Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,882 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) (60982 Views)

Quim Torra Bids Messi Farewell / Franck Ribery In Tears At Bayern Munich Ace Rafinha's Goodbye Farewell (Photos) / Aaron Ramsey In Tears As He Bids Farewell To Arsenal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by Sanchez01: 12:43pm On Aug 03, 2017
kjhova:

Thanks for the expose on Serena's multi-lingual abilities. Apparently, as stated in your attached article, most people are not aware of this, include moi.

That said, we are still where I left us which is that; it is not unusual for a famous personality to run a social media page in a language which he/she isn't proficient in as this is easily handled by an employed team. Also, "most" US celebs don't speak Spanish even though that language is fast growing in America mainly as a result of immigration. You could say many, but most is an absolute term for an overriding majority for which you will need factual backing to such claim.
Honest opinion, I think we should know when to back down from an argument.

First off, almost all celebrities handle their Instagram and Twitter accounts while they leave their Facebook to handlers to manage on their behalf. And yes, I agree with you, running several accounts in different languages make no sense, but know that it is easier for anyone to post on social media platforms and have their posts translated almost immediately.

Concerning 'most celebs don't speak spanish', I think it is quite fascinating to see that you're trying very hard to tilt the argument in your favour when you clearly cannot put up stats and figures. You did the same about Serena and your were certain beyond every reasonable doubt that she DOES NOT speak Spanish until I brought proofs forward.

In 2013, there were publications about Hollywood celebrities who were fluent in Spanish. A staggering sixty was mentioned by latina.com in a post titled '60 Hollywood stars who speak Spanish fluently!'
http://www.latina.com/entertainment/celebrities-hollywood-stars-fluent-spanish

thought.co went on to provide another list of over 20 celebrities with the caption: 'Celebrities Who Speak Spanish as a Second Language'
https://www.thoughtco.com/countries-spanish-second-language-3079181
Just so you know, Ben Affleck, Will Smith, George W. Bush and others were listed in the link above.

How about we look at Huffpost's publication as well?
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4577143

Before you think of coming back with a rebuttal, you should understand that there are more Latino and Hispanic celebrities in the US than other groups, which makes Spanish widely acceptable and appealing to a larger percentage of American celebrities, native speakers or others.
Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by somehow: 1:17pm On Aug 03, 2017
And why did you not learn the easy Spanish?
Rapahel1116:
Spanish is very easy ...compared to other languages ..talking of languages like German,Korean,Chinese, Portuguese, mehn....I tried learning dem ...BT German was d only language I tried speaking ....and Latin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by kjhova(m): 1:49pm On Aug 03, 2017
Sanchez01:

Honest opinion, I think we should know when to back down from an argument.

First off, almost all celebrities handle their Instagram and Twitter accounts while they leave their Facebook to handlers to manage on their behalf. And yes, I agree with you, running several accounts in different languages make no sense, but know that it is easier for anyone to post on social media platforms and have their posts translated almost immediately.

Concerning 'most celebs don't speak spanish', I think it is quite fascinating to see that you're trying very hard to tilt the argument in your favour when you clearly cannot put up stats and figures. You did the same about Serena and your were certain beyond every reasonable doubt that she DOES NOT speak Spanish until I brought proofs forward.

In 2013, there were publications about Hollywood celebrities who were fluent in Spanish. A staggering sixty was mentioned by latina.com in a post titled '60 Hollywood stars who speak Spanish fluently!'
http://www.latina.com/entertainment/celebrities-hollywood-stars-fluent-spanish

thought.co went on to provide another list of over 20 celebrities with the caption: 'Celebrities Who Speak Spanish as a Second Language'
https://www.thoughtco.com/countries-spanish-second-language-3079181
Just so you know, Ben Affleck, Will Smith, George W. Bush and others were listed in the link above.

How about we look at Huffpost's publication as well?
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4577143

Before you think of coming back with a rebuttal, you should understand that there are more Latino and Hispanic celebrities in the US than other groups, which makes Spanish widely acceptable and appealing to a larger percentage of American celebrities, native speakers or others.

My friend, regarding the bolded, really no need for hyperbole. You are right about Serena and that is ok. Puffing up my comment with embelishment isn't necessary.

No one is in doubt that Spanish is widespread as claimed by you with various articles to foot. My grouse is with the term "most".

"Most" is specific term suggesting that for any particular number of American celebs, more than 50% of them speak Spanish. This is plausible but it isn't fact unless someone has actually done the research and the results are there to show. It is irrelevant to this discussion that some 60 random hollywood celebs can speak Spanish considering that the term "American celebs" refer to a larger pool of Americans in various fields of endeavour.

Don't get me wrong, I am not hispaniophobic, however until at least 1,001 out of every 2,000 American celebs (TV personalities, OAP, recording artistes, sports folks, movie guys, scientists, socialites, politicians etc) are shown to speak Spanish, your claim that "most" US celebs speak Spanish remain a statistical untruth.

Que tengas un buen día, mi amigos.
Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2017
Viking007:
Now the world will know he (Messi) is a flop. cheesy

To all Messi fans, I'm in Apo, Abuja. Come and beat me.
Messi can NEVER be a flop as long as world football is concern.
He simple makes football very easy when he is in a team .Always falling deep to collect balls ,not to mention his crazy passes to those upfront & his staggering one touch that sets other players through on goal .
I think it's time for all football lover to see how Neymar has being feeding from Messi's superplay.
Time will tell.
Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by Rapahel1116: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2017
It wasn't useful to me den....BT I tried learning it online for 1week ...its one of the easiest to learn .....u should try learning German ....the grammar is damn difficult ..just like Korean and chinese ...and d writing for Korean and Chinese is mad....Spanish doesn't have much grammar its just like English and Latin.
somehow:
And why did you not learn the easy Spanish?
Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by gsogbu(m): 7:06pm On Aug 03, 2017
So after 8 years on nairaland i made front page in a post i did not even will have a comment. For those doubting the english version of the post instagram and google chrome gives you the ability to translate a post in any language to English
Re: Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) by somehow: 7:24pm On Aug 03, 2017
Spanish doesn't look easy to me, tried learning before, also tried mandarin. I have no need for German. Only language I want to learn now is mandarin.
Rapahel1116:
It wasn't useful to me den....BT I tried learning it online for 1week ...its one of the easiest to learn .....u should try learning German ....the grammar is damn difficult ..just like Korean and chinese ...and d writing for Korean and Chinese is mad....Spanish doesn't have much grammar its just like English and Latin.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chichi Igbo, Nigerian Female Footballer's Daring Photo / I Prefer Your Sister': Materazzi Reveals What He Told Zidane Before The Headbutt / Ahmed Musa Gives Sultan Of Sokoto A Customized Super Eagles Jersey (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.