Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 - Travel (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 (826687 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 16 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 2:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
Austinpee4:

Sorry about the outcome of your application. Quite unfortunate really. I can only see few things that MAY have raised the officer's doubt about funds 'AVAILABLE'.

Like you already know, an applicant MUST have 'sufficient and AVAILABLE' funds to cover tuition and living expenses for the first year.
I stressed the available because i noticed you mentioned a TA and a 3rd party sponsorship. The yearly stipend you will be having from the school will be under some terms and condition which can be defaulted even before you complete the first semester which may leave you without funds during your first year.

Secondly, 5m in your uncle's account does not mean you have access to it since he is a 3rd party. 700k is the funds you actually have access to.

So with a likelyhood that a TA funding leaves you with a 50:50 chance of AVAILABLE funds, a 3rd party sponsorship and a 700k personal funds, there is so much to raise a reg flag on regarding AVAILABLE funds for tuition and living expenses which is the angle that is considered.

Here is what i propose if you decide to reapply again.

1. Have your uncle transfer atleast your living expenses fund to you.
2. Increase your personal funds to say 1m
3. Provide an affidavit of sponsorship of your uncle.
4. Do not try to explain too much about the funding you have. You can't understand their educational system more than them. They know already, the more you try to explain things, the more their eyes is raised to why you are particular about bringing their attention to it. Remember, they are looking for things under the covers, you will be helping them uncover it if you do.
5. Get your GCMS note.

Regards bro.

I think he said he had full scholarship, even 12k CAD yearly in stipend. So he might not be dependedent of a third party. This should be enough and I will advice on a second try he continue to emphasize "full scholarship." He should not run away from that. There is nothing suspicious or he is trying to hide that they are going to uncover by emphasizing. That said, I agree he needs to ramp up his availability to personal funds. Last time I saw a full scholarship candidate approved, he not only presented his full scholarship offer, but his dad's personal statement of 56 million nairas.

Ps: availability to 10million Nairas( I am guessing the same amount he requires to pay his entire expenses if he didn't have a scholarship) in this case I think should confidently defeat insufficient funds finding.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by bigmove: 3:02pm On Oct 12, 2017
hello,
how possible is it to get a study permit, sowp and visiting visa if application is done at once? or is there another way to go about it?

My husband got admission for MBA in rotman(Toronto) for 2018 and were planning of leaving together with a child less than 2years.
Your inputs is highly needed... thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Ope100(m): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
No news yet boss man
Judgepelumi:

Bro what's up with your app
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Andyosifo(m): 4:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
Pls,i applied for my gcms note since September 8,i have not gotten a response from them. I was told it takes 30 days.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by mayorelnino(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2017
Good evening guys pls how do I request for gcms notes, secondly I have a cgpa of 3.33 am I eligible to apply for masters in canada? thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Promise005: 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2017
Hello house, please I need a reply ASAP. My uncle and mom are sponsoring me.My uncle is more of a family friend who we have known for years and he is a Muslim with an Islamic name while am a christain. He is thinking that the different last name might be an issue if I state is my uncle.He Is suggesting I say it is a social responsibility scholarship from his company. What do u guys think ? Please

Thank u
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nellybobo(m): 4:52pm On Oct 12, 2017
jnyuwa02:

As a first class graduate, there are a myriad of scholarships available to international students from Canada's universities. With the right fine tuning writing a compelling statement of intent and research proposal, there are many universities in Canada waiting to swing wide open their gates for you. As for the visa application, the 800 pound gorilla in the room, it's a leveler. Everyone has to meet the same requirements of financial and home ties. I have seen some first class, fully funded graduates rejected for a visa. But if you continue to stay and keep abreast to this forum, I am pretty sure you will learn fast when it comes to the visa application time, how to make the odds work in your favor. Like what to say to the VO in your statement of explanation, how to assemble a winning portfolio in general.
Thank you very much sir.. I appreciate

Pls quick question.. do I really need NYSC at all?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by awuf: 5:08pm On Oct 12, 2017
bigmove:
hello,
how possible is it to get a study permit, sowp and visiting visa if application is done at once? or is there another way to go about it?

My husband got admission for MBA in rotman(Toronto) for 2018 and were planning of leaving together with a child less than 2years.
Your inputs is highly needed... thanks

It's very possible to get all at the same time BUT there's a lot you need to put into that application.
1. U need to show u have available funds for ur tuition and at least 1 yr living expenses (10,000 CAD)
2. U need to provide additional funds for each family member joining u.
3. U need to demonstrate u will return to Nigeria (or leave Canada) at d end of ur study by providing home ties. Home ties could be job, property, family... But immediate family is considered very strong

Generally, what I gathered from part 9, mainly those going for doctorate get dis combo & I suspect it is cos doctorate degree takes over 3yrs & understandable, it's a long time to be separated from ones family.

Rotman's MBA is very expensive. It is advisable ur hubby applies alone. U & baby can serve as hometies. As principal applicant, he has a lot to put together in order to present a strong profile.
1. Show access to unencumbered funds in SOA for 6 months
2. Demonstrate how d MBA is a Career progression
3. Prepare documents to show assets that will bring you back home (not only family)

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 5:24pm On Oct 12, 2017
Nellybobo:
Thank you very much sir.. I appreciate

Pls quick question.. do I really need NYSC at all?

If you have the certificate or exemption, I will highly recommend you enclose it. It gives your application some heft. But if you don't have it, no biggie, many have gotten approved without it. It's a balancing act where one deficiency is made up by a strength somewhere. And nobody says you have to do NYSC right now. You can come back to Nigeria after your masters and do it. Getting funding and working to prove to the visa officers that you a legit student and will come back to Nigeria are the most important criteria.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by awuf: 5:27pm On Oct 12, 2017
Austinpee4:

Sorry about the outcome of your application. Quite unfortunate really. I can only see few things that MAY have raised the officer's doubt about funds 'AVAILABLE'.

Like you already know, an applicant MUST have 'sufficient and AVAILABLE' funds to cover tuition and living expenses for the first year.
I stressed the available because i noticed you mentioned a TA and a 3rd party sponsorship. The yearly stipend you will be having from the school will be under some terms and condition which can be defaulted even before you complete the first semester which may leave you without funds during your first year.

Secondly, 5m in your uncle's account does not mean you have access to it since he is a 3rd party. 700k is the funds you actually have access to.

So with a likelyhood that a TA funding leaves you with a 50:50 chance of AVAILABLE funds, a 3rd party sponsorship and a 700k personal funds, there is so much to raise a reg flag on regarding AVAILABLE funds for tuition and living expenses which is the angle that is considered.

Here is what i propose if you decide to reapply again.

1. Have your uncle transfer atleast your living expenses fund to you.
2. Increase your personal funds to say 1m
3. Provide an affidavit of sponsorship of your uncle.
4. Do not try to explain too much about the funding you have. You can't understand their educational system more than them. They know already, the more you try to explain things, the more their eyes is raised to why you are particular about bringing their attention to it. Remember, they are looking for things under the covers, you will be helping them uncover them if you do.
5. Get your GCMS note.

Regards bro.

The bold comment makes a lot of sense.
Also it's possible they suddenly feel we should not be beneficiaries of their scholarship. International students should pay higher to d benefit of the countries GDP & not come and be educated at tax payers expense.
USA is currently doing something similar with ple who go there to have children.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Preetivee: 5:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie I applied for a study visa and got denied reasons:
1) purpose of visit
2) other reasons:
Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: qualification, previous studies, employment, level of establishment or future prospects and plans.
Bio-data
Bsc- biochemistry
Intended course of study- human resource management
Nysc completed.
I would like to reapply how do I go about this? Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by bbclue(f): 5:55pm On Oct 12, 2017
Any body that is requesting for his or her gcms note should order it with a legal opinion. ...that is ......the legal opinion the lawyer will explain what you will do in your next application and how ti go about it......I think that one is $50 but if you order just for ordinary gcms note which is $5 that will only explained your main refusal reasons.......thank you

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Austinpee4: 5:56pm On Oct 12, 2017
awuf:

Also it's possible they suddenly feel we should not be beneficiaries of their scholarship. International students should pay higher to d benefit of the countries GDP & not come and be educated at tax payers expense.
USA is currently doing something similar with ple who go there to have children.
Quite unfortunate. Another very interesting thing of concern is that some countries have noted that foreign students especially from Africa still abandon school even with funding and financial aids to seek other things. So i feel what most countries do now is to ensure applicants would have committed significant amount of their personal funds even with these types of fundings and aids either through a reliable sponsorships( Parents, immediate family), liquid cash or strong evidence like a cash flow or source and/or affidavits from other persons offering financial support which can be used as evidence in a court incase the student use an excuse of not meeting the conditions of the scholarship/TA to do other things to raise money for study.

So it's rather SAD Africans especially Nigerians are subjected to such scrutiny. Understandably, alot have happened in this light in time past and it's becoming stringent in all fronts even when everything appears to be technically in order. They just don't completely trust Nigerians unless they see very huge and enormous financial capacity of the applicant.

May God help us.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 6:03pm On Oct 12, 2017
awuf:

Their duties is to enforce the law and not be making some nonsensical policies. Who says scholarship awarded to international students is from tax payers? Could be from an endowment or wealthy benefactors with good intentions of their funds set aside to enrich the experience of Canadian students by attracting worthy international students. If school has awarded scholarship, that should be the end of the matter I feel. The only way this makes any sense from a law enforcement point of view, is that our predecessors who have gotten scholarship to Canada, suddenly are bamboozled and carried away with the glitz lifestyle there in Canada that they loose their scholarship. They fail out of school or default the conditions of their offer and become a drain and liability to the Canadian system. So to prevent such unfortunate cyclical happenings, the Canadian government is expecting people to show that if they fail out or can't keep to the onerous conditions of their scholarship, they will have access to their own personal funds. This is the only way this begins to make any sense.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by skylar2020(f): 6:36pm On Oct 12, 2017
@jnyuwa02, Austinpee4 and others. Please can we create a winter 2018 TRV list like we did for fall 2017. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Igbouwanile(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mandoy:

yeah, I remember. There was no concrete reason stated on the Gcms note, only reason for refusal and the messages I sent when the application has passed normal processing time
If you saw refusal reasons on ur gcms notes which u applied for when ur application was still within processing time, it means that a decision on ur app. had been made before now, but the just waited to send u update abt it.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nellybobo(m): 7:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
jnyuwa02:

If you have the certificate or exemption, I will highly recommend you enclose it. It gives your application some heft. But if you don't have it, no biggie, many have gotten approved without it. It's a balancing act where one deficiency is made up by a strength somewhere. And nobody says you have to do NYSC right now. You can come back to Nigeria after your masters and do it. Getting funding and [b]working to prove to the visa officers that you a legit student and will come back to Nigeria [/b]are the most important criteria.
Pls any tips on the bolded ? How do they convince them? I heard nysc is usually used to convince them
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by ohizzyy7: 8:01pm On Oct 12, 2017
Igbouwanile:

If you saw refusal reasons on ur gcms notes which u applied for when ur application was still within processing time, it means that a decision on ur app. had been made before now, but the just waited to send u update abt it.
I think the application gets to the VO after eligibility check which is done by trained staffs, because i observe that the VO remark on gcms file does not correlate with documents submitted. Once your bank statement is not big then they conclude, this present method is affecting genuine students, and the emotional torture is something else, couple with constant mail from purpose school.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by bigmove: 8:10pm On Oct 12, 2017
awuf:

It's very possible to get all at the same time BUT there's a lot you need to put into that application.
1. U need to show u have available funds for ur tuition and at least 1 yr living expenses (10,000 CAD)
2. U need to provide additional funds for each family member joining u.
3. U need to demonstrate u will return to Nigeria (or leave Canada) at d end of ur study by providing home ties. Home ties could be job, property, family... But immediate family is considered very strong

Generally, what I gathered from part 9, mainly those going for doctorate get dis combo & I suspect it is cos doctorate degree takes over 3yrs & understandable, it's a long time to be separated from ones family.

Rotman's MBA is very expensive. It is advisable ur hubby applies alone. U & baby can serve as hometies. As principal applicant, he has a lot to put together in order to present a strong profile.
1. Show access to unencumbered funds in SOA for 6 months
2. Demonstrate how d MBA is a Career progression
3. Prepare documents to show assets that will bring you back home (not only family)
Thank you...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by jnyuwa02: 8:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
Nellybobo:

Pls any tips on the bolded ? How do they convince them? I heard nysc is usually used to convince them

NYSC what has become simply a rite of passage, is not how you convince them. Your conviction as backed by the things you have done for your community and Nigeria at large, is what convinces them. If you have any extracurricular or volunteer activities you do, any awards you have won, don't hesitate to talk about it in your SOE. Don't talk about it in a condescending manner, but in all humility, truth and forthrightness. Let your personality and passion and what makes you tick, leap off the pages of your SOE. When they read your SOE, let them come out of it really liking you and feeling maybe after all, there is hope for Nigeria. Don't beg them for visa or to expedite the approval of your application. Simply tell your story and why Canada and not Nigeria and leave it there. A short "respectfully," then your name and sign.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Mandoy(m): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2017
Igbouwanile:

They just decided to waste my time. waiting for 27weeks before they make a decision is not encouraging
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by awuf: 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2017
skylar2020:
@jnyuwa02, Austinpee4 and others. Please can we create a winter 2018 TRV list like we did for fall 2017. Thanks

I've been offering to create one. Kindly state ur timeline in d usual format

Proposed course of study, institution, date applied, online or paper

Awuf - MBA, VIU, 3/7/17 - online route, upfront medicals
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:25pm On Oct 12, 2017
Mandoy:

They just decided to waste my time. waiting for 27weeks before they make a decision is not encouraging
Bro did you see refusal reasons on your GCMS notes when you received it?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by LifeIsGuhd(f): 9:38pm On Oct 12, 2017
Awuf - MBA, VIU, 3/7/17 - online route, upfront medicals.
Lifeisguhd - Pgc, GBC, 28/09/17 - online route
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Jonaslokk: 9:59pm On Oct 12, 2017
McOsheBaba:

Abeg, those guys no dey use sense to analyse. Why would I need a scholarship if I can afford the fees?

So true tho

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by pvc4real: 11:19pm On Oct 12, 2017
awuf:

I've been offering to create one. Kindly state ur timeline in d usual format

Proposed course of study, institution, date applied, online or paper

Awuf - MBA, VIU, 3/7/17 - online route, upfront medicals

LIST OF WINTER 2018 TRV HOPEFUL

1. Awuf - MBA, VIU, 3/7/17 - online route, upfront medicals.

2. Lifeisguhd - Pgc, GBC, 28/09/17 - online route

3. PVC4real, August 18th, Georgian College - Computer Sys Tech - Networking, Online Route, Upfront Medical
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
skylar2020:

LIST OF TRV HOPEFULS (WINTER AND FALL 2018)

1. Awuf: July 3rd, MBA, VIU, Online route, Upfront Medical

2. PVC4real: August 18th, Georgian College, Online Route, Upfront Medical (Passed)----Delayed

3. Hamddy: September 14th, PGD, Niagara College, Paper Route

4. Steveobasi34: September 15th, Undergraduate, VIU, Paper Route

5. Lifeisguhd: September 28th, PGC , GBC, Online Route

6. Valenti12: October 6th, PGD, Humber College, Paper Route

7. Ceceliaa34: October 6th, PGD, Lambton College, Paper Route, Upfront Medical (Passed)

8. Weirdpc: October 16th, M.Ap.Sci., U of W, Paper Route, Upfront Medical

9. OriEyeLe: October 16th, PGD, Northwest Community College, Paper Route, Upfront Medical (Passed)

When you submit your TRV application, kindly add your details to the list and provide the following information:

*Submission Date
*Institution
*Level of Study
*Mode of Submission: Online/Paper

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by valenti12(m): 11:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
LIST OF TRV HOPEFULS (WINTER AND FALL 2018)

1. Awuf: July 3rd, MBA, VIU, Online route, Upfront Medical
2. PVC4real: August 18th, Georgian College, Online Route, Upfront Medical
3. Lifeisguhd: September 28th, PGC, GBC, Online Route
4. Valenti12: October 6th, PGD, Humber College, Paper Route
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Austinpee4: 11:52pm On Oct 12, 2017
@GlitteringStar,

Nice one bro!

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 13, 2017
Austinpee4:
@GlitteringStar,

Nice one bro! sis

Moi boss, thanks.

I'm a lady, though wink smiley

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Igbouwanile(m): 12:26am On Oct 13, 2017
Mandoy:

Am telling you, it can be very demoralising, but don't lose hope, if u can try again one more time, that would be nice.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 by Igbouwanile(m): 12:43am On Oct 13, 2017
ohizzyy7:

I think the application gets to the VO after eligibility check which is done by trained staffs, because i observe that the VO remark on gcms file does not correlate with documents submitted. Once your bank statement is not big then they conclude, this present method is affecting genuine students, and the emotional torture is something else, couple with constant mail from proposed school.
Well, I believe every VO is trained to carry out it's duties well, if it is abt big bank statement most people used a big one, but at the end what was the outcome? & yes I agree the current method is causing a lot of emotional trauma to prospective students. God help us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (501)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.