Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,585 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering (20608 Views)

Moses Adebowale Ogunbiyi Slumps And Dies (UNIOSUN Civil Engineering Dept HOD) / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by hakeem4(m): 8:53am On Jul 28, 2017
absool:
I often hear students complaining about how hard Chemical engineering is but after a little research which I carried out, I noticed more students graduating with first class in Chemical engineering than in Civil engineering. Which do you think is tougher
the only aspect of civil that's is tough is structures. I'd say chemical engineering is thougher

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Mosjentle(m): 8:53am On Jul 28, 2017
lol actually both courses are both tasky.Depending on whose side ur on.
i tell you as a Civil Engr undergraduate, iv seen a lot. chaii
structural design,sef, bbs for 10stories building ,u go wan die.
designing for columns,beams,Slabs, 15pages calculations, Mehn!! if you dont remember formula A, you cant get to formula Z���������
Not to talk of them,Hydro part,Fluids in motion..
or is it geotechnics?
don't let me deceive you, if your brain is not strong, don't even try civil engr, if you Do, well God help you.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by lonelydora: 8:54am On Jul 28, 2017
freshest4live:

During my time in uniport, both departments were tough, none had produced a first class in their history.
Haven said that, chemical is definitely more diverse than civil and quiet interesting, and more students enroll in chemical than Civil on the average, so the possibility of attracting the very best is higher in chemical than civil.
The rate at which you may find one more difficult than the other depends on your interest.

We dey talk about animals with horns, snail too dey join queue.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Maglorix(m): 8:58am On Jul 28, 2017
I'm a civil engineering student in uniben but I can boldly say its chemical engineering.......... those guys go through hell for real...so many of my final year chemical engineering students were willing to go to electrical again from 300l....HERES A LIST OF HOW T GOES

MECHANICAL - AVERAGELY HARD,BUT CAN GRADUATE WITH A FIRST CLASS IF U CAN SORT LECTURERS,ITS ALL ABOUT BLOCKING

ELECTRICAL -EASIEST WITH THE HIGHEST NUMBER OF FIRST CLASS AND 5.0

CIVIL- EXTREMELY HARD AND VERY COMPLEX,ALWAYS DOING THE HIGHEST NUMBER IF COURSES IN ENGINEERING

CHEMICAL- THE HARDEST, VERY COMPLEX LABORATORY PRACTICE ,TOUGH AND COMPLEX COURSES WITH MUMU LECTURERS

PETROLEUM- LOWEST NUMBER OF COURSES ,NO STRESS HERE AT ALL

GO FOR ELECTRICAL, THATS JUST THE BEST WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD RESULTS AND UNDERSTANDABLE COURSES

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Maglorix(m): 8:59am On Jul 28, 2017
Mosjentle:
lol actually both courses are both tasky.Depending on whose side ur on.
i tell you as a Civil Engr undergraduate, iv seen a lot. chaii
structural design,sef, bbs for 10stories building ,u go wan die.
designing for columns,beams,Slabs, 15pages calculations, Mehn!! if you dont remember formula A, you cant get to formula Z���������
Not to talk of them,Hydro part,Fluids in motion..
or is it geotechnics?
don't let me deceive you, if your brain is not strong, don't even try civil engr, if you Do, well God help you.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Maglorix(m): 9:00am On Jul 28, 2017
BS CODE structural DESIGN,THE MOST STRESSFUL COURSE ANY CIVIL ENGINEERING STUDENTS WILL FACE....HOURS OF CALCULATION WITH reference TO CODES

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 9:12am On Jul 28, 2017
obonujoker:

I don't think you understand what mechanical engineering is... pele......
i laugh at u. Mechanical is simple compared to chemical.I studied mechanical engineering. Surprisingly in my yr 2 and 3 i couldnt even count up to 6 courses that had calculations. The highest challenging courses there are fluid mechanics and control engineering which chemical also offer as transport phenomenon and control systems
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 9:13am On Jul 28, 2017
Champella:

Na wa o. You mean you have B.Eng degrees in both Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering?
Yes
did u study any of them so we can start from there?
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 9:14am On Jul 28, 2017
Eastatlantaniqqa:
hmm both in chemical and mecianical ! *coughs*
ISSORITE !
one thing with average class nigerians is that they call watever they find difficult to believe a lie. Not evrybody on NL is ur mate academically
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by freshest4live: 9:19am On Jul 28, 2017
lonelydora:

We dey talk about animals with horns, snail too dey join queue.
Where did you graduate from?
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by SpaceAngel: 9:19am On Jul 28, 2017
I don't understand why threads like this always show up on this forum. Difficulty could be relative , someone might find something easy while another sees it as very difficult ,so these funny comparisons are not necessary . �

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by freshest4live: 9:22am On Jul 28, 2017
PROVERBZ:
but the same uniport for the last 3 years the number of applicants for chemical eng has been below 550 will civil has always been above 1000 I have statistics from jamb to prove this infact that is the reason I applied chemical eng this year
Is it still Civil and Environmental Engineering?
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by lonelydora: 9:28am On Jul 28, 2017
freshest4live:

Where did you graduate from?

Only two schools in Nigeria...... My school and Others. I graduated from "My school"
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by salford1: 9:29am On Jul 28, 2017
Those that enjoy physics would find Civil engr simpler. Vice versa for Chemistry and Chem engr.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by freshest4live: 9:29am On Jul 28, 2017
lonelydora:

Only two schools in Nigeria...... My school and Others. I graduated from "My school"
OK, but uniport is definitely not in the class of snails, and your previous statement reeks of ignorance. Besides no university amongst the top ten is really different from the other.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by freshest4live: 9:32am On Jul 28, 2017
salford1:
Those that enjoy physics would find Civil engr simpler. Vice versa for Chemistry and Chem engr.
Chemical Engineering has more maths and physics than even chemistry.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by lonelydora: 9:33am On Jul 28, 2017
freshest4live:

OK, but uniport is definitely not in the class of snail. Your previous statement reeks of ignorance. Besides no university amongst the top ten is really different from the other.

Was joking shaa, but Uniport girls in PH are making us belittle the school. They are not serious, don't know if there's a course called "How to make money with bottom power" in Uniport. 95% of them are ashewo. Sorry oooo but that's the hard truth.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Moblord(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2017
Civil engineering of course.. go try structures
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by DONADAMS(m): 9:38am On Jul 28, 2017
abegi..chemical doesn't come close to civil...chemical wey we dey call female engineering..
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by donqx: 9:45am On Jul 28, 2017
none
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by DONADAMS(m): 9:47am On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:

I know but both have craze maths grin
As an ind chemistry
Maths and physics wan kill person
industrial chemistry mathslol..very funny
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by VajanahDischaj(f): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2017
Both easy! U dont have focus on ur career path. The only hard thing is Nigeria
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:
Mechanical is not even as hard as chemical talk less of civil. The truth is that in civil the calculations are somehow straight forward, u can know wen u arrive at the answer. but chemical, my brother it's too complex. Before anybody quotes me, I have a degree in chemical and mechanical. I will prefer writing mechanical exams compared to chemical. civil na their junior brother.
Did you study both simultaneously?
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by seunny4lif(m): 10:06am On Jul 28, 2017
DONADAMS:
industrial chemistry mathslol..very funny
Yes
Maths and pyhysic
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by shine12: 10:09am On Jul 28, 2017
I studied Civil but I know Chemical Eng is very hard. Civil Eng is straight forward but I believe Chem Eng is very diverse.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by BentSpoon(m): 10:10am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:
Mechanical is not even as hard as chemical talk less of civil. The truth is that in civil the calculations are somehow straight forward, u can know wen u arrive at the answer. but chemical, my brother it's too complex. Before anybody quotes me, I have a degree in chemical and mechanical. I will prefer writing mechanical exams compared to chemical. civil na their junior brother.

•••

Noun graduate spotted

How can u say mechanical engineering isn't the hardest ?? Which university was that??

Tell ur lecturer it will never be well with him for teaching u with manipulated curriculum

•••

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Qudus94(m): 10:12am On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:

Civil Engineering na drawing ooooh unless FUTA own dey diff grin grin
Not normal drawing like artist ooooh
how will you say civil engineering is drawing? what then happens to concrete design, steel design, geotechnical, water resources(what do you draw in that?), highway?
my brother you need to chill
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by michaelmo11(m): 10:14am On Jul 28, 2017
hakeem4:
the only aspect of civil that's is tough is structures. I'd say chemical engineering is thougher
It seems as if you haven't heard of geotechnical & foundation engineering.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 10:16am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

Funny you have experience with chemical and mechanical but non on civil.

Dont think that the introduction to civil engineering been taught in 200l in the Nigerian curriculum exposes you to what civil engineering is.

The bolded is absolutely wrong.

No two civil engineers would design a building, bridge or road and come out with one definite answer. There is even no answer in civil engineering. However, from calculations we only recommend. Recommedations are also guided by rules and bounded with ranges and limits. This is what makes civil engineering difficult.

Instead of the nonexistent reason you gave, i think the reason civil engineering appears more difficult especially with low graduation results is because most intelligent engineering students usually go for more lucrative courses such as Chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering. We all know civil is not as lucrative and competitive like its counterparts especially as demanded by oil companies which are the major employers of engineers in Nigeria.

The best brains in Chemical and mechanical engineering during my school days are all oil company staff today. The best guy in civil engineering is still a hustler in Abj making very little money compared to his chemical and mechanical counterparts.

How many children do you hear say i want to be a civil engineer. They either say i want to become a chemical engineer or mechanical engineer. So during admissions the best compete for chemical and mechanical. This who are good but do not get mechanical are through to Agric, metallurgical or civil engineering.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Qudus94(m): 10:25am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:
when you know ter zhaghi you'll know he is a bastard
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 10:33am On Jul 28, 2017
BentSpoon:

•••

Noun graduate spotted

How can u say mechanical engineering isn't the hardest ?? Which university was that??

Tell ur lecturer it will never be well with him for teaching u with manipulated curriculum

•••
NOUN indeed
mechanical is d simplest. Am a uniport alumni
But wait wat exactly do they do in mechanical?
Strengt materials, metallurgy, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, instrumentation, tell me wat exactly is scaring in mechanical. I am yet to see any course in mechanical that will ever come close to Chemical reaction engineering
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 10:35am On Jul 28, 2017
Iroroghene:
Did you study both simultaneously?
lol Don't bother about that. I did them quasi-simultaneously

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Easiest Way Out For Broke (Poor) Students / Is 2008/2009 Neco Results Released? / Alaafin Of Oyo Is The Chancellor Of University Of Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.