Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,708 members, 7,816,910 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

"Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" (5443 Views)

The Question Most Christians Fail All The Time / Why Are Most Christians Stingy When It Comes To Church Offerings? / Nigeria Comes First With Most Christians In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by ogajim(m): 7:13pm On Feb 16, 2010
JeSoul:

Ogajim/Kunle, certainly you fellas know some posts/posters are worthy enough only to be ignored? Just glance over, shake your head and walk away, praying in your heart that wisdom will arrest the soul at some point before its too late.

JeSoul, God bless you my dear sister, I agree wholeheartedly with your post and will not waste my time with this lot. I will keep them in my prayers and hope they see the light some day.

Stay warm!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by JeSoul(f): 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2010
ogajim:

JeSoul, God bless you my dear sister, I agree wholeheartedly with your post and will not waste my time with this lot. I will keep them in my prayers and hope they see the light some day.

Stay warm!
Thank you my brotha. Funny enough, the title of the thread says "Most Christians Infected with Prosperity Gospel" . . . that truth could not be clearer on this thread and the posters according to the unfortunate persuations of joagbaje. But still, there is hope, I hope.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Annunaki(m): 10:36pm On Feb 16, 2010
The funny thing is dat most prosperity gospel adherents are wretched grin
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by mbaemeka(m): 12:03am On Feb 17, 2010
@ alatheia

Let me resolve this once and for all…….

1john 3:8 says a Christian; one who’s born of God cannot sin….right? So since you got born again (assuming you are) are you going to tell me you have never “sinned” since then? Now if you have does it mean the bible was not sure of what it said because it said one who’s born of God cannot sin.

Now reconciling it with the above discussion, if the bible says….those that dwell in Zion shall not say I am sick…. And you find yourself sick then it means the word of God is positing gnostism; spiritual elitism….an entirely false gospel….are you serious?

Then you say I exonerate my experiences over the word, boy sorry man I think you need to shine the light of God into your heart, you are not seeing the truth, 2cor4:3-4

The standard/ yardstick of Christianity is Christ: Jesus Christ. Every man in Christ is prepared by the people occupying the ministry offices like apostles, pastors, prophets, teachers and evangelists till we (every Christian) all come in unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ Eph 4:13. We are to put on Christ, be in Christ, grow in Christ till we become the same measure or attain the same stature that he has.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that if Christ wasn’t sick, I have no business telling people that (occasionally) as long as we’re on earth we’re to fall ill….that’s trash! It has nothing to do with Christ. If any Christian still finds himself falling ill occasionally then he/she is not doing the word.

In 1john1:6 the bible says if we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in darkness (disease, ignorance, poverty etc.) we lie, and do not the truth. Notice it didn’t say we lie and are not telling the truth rather it says we lie and do not the truth. In other words we lie and are not acting the word (Gods word is truth)

I’m not going to spend time explaining it to you again about Erastus and the lot. They’re not the full measure, Christ is.
I will show you one last thought

God didn’t want Paul to exalt himself through the abundance of revelations given to him, so he permitted him to have to have a thorn in the flesh (messenger of Satan) to keep him humble. Simply put the messenger of Satan meant an angel of Satan ( grk aggelos). It is never translated disease or physical infirmity and never means such. Satan’s messenger buffeted Paul so he won’t be tempted to become exalted reading from 2cor 11:23-27 he mentioned some of the things he went through, some of the things the messenger caused to happen to him and still he didn’t mention disease or ailment there. In fact the same word translated “thorn” here (skolop) was used in Num 33:55 and Hos 2:6 without indicating an ailment or disease.

Since God assured Paul that his grace was sufficient in such a time Paul said “he’d glory in such infirmities” and when he is weak then he’s strong not when his sick then he’d be well…you dig right? Really How can anybody glory in sickness?

I also studied the word astheneia and none of the words that came up related to disease or illness. Mt 8:17 says Christ took our infirmities and bare our sicknesses- how can he take it and let us live in it? It’s inconsistent!
The fact that pauls thorn in the flesh consisted of reproaches, necessities, persecutions, distress and infirmities proves that infirmities had to do with his trials, troubles and sufferings of body and soul which he listed in 2cor 11:23-33 and not a physical disease.

Did you read the story of James the brother of john? Where King herod took and had him killed with the sword( the church then may have been saying to themselves “he doesn’t know who brother James is” or he’s powerful oh, he’s a man of God” until he died). Maybe you will tell me it was God’s will for him to die there abi? The bible says when Herod noticed it pleased the Jews he took peter also….then prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him. (You see they saw they needed to do something)…you know the rest of the story.

Didn’t you read that God told Moses he’d take the people out of bondage and take them into the Promised Land? Was it Moses or Joshua who did it finally? Why? Did God lie?

The point is this; no matter how faith filled a person is if he allows anything into his life and it affects him adversely, it doesn’t in any way negate the word of God. The bible says we are to work out our own salvation and that the just shall live by his own faith.

In observing the case of Elisha, I hope you know Elisha wasn’t God always walking in the will of God at every point in time. He missed things sometimes like when he prophesied that the Moabites will be destroyed by the Israelites- he was wrong! The Moabites won the war. Prior to this instance Elisha couldn’t hear from the spirit of God(he needed a minstrel) because he nursed hatred in his heart for the king of Israel showing us that our attitude as well as disobedience and ignorance can also limit the efficacy of the word of God in our lives.
I’m also aware that his very bones revived another dead man which buttresses the truth even further that if he willed to resist the sickness from his body he would have or maybe he got angry with another person (probably the minstrel) lol! So nobody could stir him right only God knows. But the word of God clearly shows us that every Christian ought to live in good health all the rest of his life on earth.

Jesus said these signs shall follow them that believe…, ”they shall lay their hands over the sick and they shall recover”…, ”Nothing shall by any means hurt them”…

Think of it, Jesus said they shall lay their hands over the sick (notice he didn’t even say they shall pray for the sick) he said they shall lay their hands over the sick and the sick shall recover: meaning they’d have something in them that could resist diseases even the diseases of others. They’d have a disease killing life! Wooow! Rom 8:11

See what you’ve made me do; this has to be my longest post ever. You can read the first three or four paragraphs and you’d get the gist. If after reading this you don’t agree with me; you can go on believing what you want. I know what I believe and its working for me glory to God!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 1:03am On Feb 17, 2010
you have hit the nail on the spot! You are an angel
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 1:09am On Feb 17, 2010
Annunaki:

The funny thing is dat most prosperity gospel adherents are wretched grin

You are lying and you know it, Anyone that has embrace the truth of our inheritance become propeous rather. and the ignorant folks are wretched, and this truth is what they need to rise.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by aletheia(m): 1:18am On Feb 17, 2010
mba emeka:

@ alatheia

Let me resolve this once and for all. . .

^^^
A prosperity preacher is one who claims to be a Christian, but whose teaching focuses on man’s happiness and prosperity in this life. He is a humanist. It’s amazing… the only time in scripture where Jesus got furious was when men used God’s temple to make money (Luke 19:45-46). These were money-grubbers setting up shop in the Lord’s house of prayer. It happened in Jesus’ day and it’s happening in our day. This is exactly what hundreds and thousands of prosperity preachers are doing today. These men and women that stand up in their golden pulpits in designer clothing begging for money and making promises of healing and monetary return in the name of Christ should cause a holy anger in God’s children! The immature believer will often find it hard to distinguish these false teachers. We must warn against these mammon worshippers that call themselves Christians as a doctor warns against a deadly poison advertised as a medicine. This false gospel is spreading like wildfire.

Here’s a question: how can you recognize prosperity preaching? How can you tell if a person is a prosperity preacher? A million different people are saying 10 million different things so how in the world can we know the difference? Our answer is to look to Jesus. It's as simple as that. Ask yourself, “Did Jesus preach like this? Did Jesus’ preaching sound like this? What did Jesus talk about? What was His emphasis? How did He live?” Let’s take a look at some of the things that prosperity preachers tend to do and preach. They preach and live exactly the opposite of the way that Jesus preached and lived. If you are in a church where the preacher is guilty of any or at least a few of the following, RUN away from that church… you’ve found yourself in the midst of the prosperity gospel.

* Prosperity preachers tend to live lavish lifestyles with fancy cars, large houses, expensive clothes. Jesus did not do this. He did not even carry a penny on him (Matt 22:19). He had no place to live. “Jesus replied, ‘Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.’” (Luke 9:58). You can imagine the types of clothes He walked around in. Scripture says about our Lord that there was nothing in his physical appearance to attract people to Him. “He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him,” Isa 53:2.

It has been said that an indicator of a godly man is when his salary goes up and he still lives at the same standard of living as he did before. A prosperity preacher is not like this. As a prosperity preacher gains wealth, his lifestyle will also become more excessive.

* Prosperity preachers constantly attempt to make their hearers feel good. This is because they care about the number of people in their churches, not the spiritual maturity of the congregation. Jesus did not do this. C.S. Lewis said of Jesus, "He produced mainly three results: Hatred, Terror, Adoration." Jesus’ word is a sword. It cut people into two groups - those for Him, and those against Him. Those that love Him, and those that don't. The sons of God, the children of the devil. A prosperity preacher keeps everybody in one group, even an atheist can listen to the prosperity gospel and feel good. They wish to unite the world no matter who believes what. Their focus is peace and happiness instead of God's honor.

* Prosperity preachers sometimes promise blessing if you give to their ministry (emphasizing the word “their”). Try to find one instance in scripture where our Lord asked for money. You cannot do it! Jesus never asked for money… not even one time.

* You will hear them teach people to pray for and pursue prosperity but will not once hear them teach people the value of being content. It is rightly said that "He who possesses the most is he who is content with little," but since these false teachers are not concerned with the spiritual well-being of their congregation as much as their material well-being, you will not hear them talk of contentment.

* There is ZERO fear of God in their preaching. For all the gentle things that Jesus said to one person, He had a rebuke for another. He once called a Roman a man of great faith, and then called the Pharisees brood of vipers! The first is a picture of the Lord’s love, meekness and gentleness. How about the latter? Would you call Him “gentle Jesus” when He spoke to the Pharisees, calling them hypocrites, sons of Satan?! Our Lord was doing as the scripture commands : “And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.” (Jude 1:22-23). Prosperity preachers only follow the "compassion" part of that passage, for they are too fearful to rebuke. They believe in the love of God, but not the fear of God.

* Prosperity preachers rarely preach against sin. This is because they are concerned less about the soul than they are the body. They are concerned about this life more than they are eternity. Jesus preached against sin harder than anybody I’ve ever heard. When a man tells you to rather cut out your eye than sin, you can be sure that He’s serious about it (Matt 18:9). Listen very carefully and take note of how often a pastor talks about sin and speaks against it. This will tell you much about his own walk with the Lord.

* They say that it is God’s will for you to be prosperous (materially). Jesus said that the rich will enter the kingdom with more difficulty than a camel going through the eye of a needle! Yes, riches are dangerous for the immature believers who cannot handle the temptation… and you will not hear a prosperity preacher say this. If he or she could bestow masses of money on every believer, they would do it in a heartbeat because their motivation is to make people feel good. This is like giving every 5 year old child a $500 bill, a very foolish thing to do indeed. You can be sure that our Father in Heaven does not do this.

* They very rarely use the phrases "eternity," "sin", and "Hell", but very often use the phrases "your life", "your blessing". Jesus did not do this - He talked both of Heaven and Hell. He talked of sin and salvation. He talked of joy and torment. He left nothing out. The centrality of the gospel He brought is not in the happiness of man, but the glory of God. It does no justice to God to talk only of His perfect love, but not of His perfect power, justice and wrath.

* They say that faith will get you anything that you pray for (in other words, anything that you want - this is also known as the "Word of faith movement"wink. Jesus prayed to the Father, “not my will but yours be done.” Word of faith preachers focus on man’s desire. Jesus focused on God’s desire. The scripture says that God grants our desires only if it is according to His will. “Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.” (1 John 5:14)

* They use God as a means to their end. In their world God exists mainly to bring us to Heaven and give us happy lives here on earth. They will not say this blatantly, of course. Satan tends to hide poison in attractive bottles. What A.W. Tozer said of some false preachers is also true of prosperity preachers, “The problem is not so much error of doctrine as error of emphasis”. They emphasize what YOU want. Jesus always emphasized what His Father wanted.

It's no sin to have money. It's no sin to take leisure time. It's no sin to be happy. But make no mistake, the Judas Iscariots of the world that cling on to their moneybags and attempt to walk with Jesus at the same time will eventually find themselves selling their Lord for silver. Flee from prosperity preachers. Flee from a false gospel that puts the focus on what you can get from God in this life rather than what you can give to God. Remember that the entire reason for mans existence is not to get happy, it's to glorify, serve, and love the Lord. The rest is added to us.

"Does the Lord intend to make man happy? Sure, but it's a byproduct, not a prime product." - Paris Reidhead
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by mbaemeka(m): 1:36am On Feb 17, 2010
@ pastor/ bro joagbaje

thank you sir ! but i'm actually greater than an angel i was made a little lower than elohim, lol! wink wink
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Enigma(m): 4:46am On Feb 17, 2010
It would be rather helpful if all this "doing the word", "blab and grab", "name it and claim it", "health and wealth", "prosperity 'gospel'" people had the decency to agree that their "faith" (or whatever they call it) is not Christianity. They can call it "Word of Faith" or any other thing they like. That way we would take them for what they are.

What annoys us is that just as satan, the vomitter of this "Word of Faith"/prosperity "gospel" himself masquerades as an angel of light, the head boys of Word of Faith from the Kenneths Hagin & Copeland down to the Nigerian honchos including the jerry curled charlatan want to present their diabolical beliefs and practices as part of christianity.

"Doing the word" my foot"! That is why most adherents of prosperity "gospel", certainly in Nigeria are still poor; that is why many are sick and die of diseases that might easily be cured if there were adequate medical facilities.

Let the WoFers as we call them just go away from Christianity --- and we will leave them to their ways!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 6:13am On Feb 17, 2010
mba emeka:

@ pastor/ bro joagbaje

thank you sir ! but i'm actually greater than an angel i was made a little lower than elohim, lol! wink wink
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 6:21am On Feb 17, 2010
Galatians 4:14
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

mba emeka:

@ pastor/ bro joagbaje

ha ha ha, Thats alright , but nothing is wrong being called an angel, It means a servant,messanger or minister, remember the "angel of his presence"

Galatians 4:14
And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

But i understand we are superior to all them angels ,they serve us
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 7:01am On Feb 17, 2010
@Enigma

Enigma:

It would be rather helpful if all this[b] "doing the word", "blab and grab", "name it and claim it[/b]", "health and wealth", "prosperity 'gospel'" people had the decency to agree that their "faith" (or whatever they call it) is not Christianity.

And what is wrong with that, is it not better to blab and grab than to labour and quench? Jesus encourage the blab.

Mark 11:24
    Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

They can call it "Word of Faith" or any other thing they like. That way we would take them for what they are.

Romans 10:8
    But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

"Doing the word" my foot"!

Eeyaah! You now even insult the bible too.

James 1:22
    But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

That is why most adherents of prosperity "gospel", certainly in Nigeria are still poor; that is why many are sick and die of diseases that might easily be cured if there were adequate medical facilities.

Doctors dont heal,God heals, How many people have died in the hand of doctors? as they do their guess work and collect millions for tests and operation. The woman with the issue of blood spent all she had on doctors,Can lab test dictect the demons inside.Men of God and saints are the only hope ,and they do it free of charge. Some of us have come to the level of "doing the word" that we cast out devils at will. That message is what you need.

Mark 16:17
    And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Enigma(m): 7:21am On Feb 17, 2010
Joagbaje:

Eeyaah! You now even insult the bible too.

James 1:22
    But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

[/color]

Joagabaje 

The above is all I will bother to reply to -- and even that only because I want to make a clarification between you WoFers' "doing the word" and James' "doer of the word".

I will start with you WoFers' "doing the word"; you see "the word" as magic incantation just like babalawos, shamans, native doctors and other juju people. You believe 'if you confess and stand on the word' then that which you desire ("believing god for"wink will happen; well, keep deluding yourselves ----- with overwhelming majority of your people "confessing prosperity" still remaining poor!

Now to James' admonition to be "doers of the word" ----- he means something totally different from you WoFers; he means do good, lay aside filthiness. How does that compare to the WoF nonsense.

Here is a slightly fuller quotation of the passage (using NKJV):

James 1:21-22
Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

By the way, that self-same chapter James 1 has a few words for prosperity "gospel" mongers:

James 1: 9-11

Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away. For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.

Or how about this for those who say by being a christian "doing the word" you will not be sick or have any trouble etc

James 1: 2-4

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have [its] perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 8:29am On Feb 17, 2010
Trials are not sickness and decease. They are challenges of life. Even if it is sickness a christian should recognise his authority over the works of satan.

Luke 10:19
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

If a christian falls sick, he is responsible for allowing it, and he is also responsible for coming out of it.

James 5:14
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

So you can see that sickness can come through sin, and God is not responsible, God only teach you how to get rid of it. But there is a higher life where you dont fall sick again.

Romans 8:11
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Enigma(m): 8:45am On Feb 17, 2010
Joagbaje

May God deliver you from the doctrines of demons passed down to you from your jerry curled charlatan "pastor" but going far back as Hagin/Copeland and beyond them to E W Kenyon (whom Hagin plagiarised) and forth. Go and read up on Kenyon and discover his influences and the origins of some of the things that the charlatans now claim to be part of christianity!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 9:02am On Feb 17, 2010
I see these prosperity merchants are not ready to give up their evil trade despite the weight of evidence in the scriptures against such. Yes we know their source of incomefilthy lucre is being threatened so they have to put up a fight. But what would it profit a man to gain the whole world and loose his soul   This is why some of us have decided to take the offensive against these merchants of death[propesrity pastors] and expose them for whom they are. initially i used to refrain from naming names but when their church members keep coming to this forum to idolize these same demons that are leading them to hell i knew the problem is more serious than initially perceived and all appearances of evil, evil itself and it's disciples must must be condenmed in very clear terms that aside these p.imps are getting bolder every day and inventing their own scriptures. There is no point anymore not mentioning names, let their adehrents know it is their leaders that are the false teachers the bible warned us about, not matter how smooth talking they are. As christians we can't afford to keep quiet any more less these demons lead more souls to their father in hell, we have to stand up and fight for the souls for our brethen and not allow these charlatans to lead them into mammon worship whilst fleecing them. These charlatans are also ridicling christianity whilst the whole world sees them as christian leaders, they must be exposed for what they are and they must stopping rubbishing and mocking true christianity.

joagbaje and mba emeka are very good examples of why we must continuosly fight to expose these mamon worshippers and wolves in sheep's clothing amongst us. These two have been so thoroughly brainwashed that despite all the clear cut teachings in the bible against their type of gospel they ignore these biblical teachings and look for scriptures which they can quote out of context and twist to deceive the simple minded most of whom never study the scriptures for themselves. In so doing they continue to lead innocent souls away from from the saving grace and true gospel of our lord Jesus Christ.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Enigma(m): 9:12am On Feb 17, 2010
There are very very extensive materials on the Internet challenging and refuting Word of Faith theology including the misapplication of scriptures (as done by Joagbaje above). However, I like to put up the link to a very brief/concise piece that could serve as a starting point for enquiry by people who have doubts or questions about the type of nonsense spouted by joagbaje as learned from the charlatan "pastors". 

See here: http://www.gotquestions.org/Word-Faith.html

cool
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 9:21am On Feb 17, 2010
Enigma:

Joagbaje

May God deliver you from the doctrines of demons passed down to you from your jerry curled charlatan "pastor" but going far back as Hagin/Copeland and beyond them to E W Kenyon (whom Hagin plagiarised) and forth. Go and read up on Kenyon and discover his influences and the origins of some of the things that the charlatans now claim to be part of christianity!

Kenyon was in school where some people there believe in metaphysics and some funny dotrines in his days but that didnt make him one of them. I will recomend you to read any of Kenyon's book Your life will turn arround.

Let me share a testimony with you if you care;  I used to be sick of malaria almost every week , from childhood, People told me i would grow tall , that that is why i fall sick often, I consoled myself that I will be able to play basket ball in future as a tall man. But at the age of 21,I had a miracle drug called sunday sunday medicine , Every week i just take it, i lived on that drug to prevent malaria. I came in contact with a small book by E.W.Kenyon titled "Jesus The Healer" I read and read, i realised that Jesus has borne away not just my sin but all my sickness as well. I followed the instructions in the book ,  i stopped my drugs, Malaria soon hit me ;vomitting,pains, cold ,heat,weakness. Then i remember what Kenyon taught , then I began to confess "by his stripes I was healed" "by his stripes, " etc. 30 mins after every symtoms disappeared .I had 2 more attacks later that year and no more drugs despite the mosquitoes then.ever since that time no more malaria. Now 20 years after, No more malaria.  Just a small book. I had to go and pack all kenyons books in print for my library.

Dont give the devil chance in your life, belive in Gods word. Why will I deny the things that has worked for me and is working for me and for hundreds of millions of people. Edakun jare .The word works!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Enigma(m): 9:30am On Feb 17, 2010
Joagbaje

You can practice what you like; you can practice "the word works", you can follow Kenyon ----- as long as you do NOT call it Christianity! Call it "Word of Faith", "blab and grab", "health and wealth" ---- just not Christianity.

For the "testimony" you've given, you will find many who will give the same but instead of attributing it to Kenyon will attribute it to Guru Maharaji, Bhagwan, Ogun, Sango, Yemoja and such like. But those ones at least do not claim their faith to be Christianity!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by okgerald(m): 10:30am On Feb 17, 2010
make dollars cool

Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by KunleOshob(m): 1:25pm On Feb 17, 2010
Chei, see what these criminals have turned christianity to cry
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by ogajim(m): 4:55pm On Feb 17, 2010
May God deliver us from the false doctrines/preachers, It continues to amaze me what people will do for money cry
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Nezan(m): 6:12pm On Feb 17, 2010
You can never serve God and mormon!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by aletheia(m): 6:15pm On Feb 17, 2010
Joagbaje:

Let me share a testimony with you if you care; I used to be sick of malaria almost every week , from childhood, People told me i would grow tall , that that is why i fall sick often, I consoled myself that I will be able to play basket ball in future as a tall man. But at the age of 21,I had a miracle drug called sunday sunday medicine , Every week i just take it, i lived on that drug to prevent malaria. I came in contact with a small book by E.W.Kenyon titled "Jesus The Healer" I read and read, i realised that Jesus has borne away not just my sin but all my sickness as well. I followed the instructions in the book , i stopped my drugs, Malaria soon hit me ;vomitting,pains, cold ,heat,weakness. Then i remember what Kenyon taught , then I began to confess "by his stripes I was healed" "by his stripes, " etc. 30 mins after every symtoms disappeared .I had 2 more attacks later that year and no more drugs despite the mosquitoes then.ever since that time no more malaria. Now 20 years after, No more malaria. Just a small book. I had to go and pack all kenyons books in print for my library.

As a physician, let me start by saying that your testimony is suspect. Children and younger people get malaria more frequently than older people. This is simply because resistance to malaria is built up over the years as the body's immune system gets more exposed to the malaria parasite, so that as you get older the symptoms often get less severe and your body can actually in some cases deal with the infection without drugs. Secondly, your symptoms may not even have been malaria but simply the flu which is often mistaken for malaria in our environment due to the similar symptoms. The body can take care of the flu virus without drugs. Thirdly, the mind exerts a powerful influence on the body, hence the existence of psychosomatic disorders and the well documented placebo effect. Never underrate the power of suggestion.

During my national service, I witnessed firsthand, the evil fruit of the prosperity gospel. Late one night, while I was on emergency duty, a "pastor" brought in his 3-year old son who was severely ill, anemic (''short of blood"wink and dehydrated. Questioning revealed that this innocent child had been ill for over a week. Instead of taking the child to hospital where a few tablets would have cured the child, the father kept the child at home, praying over the child and claiming that the child was healed. Unfortunately the child's condition continued to deteriorate. Tragically, while trying to resuscitate the child, he died. I well remember the father's anguished cry when he realized the boy was dead: "O God why? After all that I have done to serve you, why?"

What I find profoundly disturbing in this incident is that what can make a father lose his compassion for his suffering sick child and refuse to take him for available, affordable and potentially life saving treatment until it is too late?

The problem with the proselytizing purveyors of prosperity is that their worldview is riddled with illogical consistencies which they refuse to see because they have been blinded by greed and covetousness and thus ignore key scriptures which demolish their doctrines

1Tim 6:6-11 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Miracles do occur but not as commonly as some people suppose and from the biblical perspective when they do occur it is always for a signal purpose
Rev 19:10 . . . worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by mbaemeka(m): 1:24am On Feb 18, 2010
@ aletheia

concerning your earlier post

Let me make an attempt to correct some of the jargons you put up there as truth.

Your problem is indeed a religious one…,

Now this may rattle your theology but you see, we don’t take after the Jesus that lived prior to his death (the accounts where only written to prove he was the messiah) we take after the resurrected Jesus. That’s why when people say they’re doing the sign of the cross, I always ask what happened at the cross? (Now I have nothing against the cross) but Jesus died there. He was buried. He rose again and he ascended; now he sits at the right hand of God not the right hand side which means he is at the place of power- the throne. It’s like saying he’s God’s right hand man (the man who holds the weapon). So why isn’t there a sign of the throne?

The bible says he was delivered for our offences and raised for our justification Rom 4:25. meaning he died for us, and was raised to ensure that we got what he died for. Salvation doesn’t mean we were drowning and he rescued us, rather it means he took our place in the river of sin. He died in our place.

So what did he die for? What did he come for?

In his own words he said…”I’m come that they might have Zoë .dying on the cross was only a means to this end.

You should on your own carry out a study on Zoë then you’d understand what the real gospel of Jesus Christ is about.

Lets isolate a case- Jesus at a point said we were to love our neighbors as we love ourselves….much later while talking to his disciples he said they were to love as he(Christ) had loved them John 15:12. Or

He also said at one point- forgive so that your heavenly father will forgive you (this was according to the Law of Moses; ‘eye for an eye…)

Later on scripture says we should forgive as God for Christ’s sake has forgiven us Eph 4:32…do you see the contrast? The law before was a compulsory love the lord your God, with all your body, soul, mind, But now we can love him (God) easily because he loved us first and love is our new nature.

When Jesus went into the temple to preach, he opened the book of esaias the prophet and said…the spirit of the lord is upon me… that I should preach the Gospel to the poor: he had sent me to heal the broken hearted: to preach deliverance to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the lord.
What isn’t clear to you here?

Jesus had a home. He lived in Capernaum. The bible says in john 1:38-39 the first two disciples – Andrew and john followed him there. They stayed there till late in the night because they heard him speak gracious words: words that edified the listeners. I know you may want to argue- so you can read it for yourself. After he was chased out of Nazareth for healing on the Sabbath he relocated to Capernaum, Luke 4:31 this was before he went to the house of Simon peter in vs. 38.

When he said “foxes have holes…but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head” you also have to realize that he had just entered Samaria for a crusade but the Samaritans did not prepare for him- they did not reserve a place for him to stay. Didn’t you notice his disciples where angry they said “let us command fire on them like Elijah did”…. Jesus rebuked them and told them “ye know not what manner of spirit ye have” implying that they didn’t understand the gospel if they thought it was about rebuke.

Who did Jesus rebuke? People who knew his word? No, no a thousand times no! he always rebuked the religious folks! The Pharisees! Those that said “isn’t that a carpenter’s son how says he then that he came from heaven?” the ones who thought they were always right and even Jesus was wrong. The ones that tried (forcefully) to shove down their Satan supported doctrines down the throats of the minors. The ones who wouldn’t lift a load but cause others to lift trucks; the ones who haven’t entered the kingdom and are trying to make many like themselves. He called them vipers-malicious, ungrateful and treacherous.

Didn’t you also notice the bible said a man offered to follow Jesus everywhere then Jesus said, ”even foxes have where to stay…but the son of man has nowhere to lay his head “(in Samaria)….duuuuh?

Jesus wore good clothes…he had an expensive jacket he wore that even the roman soldiers cast lots for. His garment was shared in four and each soldier took a piece home. Why?

The bible says multitudes ran after him- some wanted to touch him, some wanted to see him…you don’t want to touch and see an ugly man now do you?

When the prophet said he had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him it showed he wasn’t the idea people had of a messiah. They thought he (the Christ) would come in his glory (the way we expect him during his second coming) that’s why they weren’t attracted to him.

The gospel (true and complete one) we preach produces the same result; hatred; terror and adoration

Hatred from the religious people who say we make everything “feel good”

Terror to the kingdom of darkness because the more prosperous Gods people are the more impart they’d make in reaching the world with the Gospel.

Adoration from people who need it; The lost now know they’re saved; sinners now know they’re forgiven; the poor now know they’re rich; the sick now know they’re healed. This is the Gospel!

Talking about seed Jesus once asked a little boy for his lunch- five loaves and two fish…he fed the multitude with it (twelve baskets remained) and I’m sure he gave the remnants to the little boy because he said “give and it shall be given unto you…good measure, pressed down….shall MEN give unto you”

The gospel is not about sin but about righteousness.Rom1:17

We are aware that sin is in the world- it came through the first Adam. See, it’s easy to preach sin and condemnation because it’s easy to complain- even unbelievers can preach sin. But when it comes to righteousness people shy away yet righteousness came through the second and last Adam- Jesus Christ. He is our righteousness. This is what sinners need to hear so that they’d know they have dominion over sin. This is righteousness consciousness.
Don’t complain about darkness just turn on the light….you catch my drift?

You should ask yourself whether you’re in the position to talk about power, justice and wrath of God.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of God! Rom 1:16 it is powerful enough to make the poor-rich whilst saving them from hell.

People like your lot that keep using caustic words and keep pointing accusing fingers should be reminded of Gods justice and wrath. God (the word) is the only Judge!

….Without “faith” it is impossible to please God…

Jesus said “ if you abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what “ye” will and it shall be done unto you”…isn’t it a contrast from 1john 5:14? Or rather is your own understanding distorted?

After all , ”All the promises of God in Christ Jesus are yea and amen” meaning God always says “yes” when we ask in Christ Jesus or rather in the -character or better still name of Christ Jesus.

So what did john mean?

Well, he said “if we ask according to his will he hears us, notice he said he hears us not he will do it but he hears us meaning if we don’t ask according to his will he will not hear us. Do you need a grammarian?
This simply means it’s the way we ask that matters not what we ask because if we abide in Christ and his words abide in us we will ask what we will and it will be given.

The bible says we should ask in faith: without doubting and we should ask in the name of Jesus.

It’s like trying to phone a friend, if you dial the wrong number your friend will not hear you. It’s not that he/she didn’t want to, it’s just that you asked the wrong way…get it?

This is getting tiring…Jesus said to the rich young ruler “have you obeyed the commandments? He responded “all these I have kept since my youth” then Jesus said “Go and sell what you have” …do you see the wealth wasn’t the issue, if it was Jesus would have said it first but he didn’t, he asked the more important first which was the commandment. It was after this, that he said, ”how hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom”, He didn’t say how hard it is for the saved rich folks he said the “rich”. I’m not splitting hairs, he was trying to say some rich people would think they would make it into the kingdom because they where rich and the people then saw riches as a blessing from God. Hence the, Carmel-eye of a needle comparison…

The eye of the needle was like a passage: a window like door too small for a person to enter with his Carmel. One would have to get down from the Carmel, help it get through and then get through himself. Didn’t you also see that the disciples where surprised “they said who then can be saved?” Jesus said with man it is impossible but not with God, In other words a rich man can enter -just ONLY with God.

I really don’t like doing this but I feel obligated to help you out. Just keep an open mind. Selah!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Joagbaje(m): 2:50am On Feb 18, 2010
@ mba emeka
thank you a thousand times! What a light!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by mbaemeka(m): 3:15am On Feb 18, 2010
@ Joagbaje

thenk you too sir! i'v really learnt alot from you. especially the tree of knowledge topic,
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by dvoyles: 7:10am On Feb 18, 2010
Praise the Lord! It is like a virus in one's soul when the preacher starts talking about miracle money. The Bible says in 1 Timothy 6:10, "For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." That is why I wrote a book that rebukes these practices and shows the correct way to lead the congregation called, A Shepherd's Trial: Feeding or Fleecing the Flock of God? It can be found by following this link: http://www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/AShepherdsTrial-FeedingOfFleecingTheFlockOfGod.html
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by jaffi: 9:45am On Feb 18, 2010
Most time i wonder why most xtians don't get to see the light in God's word about prosperity.
Now i am talking about MONEY! MONEY though money is not all there is in the scriptures but throughout the scriptures you see God promising His kids abundance money-supply-MONEY BLESSING.
I began to think in this line-why pple- xtians and other alike have problem with pastors taking about MONEY but there is no way you can successfully/completely preach the GOSPEL-GOOD NEWS-that you will not talk about MONEY.
Let me ask you if the GOSPEL means GOOD NEWS then what is the GOOD NEWS TO THE POOR=MONEY(WEALTH)
What is the GOOD NEWS to the SICK,THE DISEASED=HEALTH.
Naturally speaking we all want/need MONEY that is why we working 5days even for some they work 7days round the clock just to make money and we go ahead and criticize preachers talking about money as though it's an abomination to do so!

when we say RICH,we mean ability to have enough for yourself and family(nuclear & extended family) and to help the society at large.
so think if you want be a millionaire or NOT!
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by dvoyles: 9:59am On Feb 18, 2010
James; the brother of Jesus, reminded the young Christians to not get caught up in the material trappings by saying, "Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?" (James 2:5) while Jesus told the disciples the Good News to rejoice about in Luke 10:20, "Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven."
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by jaffi: 10:33am On Feb 18, 2010
@ EMeka and Joagbaje,
you guys are really trying in this NL.
love you for your insight into the realities of God's word.
i salute your courage and patient to explain.
this is the victory that overcome the word even our(your)faith.

you see people don't like it when attention is given to another man.
it's natural to feel the way they are feeling.

for all others,who don't believe in the message of faith search your heart
ask yourself a sincere question.
ask the HOLY spirit -the ultimate teacher to tell you the truth
present to him the two sides and ask him to explain to you.
he will if you have Him -1 then 2. He will teach you if you let him.
the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword
it divide the intent of the heart.

concerning the word of faith:
let me ask if anyone could explain this
HEB 11 6: for without faith it's impossible to please God, ?
Re: "Most Christians Infected With Prosperity Gospel" by Zikkyy(m): 10:36am On Feb 18, 2010
@mba emeka, I don’t know what the argument between you and aletheia is all about, but I do find some interesting comments in your post I like you to clarify. I think its good for third parties like us reading your post. If we can find the necessary clarification in your previous posts, it would be nice if you guide me

mba emeka:

Adoration from people who need it; The lost now know they’re saved; sinners now know they’re forgiven; the poor now know they’re rich; the sick now know they’re healed. This is the Gospel!

I would appreciate if you can explain this further especially the “poor now know they are rich” part. Thanks

mba emeka:

Talking about seed Jesus once asked a little boy for his lunch- five loaves and two fish…he fed the multitude with it (twelve baskets remained) and I’m sure he gave the remnants to the little boy because he said “give and it shall be given unto you…good measure, pressed down….shall MEN give unto you”

I don’t think its right for you to make such assumption. You don’t know really.

mba emeka:

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the power of God! Rom 1:16 it is powerful enough to make the poor-rich whilst saving them from hell.

I need so clarifications here as well. I need to understand how the gospel makes the poor rich. Thanks

mba emeka:

Jesus said “ if you abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what “ye” will and it shall be done unto you”…isn’t it a contrast from 1john 5:14? Or rather is your own understanding distorted?

mba emeka:

Well, he said “if we ask according to his will he hears us, notice he said he hears us not he will do it but he hears us meaning if we don’t ask according to his will he will not hear us. Do you need a grammarian?
This simply means it’s the way we ask that matters not what we ask because if we abide in Christ and his words abide in us we will ask what we will and it will be given.

I find it difficult to reconcile the posts above. My understanding of your interpretation here is that if we ask in faith we receive. But my question is, how does my faith or belief that i will receive whatever I desire equates to God’s will for me? Thanks.

mba emeka:

The bible says we should ask in faith: without doubting and we should ask in the name of Jesus.

mba emeka:

It’s like trying to phone a friend, if you dial the wrong number your friend will not hear you. It’s not that he/she didn’t want to, it’s just that you asked the wrong way…get it?

I have another problem here. I a bit confused by this. Looking at the first post, my thoughts would be if I dial a wrong number in faith, my friend will hear me. Some clarifications again please. Thanks

mba emeka:

Jesus said to the rich young ruler “have you obeyed the commandments? He responded “all these I have kept since my youth” then Jesus said “Go and sell what you have” …do you see the wealth wasn’t the issue, if it was Jesus would have said it first but he didn’t, he asked the more important first which was the commandment. It was after this, that he said, ”how hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom”, He didn’t say how hard it is for the saved rich folks he said the “rich”. I’m not splitting hairs, he was trying to say some rich people would think they would make it into the kingdom because they where rich and the people then saw riches as a blessing from God.

The gospel is not about making a Christian rich. I am happy you bring this up. I especially like the part highlighted above. Its says a lot about the way we see the prosperity.  

Out of the need to learn here, i would also like to ask, who is the saved rich man? Is it the rich man that gives away his property to stay rich (based on the concept of give and receive more)? Is it the man that gives away his property out of love to meet the need of brother or sister (and probably end up poor in the process)? Some education here will be appreciated. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are You Preparing how to be living From September 2015 / Why You Should Ignore Atheists / How Do Atheists Explain Miracles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.