

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 7:14am On Feb 04, 2010
you get work?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 10:40am On Feb 04, 2010
tpia which one dey pain you inside all this?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 10:59am On Feb 04, 2010
tpia so for all the grammar I blow and theory I propound na the work matter catch ur fancy? Even ashawo na work na? If you dont have anything to say jus watch. tongue
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by rabzy: 11:34am On Feb 04, 2010
Hey Dimka

you've started a post that could get very heated here, i don't like it when people throw insults around. i hope this won't degenerate too fast and too bad, I heard about the benin oral tradition of the prince that left Benin, but oral traditions would still be hearsay, we can't be 100% sure that the benins did not bring that up to counter the Yoruba claim, but from both yoruba and benin oral tradition, the benins were never an offshoot of the yorubas,

Then the benin/dahomey stuff you said, what has that got to do with the Edo kingdom, pls more enlightenment is urgently needed,
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 11:54am On Feb 04, 2010
Well, isn't that the whole essence of a thread. I have seen much worse here If you can't stand the heat you get outta the kitchen. I am not insulting anyone and I am partly yoruba meself i am merely recounting what seems to be common knowledge to me.
Dahomey was renamed Benin after the old Bini empire. What else is there to say?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by AndreUweh(m): 2:23pm On Feb 04, 2010
The Yorubas do not claim that they founded Edo. What they claim they founded was the monarchy. That is true. There are two issues here. First is founding an empire, second is establishing a ruling dynasty.
The ruling dynasty in Bini till date arose as a result of Oranmiyan's marriage to a Bini woman. The first issue of this marriage was crowned the first Oba of Benin.
IT IS TRUE.

3 Likes

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Ikhilor(m): 8:21pm On Feb 04, 2010
Dahomey is an abbreviation of Isidahomey from the Esan speaking tribe of Benin empire.He was actually a war general who was sent by the Oba of the day to conquer new territories and was the founder of both today,s Benin republic and Togo.This same general Isidahomey even went as far as some parts of today,s Ghana. As already attested to here, the Benin Empire also founded a camp(Eko) (till date, it,s called so in Benin) on the way for rest, that later grew to be known as Lagos. There are infos on the origins of Lagos, Togo, Benin (Dahomey. Sources had it that the late president Eyadema even came to pay homage to the Oba of Benin and was subsequently taken to Esan land to the compound of general Isidahomey the original founder of both today,s Benin and Togo.The Benin Empire spanned the river Niger through Ondo state and a large part of western Nigeria all the way to Togo and some parts of Ghana.This empire did a lot in it,s heyday, even if she,s lying idle today because of an African supported conquest by the criminal British, cry cryindeed it,s the heartbeat of the nation.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by snowdrops(m): 8:34pm On Feb 04, 2010
@ tpia
go sleep. learn when educate mind dissipate knowldge rather than bor us with ur tantrums
@ poster
what a brilliant piece of history. i have always wanted to see such issue raised here on NL. there was a documentary on BBC4 last week on the benin kingdom; the historian said it has been in existence since the 1400s,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/rmAT6B7zTZCGACd7i7l6Wg

and we all know the ogisos were already in benin way back in 10AD.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Feb 04, 2010
Ikhilor:

Dahomey is an abbreviation of Isidahomey from the Esan speaking tribe of Benin empire.He was actually a war general who was sent by the Oba of the day to conquer new territories and was the founder of both today,s Benin republic and Togo.This same general Isidahomey even went as far as some parts of today,s Ghana. As already attested to here, the Benin Empire also founded a camp(Eko) (till date, it,s called so in Benin) on the way for rest, that later grew to be known as Lagos. There are infos on the origins of Lagos, Togo, Benin (Dahomey. Sources had it that the late president Eyadema even came to pay homage to the Oba of Benin and was subsequently taken to Esan land to the compound of general Isidahomey the original founder of both today,s Benin and Togo.The Benin Empire spanned the river Niger through Ondo state and a large part of western Nigeria all the way to Togo and some parts of Ghana.This empire did a lot in it,s heyday, even if she,s lying idle today because of an African supported conquest by the criminal British, cry cryindeed it,s the heartbeat of the nation.

yes, someone was telling me some non-Yorubas want to claim Ondo state as their own. undecided No doubt that's the reason behind this thread. Una don attack Kwara finish , now its Ondo state in your crosshairs. With the high spate of kidnappings in Ekiti  state, i dont doubt your terrorist al quaeda agents have been operating there for a while as well.

Dahomey means In Da's belly- named for the former king of Dahomey who was killed and a capital built on the site of his former palace.

If you want a piece of Dahomey, or vice versa, then you're quite welcome to your superstory. Una wan ship more love-peddlers through the place, abi na the ports dey interest una? E be like say nasty people dey block una lucrative desert business.

check this out:

Benin was named after Birnin in Jigawa state, back in ancient times. Some migrants from eastern Iraq and northern Iran moved there after they were persecuted by Oru militants who also followed them into what is present day Nigeria and parts of Congo.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by AndreUweh(m): 10:24pm On Feb 04, 2010
Well said Tpia, you have a very good sense of History.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by snowdrops(m): 12:34am On Feb 05, 2010
tpia.:

check this out:

Benin was named after Birnin in Jigawa state, back in ancient times. Some migrants from eastern Iraq and northern Iran moved there after they were persecuted by Oru militants who also followed them into what is present day Nigeria and parts of Congo.
You are watching too many scifi movies.

According to traditional account, the original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Bini, were initially ruled by the Ogisos (Kings of the Sky). The city of Ubini (later called Benin City) was founded in 1180 AD.

About 36 known Ogiso are accounted for as rulers of the empire. One oral tradition states that during the reign the last Ogiso, his son and heir apparent Ekaladerhan was banished from Benin as a result of one of the Queens changing a message from the oracle to the Ogiso. Prince Ekaladerhan was a powerful warrior and well loved. On leaving Benin he travelled in a westerly direction to the land of the Yoruba. At that time the Ifá oracle said that the Yoruba people of Ile Ife (also known as Ife) will be ruled by a man who would come out of the forest. [/b]Following Ekaladerhans arrival at the Yoruba city of Ife also known as Ile Ife, he finally rose to the position of the Oba (meaning 'king' or 'ruler' in the Yoruba language) and later received the title of Ooni of Ife. He changed his name to 'Izoduwa,' (which in his native language meant, 'I have chosen the path of prosperity') [b]and became The great Oduduwa, also known as Odudua, Oòdua and Eleduwa, of the Yoruba. On the death of his father, the last Ogiso, a group of Benin Chiefs led by Chief Oliha came to Ife, pleading with Oba (King) Oduduwa to return to Benin to ascend the throne. Oduduwa's reply was that a ruler cannot leave his domain but he had seven sons and would ask one of them to go back to Benin to become the next King.

Now Tpia knock yourself out.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by sjeezy8: 1:03am On Feb 05, 2010
nikku whos cares you guys are smaller than us cool
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 1:18am On Feb 05, 2010
snowdrops:

You are watching too many scifi movies.

According to traditional account, the original people and founders of the Benin Empire, the Bini, were initially ruled by the Ogisos (Kings of the Sky). The city of Ubini (later called Benin City) was founded in 1180 AD.

About 36 known Ogiso are accounted for as rulers of the empire. One oral tradition states that during the reign the last Ogiso, his son and heir apparent Ekaladerhan was banished from Benin as a result of one of the Queens changing a message from the oracle to the Ogiso. Prince Ekaladerhan was a powerful warrior and well loved. On leaving Benin he travelled in a westerly direction to the land of the Yoruba. At that time the Ifá oracle said that the Yoruba people of Ile Ife (also known as Ife) will be ruled by a man who would come out of the forest. [/b]Following Ekaladerhans arrival at the Yoruba city of Ife also known as Ile Ife, he finally rose to the position of the Oba (meaning 'king' or 'ruler' in the Yoruba language) and later received the title of Ooni of Ife. He changed his name to 'Izoduwa,' (which in his native language meant, 'I have chosen the path of prosperity') [b]and became The great Oduduwa, also known as Odudua, Oòdua and Eleduwa, of the Yoruba. On the death of his father, the last Ogiso, a group of Benin Chiefs led by Chief Oliha came to Ife, pleading with Oba (King) Oduduwa to return to Benin to ascend the throne. Oduduwa's reply was that a ruler cannot leave his domain but he had seven sons and would ask one of them to go back to Benin to become the next King.

Now Tpia knock yourself out.

read this very well:

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by aloyemeka2: 3:02am On Feb 05, 2010
Others like the Portguese, English , French , Spanish colonized continents and Africans are here fighting over who colonized one tribe from another. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Beaf: 7:37am On Feb 05, 2010
rabzy:

Hey Dimka

you've started a post that could get very heated here, i don't like it when people throw insults around. i hope this won't degenerate too fast and too bad, I heard about the benin oral tradition of the prince that left Benin, but oral traditions would still be hearsay, we can't be 100% sure that the benins did not bring that up to counter the Yoruba claim, but from both yoruba and benin oral tradition, the benins were never an offshoot of the yorubas,

Then the benin/dahomey stuff you said, what has that got to do with the Edo kingdom, pls more enlightenment is urgently needed,

Benin "oral" traditions are astonishing in their level of detail and accuracy. They can provide exact dates for events that occur two thousand years ago; as far as I know, only the Ijaw can beat that and their version of history is the same as the Benin one (Ijaws gave birth to the bulk of practically all Southern Nigerian populations).

Both the bight of Benin and Benin republic were named after Benin kingdom (which extended as far as Ghana and Togo (the Eyadema's are Edo) to the West and Gabon to the East). Even the name, Dahomey is derived from the name of the Edo general that conquered the place; his name was Isidahomen and you can still find his offspring, bearing the same name among the Esans today.

Yes, the Edo ruled over huge swathes of Yoruba land and founded Lagos as a military outpost to guard the Western seas up to Ghana.
When the British came, the only kingdom in the South that they considered threathening was the Benin Kingdom. So while they were diplomatic to others, they set about military treaties first and then military campaigns against the Edo; these included Lagos wars concerning madam Tinubu etc and culminated in the punitive expedition (after a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Edo). The punitive expedtion saw Benin razed to the ground and all valuables taken away to Europe, the oba (Overhamwen) was exiled and Benins power was totally decimated, allowing the British to complete the conquest of Southern Nigeria.

If you are a Southern Nigerian that wants an education in history, go the the Edo's and Ijaw's first, then go to your own custodians. You will be enriched.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Ikhilor(m): 10:09am On Feb 05, 2010
Benin "oral" traditions are astonishing in their level of detail and accuracy. They can provide exact dates for events that occur two thousand years ago; as far as I know, only the Ijaw can beat that and their version of history is the same as the Benin one (Ijaws gave birth to the bulk of practically all Southern Nigerian populations).

Both the bight of Benin and Benin republic were named after Benin kingdom (which extended as far as Ghana and Togo (the Eyadema's are Edo) to the West and Gabon to the East). Even the name, Dahomey is derived from the name of the Edo general that conquered the place; his name was Isidahomen and you can still find his offspring, bearing the same name among the Esans today.

Yes, the Edo ruled over huge swathes of Yoruba land and founded Lagos as a military outpost to guard the Western seas up to Ghana.
When the British came, the only kingdom in the South that they considered threathening was the Benin Kingdom. So while they were diplomatic to others, they set about military treaties first and then military campaigns against the Edo; these included Lagos wars concerning madam Tinubu etc and culminated in the punitive expedition (after a humiliating defeat at the hands of the Edo). The punitive expedtion saw Benin razed to the ground and all valuables taken away to Europe, the oba (Overhamwen) was exiled and Benins power was totally decimated, allowing the British to complete the conquest of Southern Nigeria.

If you are a Southern Nigerian that wants an education in history, go the the Edo's and Ijaw's first, then go to your own custodians. You will be enriched.

There are a lot of us who are totally lost and blind to the history of our people.There,s no need for name calling and all that, we should be calm and go seek infos on our ancient history,thanks for pouring more light on the topic.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2010
Isidahomnen is a popular street and name in Ekpoma, Edo state.

Thanks beaf and snowdrops!I learnt a lot 4rm dat.

I wonder how people like alloy would ever understand themselves, becos they dont know their past.

tpia, hmmm, I really dont know what to say to you. Bini, Birnin, hehe, at best you are hilarious!
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Dimka76(m): 10:44am On Feb 05, 2010
Andrew uweh, your sense of history is non existent!
How fly no go support sshiite! Two blind mice,
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 05, 2010
Dimka 76:

Isidahomnen is a popular street and name in Ekpoma, Edo state.

Thanks beaf and snowdrops!I learnt a lot 4rm dat.

I wonder how people like alloy would ever understand themselves, becos they dont know their past.

tpia, hmmm, I really dont know what to say to you. Bini, Birnin, hehe, at best you are hilarious!

Idaho also derives from Isidahomen and dahomey.

definitely a connection there- you should look into it.

ode

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by AndreUweh(m): 7:54pm On Feb 05, 2010
Dimka 76:

Andrew uweh, your sense of history is non existent!
How fly no go support sshiite! Two blind mice,
Do not be silly you little fry.
The Yorubas are 40 million worldwide and your group is 4 million worldwide.
You want to turn facts hitherto known to the world upside down.
Mystical beast.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by snowdrops(m): 5:02pm On Feb 06, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Do not be silly you little fry.
The Yorubas are 40 million worldwide and your group is 4 million worldwide.
You want to turn facts hitherto known to the world upside down.
Mystical beast.
TROLL ALERT
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 5:15am On Feb 07, 2010
Andre, you don't know history if you are using numbers as a measure of strength,

The Edo/Bini/Ile Ibinu/Ubini kingdom is unrivaled in Nigerian history, even Queen Idia took the invaders down so as not to put her son Oba Esigie in harms way, what is East of Ife?

Just because "Oduduwa" sent one of his sons (who didn't speak until uttering 'owomika' (Eweka, Benin translated) back to Benin doesn't mean the Yorubas founded Benin.

A lot of people need to take Nigerian history again because they seem to have forgotten lots, more to come for sure grin grin grin grin

40 million Yorubas huh? Dipo Diya has how many wives?, MKO had how many? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 5:18am On Feb 07, 2010
Just because "Oduduwa" sent one of his sons (who didn't speak until uttering 'owomika' (Eweka, Benin translated)

eweka is now owomika?

Una never see emeka and eweka, una dey jump to owomika?

oya, more stories plz.

I'll also bring my own as necessary.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 9:39pm On Feb 07, 2010
You people can argue all you want, but just remember that all of you are living on borrowed land from your grandpapa, the Igbo of which none of your cultures smell anywhere near his 6000 years of age.

Thats all I had to say. grin

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ogajim(m): 10:06pm On Feb 07, 2010
Ezeagu, go and read your things fall apart and leave us to discuss the strength of the Bini empire,

Isidahomen, the warrior , make I let una talk first cheesy cheesy

What's the meaning of Eko in Yoruba language?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 10:09pm On Feb 07, 2010
ogajim:

Ezeagu, go and read your things fall apart and leave us to discuss the strength of the Bini empire,

I said that's all I had to say. grin
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 08, 2010
ezeagu:

You people can argue all you want, but just remember that all of you are living on borrowed land from your grandpapa, the Igbo of which none of your cultures smell anywhere near his 6000 years of age.

Thats all I had to say. grin

I thought Ijaws were the ones contesting who old pass for Nigeria?

who exactly is living on who's land in that country?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 2:14pm On Feb 08, 2010
tpia.:

I thought Ijaws were the ones contesting who old pass for Nigeria?

who exactly is living on who's land in that country?

Its good to be consistent, Yoruba people said they migrated into their land which was preciously filled with people they called Igbo "meaning bush". . . . . . . come one. undecided grin
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Feb 08, 2010
ezeagu:

Its good to be consistent, Yoruba people said they migrated into their land which was preciously filled with people they called Igbo "meaning bush". . . . . . . come one. undecided grin

where in Yoruba did you hear that?

the nairaland ones?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by ezeagu(m): 9:38pm On Feb 08, 2010
So your queen no longer defeated the Igbo?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eze Ndigbo Title Remains Banned – Deji Of Akure / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council / How to know a genuine babalawo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.