Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. (23313 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by NegroNtns(m): 6:07pm On Aug 15, 2011
I say you go bring the challengers to my claim that Edo is Yoruba and then you can take a spectator sit and learn while me and the Edo representatives explore the archives.

Boy, get your pen and paper and take notes from Negro.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 7:52pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I say you go bring the challengers to my claim that Edo is Yoruba and then you can take a spectator sit and learn while me and the Edo representatives explore the archives.

Boy, get your pen and paper and take notes from Negro.

lol, you are claiming what I am a part of. Edo is not even a tribe or ethnic group. Stop this your gbogbo! lipsrsealed
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by NegroNtns(m): 7:57pm On Aug 15, 2011
Did you just repeat the same error you made couple of nights ago? You are dropping your Ibo identity and alling yourself Edo.

Teach us the history of Edo. Tell us the beginnings of Edo.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 8:06pm On Aug 15, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Did you just repeat the same error you made couple of nights ago? You are dropping your Ibo identity and alling yourself Edo.

Teach us the history of Edo. Tell us the beginnings of Edo.

I was never ibo to begin with. I am Igbo(from anioma), though smiley. Igbo is an ethnicity, edo is a group of related ethnicities.

You soooo badly want to be a part of the Edo people,lol. Sorry, too bad for you. You are a stinking Yoruba. Your culture is even boring and colorless. Lmao! grin
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by otapiapia: 10:45pm On Aug 15, 2011
I just dont understand why Yoruba people always want to claim Edos. Inferiority complex?

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by AndreUweh(m): 11:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
Chyz*:

I was never ibo to begin with. I am Igbo(from anioma), though smiley. Igbo is an ethnicity, edo is a group of related ethnicities.

You soooo badly want to be a part of the Edo people,lol. Sorry, too bad for you. You are a stinking Yoruba. Your culture is even boring and colorless. Lmao! grin
Have mercy on him Chyz nwa Ukwuani, Chinenye has given him some extra-moral classes today.

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by NegroNtns(m): 12:04am On Aug 16, 2011
Nobody is claiming Edo. I'm removing distortions from the stoiry

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by tpia5: 2:09am On Aug 16, 2011
Chyz*:

geez, what happened to you.

didnt you post this

chyz:

As much as you derail the tops and try to pin igbos against yorubas, it has no substance. yorubas and igbos get along good with each other.This is just a thread. Apart from the hausas and fulanis, Igbos and Yorubas marry each other far more than other tribes marry one another. Igbos and Yorubas sit down with each other, laugh,joke, fight, trust, live, and are friends with each other and this is a normal and regular thing no matter what country you go to. Main point Yorubas and Igbos dont beef in the real world only politicians so hold your peace

and didnt you use to preach about the quran in the islamic section.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 2:49am On Aug 16, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Have mercy on him Chyz nwa Ukwuani, Chinenye has given him some extra-moral classes today.

He's walked down the wrong street again nwannem. I will teach him.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 2:50am On Aug 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Nobody is claiming Edo. I'm removing distortions from the stoiry

Yea, remove u distorted azz from this section. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 3:14am On Aug 16, 2011
tpia@:

geez, what happened to you.

Gotta teach him. No offense to you though. You know i luuuuuv u girl! Too bad ya never reply a dudewink sad

tpia@:

didnt you post this

That post still stands;however, it doesn't mean i wont throw fire when need be.

tpia@:

and didnt you use to preach about the quran in the islamic section.

Oooh,lol. So you've witnessed my great works in the islamic section. Even though Im doing bad doesnt mean i cant encourage/teach others to do whats right. wink
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by tpia5: 3:25am On Aug 16, 2011
^^what's with the americanese.

oya, post something good about yorubas here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-701804.0.html

i really dont have time for all this ethnic jingoism sha.

unless, of course, it becomes a problem.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 3:35am On Aug 16, 2011
tpia@:

^^what's with the americanese.

oya, post something good about yorubas here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-701804.0.html

i really dont have time for all this ethnic jingoism sha.

unless, of course, it becomes a problem.

Tpia, i will post something when the time comes wink. . .

I stay away from tribalism as much as possible. Im not a tribalist. wink. . .why u keep ignoring a brotha?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by tpia5: 5:10am On Aug 16, 2011
^^because your wife is blocking my view.

i dont want wahala.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by NegroNtns(m): 5:51am On Aug 16, 2011
Chyz,

Until you meet my challenge to you, Edo is Yoruba.

The only way you can prove otherwise is to bring an Edo person of deep knowledge of his culture to come and erect a virtual foundation of his ancestry here.

Everyone is waiting I'm sure to witness the face off.

So shut up and walk the talk. All that "gbosa" you are doing will not resolve the distortions.

We want an A to Z reconstruction.

I am ready whenever your expert is.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Chyz2: 6:25am On Aug 16, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Chyz,

Until you meet my challenge to you, Edo is Yoruba.

The only way you can prove otherwise is to bring an Edo person of deep knowledge of his culture to come and erect a virtual foundation of his ancestry here.

Everyone is waiting I'm sure to witness the face off.

So shut up and walk the talk. All that "gbosa" you are doing will not resolve the distortions.

We want an A to Z reconstruction.

I am ready whenever your expert is.

And till you prove otherwise, yorubas came from Igbos-FACT. . .Liver with it! wink
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 21, 2013
Dimka 76: I dont know why people always twist history to elevate themselves. Lately I hear that Bini was once subjugated by yoruba? Benin culture is hundreds of years older than Yoruba. It is simple Jss 1 history. How can a son of Ife found Bini that was already there? Eko was founded by Bini warriors. Eko in Bini actually means ''Camp''. Well if we dont know other people do that is why a country is called '''Benin'' today and none is called Oyo or Ife. As at the 16th century Bini was a thriving empire. Oduduwa who the Yorubas claimed leapt down from heaven was actually a Bini crown prince who had been banished from Bini. It was he who used his knowledge of organized society to weld the scattered Yorubas into a nation. He told them he came from heaven to ensure legitimacy as ruler! That is why when the strife that caused the banishment was over the Binis sought their king but the guy was already a king somewhere else and would not go back to a people who rejected him. However aftre much pleading he compromised by sending his son to rule Bini, '' Hey more l8r off to work
Your story seem like the one I read,it sounded true because I know the benin empire existed 500years ago,the south and west of yoruba lands started as an organised society less than 200years ago.Ille ife was in the outskirts of the south north for a long time,both they mostly wield spiritual significance.The Benin Empire was the proctector of the south and south west to Dahomey Benin,Indigenious rulers pay obeiscence and show loyalty and patronage to the benin King.Due to its military prowess and intelligent planing The Benin King can mobilise 100,000 fighters in a short notice at any given time.the Benin Empire weilded authority over these vast regions.its forces actually camped at Eko during one of their war campaigns,the Benin King sensed acrimony in the South-West Lagos region and he sent a fully mobilised force to colonixe the Lagos Island-the Shrine of the Benin King was located in Oju-olobun Victoria Island-the name Oju-Olobun is an Edo name.Eti-Osa is an Edo name,Osa means Bush.The Benin Empire opened up the area, organised and sanitised it for the people local people.so many street names in Lagos Island today are Edo names.The Benin Empire went into conquest for the benefit of the local people,the Benin Kingdom was a very organised society of conscious,intelligent brave people and still is.
Obaa'to pee....is'e
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Jun 22, 2013
why do we have penchant to tell others history from our own perspective and be the same to adjudge others in their history as our own? this can only be describe as cultural imperialism in print and in cyberspace. Africans have this in common, we can celebrate our affinities in better fashion, why do we often choose inflaming ideas to project our believe? we can always do better, learn to present what you profess in the best perspective that endear like minds to it.http://yorubaclassics..com/[
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by honifome(m): 11:58pm On Jun 22, 2013
Yoruba can never accept the falsification of her history however quack historians write up.Oduduwa was the son of lamurudu who was killed in mecca during islamic jihad.He had no choice than to live th e city and wondered through egypt,gulf of aden and passed through sudan,chad,northern borno.He reached Bussa in niger and crossed the river niger until he finally get to an unhabited forest where he later called ile-ife (home of dwelling).Many followed him on the way and he had many wives and seven children who later established their own fortresses in various kingdoms such as alake of egba,alaketu of ketu,onisabe of sabe,onipopo of popo,owa obokun of ijesha,oranmiyan of oyo,ooni of ife and olowu of owu.Any other first class oba in yorubaland that is not mentioned was established by the oyo empire.Oranmiyan being the last born left ife and went to benin where he became the first oba but left in annoyance later due to some pronounced differences where he called ile ibinu(land of anger in yoruba).Thereafter,the name benin emerged after various mixing by itsekiris,urhobo and portuguese.He returned to ile-ife but decided leaving sooner to avenge his grandfather killing and revive yoruba ifa religion in mecca but he failed due to unclear ways to the destination and stopped at borgu where he meet some elders presented him a calabash and snake.The elders instructed him to hang the snake round his neck and followed the directions the snake points to and wherever it disappeared is the destination to carry out the revenge according to their beliefs.Oranmiyan did not hesitate to follow the instructions due to his focus on avenge mission but unfortunately,the snake disappeared at a place in woodland savannah where their is no evidence of islamic activities and finally gave up on his mission.He named the place oyo and automatically. become the first alaafin of oyo.Due to old age,he left oyo and went back to ile-ife after installing his first son ajaka as the second alaafin.In ife,the benin elders paid him a visit and pleaded for his return to become their king after the demise of his rival but he declined and told them to install his son owomika(eweka) as their next oba because he remembered he impregnated a benin woman erhimwinde on his way back to ile ife in anger and that is how benin became yoruba ally.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by lawani: 8:58pm On Jun 26, 2015
Benin itself means Ubinu which is vexation in Yoruba, the title, Oba is Yoruba, I wonder what Benin's old name was before people from Ife changed the name to Ife Ubinu. Does anyone know? The Ifes agree that Oduduwa was not an Ife man but was adopted, I wonder why Benin people are intent on denying the fact that they were under Ife despite all the evidence. Without a doubt, the early Kings of both Oyo and Benin were buried in Ife which they saw as home. Both dynasties were founded by Oranmiyan from Ife. Benin and Oyo were the most successful successor states of Ife. Ijebu appear to be a contemporary or rival of Ife that was at its peak when Benin and Oyo were just tiny villages.

Benin didnt found Ife and such a claim is blasphemous to the Ifa scriptures which I think the Benin also study. Oranmiyan mobilized forces to invade Mecca where Oduduwa was driven out, he faced North and settled in Oyo on his way back, he didnt face the direction of Benin city. Also, Oduduwa categorically mentioned the name of Nimrod to Ife people as his ancestor. I wonder if that name is also Edoid. Oduduwa, the original one, landed from space with Obatala and co. The one that came from Mecca is a reincarnation. The name features in Ifa verses and is ancient Yoruba like the name of other orisas.

How can anyone say a place name like Eti osa is Edoid? What about Eti oni then? Osa means lagoon in Yoruba and Etiosa is just the name you will expect in that place. Any descendant of the Oba of Benin that came to Lagos was Yoruba like his forebears, the indigenes of Lagos island are Yoruba, the Benin army mobilised to Lagos spoke Yoruba. To manufacture an Edo identity for the Benin empire is actually an uphill task. The Obas were Yoruba until recently. Communication to them by European nations were communicated in Yoruba. To now come in the 21st century to rewrite history may be said to be mischievous.

Benin royalty were Yoruba and they spoke only Yoruba in the palaces. Portuguese records show Yoruba being spoken, the people in Benin spoke Edo as mother tongue but their rulers who also presided over the empire used Yoruba and were addressed only in Yoruba. The present Oba is now Edo though. This is why the Olu of Warri is a better representation of what the Oba of Benin was in the past. The Benin empire was far from being an Edo empire. It was thoroughly a Yoruba one.

I suspect that the ancent Ogisos saw Ife as home too. There are other non Yoruboid speaking groups too who see Ife as home. The language spoken in the most ancient Ifes will be much removed from any language spoken today,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by macof(m): 11:43pm On Jun 27, 2015
Lawani are you muslim?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by babaakin: 11:38pm On Aug 02, 2020
The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From ILE-IFE
By Farouk Martins Aresa
The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From ILE-IFE
LISTEN AUG 29, 2017

The most objective way to tell the history of a people or ethnic group like the Bini is to look at historiography from their perspective. In other words, in light most favorable to them: in Jacob Egharevba Ekhere vb' Itan Edo. No historian could have worked harder on Bini. Despite Jacob’s effort from the 1st to the 4th Edition of his books. The facts that Ogiso and Oba Dynasties came from Ile-Ife, never changed. Adumu as common ancestor of Ijaw, Edo and Yoruba was revealed!

It was Adumu/Oduduwa’s folks, today’s Ijaw, Edo and Yoruba progenitor that intermarried with autochthonous Ooyelagbo in Ile-Ife, Efa in Bini and Oru in Delta. The relationship between Ile-Ife, near Nupe then, and Bini heralded the Oduduwa or Adumu Dynasty in Ile-Ife. Casting away myths or fantastic stories substituted with archaeology and other scientific facts as radiocarbon dated burial of Ogiso body parts in Ife, it became clear that both dynasties came from Ile-Ife.

When the Ujo or Ijaw left Ile-Ife, Adumu or Oduduwa had established over the autochthonous Ugbo or Ooyelagbo. Adumu/Adimu/Oduduwa as a “multiracial” of Ugbo and Tapa from Nupe area and certainly had the blood of Ooyelagbo to rule. This was depicted in the power struggle between Adumu and Obatala descendants. It suffices to understand that the mythical Adumu existed well before Christ compared to his recent descendants in Bini, Ijaw and Yoruba history.

It boils down to waves of migration from Sudan north and south, the builders of Egypt mixed with autochthonous Rain Forest people that claimed they never migrated from anywhere but were created on their land. So it is the Bantu that mixed with autochthonous Nri Ibo/Igbo Oru, Osu claiming they never left their land or had no king. Just as Ugbo/Ooyelagbo in Ife and Efa in Bini. There is a distinction between Oba or Obi ruling class and land owners they intermarried.

Ijaw like others, mixed and left many lands of Kumoni, Efa in Edo to Bantu, Osu in Delta regions before the 2nd Dynasty of Oba from Ugbo Ile-Ife to Edo. Urhobo and Ijaw had left Aka (Edo) before the 2nd Bini Dynasty of Oba arrived. According to Prof. Peter Ekeh: Urhobo language yields clues to the profile of the society and culture which the Ogisos ruled. Urhobo know this king by his usual name Ogiso, without any other titles. He was their king. On the other hand, Urhobo know the kings of the House of Eweka more distantly as Oba r' Aka, the King of Benin .

“Ogiso ma miemwe efiagba" Ogiso never convened meetings but in times of trouble or crises. Moreover, the Oduduwa/ Adumu that sent the Ogiso could not have been the same Oduduwa that sent Oba. Oba of Bini banished his son, Kaladerhan with his mother from the city instead of killing him and he eventually became the Founder of Guwatto (Ughoton) on the bank of a river, after wandering in the forest. Yet many Edo that celebrate the banishment of Ekaledarha with establishment of Ughoton have not spoken up that he was never lost to Ile-Ife and his time or that of his father could never have been the same with that of the ancient Oduduwa/Adumu.

As this writer had asked in – The Father Of All Nigerian Ethnic Groups ” – on their way from and to Egypt, Saudi Arabia or Israel, Nigerians never met one another? They all found themselves in the same location or split into sub-ethnic groups claiming suzerainty over one another. In the case of Bini and Ife, Ekalarhan son of the last Ogiso that fled and established Ughoton has been reincarnated in 2004 as ancient the Oduduwa/Adumu known to other ethnics before Ogiso.

Note the migration waves of rulers as Ogiso, Oba and Obi to landowners: Eri, Osu, Efa and Oru. The Yoruba or Yooba today claimed the world started in Ile-Ife. But Bible writers claimed Eden Garden with Adam and Eve. Scientific evidence has brought the first humans closer to Ife closer to Sudan than the Bible story. This is important because Ile-Ife had moved 8 times according to Prof. Obayemi further away from Sudan and Nupe to the safer Rain Forest. The earliest date so far was the Yoruba artifacts in Iwo Eleru confirmed as around 10,000 B.C. This contradiction in religious belief leads to condemning infidel, kaferi as unbelievers by fanatics on religious opium.

Foreign religious dates have changed African history pandering to European belief, be subjected to ridicule, denial of missionary hospitals and schools for those that refused to convert to Islam, Christian, or Jewish religion. Even when there is no radio carbon verified dates of Christian or Islamic dates of life origin based solely on faith. Compared to African oral history held up to scientific standard. Non-believers on faith could lose their lives in the hands of charlatans and extremists on religious opium or those seeking converts.

In Ekhere, Egharevba wrote that the Obagodo, the first Ogiso, came to Benin from Ife with charm in form of a snail shell; afterwards cast in brass, containing some earth which vested power over land on him. He had written that "Ewedo was the one who put then reigning Ogiefa as the priest of the earth at the place the snail shell container of sand which Ogiso brought from Ife was buried and the place is also the shrine of the earth deity.”

Ogiefa had repeatedly come from Uhe to Benin city for the practice of medicine prior to his accompanying his master Prince Oranmiyan, hence every member of the family of Ogiefa is flattered ever since by the title "Ovbiaronto" (child of the pioneer). This account was discarded as it does not fit into the Hamitic hypothesis account (that everything of value ever found in Africa was brought by Caucasians) on origin of the empire and kingship of his later editions.

The foreign religions and ancestors infused in African history started with another fanciful claim by Sam Johnson. He earlier rejected it: Yoruba are certainly not of the Arabian family, and could not have come from Mecca -- that is to say the Mecca universally known in history, and no such accounts . . . are to be found in the records of Arabian writers or any kings of Mecca; an event of such importance could hardly have passed unnoticed by their historians (Johnson 1921: 5).

Ogherevba also compromised his work to incorporate the committee's work-Intelligence Report on Benin City in 1938, it became the first application of the Hamitic hypothesis to Benin history by an indigenous elite. Jacob Egharevba initial story both in Edo and later in English changed to accommodate some of these foreign “contributions”.

Every ethnic group seized on it claiming kinship to Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Israel ignoring the scientific data that it was Africans that moved around to those foreign lands. It is a case of old countries claiming to be from new areas: reverse migration contrary to scientific facts. Yet, some Africans still see themselves as Egyptians, Arabs and Jews!

It is not surprising to see rich Edo sculpture and language compared to that of Egypt and claims that they came from Egypt. What did not change was sojourn through Sudan and Ile-Ife. So, it is not only the Edo that ignored their neighbors they mixed with in their Rain Forest, each ethnic group claim autonomy or not knowing the same neighbors they had inter-married producing what is now referred to as new ethnic groups!

Olokun that Bini had in common with its neighbors as worship of the "Sea" (Olokun) was translated to Egypt: "Orao, Orao, Olokun N'oba as "Pharaoh, Pharaoh, the Red Sea" and is an invocation of King Pharaoh in the Red sea. ("Orao" as corrupt form of Pharaoh! Even the brass casting work common to Ife and Bini. Oba Oguola that had asked the Oni of Ife for a Brass smith and had Iguegha sent to him from Ife is now a matter of dispute between Edo historians.

For more study: http://about.jstor.org/terms
Farouk Martins Aresa
Farouk Martins Aresa, © 2017

The author has 548 publications published on Modern Ghana.
Column: FaroukMartinsAresa

Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Coded2(m): 9:09pm On Aug 08, 2020
Ikhilor:
Dahomey is an abbreviation of Isidahomey from the Esan speaking tribe of Benin empire.He was actually a war general who was sent by the Oba of the day to conquer new territories and was the founder of both today,s Benin republic and Togo.This same general Isidahomey even went as far as some parts of today,s Ghana. As already attested to here, the Benin Empire also founded a camp(Eko) (till date, it,s called so in Benin) on the way for rest, that later grew to be known as Lagos. There are infos on the origins of Lagos, Togo, Benin (Dahomey. Sources had it that the late president Eyadema even came to pay homage to the Oba of Benin and was subsequently taken to Esan land to the compound of general Isidahomey the original founder of both today,s Benin and Togo.The Benin Empire spanned the river Niger through Ondo state and a large part of western Nigeria all the way to Togo and some parts of Ghana.This empire did a lot in it,s heyday, even if she,s lying idle today because of an African supported conquest by the criminal British, cry cryindeed it,s the heartbeat of the nation.
point of correction the Benin empire never span the river Niger through ondo state .
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Kirigidi(m): 9:09pm On Aug 11, 2020
Bluetooth2:
Very insightful.benin was a vassal state to the yoruba empire which was why oranmiyan wa sent there in the first instance to resolv the chieftancy

crisis following the collapse of the ogiso dynasty.the word ''oba'' has no link with benin language. angry angry
Did Yorubas had empire in the past? Can cowards ever achieve that? Can you mention any tribe the Yorubas fought and conquered in the past?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eze Ndigbo Title Remains Banned – Deji Of Akure / Opinion: Personalities Of An HAUSA/IGBO/YORUBA Man(the Good And Bad Sides) / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.