Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,525 members, 7,954,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:40 PM

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (14040 Views)

522 West Africans Repatriated From Gabon Over Illegal Travel Papers / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by lafile(m): 3:13pm On Apr 29, 2013
Planning to spend August in Tanzania, Botswana and South Africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Marineetyon(m): 3:15pm On Apr 29, 2013
Because this s no security in Africa.but I guarantee any nairalander security and happiness in the land of milk and honey- akwa abasi ibom state in Jesus name. Spend less, travel to aks and have a nice holiday.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Venchy: 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2013
tpia.:
because they ran away from poverty and dont want to run back to it

or be reminded of it

Very true, more so there's attractive to them after many years in Africa. ....that's the secret behind not going on holiday, security & other infrastructure that will enable you to have a comfortable holiday is a doubt...especially in Nigeria, our leaders have no clue what they are loosing in the world of tourism......Loooool.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by obi123: 3:33pm On Apr 29, 2013
morpheus24: Europeans spend their time traveling their continent which keeps the currency within their region, creates different culturela awareness, helps create a tourist industry and promotes jobs,

The Americans are the same way and would tavel more within the US that say taking a trip to South Africa.

Why don't we a Africans promote tourism more within our borders and keep the currency within these borders.

I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=7510&edition=2&ttl=20100215163807

i want to believe that there is a tourism industry in each African country they have the duty to encourage people to come to their countries, they need to entice us , they need to big up their countries tourist attractions , they need to wow us as consumers , pictures, literature, functional websites,they need to pally with travel agents to create solid holiday packages that includes start to finish process of organizing a holiday.

MARKETING BASICALLY!!!!

we as consumers need to know what experience they are offering before we start taking annual leave and buying ticket.We cant book our holidays based on sentiments

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by An0nimus: 3:40pm On Apr 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's an Informational and timeless thread. So, the age shouldn't matter.
Truth. I read virtually all the comments on this thread and I must say I learnt something off NL todaysmiley
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by vascey(m): 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2013
morpheus24:

Don't think so

The real reason is Africans see european destinations as desirable because they are programmed to believe these are the best destinations to go to.

I mean I am not saying one should spend every waking moment in Africa but put it on the table as a possibel destination.

The truth is really this simple!!! It's all about marketing.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by tpia5: 3:52pm On Apr 29, 2013
and are africans doing any marketing?

check politics section for an ongoing thread about the garbage dumps in africa, started by a black nigerian, then go to travel section to see an ongoing thread about the beauty of kenya, opened by a white or non-black.

nuff said.

let me post the threads here.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by tpia5: 3:55pm On Apr 29, 2013
the dirtiness that is nigeria (ongoing thread in politics section, opened by a nigerian):

https://www.nairaland.com/1272973/dirtiness-nigeria

kenya thread: (ongoing thread since 2007, no single picture of any rubbish dump in kenya, which coincidentally, has non-black native populations)

https://www.nairaland.com/51356/nairobi-photos-kenya-beautiful-east
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by tpia5: 3:56pm On Apr 29, 2013
someone should explain that marketing jingle again.

face it, we blacks traditionally do not do tourism, thats a white thing as evidenced by the kenya thread.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by tpia5: 3:58pm On Apr 29, 2013
Venchy:

Very true, more so there's attractive to them after many years in Africa. ....that's the secret behind not going on holiday, security & other infrastructure that will enable you to have a comfortable holiday is a doubt...especially in Nigeria, our leaders have no clue what they are loosing in the world of tourism......Loooool.

plus the witches and wizards back home who are against their family's progress, dem fit dey inside other parts of africa too.

or anywhere you see blacks.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 29, 2013
malaika: Nice post Morpheus cool I'm passionate about travel within Africa, there's so much to see and learn and rich culture all over Africa. I also like the fact that I can blend in and not stand out wink

Money and perceptions are an issue, but I get your point about Africans being willing to spend money going to Europe/US. I noticed that flights are quite expensive within the continent, even more than travelling to Europe sometimes. I went on holiday to Morocco some time ago and had to fly via Spain first because direct flight from SA to Morocco with SAA was ridiculously priced. Also been to Ghana, and I drive to Victoria Falls anytime I please plus I live in a tourist destination country and take full advantage of that, the best safari lodges and beaches (ok I'm biased here grin) are at my doorstep. I know some SA-hater on NL will soon tell me about our crime and how many SAns can afford such holidays but I'm talking about myself and I'm not rich just a normal working person who has to budget for a holiday.

My dream African holiday - 4x4 drive through West Africa, starting Cameroon - Nigeria - Benin - Togo - Ghana - B.Faso - Mali (Timbuktu, Djenne all that history) ending in Senegal (Goree Island etc) now that would be great and it will happen!! Africa Rocks!! grin
camerooon is not west africa
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by iyaayi(f): 4:18pm On Apr 29, 2013
Am off to Ghana (Tema & environs) die long vacation wt my family!!
Afica Rocks tremendously!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 29, 2013
We don't want to get kidnapped undecided
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Bidvest2020: 4:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Studio 53 on MNet features African tourist destinations. Most of the people in Africa who can afford travel watch Mnet anyway.
so,why r u planning a road trip to Ghana this year if 'it's like Nigeria' n all hype?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by anonimi: 4:46pm On Apr 29, 2013
londoner: OP, the same reason why they wont "buy African" in general. They feel anything outside is automatically better. Going abroad outside Africa for a holiday is seen as a status symbol and they see western countries and western people in that light. I do think its a West African thing though. If you speak to other Africans they tend to travel a bit more in their region.

Africans/Nigerians tend to travel for status/business or family. People of other cultures travel for pleasure/ exposure and personal education/growth.

The highlighted portion talks about the essence of the issue here.
We don't REALLY relax as Africans/Nigerians NOWADAYS.
The middle class (& above) people used to in the period before & after independence- go to beaches, travel across the country with family to visit historic sites, museums, parks, zoos etc.

However the military coups and subsequent rat race for money WITHOUT necessarily producing anything distorted our changing values rapidly. Therefore you see people who

* work/hustle Monday-Friday,
* attend several parties/owambes under different guise on Saturdays and
* are in church/muslim meetings etc on Sundays.

In short, earn the money and flaunt it to your neighbour while also seeking connection to earn even more to flaunt better.

And we don't appreciate REAL eductaion, which is different from going to school or attending some course and getting a certificate for the same reasons I stated above; military bastardisation of evolving civilisation post-independence.

Any wonder why more & more people are dying at a younger age these days

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Afritop(m): 4:47pm On Apr 29, 2013
BESIDES SOME POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC DISTURANCIES IN THE CONTINENT COUPLED WITH HARSH WEATHER CONDITIONS, THE FRENCH FAMILY THAT WAS RECENTLY FREED BY BOKO HARAM AFTER A REPORTED RANSOM OF 500 MILLION NAIRA WAS PAID WILL KNOW BETTER WHY SOME AFRICANS DONT WANNA TRAVEL TO SOME OTHER AFRICAN COUNTRIES HOTSPOTS.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Ribaman(m): 5:10pm On Apr 29, 2013
Have you bothered to consider the hassles that come with travelling within Africa! Do you know that until recently, London and Paris were the best hubs for travel within Africa?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by anonimi: 5:10pm On Apr 29, 2013
Any smart entrepreneur and policy maker reading through this thread should see opportunities for making good money organising tours in Nigeria and West Africa generally.
Best of luck.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by deor03(m): 5:26pm On Apr 29, 2013
Reasons Below
1. Awareness: A lot of Africans don't know of the tourism potentials in Africa.The African cities or tourism boards are also doing a bad job about this.
2. Cost: It costs cheaper most time to travel to London than to Zanzibar. The logistics usually are smoother to visit Europe or America than African countries.Perhaps most difficult bit for Europe & America is the visa.
3. Mindset: An average Nigerian will want to tell friends that S/he been to Newyork than to brag about Nairobi
4. Do we go on Vacation: Most Nigerians rather go shopping than vacation in the true sense of it. So when we travel abroad, it's usually about what to buy than sights to see.
5. Hotels vs Staying with relatives: Average Nigerians that travel for "vacation", stay with relatives rather than Hotels. It's rather easier to get a relative in DC than in Banjul.That's is why most people visit the cities,where their relatives are.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 29, 2013
@op ur post is far frm d truth, sometime ago when I was travelling frm frankfurt(germany) 2 las vegas(usa) evryone on board were tourist , perharps on hoildays. Stop rumour
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by hardbody: 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2013
bandiejay: what is there in africa to look? The Asorock? lagos Ibadan express road? kai? lastman? police taking 20naira? bar beach? may be am making a mistake somebody should explain futher what is there to look or may be Jos where hausa man will cut your head for suya lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Your position came across as a bit shallow. There are interesting places to visit in Nigeria. Ever heard about the Calabar carnival, Obudu Cattle ranch and indeed the Azumini blue beaches amongst others.

It is this attitude of writing off everything Nigerian that creates the disincentive for the average Nigerian to spend vacation either here in Nigeria or oter destinations in the African continent.

I hold my personal views about vacations abroad, if my visits abroad bother on job related issues, i have no issues with those, but i take time to plan out my vacation within this continent of ours, and i have had a few including Nigeria. I have never been a fan of holidaying abroad and the reasons go beyond affordability as people working with me at much lower levels convenieintly afford to take those trips yearly, some even twice or more.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by babyboy3(m): 5:59pm On Apr 29, 2013
(1) Nigeria is not a tourist destination for holiday goers and has never been one This is why places like Kenya, Zimbabwe, Gambia, SA, Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco attracts visitors from around the world and they make millions or billions of $$$$ from Tourism...

(3) Now I don't know how much a flight ticket from Lagos to Accra (may be around £250), but I am definitely sure its way expensive than London to Munich, Paris, Rome or to all the Canary Islands! even a return ticket from London to Hamburg could be got for around 60 euros....

What am saying is that its cheaper to move around Europe than in Africa and can we stop the we prefer Europe bullshit... cities like Nairobi, Harare, Cairo, Jo'burg etc all make there from Europeans, Asians, Americans etc.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by biolabee(m): 6:24pm On Apr 29, 2013
beneli:

I think Dis Guy has a point here! Another point, i guess, is that people don't actually know what we have in our back yard. We are not very good at selling our tourist attractions so it doesn't really sound cool to say you spent your holiday in Ouagadougou. Coming back from Paris sounds a lot cooler!

But, honestly though, we need to begin exploring our backyards. There are a lot of interesting experiences that could be had, if one isn't too taken to the whole luxury thing. I did a land (and rail) journey across West Africa once. It took me through Benin, Togo and then Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal and then ending up in Gambia.  I had wanted to follow the trail of the river Niger and had fantasies of going up to it's source (they say it starts in the Futta Djallon mountains somewhere between Senegal and Gambia). Unfortunately, it wasn't all pleasant. There was a lot of unsavoury encounters with immigration officials that wanted to be 'bribed' in order to let me through, even though i held an ECOWAS passport; emotionally draining encounters with young Nigerians enroute to a place they called Las Palmas, from where they planned to eventually enter Europe and sob stories from the half-crazed bunch stranded in places with names like Tambacounda, after they had been repatriated from Europe and were now feeling too ashamed to make the journey homewards. There was also the whole getting to experience first hand what our cousins in ECOWAS think of us-they don't think very highly of us because of the reputation we have for fraud, drug dealing etc.

In spite of the negatives, it was still an experience richer than i have ever had visiting the concrete jungles of New York, Berlin or Moscow; or even visiting half forgotten Orthodox churches clustering around the black sea in eastern europe and middle Asia. I will make that West Africa journey again one day. This time i will ferry up to Cape Verde for the 'Latin America' experience it supposedly offers in our backyard.

Africans don't spend their holidays more in Africa because a lot of us don't know that, in spite of her troubles, Africa is still the most naturally beautiful continent.  I don't mind being called prejudiced for the bolded part of my statement-not at all!

beneli i love this
can you put up a thread about this.. like a journal

I spent ten days in Ghana about 4 years ago
I made sure it was not just the usual though

Osu, Cape Coast, Kumasi, Volta n tema(reminded me of festac)

In Kumasi i went to the Ashantehene palace and lake Bosumtwi
In the Volta Region, i went as far as the Wli Waterfalls from where you can see mountains and even Togo

I stayed in a 10 cedi student motel and i slept clutching my laptop as i was sorta apprehensive but it was nice
Ghana palmie too is nice

I planned to do Abidjan but have never had the time
Na shopping do me now undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by biolabee(m): 6:36pm On Apr 29, 2013
Stalemate: @op.. The truth is that some countries in Africa that attracts tourism are one way or the order a zone of doom... Lets take Nigeria as a paradigm. Imagine yourself thinking of travelling to NORTH. I think that can only be possible when you think that you're an article of no commercial value to your family nd your well wishers. Why? Its b'cos THE BOKO~BOYZ are on the alert to send your innocent soul to the great beyund. And IT WILL NEVER BE YOUR PORTION. Think of going to south~east, definately you're preparing your family 4 dinner nd a hexagona table dilague with d ruthless 'man~naperz' also, in the south west, some ugly phenonmenon lyk the gentle men on d high way who are ready to compel you to surrenda your lyf of your money. Moving outsyd 9ja, some tourist that went to explore countries lyk LYBIA,IVORY COAST,EGYPT e.t.c some years back, they were caught unaware by d unrest dat sent many soul 4 exploration in d great beyund. So, tell me, why wouldn't they prefer other continents to Africa? Remember, your topic centres on holiday. I think holiday is to be accomplined by peace and not chaos... 4 me, going to continents lyk europe,america e.t.c wil certainly top my priorty list if am to travel 4 a holiday.

LOL.. like the way you put it/...
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by biafranqueen: 8:10pm On Apr 29, 2013
Tell them 000 Spending hard earn money on material things instead of enrichment when will we wake up
morpheus24:

You obviously haven't been to many Safaris

As far as shopping is concerned. thats the major problem. How can a holiday be necessarily about shopping. I am guessing thats what relaxes the average African. The ability to buy goodies and return back home.

don't you think the issue is with perception and don't you think this should change.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by trolling(m): 8:11pm On Apr 29, 2013
kadman:

How did you draw the above conclusion up ? I'm at a Uni in UK. .  And all my exposed European and British friends have travelled to Africa / Middle East, they wouldn't even take anyone who hasn't been to North,Cental and South America seriously. This coming summer they are all hecking us that they want to visit Nigeria, I've told my friends that my hand no dey that one o
lol grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2013
Why should I undecided Looking at Europe for Instance, The schengen Visa enables you travel to over 25 countries in europe by air, road or train. The same cannot be said about Africa because not all countries are visa free.
Lets not talk of the horrible experience travelling through west african countries by road. angry
The customs officers, immigration officers and touts will be hell bent on frustrating your journey angry angry
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by MrCork: 10:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
......huh?...which africa?? ...who want to stay around moskito??angry
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 29, 2013
souldust: camerooon is not west africa
its west central Africa. On the African map it is bordered by Nigeria to the west.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by vandarsar(m): 11:02pm On Apr 29, 2013
No one goes to Paris for a holiday unless they are thinking of getting away.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by nigerfine: 11:13pm On Apr 29, 2013
Very interesting,I guess the reasons will be well articulated
1hype over developed world......,,everybody want a feel of developed wold,after the taste of it before you think of any other place
2african countries are not manufacturing hubs,many African holiday makers usually head to where they will buy things they think they need and the cost in the place is very high. The savings alone might cater for minimum of one quarter of the fare,other African countries might not give them the opportunity to buy the high standard stuff at that price. This is more or less the most common reason , believe me, European tourist to Houston want to go to the malls before any other place,,,,,,,,,just like African tourists
3cost,we o not have chep fares from one African country to the other because of the low patronage,this is attributed to wealth at our disposal
4safety
5non advertisement
I live in Houston, USA , I've seen a lot that I dream of having my holidays at Israel,Egypt,Gabon,cape verde but this wouldn't have been my priority if I lived in nigeria all my life.meanwhile, obudu on my mind at next visit to my Niger

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PMS: Road Transport Owners Call Off Strike, Reach Agreement With FG / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Xenophobia: Nigerians Hail Allen Onyema, Air Peace For Airlifting 187 Returnees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.