Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,964 members, 7,952,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:55 AM

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (14036 Views)

522 West Africans Repatriated From Gabon Over Illegal Travel Papers / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 3:48pm On Mar 03, 2010
^^
That's surprising.
Anyway, Dubai visa (UAE Visa I mean) is usually between $200-300, and it requires only your passport data page.
However, I hope you're not planning to disappear in those countries. You no go like yourself if you try am. Na child's play be the one for UK or US.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 4:21pm On Mar 03, 2010
why would i go and live in a country where i cant speak the lingo
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 3:30pm On Mar 04, 2010
joxiri:

why would i go and live in a country where i cant speak the lingo

English is well-spoken by residents of those countries, if na that one.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 3:33pm On Mar 04, 2010
^^
That even reminds me sef.
Booked a hotel for sometime next week for Dubai. Nice 4-star with all all the amenities, going for around $70.
meanwhile I stayed in a hotel last November in Ghana, really crappy kind of guest house, and was charged $100, for practically nothing!
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 4:26pm On Mar 04, 2010
but english is not their 1st language is it
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by udojoe: 7:23pm On Mar 04, 2010
Europeans spend their time traveling their continent which keeps the currency within their region, creates different culturela awareness, helps create a tourist industry and promotes jobs,

The Americans are the same way and would tavel more within the US that say taking a trip to South Africa.

Why don't we a Africans promote tourism more within our borders and keep the currency within these borders.

I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent. ,

I disagree when you say that Africans do not patronize their tourist site. It would be more in context if we narrow it to Nigeria cos their are African countries that earnings from Tourism forms their mainstay.

Nigeria should work hard towards patrinising ours.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 07, 2010
At topic:

Because, there isn't much you can get within Africa, compared to Europe, The Americas or Australia. A vacation is meant to be time to unwind, relax. Not have to fight to get basic amenities, that are meant to come within a given package deal. Most times, Nigeria included, you have to pay "extra" to have the generator on longer than a certain time frame. Obudu Ranch is a prime example of this.

You want to travel further from your home base, and get your money's worth. If things improved within Africa, then of course more Africans would take their vacations within Africa, and enjoy themselves.

And another thing - it's not just an "African thing" - it's a "world thing". It's human nature to want to travel to a different destination, that is more diverse / different from your home base. Which is why more Europeans and Americans will travel to and vacate in Africa or Asia. It's always been the case, and will pretty much remain so. If I had a choice to have my vacation in France or Kenya, I'd choose Kenya, as France is too similar to Britain. Kenya will offer me more diversity based on my home base.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by RSA(m): 3:14pm On Mar 08, 2010
I guess when you come from a country where you struggle to get even basic stuff like electricity and drinkable tap water,it will be advisable to go on holiday to a country that offer all those things and more.And if you're from a well developed country like South Africa grin you'll definetly enjoy a country where a generator noise will sound like a jazz hit grin

Where you have to help your self in a bush for a change grin And use some Nairas to wipe yourself grin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 3:43pm On Mar 08, 2010
RSA:

I guess when you come from a country where you struggle to get even basic stuff like electricity and drinkable tap water,it will be advisable to go on holiday to a country that offer all those things and more.And if you're from a well developed country like South Africa grin you'll definetly enjoy a country where a generator noise will sound like a jazz hit grin

Where you have to help your self in a bush for a change grin And use some Nairas to wipe yourself grin

Speak for your shanty towns in the cape and johanesburg. I am sure those people wouldn't mind a holiday inthe seychelles or in kenya where they aren't reminded that they are second class citizens,

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by RSA(m): 3:55pm On Mar 08, 2010
morpheus24:

Speak for your shanty towns in the cape and johanesburg. I am sure those people wouldn't mind a holiday inthe seychelles or in kenya where they aren't reminded that they are second class citizens,

You see the difference,the Shanty towns in SA have running water and electricity 24/7 which is better than the most afluent suburbs in Lagos.
Face it Mr Mo SA has a different type of problem,Nigeria have twenty years to have our current problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 5:47pm On Mar 08, 2010
RSA:

You see the difference,the Shanty towns in SA have running water and electricity 24/7 which is better than the most afluent suburbs in Lagos.
Face it Mr Mo SA has a different type of problem,Nigeria have twenty years to have our current problems.

I don't think any one in those Shanties regardless of amenities would trade The feeling of self worth most Africans(Nigerians in particular) possess as oppossed to what SA blacks are still coming to grips with. That is more than a twenty year problem to solve.

Morpheus says' For everything you get you must give up something"
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by gallivant: 8:36pm On Mar 08, 2010
There is a lot of love in this thread,eh! sad
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 8:33am On Mar 15, 2010
bump
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 1:32am On May 14, 2011
Anyone visited an African country recently?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 8:29pm On Apr 26, 2013
anyone?> 2013

update update...?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Afam4eva(m): 12:37pm On Apr 29, 2013
suxes2005: Well, wit wat i av seen and heard so far,
if u visit European countries, u might av some oda opportunities
while if u r still in Africa, den u might be limited and moreover
no one recognized dat u travelled abroad.

SHALOM
So, you're travelling so that people will recognize that you've arrived?

If not for the security problem in Nigeria, i will begin my journey by traversing the length and breadth of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 29, 2013
Wow 2010 thread. Wonder wat the rationale is to revive this.

@topic, same reason other world frequent travellers don't consider Africa a top holiday destination. Security tops that list. Therefore the more affluent Africans visit other parts world.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by bebe2(f): 2:30pm On Apr 29, 2013
normally we spend our holidays in nigeria, but last weekend we went to rigby hall village in northwest uk for a weekend and was surprise at wat i have missed all these tears. it was beautiful in everyway and mt conscience was at peace. dnt like living in luxury wen there are hungry babies on the next street.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by stone2x: 2:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
go somalia now go do your vacation dere and com tell us ur super story
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by 1forall: 2:32pm On Apr 29, 2013
It's traceable to inferiority complex which is responsible for that desire to step on the white man's land.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 2:40pm On Apr 29, 2013
I just realized that this thread is 3 years old.

All hail NL!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Damojo: 2:40pm On Apr 29, 2013
OP, pls dont say what u dont know. I went to Jand once and never renewed my visa. Toured Europe and never enjoyed anything apart from the flavoured weed and cute ascrambos in Amsterdam. Ever since it has been African countries...Visit Banjul, Dakar, Zanzibar or Cape Verde and come and thank me later. The whites even visit this countries more and they are more friendly when in Africa. As a matter of fact, I met the MD of the company I work now in Melia Hotel, Zanzibar. My interview was done over drinks in Tanzania, I just came to LAGOS to resume!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by fonssy(f): 2:44pm On Apr 29, 2013
Am from Africa why would I spend my holliday here when I can afford to see the other side of the world? If I have the means, I would travel to the other 6 continents of the world instead of going round Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Afam4eva(m): 2:45pm On Apr 29, 2013
ItsModella: I just realized that this thread is 3 years old.

All hail NL!!
It's an Informational and timeless thread. So, the age shouldn't matter.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by freemandavid(m): 2:46pm On Apr 29, 2013
What do you mean? Most Africans spend their holidays at home so what are you saying?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Afam4eva(m): 2:47pm On Apr 29, 2013
fonssy: Am from Africa why would I spend my holliday here when I can afford to see the other side of the world? If I have the means, I would travel to the other 6 continents of the world instead of going round Africa.
Are you not from the worlde? Why not try jupiter and see what it looks like.y

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by neksummi(m): 2:53pm On Apr 29, 2013
Damojo: OP, pls dont say what u dont know. I went to Jand once and never renewed my visa. Toured Europe and never enjoyed anything apart from the flavoured weed and cute ascrambos in Amsterdam. Ever since it has been African countries...Visit Banjul, Dakar, Zanzibar or Cape Verde and come and thank me later. The whites even visit this countries more and they are more friendly when in Africa. As a matter of fact, I met the MD of the company I work now in Melia Hotel, Zanzibar. My interview was done over drinks in Tanzania, I just came to LAGOS to resume!

Good for you. Congrats.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's an Informational and timeless thread. So, the age shouldn't matter.
yeah right undecided undecided
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by drnoel: 3:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
morpheus24: Europeans spend their time traveling their continent which keeps the currency within their region, creates different culturela awareness, helps create a tourist industry and promotes jobs,

The Americans are the same way and would tavel more within the US that say taking a trip to South Africa.

Why don't we a Africans promote tourism more within our borders and keep the currency within these borders.

I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=7510&edition=2&ttl=20100215163807
not true..
I know many europeans who spend their vacation in many african countries
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Stalemate(m): 3:08pm On Apr 29, 2013
@op.. The truth is that some countries in Africa that attracts tourism are one way or the order a zone of doom... Lets take Nigeria as a paradigm. Imagine yourself thinking of travelling to NORTH. I think that can only be possible when you think that you're an article of no commercial value to your family nd your well wishers. Why? Its b'cos THE BOKO~BOYZ are on the alert to send your innocent soul to the great beyund. And IT WILL NEVER BE YOUR PORTION. Think of going to south~east, definately you're preparing your family 4 dinner nd a hexagona table dilague with d ruthless 'man~naperz' also, in the south west, some ugly phenonmenon lyk the gentle men on d high way who are ready to compel you to surrenda your lyf of your money. Moving outsyd 9ja, some tourist that went to explore countries lyk LYBIA,IVORY COAST,EGYPT e.t.c some years back, they were caught unaware by d unrest dat sent many soul 4 exploration in d great beyund. So, tell me, why wouldn't they prefer other continents to Africa? Remember, your topic centres on holiday. I think holiday is to be accomplined by peace and not chaos... 4 me, going to continents lyk europe,america e.t.c wil certainly top my priorty list if am to travel 4 a holiday.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by tpia5: 3:12pm On Apr 29, 2013
udojoe:

I mean theres lots of tourist destinations within the continent.

tourism is more of a white thing than an african one. Blacks arent so much into tourism per se, blame it on culture, lack of funds, whatever.

almost all of the "african" places mentioned on the thread, which are common tourist destinations, were made that way because they are white tourist destinations.

most black africans do not relish the thought of going somewhere they will encounter prejudice from fellow blacks on account of their origin. Besides, there's the language barrier, as mentioned by someone else on the thread. You can go for business, or livelihood, but not for leisure. lipsrsealed

Not to mention, most of the "african" destinations mentioned, have a heavy presence of non-blacks who also consider themselves native to those areas. You go there, unless you're a man who is ready for sex tourism, and/or maybe peddling drugs (any gender),you are likely to encounter severe prejudice. So why will people suffer themselves unnecessarily and on top what.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mozambique Visa & Cost.. Please Help ! / PMS: Road Transport Owners Call Off Strike, Reach Agreement With FG / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.