Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church (32541 Views)

Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? / Ladies Disclose Worst Things A Pastor Said About Women In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 30, 2017
chiscodedon:

All I can say...

2nd Timothy 4 : 3 - For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but instead, according to their own desires, they will gather to themselves teachers, with itching ears,
That's true brother. Many are just busy establishing there own doctrine to favor them just like the fake pastors we have in Nigeria
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by avaa(m): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
I am glad that today I better understand the culture, historical context, limited knowledge of those Hebraic people living in Northern Palestine 3000 years ago who came from a polytheistic tradition and choose Yahweh as their primary deity (as he was a war God) in their desperate goal to become a great nation.
In times of prosperity and peace, they always slipped back into polytheism. Whenever their ass was handed to them in battle by the far greater empires around them, they felt it was Yahweh punishing them for not being devoted only to him and re-affirmed their commitment to him. The Babylonian Exile cemented this for the last time and they became 100% monotheistic, out of deep regret, shame, desperation for favor. That was when they wrote most of the Old Testament to affirm this.
Once I understood their experience is THEIR experience and realized it has NOTHING to do with MY experience, nor should I put THEIR experience above that of any other culture as ABSOLUTE truth, it was very freeing.
A people's epic retelling of their "Birth of a Nation", often with a mythological mix of fantastical events with bits of actual history, is JUST THAT. It is sad it has been given prominence to the point of erasing other people's cultures and their ancestral stories, because of Christian colonialism.

Bro, I weak for here aswear. I have a friend on Facebook who is resident in England and has many Jews as friends. Whenever we talk, he tells me how most of them don't even take these stories or Judaism that birthed both Christianity and Islam as serious as Africans take them. Whenever I come on here and see people arguing about what the bible says or what it doesn't, I can't help but marvel. As in, people actually think a god wrote the book? In this age and time?

With the amount of information and research practically littering the cyberspace on the history of Judaism, comparative religion and the influence of many ancient religions that existed before Judaism on the religion itself, I really don't know how hard it is to connect the dots.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by ogunsbanjul(m): 5:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
The truth is women should always cover their hairs because by so doing that they have covered their heads. There is a biblical supremacy of a man over woman. Man is the head, I could remember then even after prayers when it's time to share grace it's a must a man or a male child who can speak always allowed to lead the grace unlike today women keep changing things with the support of some alaimokan men. Summarily, there is absolutely No gender equality between man and woman in leading Christian race.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Mahmudk2: 5:21pm On Jul 30, 2017
If not dat sum people twist dia faith into hatred, me as a muslim dat knows ryt & wrong rules of my religion. Alot wil be told to u by gud elders, gud parents, gud clerics, gud mallams & gud pastors dat all d rules to worship in our religions are almost dsame, tek a look as a gud muslim & gud christian dat knows no hatred to anodas soul. Examples... regardles of ur religions muslim or christian. (Dey wil tel u worship one God which mine is Allah and urs Jesus christ)(dey wil tel u dat luv ur neigbours regardles of dia religion. In my quraan as i was teached & told dat if u cheat ur neigbourz God wil b angry wit u Christian or Muslim.)(as a muslim dia is not dat verse dat eva says hate christians bkus evn my hero my Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. Av non believers in his era, town, even home and why i say home is dat his own uncle is a non believer til death and dia is neva a day prophet say dey shuld av him killed for not believing in his quest. Infact and fact u shuld know we all found ourselfs in dis world and born into d religions not by our wish not bkus we av sumtin to give to our creator bt dats how ur beloved God & mine want it, dats hw e wish to set his world. And for gals weda muslim or christians u urslf know dat sum1 dat wish to presents itself or herself to president or ur kingdom king for gud remark & favour must cum wit respects and av herslf tidy up lyk responsible fellow. Wat ar u using ur hair for in kingdom of God? I gues u cum for mercy & God favour. God-jesus christ is not interested in ur head or hair. Even if bible did not states dat u shuld cover ur head or hair let me aks u wil u respect Jesus christ or not? If not dat d world has cum to d end nobody do dare look at Elder while talking or conversations, and here is bible we are talking abt, words, teachings, of sum1 dat thousands of ur dad wil neva worth it. HAPPY SUNDAY ALL from Mahmud Hussein a.k.a. Mudex. 07067796123

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Tobechuckwu(m): 5:29pm On Jul 30, 2017
I don't know why this question is still coming up?
The bible says if she doesn't cover her hair or head as the case maybe,she dishonored her hair or head!
Where did the bible mentioned God in this issue?
Op,u said she dishonored her hair nd God!Plz read well before you pass judgment.
So many pple out there without covering their hairs,pray nd God answers.
Go to church nd face wat u are there for, not bin distracted with many issues without root.I know most tyms,challenges push us to God why not we face it squarely nd get it solve than dragging unnecessary issues!
You are not God neither are you his P.A.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by aliscomonaj: 5:40pm On Jul 30, 2017
Does the Christians follow the Bible? No the don't. Go through the verses u quoted above and tell me u r not applying ur own self logic other than what is been commanded in ur book. Women cover ur endowments(Hijab).
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by larenzoid08: 5:43pm On Jul 30, 2017
Montaque:

I am yet to know what you have against his jnterpretation of the verses. The advice was to cover head, not hair. A woman with a grown hair has her head already covered.

So you mean all these our women with attachments & Peruvian weavons have this as hair covering?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by 0b100100111: 5:55pm On Jul 30, 2017
hysteriabox:

Emm... please research ko. It was d men of Israel that covered their head while praying. Google is your friend

Today's Israel
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:00pm On Jul 30, 2017
0b100100111:
Even in Israel, There women cover there head.

Was so in Nigeria before Pentecostal churches nullified the doctrine!

But my dear we are talking about the Biblical stand about it.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2017
ymee:
Did Mary open her head?

I can't tell that but can only talk of that which is in scripture.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
Slai1:
You are right, op.

Thank sweetheart
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by 0b100100111: 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

But my dear we are talking about the Biblical stand about it.

Is Israel not the root of the religion? They re the best interpreters of the religion
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:04pm On Jul 30, 2017
yinkaellamz:
How do you cover your head without covering your hair.
read 1 corinthians 11 : 15
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by shadeyinka(m): 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an ........

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

Again let's look at verses 13 – 15 of the scriptures

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

My question now is; what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-the

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

I smiled on reading your post. First things first
1. Will God answer the prayer of a woman who did not cover her head? YES
2. Can a woman do spiritual activities for the Lord with her head uncovered? YES
3. Is it a sin if a woman does not cover her hair in the church? NO! Except if it is due to rebellion

Now back to the scriptures:

Verse 5 defines what Paul meant by "Head"
Do you think it means that, a woman must not shave her hair (left with no covering) while prophesying?

If your answer is YES, do you think that is the meaning?
Because there is a contradiction to that within the same verse 5 which says "it is the same as having her head shaved."

What do you think about this?

Culturally, do you think that Jewish and Gentile women in the days of Paul were shaving their heads so that the church felt it was a kind of rebellion? Of course not?

It was a shameful thing for a woman to have her hair/head shaved. Why? Because in those days in the 'underground brotels' and among the gentiles prostitutes usually cut their hair to make a statement of "I am not under any mans authority... You can have me and no trouble will come out of it". That was why it was a shameful thing...for a married christian to cut her hair.

Whatever definition you arrive at in verse 5 should now be applied to verse 13 through 16.

The scriptures can only be understood in proper context. Paul was addressing the Corinthian Church (a mixture of Jews and Gentiles). It was most likely offensive to the church where some women were coming to church uncovered which to the Jews was a sigh of rebellion: not under the control of any man (Husband or Father). And this was causing disagreements (1&2 Corinthians were to settle such disagreements once and for all by a higher authority).

Verse 16 & 10 ends it with two important points
1. If any one want to argue against this, we(the Church) has no other TRADITION
2. Verse 10 says Because the ANGELS are watching.

So my dear, the only argument anyone can have is to say that it is a Jewish Tradition!

Unfortunately, if tithes is a Jewish tradition and we follow it, why not this one too.

To me, it is a church tradition like in our secondary school, we were compelled to put on white socks or those of us that use the neck tie or berets for girls. It is part of the UNIFORM. Does putting on all these increase our school performance? No! But, can we be disciplined for not putting it on? Yes.

So also head/hair covering. They do not add nor subtract from your spirituality.

Shalom

Any other questions?

Is it a sin for a Christian woman to shave her hair?

3 Likes

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:08pm On Jul 30, 2017
obagangan:
some people will wake-up with fake doctrine from fake pastors to start there own preaching without allowing the holy spirit to interpret the word of God to them. even Muslim women pray with there head covered.

mumu Christian

Thanks alot probably the fake Pastor of mine wrote the Bible i used in backing up my claim.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2017
aribisala0:

So you are telling us the purpose of this scripture is to instruct women not to cut their hair?

Not that women shouldn't cut their hair but the should maintain long hair to cover their head
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by ChristineC: 6:10pm On Jul 30, 2017
Lovine:
Can a woman pray while taking her birth? Can a man pray while putting on a helmet? Yes yes yes, God is a spirit and we are all naked before Him. So what you put on when you pray does not matter but your heart and your relationship with Him.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by discman2k2(m): 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:
In the Christian community all over the world there have been an age long argument among some denominations over the covering of “head” or “hair” by women when in church or when praying or performing any spiritual activity.

The anchor scripture in the Holy Bible Christians used for this law as written by Apostle Paul is 1 Corinthians 11 : 2 – 16.

Now, let us look at this portions of the bible with KJV and NIV to see if the Bible really restricted women from going to church or performing any spiritual activities with their “head” or “hair” uncovered.

The Head of a woman is the Husband just as Christ is the head of the Man & the church. If a woman does not cover her hair then she has dishonored her head (the husband & indirectly dishonored Christ, because Christ is the head of the man).
You can not serve God by ignoring the place of your husband or "man which is the Church "
If you're not married, Christ is still your head, because He's the head of the Church where you entered to worship or praay.

THE QUESTION IS : WHT WOULD SAY IF YOU SEE A MAN WEARING A CAP IN CHURCH PRAYING?

Ladies please answer my Que.
Reman blessed dearest.

1 Corinthians 11 : 5 -6 "5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. " - (KJV).

“5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." – (NIV)

Again let's look at verses 13 – 15 of the scripture.

“13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering." – (KJV)

“13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.” – (NIV)

From the above scriptures, the Bible made it clear that a woman who performs any spiritual activity with her “head” uncovered have dishonored her head therefore dishonor her creator. Also the hair of a woman is the woman’s glory and the Bible have made it clear that her “hair” is for the covering of her “head”.

My question now is; did the Bible command women to cover their “hair” while praying? NO.

There’s no place in the Bible that says a woman should cover her “hair” while praying. Please note the two English words “Head” and “Hair”. In the scriptures above, the Holy Bible has repeatedly made it clear that a woman should cover her “head” and not “hair”.

The Bible also in verse 16 of the scripture stated clearly that the long hair of a woman is her glory and for the covering of her HEAD.

Therefore, I stronger oppose the believe that it’s wrong for a woman to go to church or pray with her hair uncovered because the Bible never say so.

A Woman can pray to God with her hair open as long her head is covered with her hairs.

Source: http://brainnewsng.com/what-holy-bible-really-says-about-women-covering-their-head-to-church/

Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by BrainnewsNg(f): 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2017
ymee:

You need to do more research

The argument is Based on Biblical contents, if i do a research outside the context of the Bible, then the Bible itself is subject to alteration abi amendment.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by moffat(m): 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2017
(1 Corinthians 11:6) For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.(NIV)
For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
http://www.apamission.org

try and understand this verses is reasoning
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
By the the end of the next century, No one will be talking about religion.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by aribisala0(m): 6:19pm On Jul 30, 2017
BrainnewsNg:

Not that women shouldn't cut their hair but the should maintain long hair to cover their head
It seems to methat could have been said directly i.e simple instruction GROW LONG HAIR why not just say that?
Anyway what important is to remember also that PAUL wrote those words in Greek and not English and to remember CONTEXT how was it actually implemented at the time by those to whom the letter was addressed and why was it necessary to address that parrticular issue or was he writing without a reason specific to that context?

The wordsmake a comparison between a shaved head and a covered head

why not an unshavedand a shaved? Now you are telling us covered means unshaved ?It really is not plausible.

Anyway whatever he was saying I do not believe a guy who lived and died 2000 years ago has authority to tell women what to do when worshipping God( another matter) but he was not talking about growing long hair that is totally absurd
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
shadeyinka:

I smiled on reading your post. First things first
1. Will God answer the prayer of a woman who did not cover her head? YES
2. Can a woman do spiritual activities for the Lord with her head uncovered? YES
3. Is it a sin if a woman does not cover her hair in the church? NO! Except if it is due to rebellion

Now back to the scriptures:

Verse 5 defines what Paul meant by "Head"
Do you think it means that, a woman must not shave her hair (left with no covering) while prophesying?

If your answer is YES, do you think that is the meaning?
Because there is a contradiction to that within the same verse 5 which says "it is the same as having her head shaved."

What do you think about this?

Culturally, do you think that Jewish and Gentile women in the days of Paul were shaving their heads so that the church felt it was a kind of rebellion? Of course not?

It was a shameful thing for a woman to have her hair/head shaved. Why? Because in those days in the 'underground brotels' and among the gentiles prostitutes usually cut their hair to make a statement of "I am not under any mans authority... You can have me and no trouble will come out of it". That was why it was a shameful thing...for a married christian to cut her hair.

Whatever definition you arrive at in verse 5 should now be applied to verse 13 through 16.

The scriptures can only be understood in proper context. Paul was addressing the Corinthian Church (a mixture of Jews and Gentiles). It was most likely offensive to the church where some women were coming to church uncovered which to the Jews was a sigh of rebellion: not under the control of any man (Husband or Father). And this was causing disagreements (1&2 Corinthians were to settle such disagreements once and for all by a higher authority).

Verse 16 & 10 ends it with two important points
1. If any one want to argue against this, we(the Church) has no other TRADITION
2. Verse 10 says Because the ANGELS are watching.

So my dear, the only argument anyone can have is to say that it is a Jewish Tradition!

Unfortunately, if tithes is a Jewish tradition and we follow it, why not this one too.

To me, it is a church tradition like in our secondary school, we were compelled to put on white socks or those of us that use the neck tie or berets for girls. It is part of the UNIFORM. Does putting on all these increase our school performance? No! But, can we be disciplined for not putting it on? Yes.

So also head/hair covering. They do not add nor subtract from your spirituality.

Shalom

Any other questions?

Is it a sin for a Christian woman to shave her hair?

Well said!

MODs, please you can now close the thread.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Zeusd3(m): 6:20pm On Jul 30, 2017
Tradition.... Does covering of hair guaranteed anyone heaven... If you are in a troubling situation like about to have an accident do you wait to cover ur hair before you pray or you pray 1st..... Think it through
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by shadeyinka(m): 6:25pm On Jul 30, 2017
Processor01:

Well said!

MODs, please you can now close the thread.

Processor sharp sharp!
smiley. wink cheesy

Still laughing so hard!
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by aribisala0(m): 6:27pm On Jul 30, 2017
0b100100111:

Is Israel not the root of the religion? They re the best interpreters of the religion
Which Israell? The one created in 1948 or another one
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by shadeyinka(m): 6:28pm On Jul 30, 2017
Zeusd3:
Tradition.... Does covering of hair guaranteed anyone heaven... If you are in a troubling situation like about to have an accident do you wait to cover ur hair before you pray or you pray 1st..... Think it through

You didn't read my post.
Question answered in point 1

And it was well stated that it doesn't add to nor subtract from ones spirituality.

Check
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by ChristineC: 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2017
avaa:
Bro, I weak for here aswear. I have a friend on Facebook who is resident in England and has many Jews as friends. Whenever we talk, he tells me how most of them don't even take these stories or Judaism that birthed both Christianity and Islam as serious as Africans take them. Whenever I come on here and see people arguing about what the bible says or what it doesn't, I can't help but marvel. As in, people actually think a god wrote the book? In this age and time?

With the amount of information and research practically littering the cyberspace on the history of Judaism, comparative religion and the influence of many ancient religions that existed before Judaism on the religion itself, I really don't know how hard it is to connect the dots.
you should leave everyone to their "delusions" and don't disturb others regurgitating your own delusion. research told of how humans evolved from apes but are yet to tell us how apes came to be or why apes no longer become humans in 2017. there are 1001 concepts unexplained by science but it doesn't matter anyway.
doesn't matter who believes the gospel or not. when we all die and there's a life after death then we'll all know, and if not then that's the end.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by Auki: 6:33pm On Jul 30, 2017
1.Mary covers her hairs
2.Jesus grow a beard.
3. All saintly person through out history covers their hair or grow a beard.

Muslims are more in common with Jesus than even Pope Francis.

Use your brain for ur salvation than just passing exams.
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by shadeyinka(m): 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2017
Montaque:

I am yet to know what you have against his jnterpretation of the verses. The advice was to cover head, not hair. A woman with a grown hair has her head already covered.

Does this same interpretation work for a man?

If I get you right, a man must not cover his head means that he must be bald!?
Re: What The Bible Really Says About Women Covering Their Head To Church by aribisala0(m): 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2017
Auki:
1.Mary covers her hairs
2.Jesus grow a beard.
3. All saintly person through out history covers their hair or grow a beard.

Muslims are more in common with Jesus than even Pope Francis.

Use your brain for ur salvation than just passing exams.
How do you know Mary covers her hair and Jesus grows a beard?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Marriage Alert: Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Splashes Millions On Wedding / Daddy Freeze & Rev Fr Kelvin Ugwu Clash Over Easter Teaching / Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.