Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,766 members, 7,827,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa (13906 Views)

522 West Africans Repatriated From Gabon Over Illegal Travel Papers / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / How Long Are Your Holidays To Nigeria On Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by damola1: 9:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
As someone that's not really travelled much. I think I am in the best position to answer this.

I was in Ghana last year, it's hotter than Nigeria, so I ran back, I still have a $300 ticket, that I didn't even bother using.

Also, what's farther and more appealing is better, this year/next year, I will like to visit the UK, USA, Japan, China and countries alike, cos, their colour, weather, environment is different and more appealing.

I might consider going for the world cup, but the thought of alqaeida is slowing me thoughts down, fact is, overseas is a developed place, I don't just visit, just to go and touch water, I visit to see development, to see how I can learn one or two things, and also to command more respect among my peers.

After I have finished visiting this places, then i can start visiting african places, but surely there are some places in africa that I might just zoom off to, egypt, SA, but then again, i have more family and friends in uk, usa, china, etc,
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 9:50pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus24:

Now the bolded part is very untrue. I spent some time in Ethiopia not too long ago and the place was very relaxing, it afforded me also with the opportunity to experience a very differnt African culture and one that i will be enriched for.

Bro, let me just ask you one simple question:
Do you live and work in Africa?

damola1:

Also, what's farther and more appealing is better, this year/next year, I will like to visit the UK, USA, Japan, China and countries alike, cos, their colour, weather, environment is different and more appealing.

damola1:

fact is, overseas is a developed place, I don't just visit, just to go and touch water, I visit to see development, to see how I can learn one or two things, and also to command more respect among my peers.

After I have finished visiting this places, then i can start visiting african places, but surely there are some places in africa that I might just zoom off to, egypt, SA, but then again, i have more family and friends in uk, usa, china, etc,

morpheus24, shey you hear this guy? That's the perspective of an average Nigerian living in Nigeria![quote][/quote]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 9:59pm On Feb 16, 2010
damola1:

Did youjust think out loud or is that "colour" I see up there. How old are you?

damola1:

I might consider going for the world cup, but the thought of alqaeida is slowing me thoughts down, fact is, overseas is a developed place, I don't just visit, just to go and touch water, I visit to see development, to see how I can learn one or two things, and also to command more respect among my peers.
don't worry straight flight from naija to sa is virtually risk free.

damola1:

i can accept thatpoint
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Bro, let me just ask you one simple question:
Do you live and work in Africa?
I live and work in Africa. I also work in Europe and in America as well.

how can I compare the experiencies of African holiday destinations if I don't have an all round view of the different areas

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 10:51pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus24:

I live and work in Africa. I also work in Europe and in America as well.

how can I compare the experiencies of African holiday destinations if I don't have an all round view of the different areas

Where's your primary base? Africa, Europe, or America?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by THEAMAKA(f): 10:58pm On Feb 16, 2010
@ poster
i feel you.
i wouldn't mind spending holidays on the beahces of Gambia,Ghana,Angola,South Africa, North Africa ect ect
those places are too beautiful.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 11:11pm On Feb 16, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Where's your primary base? Africa, Europe, or America?

Now thats asking silly questions, If I spend 6 months in Abuja, 2 in ghana, another 3 in South Africa and the rest in England and I am a Nigerian.

Where do you think my primary base is?
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 11:20pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus
i dnt think thats a silly question unless its private and u decline to answer
regardless of if you travel all the world you will still have somewhere as your base
pilots and air crew do

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 11:22pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus24:

Now thats asking silly questions, If I spend 6 months in Abuja, 2 in ghana, another 3 in South Africa and the rest in England and I am a Nigerian.

Where do you think my primary base is?

undecided lipsrsealed ok sir

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 11:33pm On Feb 16, 2010
joxiri:

morpheus
i dnt think thats a silly question unless its private and u decline to answer
regardless of if you travel all the world you will still have somewhere as your base
pilots and air crew do

I am not sure if the question is trying to determine if I understand the perspective of the Average Nigerian and their travel habits as opposed to someone who has been living in isolation is some western country.

If thats the question then it is a resounding yes,
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 11:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
morpheus
I dnt think he had any other interntions other than simply asking where you reside
You might be a nigerian does not mean ur base primarily has to be in nigeria, hence why he asked the question

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 12:28am On Feb 17, 2010
This is a very interesting one!

The very first question should be why don't Africans go on holiday- they go mainly for shopping, and family visit in other countries.

Another thing is tourism is not developed in most African countries, quick access to information is very important; you can book a European holiday from your room- flight, insurance, hotel even Cabs and other things online, whilst in some parts of Africa you struggle to get information or even routes to destinations, if you notice on this board many travelling agent offering visas/tickets for European or Asian countries but ask anyone of them the price of hotels in Calabar and tickets you don't get a response.

Some Africans are mistreated even by other africans at airports, e.g Kenya and south Africa, you really don't want to get that hassle
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 9:10am On Feb 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

The very first question should be why don't Africans go on holiday- they go mainly for shopping, and family visit in other countries.

Another thing is tourism is not developed in most African countries, quick access to information is very important; you can book a European holiday from your room- flight, insurance, hotel even Cabs and other things online, whilst in some parts of Africa you struggle to get information or even routes to destinations, if you notice on this board many travelling agent offering visas/tickets for European or Asian countries but ask anyone of them the price of hotels in Calabar and tickets you don't get a response.

Some Africans are mistreated even by other africans at airports, e.g Kenya and south Africa, you really don't want to get that hassle

abi o.
One time I went to Sierra Leone for work.
The airport in Freetown was nonfunctional at the time, so we had to land @ Lungi airstrip. Lungi is an island by the way.
Then wait for a creaking old chopper to take us to the mainland. It was a nasty experience.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by suxes2005(m): 1:33pm On Feb 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

abi o.
One time I went to Sierra Leone for work.
The airport in Freetown was nonfunctional at the time, so we had to land @ Lungi airstrip. Lungi is an island by the way.
Then wait for a creaking old chopper to take us to the mainland. It was a nasty experience.

So will u lyk to go dia again?

SHALOM
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:24pm On Feb 17, 2010
joxiri:

morpheus
I dnt think he had any other interntions other than simply asking where you reside
You might be a nigerian does not mean your base primarily has to be in nigeria, hence why he asked the question

so Joxiri you are noe Ajanlekoko lawyer. Don't worry he is not on trial with me.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by joxiri: 2:27pm On Feb 17, 2010
I am not his lawyer
i just thought u were a bit harsh on him
if you didnt want to answer the question you didnt have to

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 2:30pm On Feb 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

I have never been treated as such in my travels even when I dentifiy as a Nigerian. I really think it is the demeanor you present that determines the outcome when visiting fellow African countries.

By the way don't europeans treat Nigerians even worse. I am an eye witness to the several harrassments in Europe. America is a little bit more lenient but Europe and Asia are horrible!!!

I do agree about the qucik accessibility of information for travellers and believe this is the major issue surrounding travel within Africa. You have no websites like  Trip advisor that are able to give you tips on fellow African vacationers to destinations within Africa, no quick booking processes and so on.

Thats my gripe as well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by beneli(m): 4:37pm On Feb 17, 2010
Dis Guy:

I think Dis Guy has a point here! Another point, i guess, is that people don't actually know what we have in our back yard. We are not very good at selling our tourist attractions so it doesn't really sound cool to say you spent your holiday in Ouagadougou. Coming back from Paris sounds a lot cooler!

But, honestly though, we need to begin exploring our backyards. There are a lot of interesting experiences that could be had, if one isn't too taken to the whole luxury thing. I did a land (and rail) journey across West Africa once. It took me through Benin, Togo and then Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal and then ending up in Gambia.  I had wanted to follow the trail of the river Niger and had fantasies of going up to it's source (they say it starts in the Futta Djallon mountains somewhere between Senegal and Gambia). Unfortunately, it wasn't all pleasant. There was a lot of unsavoury encounters with immigration officials that wanted to be 'bribed' in order to let me through, even though i held an ECOWAS passport; emotionally draining encounters with young Nigerians enroute to a place they called Las Palmas, from where they planned to eventually enter Europe and sob stories from the half-crazed bunch stranded in places with names like Tambacounda, after they had been repatriated from Europe and were now feeling too ashamed to make the journey homewards. There was also the whole getting to experience first hand what our cousins in ECOWAS think of us-they don't think very highly of us because of the reputation we have for fraud, drug dealing etc.

In spite of the negatives, it was still an experience richer than i have ever had visiting the concrete jungles of New York, Berlin or Moscow; or even visiting half forgotten Orthodox churches clustering around the black sea in eastern europe and middle Asia. I will make that West Africa journey again one day. This time i will ferry up to Cape Verde for the 'Latin America' experience it supposedly offers in our backyard.

Africans don't spend their holidays more in Africa because a lot of us don't know that, in spite of her troubles, Africa is still the most naturally beautiful continent.  I don't mind being called prejudiced for the bolded part of my statement-not at all!

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2010
beneli:

I think Dis Guy has a point here! Another point, i guess, is that people don't actually know what we have in our back yard. We are not very good at selling our tourist attractions so it doesn't really sound cool to say you spent your holiday in Ouagadougou. Coming back from Paris sounds a lot cooler!

But, honestly though, we need to begin exploring our backyards. There are a lot of interesting experiences that could be had, if one isn't too taken to the whole luxury thing. I did a land (and rail) journey across West Africa once. It took me through Benin, Togo and then Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal and then ending up in Gambia. I had wanted to follow the trail of the river Niger and had fantasies of going up to it's source (they say it starts in the Futta Djallon mountains somewhere between Senegal and Gambia). Unfortunately, it wasn't all pleasant. There was a lot of unsavoury encounters with immigration officials that wanted to be 'bribed' in order to let me through, even though i held an ECOWAS passport; emotionally draining encounters with young Nigerians enroute to a place they called Las Palmas, from where they planned to eventually enter Europe and sob stories from the half-crazed bunch stranded in places with names like Tambacounda, after they had been repatriated from Europe and were now feeling too ashamed to make the journey homewards. There was also the whole getting to experience first hand what our cousins in ECOWAS think of us-they don't think very highly of us because of the reputation we have for fraud, drug dealing etc.

In spite of the negatives, it was still an experience richer than i have ever had visiting the concrete jungles of New York, Berlin or Moscow; or even visiting half forgotten Orthodox churches clustering around the black sea in eastern europe and middle Asia. I will make that West Africa journey again one day. This time i will ferry up to Cape Verde for the 'Latin America' experience it supposedly offers in our backyard.

Africans don't spend their holidays more in Africa because a lot of us don't know that, in spite of her troubles, Africa is still the most naturally beautiful continent. I don't mind being called prejudiced for the bolded part of my statement-not at all!

Nice one Beneli. Your adventures are fascinating.
I'm hoping this year to drive down to Ghana from Lagos, and see how that works out.
Would not mind a few tips though.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by beneli(m): 5:11pm On Feb 17, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Nice one Beneli. Your adventures are fascinating.
I'm hoping this year to drive down to Ghana from Lagos, and see how that works out.
Would not mind a few tips though.

I don't think the journey from Lagos to Ghana (Accra) is complicated. It wasn't when i did my own West Africa adventure which was in the late 90's. Then i had gone by public transport without any defined route in mind, which made the discoveries even more exciting. I just had the final destination (which was Banjul) in mind and wanted to travel the longer route, so attached myself to other travellers from city to city-I really doubt you'd want to do that, unless of course you're as madly adventurous as i am!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by snowdrops(m): 5:13pm On Feb 17, 2010
Hasty generalization. Africans do holiday in fellow African countries. Besides anybody with the means should be allowed to move to any country in the world they so like.
Its the patronizing attitude from the western world yet again. They want we all to stay in our continent while they can travel unhindered themselves to what ever place of their choice.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 5:21pm On Feb 17, 2010
beneli:

But, honestly though, we need to begin exploring our backyards. There are a lot of interesting experiences that could be had, if one isn't too taken to the whole luxury thing. I did a land (and rail) journey across West Africa once. It took me through Benin, Togo and then Burkina Faso, Mali, Senegal and then ending up in Gambia. I had wanted to follow the trail of the river Niger and had fantasies of going up to it's source (they say it starts in the Futta Djallon mountains somewhere between Senegal and Gambia). Unfortunately, it wasn't all pleasant. There was a lot of unsavoury encounters with immigration officials that wanted to be 'bribed' in order to let me through, even though i held an ECOWAS passport; emotionally draining encounters with young Nigerians enroute to a place they called Las Palmas, from where they planned to eventually enter Europe and sob stories from the half-crazed bunch stranded in places with names like Tambacounda, after they had been repatriated from Europe and were now feeling too ashamed to make the journey homewards. There was also the whole getting to experience first hand what our cousins in ECOWAS think of us-they don't think very highly of us because of the reputation we have for fraud, drug dealing etc.

Africans don't spend their holidays more in Africa because a lot of us don't know that, in spite of her troubles, Africa is still the most naturally beautiful continent. I don't mind being called prejudiced for the bolded part of my statement-not at all!

I appreicate the experience sharing. This is what I am aimed at exposing. there are not alot of onlline outlets of African travels by Africans to give such insight into travels. The more you here of personal one on one stories the more you are equiped before embarking on such journeys and the smoother your holiday will be. Regardless of the hicups you had I can see you really cherished the experience.

I too am trying to hit cape verde as I heard it offers a ver mediternean feelind and after that will try to journey more in East Africa , the limpopo River in Zambia and so on. There is much to see within this continent and personally i am tired of the glit and glamour of European cities taht ofer you less of a welcolming atmosphere and expect you to spend spend spend in order to be appreciated and valued in the western world.

nice story,

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by beneli(m): 5:37pm On Feb 17, 2010
morpheus24:

I appreicate the experience sharing. This is what I am aimed at exposing. there are not alot of onlline outlets of African travels by Africans to give such insight into travels. The more you here of personal one on one stories the more you are equiped before embarking on such journeys and the smoother your holiday will be. Regardless of the hicups you had I can see you really cherished the experience.

I too am trying to hit cape verde as I heard it offers a ver mediternean feelind and after that will try to journey more in East Africa , the limpopo River in Zambia and so on. There is much to see within this continent and personally i am tired of the glit and glamour of European cities taht ofer you less of a welcolming atmosphere and expect you to spend spend spend in order to be appreciated and valued in the western world.

nice story,

An Indian colleague says that she did the East Africa circuit once. Her destination was Victoria falls by road from the South (i think she started off in Botswana). She can't seem to get over the experience of suddenly 'discovering' the falls in all of it's magnificence from the bush path they had stumbled on, which was rarely traveled by tourists. She and her little adventurous group had wanted to 'discover' it for themselves. And they did!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by malaika(f): 7:44am On Feb 18, 2010
::

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by morpheus24: 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2010
malaika:

OMG you went on the journey I dream of doing! I can imagine the memories you still have.

Driving from SA to Zambia via Botswana you encounter groups of elephants right on the highway shocked you haven't lived until you've had a grumpy bull elephant try to intimidate you knowing fully well that it can just flip your car over effortlessly, but we were lucky, they moved off the road and let us pass grin There's so much to see in this region (Southern Africa), booze cruize on the mighty Zambezi wink , skiing in Lesotho if you like to ski; if luxury is your thing then luxury cruise ships from Durban to Bazaruto Islands or Mozambican Islands, or from Durbs to CT; visit the sand dunes in the oldest desert (Namib); Mozambique for the great beaches and seafood; Lake Malawi, I could go on and on.

North African countries - I haven't been to Egypt but in Morocco I met the friendliest people, great food, snake charmers in the souks shocked ; I went up into the High Atlas mountains and over to the other side to the edge of the Sahara, visited old castles, even the village where the movie Gladiator was shot; shopped for carpets; rode camels; etc Africa has got a lot to offer the adventurous traveller.
I din't know you could go sking in lesotho. Now on my list,
My kind of African,  cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by suxes2005(m): 10:01pm On Feb 18, 2010
Well, wit wat i av seen and heard so far,
if u visit European countries, u might av some oda opportunities
while if u r still in Africa, den u might be limited and moreover
no one recognized dat u travelled abroad.

SHALOM
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by shotster50(m): 12:34am On Feb 19, 2010
@ Suxes2005

Why do you have to prove to anyone that you travelled?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by AjanleKoko: 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2010
In a nutshell,
Most Africans living in Africa are not particularly interested in exploring Africa. Many reasons include cost, free border movement, safety, and also the need to first visit much saner and more developed climes.
After people are saturated with the ROTW, they can now focus on Africa.

As for AjanleKoko . . . funny enough I have done quite a bit of work-related travel in Africa. This year alone, I've visited 2 West African countries I hadn't gotten to earlier. Scenic beauty, yeah, but hey, we have that in many places in Nigeria. Maybe I'll try to visit more places in Nigeria first

Driving home last night, I noticed how much Bar Beach has changed . . . so I stopped to hang out. The place is quite well done up these days. You would be surprised. Kuramo is somehow still there, and so are the Aladuras, but the beach looks a lot safer, there is parking, no area boys per se, and general aura of safety. Will be back there this evening.

And find attached as well, a shocking picture of Fajuyi Park in Ado-Ekiti. I must definitely get down there sometime soon! Just a four hour drive from Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by dancewith: 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2010
@poster

I have said it over and over, until we learn from the EU and make the AU visa free, I won't bother myself visiting any African Country. I would be the last man to pay for a visa to any African Country. I could, say, pay for a UK visa, US visa, Chinese visa etc but to pay for a an Ethopian visa, plllssss! Asides that, my friends say Tanzania is a NO NO for Nigerian visitors. What about Kenya and Egypt?? Fact is we are too primitive in how we treat fellow Africans and for someone that values courtesy, I will only go where I would be respected. Period!

If you feel the British or the Americans treat Africans poorly, I can only say this: your treatment was a product of your comportment!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by Ndipe(m): 12:22am On Feb 21, 2010
Good question. We wanna show off to our family and friends that we have been 'abroad', hence the allure in traveling to the western nation.
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 6:54pm On Feb 21, 2010
Re: Why Don't Africans Spend Their Holidays More In Africa by DisGuy: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2010
And find attached as well, a shocking picture of Fajuyi Park in Ado-Ekiti. I must definitely get down there sometime soon! Just a four hour drive from Lagos.

I saw this on TV once, not too impressed it was basically a big roundabout/Junction with an empty museum
It would have been better if it had big trees shielding it from the two main roads either side of it to reduce the noise
and exposure- it will be good for those residing in the state though nothing worth travelling for except they have other things to offer in the state

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Need Botswana Visa / Residents Stranded As Fuel Scarcity Bites Harder In Abuja / Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 21)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.