Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,989 members, 7,952,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:25 AM

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (14037 Views)

522 West Africans Repatriated From Gabon Over Illegal Travel Papers / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by labiyemmy(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2010
@poster

because the idea of an holiday is to sojourn or live briefly in a land you are alien to.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 12:58am On Feb 22, 2010
@labiyemmy:

@poster

because the idea of an holiday is to sojourn or live briefly in a land you are alien to.

Are you not alien to Lesotho or Mozambic or even cape verde. ,
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 1:04am On Feb 22, 2010
dancewith:

@poster

I have said it over and over, until we learn from the EU and make the AU visa free, I won't bother myself visiting any African Country. I would be the last man to pay for a visa to any African Country. I could, say, pay for a UK visa, US visa, Chinese visa etc but to pay for a an Ethopian visa, plllssss! Asides that, my friends say Tanzania is a NO NO for Nigerian visitors. What about Kenya and Egypt?? Fact is we are too primitive in how we treat fellow Africans and for someone that values courtesy, I will only go where I would be respected. Period!

If you feel the British or the Americans treat Africans poorly, I can only say this: your treatment was a product of your comportment!!!
Visa within Africa are not necessary evils and there are certain blocks within Africa usually according to region who do not have this process. e.g ecowas, eastern block consisting of tanzania kenya and ugande, the southern African countries consisting of namibia,mozmabic, botswana, South Africa and a couple of others so that's not an excuse.

As far as Tanzania is concerned. Some ignorant east Africans do have a stereotypical view of Nigerians as usual but on a one on one basis are normal as they come to Africans in general so if the issue is with Nigerians then we definitely have an image problem we need to deal withother Africans do travel around their continent apar tform Nigerians
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by RSA(m): 9:01am On Feb 23, 2010
In South Africa the goverment is trying to encourages more people to be tourists in their own country,they have a program called Short-Left which encourages domestic tourism.I think first as Africans we must develop the culture of touring.And we must first start within our countries and then our regions and through out our continent.
Research in South Africa has shown that the domestic travel/tourism has a positive impact on the local economy.I mean if more and more locals takes weekends holidays more jobs are created and also infrastructures in small towns develops.

The culture is developing in South Africa,and people now do understand that you don't have to be rich to go on a holidays,all you need is to plan ahead.Right now in SA there are leasure Clubs where you can buy holiday space and pay monthly until you've got enough credits to go where you want.

Personaly I have been to all Southern Africa countries most of them by road.I visit Mozambique every year(my father was born there,so I visits family),I also do Botswana atleast every two season,and have been going to Zimbabwe for the past three years(last year was just for holidays but the other two years was for a wedding and funeral of friends families).I did Zambia last year.Lesotho,Swaziland and Namibia are also the countries that I frequently vists.

But the places I like visiting most are in South Africa.Outside SADC I have been to Lagos for 3 days and didn't get the time to see the place but I'm happy that atleast I have touched down.Kenya and Uganda where also places I have visited.So as South African I would like to answer your question by saying the domestic tourism in Africa culture is developing,give it a time.Because Africa now is more safer than ever.

The more Africans touring their continent the more countries will relax their visa requirements,because that will be wise business decision.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 10:24pm On Feb 23, 2010
Topic

If most African cities' hotels are as overpriced-with-no value as the ones we have in Lagos or Abuja, that might be a reason. You'd get a lot more bang for your buck spending that kind of money on accommodation in the world's finest cities
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by mwanamwiwa: 2:32am On Feb 24, 2010
RSA:

In South Africa the goverment is trying to encourages more people to be tourists in their own country,they have a program called Short-Left which encourages domestic tourism.I think first as Africans we must develop the culture of touring.And we must first start within our countries and then our regions and through out our continent.
Research in South Africa has shown that the domestic travel/tourism has a positive impact on the local economy.I mean if more and more locals takes weekends holidays more jobs are created and also infrastructures in small towns develops.

The culture is developing in South Africa,and people now do understand that you don't have to be rich to go on a holidays,all you need is to plan ahead.Right now in SA there are leasure Clubs where you can buy holiday space and pay monthly until you've got enough credits to go where you want.

Personaly I have been to all Southern Africa countries most of them by road.I visit Mozambique every year(my father was born there,so I visits family),I also do Botswana atleast every two season,and have been going to Zimbabwe for the past three years(last year was just for holidays but the other two years was for a wedding and funeral of friends families).I did Zambia last year.Lesotho,Swaziland and Namibia are also the countries that I frequently vists.

But the places I like visiting most are in South Africa.Outside SADC I have been to Lagos for 3 days and didn't get the time to see the place but I'm happy that atleast I have touched down.Kenya and Uganda where also places I have visited.So as South African I would like to answer your question by saying the domestic tourism in Africa culture is developing,give it a time.Because Africa now is more safer than ever.

The more Africans touring their continent the more countries will relax their visa requirements,because that will be wise business decision.

Good incentives,thats the key.In Kenya,domestic tourists saved the tourism sector from collapse after the election violence.This was due to the fact that Kenya has a new middle class and these vacations were not affordable before.Also citizens and those of EA member states pay lower rates in hotels,parks etc.The response was encouraging and they decided to make the lower rates permanent, not to mention we can travel and settle anywhere in East Africa thanks to the new regional passport. cheesy
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 1:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
wwheelz:

Topic

If most African cities' hotels are as overpriced-with-no value as the ones we have in Lagos or Abuja, that might be a reason. You'd get a lot more bang for your buck spending that kind of money on accommodation in the world's finest cities

True, in some cases you have to beg the bloody hotel managers to put the damn generator on

I saw an advert on nairaland for a trip to 10day trip to Ghana for N125,000

a colleague spent £499 for a 2 weeks holiday in Egypt at a 4* Hotel, flights, Scuba diving lessons, and many more included with meals
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 1:55pm On Feb 24, 2010
juts found the thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-70164.128.html#msg5490269

shocked

with time and more competition it guess it will be come cheaper
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
mwanamwiwa:

Good incentives,thats the key.In Kenya,domestic tourists saved the tourism sector from collapse after the election violence.This was due to the fact that Kenya has a new middle class and these vacations were not affordable before.Also citizens and those of EA member states pay lower rates in hotels,parks etc.The response was encouraging and they decided to make the lower rates permanent, not to mention we can travel and settle anywhere in East Africa thanks to the new regional passport. cheesy

Good, now if some of you will change your attitudes and stereotypes against West Africans(particularly Nigerians) more of us might visit your lands on vacation
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by gallivant: 11:36pm On Feb 24, 2010
I think its the other way around.Nigerians typically have low opinions of other Africans.Its evident even on this thread.

dancewith:

@poster

I have said it over and over, until we learn from the EU and make the AU visa free, I won't bother myself visiting any African Country. I would be the last man to pay for a visa to any African Country. I could, say, pay for a UK visa, US visa, Chinese visa etc but to pay for a an Ethopian visa, plllssss! Asides that, my friends say Tanzania is a NO NO for Nigerian visitors. What about Kenya and Egypt?? Fact is we are too primitive in how we treat fellow Africans and for someone that values courtesy, I will only go where I would be respected. Period!

If you feel the British or the Americans treat Africans poorly, I can only say this: your treatment was a product of your comportment!!!

wink You catch my drift?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 3:11pm On Feb 25, 2010
True ^^^
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 26, 2010
what is there in africa to look? The Asorock? lagos Ibadan express road? kai? lastman? police taking 20naira? bar beach? may be am making a mistake somebody should explain futher what is there to look or may be Jos where hausa man will cut your head for suya lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:14pm On Feb 26, 2010
bandiejay:

what is there in africa to look? The Asorock? lagos Ibadan express road? kai? lastman? police taking 20naira? bar beach? may be am making a mistake somebody should explain futher what is there to look or may be Jos where hausa man will cut your head for suya lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

The post says Africa not necessarilly Nigeria. Haven't you seen exotic locations in Africa before. if not We can show you here.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by finemocha(f): 2:19pm On Feb 26, 2010
maybe if africa was safer then yes i would spend my vaca in africa. traveling is stressful, the options are limited, and im not carrying my ass to South africa where they are constantly shooting people for no good reason. plus they have white skin complexes there anyway. it africa, nigeria etc can fix all these problems then yes, maybe i and my friends can roll in for some fun. until then, cancun here i come
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2010
finemocha:

maybe if africa was safer then yes i would spend my vaca in africa. traveling is stressful, the options are limited, and im not carrying my backside to South africa where they are constantly shooting people for no good reason. plus they have white skin complexes there anyway. it africa, nigeria etc can fix all these problems then yes, maybe i and my friends can roll in for some fun. until then, cancun here i come

You are making excuses. How many tourist have you heard that died during their vacation to African countries from crime. If that were the case places like the desert festivals in mali, the sea sides of zanzibar, the ocean views of the cape and the islander destinations fot he cape verde would not be attractive.

just say you are misinformed and don't know where to go instead of all this gibberish about unsaftey and so on.

Abi you think them mexicans actually like you going to cancun

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by ziga: 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2010
@poster

Most Nigerians spend their vacation in Nigeria, some go to abuja, some go to lagos, some go places where they have families within Nigeria.

The few who travel out of the country for vacation do so because they can afford it. And its the same thing for people from other parts of the world that you used as examples. i.e europeans and americans who vacation out of their regions.

As for other african countries you have mentioned, a lot of Nigerians that can afford to go on vacations probably would not go there because its easier to travel to UK or the US for them compared to those countries. Easier in terms of getting a visa and making flight arrangements.

Also, these countries don't promote tourism, so you don't expect people to try to buy from you, what you do not advertise to sell.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 5:59pm On Feb 28, 2010
ziga the african countries actually promote tourism just not to other african countries, their tourism promotion is more directed towards the europeans

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by ziga: 6:04pm On Feb 28, 2010
joxiri:

ziga the african countries actually promote tourism just not to other african countries, their tourism promotion is more directed towards the europeans

I agree, but what i was referring to was that compared to other tourism destinations in the world they may not be doing much. So they are competing with those other countries and the man who makes more noise usually wins.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by chika98: 6:13pm On Feb 28, 2010
Maybe because some Africans consider going out of the country/Western World as a real vacation. There are some places in Africa I'd love to visit
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by THEAMAKA(f): 6:17pm On Feb 28, 2010
its too dangerous though. I would be too but scared for my life, really.
but there are so many places i want to visit, but the countries are really screwed up.
Gambia, Senegal, Angola, Cameroon, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, ect. . .
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:23pm On Mar 01, 2010
ziga:

@poster

Most Nigerians spend their vacation in Nigeria, some go to abuja, some go to lagos, some go places where they have families within Nigeria.

The few who travel out of the country for vacation do so because they can afford it. And its the same thing for people from other parts of the world that you used as examples. i.e europeans and americans who vacation out of their regions.

As for other african countries you have mentioned, a lot of Nigerians that can afford to go on vacations probably would not go there because its easier to travel to UK or the US for them compared to those countries. Easier in terms of getting a visa and making flight arrangements.

Also, these countries don't promote tourism, so you don't expect people to try to buy from you, what you do not advertise to sell.

So the real problem is tourims is not directed at other Africans in general because they expect that most Africans are too poor to visit their countries.

Now we are getting somewhere, ,
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Nobody: 8:06pm On Mar 01, 2010
RSA:

In South Africa the goverment is trying to encourages more people to be  tourists in their own country,they have a program called Short-Left which encourages domestic tourism.I think first as Africans we must develop the culture of touring.And we must first start within our countries and then our regions and through out our continent.

its true that most americans remain withiin the us

A great percentage of americans have never been out of there home state and dont have an international passport .

Same here as the chinese

Most chinese don't have an international passport and to get one is very difficult, you must have excess funds to apply for an int'l passport

why most africans don't spend their holidays more in africa

@poster

1. oppressed - everybody wants to go visit a nice place so they think whenever u get there, u will be rich instantly  grin

is because of lack of information - internet - expensive

some africans too are not ready to tell you what's happening around the world, giving people false information - greediness
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by RSA(m): 9:44am On Mar 02, 2010
@Poster maybe the other reason is people want to visit a place where when they get to it they could also get a job in it.
Africans want to visit europe or US to live.
They want a place where they could go for two weeks and come back with an accent grin
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by gallivant: 3:05am On Mar 03, 2010
THE AMAKA:

its too dangerous though. I would be too but scared for my life, really.
but there are so many places i want to visit, but the countries are really screwed up.
Gambia, Senegal, Angola, Cameroon, South Africa, Kenya, Egypt, Ghana, Ivory Coast, ect. .

Compared to: Mexico,Jamaica,Brazil,USA ?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by THEAMAKA(f): 3:09am On Mar 03, 2010
Mexico? Maybe.
maybe Cabo San Lucas in Mexico or Cancun.
Brazil? NO.
Jamaica? Maybe
and i live in the USA, so that part is irrelevant.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by gallivant: 3:15am On Mar 03, 2010
Do you think Rio is safer than Capetown or Dakar ?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by THEAMAKA(f): 3:18am On Mar 03, 2010
gallivant:

Do you think Rio is safer than Capetown or Dakar ?
you said Rio as in Rio in Brazil? if so i already answered "NO" to brazil.
why are you still asking? its apparent that i don't think its safe.
leave me jo!! i wont go to south america either.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 10:36am On Mar 03, 2010
I would still say, cross-border restrictions in Africa need to be lifted, or properly managed.

I see no point in attending a visa interview at the Kenyan or South African Embassies. Especially when I can go to Dubai, Malaysia, or Singapore, without visiting any embassy. In Dubai, I can shop, have fun, do what I want to do. Nowhere in Africa compares to the shopping malls, theme parks, and desert safaris that are available to me there. In fact, I am planning to do an Emirates round-trip to Orlando via Dubai much later this year, or early 2011, so that my family can experience Dubai.

For those who are into the 'scenic beauty' of Africa, I'd say good for you. I get around Africa on work trips anyway, and would not want to vacation in many of the countries I've visited. Only SA has tourism possibilities, and Kenya in my view is overrated. As a typical Nigerian, shopping is always part of my itinerary, and African nations offer zero possibilities there.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 10:57am On Mar 03, 2010
@ Ajanlekoko
As a nigerian can you go to Dubai, Malaysia and Singapore without going to an embassy to secure a visa?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:33pm On Mar 03, 2010
AjanleKoko:

I would still say, cross-border restrictions in Africa need to be lifted, or properly managed.

I see no point in attending a visa interview at the Kenyan or South African Embassies. Especially when I can go to Dubai, Malaysia, or Singapore, without visiting any embassy. In Dubai, I can shop, have fun, do what I want to do. Nowhere in Africa compares to the shopping malls, theme parks, and desert safaris that are available to me there. In fact, I am planning to do an Emirates round-trip to Orlando via Dubai much later this year, or early 2011, so that my family can experience Dubai.

For those who are into the 'scenic beauty' of Africa, I'd say good for you. I get around Africa on work trips anyway, and would not want to vacation in many of the countries I've visited. Only SA has tourism possibilities, and Kenya in my view is overrated. As a typical Nigerian, shopping is always part of my itinerary, and African nations offer zero possibilities there.

Okay why not cape verde. i heard mozambic is quite tourist friendly as well, Zanzibar has great resorts, The seychelles are beautiful islands. and cape verde gives you a taste of latin/mediterenean culture African style,
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 3:36pm On Mar 03, 2010
joxiri:

@ Ajanlekoko
As a nigerian can you go to Dubai, Malaysia and Singapore without going to an embassy to secure a visa?

Yep.
You can get a visa via travel agencies. You don't need to go and attend an interview in any embassy.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 3:40pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ ajanlekoko
  Really and is this a genuine visa or a runs visa, i wasnt aware
    in the case of dubai what documents will you require

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PMS: Road Transport Owners Call Off Strike, Reach Agreement With FG / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Xenophobia: Nigerians Hail Allen Onyema, Air Peace For Airlifting 187 Returnees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.