Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering (20588 Views)

Moses Adebowale Ogunbiyi Slumps And Dies (UNIOSUN Civil Engineering Dept HOD) / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 3:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
Seth2T:
opp u forgot it's involves the study of water, public health, surveying, mining, programming etc

The problem here is that every engineer thinks he knows the other and the other is less difficult to his own experience.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 3:38pm On Jul 28, 2017
asamaigho:
first of all, I laff at most the comments,cos they show gross ignorance of what civil engineering is all about,back then in Uniben,as a civil engineering student,we write a single exam for 9hrs and no two answers can ever b thesame, while other departments exams go for about 2-3hrs,the truth is that chemical engineering is more of a child's play when compared to civil engineering in all ramifications.
U cannot to design a single storey building in less than 12hrs, not to talk of a bridge or multi storey building.
WITHOUT BEING SENTIMENTAL,CIVIL ENGINEERING IS BY FAR HARDER THAN ANY ENGINEERING COURSE

If not for the computer and its processing powers, a building like burg el arab would still be under design processes.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by bayulll011(m): 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

Chemical? chemistry and little maths? u know nothing at all. The day u go near biochemical engineering u will know that structural engineering is still learning. Have u ever started a solution by guessing the values of the parameters and after spending 30mins the result doesn't converge u come back and guess again? then welcome to mass transfer. Can u generate 5 simultaneous equations in one problem welcome to optimization, Can u dissect a reaction using integration by parts, welcome to Reaction engineering, I can go on and on not forgetting polymer engineering. Lest I forget Analysis where second ODE is a child's play

why u dey lecture this one.

you think is chemistry.
by the time you start with strenght of material

join with tranport phenomena.

seperations process and biochemical you will know that heaven is real.

the higher you go,you enter thermodynamics,heaven now punnish you your chemical engineering is combined with polymer.

design,optimization,control smh
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 5:38pm On Jul 28, 2017
adanny01:

You need to be corrected.

Let me remind you that in building Burg el Arab, several structural engineering firms didnot accept the challenge of designing the structure. If the calculations were such straight forward, who will reject it.

It seem you underestimate civil engineering analysis and design. Those are not straight forward calculations you saw in 200l if youare an engineer.

bro u got me wrong.....what I was trying to say was that non of the chemical engineering reaction comes close to any of the listed civil engineering design calculations I mentioned...
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Golden75(m): 6:31pm On Jul 28, 2017
after reading a lot of comments. sitting on d existing protocol permit me to add mine. first of all I will lyk to say am a graduate of Chemical Engineering.d truth is comparing Chemical Eng with Civil is lyk comparing Maths and Eng.it depend on d perspective u re looking at it from.if u re gud in drawing Civil will be easier for u but if u re better in analyzing complex calculstive problems chem eng will b better for u.both no easy sha....sharrout to my eng boys and baby guys back then at MAUTECH Yola
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by apache77(m): 6:32pm On Jul 28, 2017
Chemical engineering is very abstract..lots of mathematics, computations and calculations..forget chemistry..it has nothing to do with chemistry except at the base or elementary level as science is its foundations. You are hardly able to conceive in your mind what is being said, where as in civil, immediately they talk trusses, you see them in your mind, immediately they call a unistrut, you see it, you see materials, you see projects, you see structures.
In chemical engineering, yku have to think in 4 dimensions- x, y,z and the last cordinate, which is an abstraction.
So in transport, thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, etc etc, you are just solving mathematicsl models, maths maths maths.. while engineering is derived science, chem engr is derived engineering.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Xcellente: 7:13pm On Jul 28, 2017
Golden75:
after reading a lot of comments. sitting on d existing protocol permit me to add mine. first of all I will lyk to say am a graduate of Chemical Engineering.d truth is comparing Chemical Eng with Civil is lyk comparing Maths and Eng.it depend on d perspective u re looking at it from.if u re gud in drawing Civil will be easier for u but if u re better in analyzing complex calculstive problems chem eng will b better for u.both no easy sha....sharrout to my eng boys and baby guys back then at MAUTECH Yola
a graduate of MAUTECH? Bro, am a civil engineering aspirant.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
asamaigho:

bro u got me wrong.....what I was trying to say was that non of the chemical engineering reaction comes close to any of the listed civil engineering design calculations I mentioned...

I get it now.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 7:52pm On Jul 28, 2017
apache77:
Chemical engineering is very abstract..lots of mathematics, computations and calculations..forget chemistry..it has nothing to do with chemistry except at the base or elementary level as science is its foundations. You are hardly able to conceive in your mind what is being said, where as in civil, immediately they talk trusses, [b]you see them in your mind, [/b]immediately they call a unistrut, you see it, you see materials, you see projects, you see structures.
In chemical engineering, yku have to think in 4 dimensions- x, y,z and the last cordinate, which is an abstraction.
So in transport, thermodynamics, chemical kinetics, etc etc, you are just solving mathematicsl models, maths maths maths.. while engineering is derived science, chem engr is derived engineering.

Very funny.

What makes you think civil engineering is about trusses? If both chemical and civil engineering is about conceiving in the mind, what makes you think civil is easy to concieve in the mind.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2017
Golden75:

Also very funny. Civil engineers dont draw.

First is analysis, then design and lastly drafting. Drafting is the easiest part where laymen can. Most top engrs employ draftsmen for that part.

Infact design has been made easy with softwares. However, experience is needed for the input on the software else the output will lead to a failure. Experience is also needed to know that the output will lead to a failure.

Am sure you know math well, have you ever seen moment distribution in math? Am sure you will see figures flying here and there but you will never in your life know what it means. Yet you call it math. Besides, the math is just analysis and the design is yet to start.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
SpaceAngel:
I don't understand why threads like this always show up on this forum. Difficulty could be relative , someone might find something easy while another sees it as very difficult ,so these funny comparisons are not necessary . �

Exactly! So many people tend to be myopic especially from the fact that they are biased towards their own course of study.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by stanisbaratheon: 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2017
embarassed
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Seth2T: 9:45pm On Jul 28, 2017
asamaigho:
first of all, I laff at most the comments,cos they show gross ignorance of what civil engineering is all about,back then in Uniben,as a civil engineering student,we write a single exam for 9hrs and no two answers can ever b thesame, while other departments exams go for about 2-3hrs,the truth is that chemical engineering is more of a child's play when compared to civil engineering in all ramifications.
U cannot to design a single storey building in less than 12hrs, not to talk of a bridge or multi storey building.
WITHOUT BEING SENTIMENTAL,CIVIL ENGINEERING IS BY FAR HARDER THAN ANY ENGINEERING COURSE
not only dat it's only in civil engineering dat most of dere exams are open book, when I say open book I mean ur free to take any materials to d exam hall be it ur phone for go ogling, text book, handouts etc yet students still fail dey cus
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by mechanics(m): 10:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
civil Engr.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Scholar212(m): 11:08pm On Jul 28, 2017
hinograce:
Well I think it differs based on d university. For Uniben 2:1 in Mech eng is the highest any scholar aimed at. To all the Geologists in the house greetings. We Rock
are you for real? Mechanical graduated 8 First Class last year, my friend was among them in Uniben,Get your info rights.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 5:11am On Jul 29, 2017
IF NOT FOR EXTREME IGNORANCE there is no basis of comparison between civil engineering CALCULATIONS TO chemical engineering CALCULATIONS......in my set , civil engineering had only 2 girls (iron ladies) and 53 rugged boys while chemical engineering had almost 47 girls 31 boys,thats y we call dem girls engineering .
I COULD REMEMBER A HOST OF GUYS THAT TRANSFERRED TO OTHER DEPARTMENTS WHEN THE SAW REAL STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS AND A QUEU OTHER DIFFICULT COUSRES.

CIVIL engineering IS FOR MEN...YOU CANT DO SURVEY PRACTICALS UNDER HOT SUN FOR 3HRS AND REMAIN THESAME
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by hinograce: 6:10am On Jul 29, 2017
Scholar212:
are you for real? Mechanical graduated 8 First Class last year, my friend was among them in Uniben,Get your info rights.
@scholar212 really great news then. I am quite old school if u understand what I mean. I left there almost a decade (10years) it was a dream then. Good to know our young lads are breaking boundaries

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 9:48am On Jul 29, 2017
ayenitre:

Chemical engineering attracted nationwide highest scoring UME/SSCE students in my time. In fact, my class was the most competitive in the whole of my university at that time, producing record number of first class in a year, including university valedictorian. Oil boom of the 80s made it so, because civil used to attract the best students in the past.

You have no idea about what chemical eng entails if you think it is just maths and chemistry. Look at it this way, chemical eng is about every field of science there is, from controlled drug delivery, tissue engineering, genetic engineering to advanced functional materials.

Energy and bulk chemicals are the traditional areas, and even that has evolved. In the past, most chemical engineers would work in oil and gas related energy fields like the upstream and downstream facilities, nowadays, more chemical engineers develop efficient photovoltaic cells from silicon or organic perovskites to harvest sunlight for electricity, you'll find chemical engineers working on electrocatalysts to split water into oxygen and hydrogen, and making electrodes for lithium ion batteries, designing batteries including new ones, like flow batteries.

The name chemical engineering is somewhat a misnomer, and some departments in the US are making changes to reflect this.

Preferences and sentiments...

You be Chemical, I be Civil... We repping different teams

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by sirqeeboi(m): 10:44am On Jul 29, 2017
adanny01:

If not for the computer and its processing powers, a building like burg el arab would still be under design processes.

after they have built the computer did u think the person that program the computer to do the work is not a civil engineer, that is why civil engineering students learn programming language.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 10:49am On Jul 29, 2017
sirqeeboi:

after they have built the computer did u think the person that program the computer to do the work is not a civil engineer, that is why civil engineering students learn programming language.

As a civil engineer, i know that.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Champella(m): 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2017
zionmade:

Yes
did u study any of them so we can start from there?

I am neither an Engineering student nor graduate.

By the way, why did you go for another Engineering degree? Did you run both simultaneously?
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Hardehtahyor(m): 9:23am On Jul 30, 2017
adanny01:

Also very funny. Civil engineers dont draw.

First is analysis, then design and lastly drafting. Drafting is the easiest part where laymen can. Most top engrs employ draftsmen for that part.

Infact design has been made easy with softwares. However, experience is needed for the input on the software else the output will lead to a failure. Experience is also needed to know that the output will lead to a failure.

Am sure you know math well, have you ever seen moment distribution in math? Am sure you will see figures flying here and there but you will never in your life know what it means. Yet you call it math. Besides, the math is just analysis and the design is yet to start.

Hardy Cross!!!
... Civil not Easy
proud Civil Engineer in making
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by absool(m): 2:04am On Jul 31, 2017
mejai:
bros... chemical engineering is dangerous. Our motto in FUTO..... WARHEADS!!!
Dat alone, plus d complex nature will drive u crazy.

U are asked to solve a question..... after solving, u can't differentiate btwn d question and the answer.
but has futo produced a first class in Civil engineering b4
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Yankiss(m): 8:44pm On Aug 18, 2017
asamaigho:

u did elementary strength of materials and statically determinate structure, and u concluded that u did civil engineering......u are really funny.
so u really want to compare heat and mass transfer,polymer and biochemistry to theory of structures,structural mechanics,prestresses and reinforced concrete design,foundation design,hydraulic structure designs?.....I pity u..by the time bending moment hit u, u can never walk straight.
You are funny too. We did bending moments, strusses, etc! Fact is, you simply cannot compare Civil with Chemical Engineering
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by yusman14(m): 4:52pm On Jan 23, 2020
drakespearz:
Civil Engineering calculations are more straight forward but chemical engineering is more complex.
So I'd say chemical engineering is more difficult.
Never underestimate any department in faculty of Engineering.
Before you start quoting me Upandan I have degrees in both.
Never knew this untill I tasted chemical engineering.Hello bro
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by yusman14(m): 4:52pm On Jan 23, 2020
drakespearz:
Civil Engineering calculations are more straight forward but chemical engineering is more complex.
So I'd say chemical engineering is more difficult.
Never underestimate any department in faculty of Engineering.
Before you start quoting me Upandan I have degrees in both.
Never knew this untill I tasted chemical engineering.
Hello bro
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by yusman14(m): 4:55pm On Jan 23, 2020
hardon1:
All na dasme. Engineering have same basics in 100 and 200 levels. Changes begin to take place from 300 level. An intelligent student who does well at those levels will also do well at further levels in any engineering discipline. They all have same prerequisites
Really??I actually thought 300l and above are more difficult
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by PDSI(m): 11:33am On May 21, 2020
Civil Engineering Students!!!.

LEARN AutoCAD/Orion for 10days intensively. Just for 100NAIRA per day. Equip yourself now. https:///2348108531343
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by springrolls: 4:24pm On Jul 19, 2020
kingjahjah:
go and study Architecture n know how hard it's.

What would be a deciding factor in choosing between Architecture and Civil Engineering. I'm trying to decide on a course to pursue. Recommending good Nigerian universities to study both would also be appreciated.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by mujibson(m): 10:57pm On Jul 19, 2020
After meticulously following this thread from the beginning to the end. Now as a Civil Engineering student, I feel like crying for myself in advance.

My uncle advised me to opt for Civil because according to him it's simple. With what I've read here so far, I can conclude my gullible self have been misled by an uncle who doesn't know much about a Civil Engineering course.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Mr2kul(m): 6:15am On Jul 20, 2020
mujibson:
After meticulously following this thread from the beginning to the end. Now as a Civil Engineering student, I feel like crying for myself in advance.

My uncle advised me to opt for Civil because according to him it's simple. With what I've read here so far, I can conclude my gullible self have been misled by an uncle who doesn't know much a Civil Engineering course.
Oga just read, be serious and that's all. No course is easy, no course is hard. Not even the almighty MEDICINE they claim to be difficult. It all depends on how you view the course, your passion and interest.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Femzi8cul: 5:21pm On Jul 22, 2022
Civil is far far better

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which University Do U Think It's Easier To Gain Admission To In Nigeria? / The LONGEST Word In The World / UNILAG Releases 2011/2012 Foundation & POST UME Merit Cut-off List And Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.